Who would best complement Havoc?

What Player Type is Best Alongside Evans?

• Pure Point Guard

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Scoring Off Guard

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Lockdown Defensive Enforcer

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Doesn't Matter, Evans can play with/adapt to anyone

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters
I've always liked Delonte West from the Cavs as that type of player who can handle and defend. But he's got about 2 years left and is on a Championship or Bust team.
:confused:

You're not serious?...
Delonte West is a dead beat. If the Cavs were smart they'd drop that looser like a bad habbit. He is the last person I want influencing our young players. He's a clown, no thanks.

Package Kevin and fillers to NO for CP3, since that franchise is sinking incredibly fast. Move Tyreke to sg, Cp3 at point, and you have one of the most versatile backcourts in th league on both offense and defense.
Those fillers would be Evans, JT and Casspi. Doesn't matter anyways, because theres not a chance in hell they're trading him. Chris Paul is a top 5 player.

Maybe we could just trade Kevin for Monta Ellis.
..again your bringing in another moron who has team cancer written all over him.

Kevin Martin is not only one of the most efficient offensive players in the league, but hes also one of the rare good guys. I think its kind of bull**** that after just 3 games we're so quick to drop the one guy who was pretty much the only bright spot on this team the past 3 years. Dude broke his wrist, the rest of the guys stepped up, now lets see if in 2 months they can keep it going when Martin comes back.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So that's my ideal scenario, you get a player who's supremely talented, but doesn't fit perfectly in the NBA, and you pair him with a phenom lyke Tyreke who hides all those issues and gives you two superstars.
That's a line of thinking I agree with. Tyreke is an unconventional player. He's too big and strong for most PGs to guard and too quick with the ball for most bigger guards. Put another unconventional player alongside him and you've made a difficult task for the defense almost impossible.

And Avery Bradley is one of the guys I'm most excited about watching this year. I think you're right that he could be an excellent fit in pretty much every way. Usually a scoring PG would be problematic, but that would actually be a good fit next to Reke. Especially if he's as good defensively as people say he is.

Last edited:
Tyreke needs to play along side someone who can score over PG's, so that the opponent can't puts their SG/SF on Tyreke for defense. Otherwise, we lose the mismatch that playing Tyreke at the PG position provides.

Man defense isn't as critical as scoring, because with most teams running their offense thru picks & screens, the defense depends as much on how our bigs show off of screens and picks, as it does on how well the guards play man.

That's why I think Martin & Cisco could be all we need to match up with Tyreke. They both have height and long range shooting capability to shot over PG's. Playing along side Beno allows teams to cover Beno with their PG and put their SG on Tyreke. That's why I don't like the Beno/Tyreke combo or the 3 guard combo, unless we're playing against an extremely undersized backcourt.

PW seems to be running more high post offense thru JT & Spencer (coachie really does have his ear), so I don't believe playmaking is a necessary skill for the SG position. So, I see Martin playing SG with Tyreke, and Cisco & Beno backing them up being two good combo's. The similar styles should also allow some continuity in the offense, whether the starters or reserves are on the floor.

Also, I think that once Martin & Cisco return, Sergio will have a better chance to compete with Beno for backup minutes. For now we need Beno's shooting (can't believe I just wrote that).

It sounds like we need two Evans's. To be real, I think Rondo would have been as close to perfect as it gets. If the Celtics would like Beno, K-9, Noc, whoever, I think we should find a way to oblige.

I really like that idea... Sessions would have been another fit with Evans in the back court. But I have a feeling they are going to get back Martin and want to see if Martin is able to fit back into the lineup before they go forward.. It's obvious when he's out the team as a whole play better, but injecting him back in it's going to be interesting to see.

I would like to replicate the 04 Detroit Pistons team as closely as possible given the pieces we already have. I feel that this type of team is the Kings best chance at winning a championship as it doesnt require a ton of star power. The Right mix of defensive ability can get it done. I voted for the lockdown defensive enforcer.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I really like that idea... Sessions would have been another fit with Evans in the back court. But I have a feeling they are going to get back Martin and want to see if Martin is able to fit back into the lineup before they go forward.. It's obvious when he's out the team as a whole play better, but injecting him back in it's going to be interesting to see.
Are you kidding? You're going to post that comment as though it was gospel when the team only had THREE games together before Martin got injured? This isn't an old established team that had been mired in losses and suddenly, with the departure of Martin, got better. This is an incredibly young team with a new coach that, after a win in which Martin was a KEY part, has worked hard to pull together in his absence. I firmly believe people are going to be surprised. Martin can and will adapt to Evans and vice versa. They've worked with each other in practice and I think there's a relationship building there that could really pay dividends to the Kings.

Maybe I should have added an "ED" at the end of play :D

But they have playED together better since Martin was out. I think Evans needs another ball handler in the back court with him though at this point in his career. I hate the idea of getting rid of Martin because every successful team needs a guy that can give you points like Martin does imo.

Sometimes subbing talent for less talent does not mean the team gets worse is the point I was trying to make. Chemistry means a whole heck of a lot more than ability in most cases. You wouldn't think teaming Vlade with Brad and Peja would produce results but it did even though they were slow, and unathletic.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Versatility: Ball-handling, defense and shooting. Size being a great bonus. Talent trumps all. Tyreke is so talented that he can make it work with anyone, but I think you're best served with someone who's versatile and can play different roles on different nights.

Kevin - is a great shooter, good sized and very talented, but he's very one dimensional (pure scorer) and won't be able help initiate the offense or mix and match on D. (I'm open minded though...perhaps Tyreke is so good he won't need much help, and having an efficient scorer will be perfect...but that's not my best guess).

Cisco - Could be pretty good. Can they mix on D? I think the talent trump question is whether Cisco is the guy you want starting on a contender or just a solid 6th/7th man who fits nicely with Tyreke.

Beno - I think its shown to be a nice fit...but again, the talent issue. I think a contender can find a better version of Beno to pair with Tyreke.

I'm a draft maven....so my ideal (somewhat plausible) scenario is this. We land the top pick and Derrick Favors turns out to be the better prospect over John Wall. He's measured at 6'10" 240 lbs, block shots, rebounds, and lives up to the Alonzo Mourning comparison I saw somewhere.

THEN, via some trade to get a mid-first pick we take Avery Bradley. ESPN considers Avery Bradley the #1 overall RECRUIT ahead of Wall, Favors, Henry etc...but since he's 6'3" without clear PG skills he's not a highly rated draft prospect. But he's great mid-range shooter, who should expand his range, an outstanding athlete...and he's got the best defensive reviews I've ever seen in recruits or draft prospects (and I've followed pretty closely ever since they've started publsihing this stuff online).

So that's my ideal scenario, you get a player who's supremely talented, but doesn't fit perfectly in the NBA, and you pair him with a phenom lyke Tyreke who hides all those issues and gives you two superstars.

Maybe we could just trade Kevin for Monta Ellis.
I've watched Wall play once this year. I watched Bradley play twice. He's not better than Wall. At least not now. Wall is quicker, and more skilled overall. Bradley played well in both games I saw and he's definitely athletic. Although he's only 6'3" he appears to have very long arms. His shot didn't look bad to me. He's got form on the shot. He's has good hops and dunks the ball easily. The only thing going against him is his size. Typically people are going to say, what is his position. Personaly after watching him play two games, I think he's a shooting guard. But there's a lot of time left. He's definitely talented.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Please don't get me started on Sessions again. I really wanted him. As far Martin, I don't know if we can make a blanket statement about playing better because of Martin being out of the lineup. I think getting Mason out of the linup had more to do with it. We were basicly playing 4 on 5 on offense when he was in the game.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Are you kidding? You're going to post that comment as though it was gospel when the team only had THREE games together before Martin got injured? This isn't an old established team that had been mired in losses and suddenly, with the departure of Martin, got better. This is an incredibly young team with a new coach that, after a win in which Martin was a KEY part, has worked hard to pull together in his absence. I firmly believe people are going to be surprised. Martin can and will adapt to Evans and vice versa. They've worked with each other in practice and I think there's a relationship building there that could really pay dividends to the Kings.

Whereas Martin is Gary's favorite player, I think he made that statement reluctantly. I don't think anything would make him happier than Martin and Evans meshing well together and the team playing well.

Whereas Martin is Gary's favorite player, I think he made that statement reluctantly. I don't think anything would make him happier than Martin and Evans meshing well together and the team playing well.
That was my bad.. Meant to say played.. He has, but it's really too early to gauge if it's a problem or not VF is right. And yah.. Martin is my favorite player hehe. :)

I like the idea of, down the road, targeting George Hill in Free Agency(likely 3 or so years away) to play with Tyreke Evans.
Hmm, I actually like this idea also, I wonder if we could somehow get a trade with SA. They don't really need Hill as they have Parker who is still moderately young. I don't know who they would really want (Nocioni, KT, Hawes?)

Rudy Fernandez

He's 6'6", can handle the ball, by all accounts is turning into a lockdown defender, and can shoot the hell out of the ball. He's like Doug Christie with a better jump shot. Boom!

Of course, getting him is another thing, since he's cheap, its not exactly a secret he's pretty good and I think he's a fan favorite up there. But it seems possible since he replicates a lot of what Roy does.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
He's 6'6", can handle the ball, by all accounts is turning into a lockdown defender, and can shoot the hell out of the ball. He's like Doug Christie with a better jump shot. Boom!

Of course, getting him is another thing, since he's cheap, its not exactly a secret he's pretty good and I think he's a fan favorite up there. But it seems possible since he replicates a lot of what Roy does.
I've got an eye on Portland too because they've got so many good young players that a few of them will slip through the cracks. They won't be able to sign all of them to big extensions. Fernandez sounds like a good fit. They also have Nicolas Batum who can play SG. And then Travis Outlaw has turned into a very good player as well and his contract expires this year and of course Greg Oden. It's almost a lock one of those guys will be gone soon.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I've got an eye on Portland too because they've got so many good young players that a few of them will slip through the cracks. They won't be able to sign all of them to big extensions. Fernandez sounds like a good fit. They also have Nicolas Batum who can play SG. And then Travis Outlaw has turned into a very good player as well and his contract expires this year and of course Greg Oden. It's almost a lock one of those guys will be gone soon.

Bring me over Fernadez and Oden and I'm happy (althoguh...Rudy is turning into a lockdown defender? I emna if true, he would be perfect. But ...really?).

Unfortunately our only piece that has value beyond what they already have is Kevin, and he plays the same postition as their best player. They're already having to mess around wiht 3 guard lineups to accomodate Miller, can't see what they would do with Kevin, star or no.

Should also note I don't see them gfivig up on Oden this early -- especially since the big guy has looked much better this year. In fact biggest thing holding him back is just that his backup is the best backup center in the game and so they semi-platoon. I mean Oden is going 10.4pts 8.1rebs 2.3 blks on .623 shooting in only 24.2min. That's pretty spectacular production. The Blazers ain't stupid.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Bring me over Fernadez and Oden and I'm happy (althoguh...Rudy is turning into a lockdown defender? I emna if true, he would be perfect. But ...really?).

Unfortunately our only piece that has value beyond what they already have is Kevin, and he plays the same postition as their best player. They're already having to mess around wiht 3 guard lineups to accomodate Miller, can't see what they would do with Kevin, star or no.

Should also note I don't see them gfivig up on Oden this early -- especially since the big guy has looked much better this year. In fact biggest thing holding him back is just that his backup is the best backup center in the game and so they semi-platoon. I mean Oden is going 10.4pts 8.1rebs 2.3 blks on .623 shooting in only 24.2min. That's pretty spectacular production. The Blazers ain't stupid.
Portland will be facing some tough choices next offseason. Przybilla has an ETO. I can't say for sure the he'll exercise it, but considering what he's making now and the value of centers that can do what he does, I would be shocked if he didn't exercise it. Add to that the fact that Blake and Outlaw are both unrestricted freeagents, and Portlands total salaries without even addressing those problems will be at 57 mil.

Its my guess that they'll lose at least one of those players. Maybe two. Considering where we might be at the time, I'd like to take a run at Przybilla. Hey, at the very worse, maybe we could make them overpay for him..:)

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Portland will be facing some tough choices next offseason. Przybilla has an ETO. I can't say for sure the he'll exercise it, but considering what he's making now and the value of centers that can do what he does, I would be shocked if he didn't exercise it. Add to that the fact that Blake and Outlaw are both unrestricted freeagents, and Portlands total salaries without even addressing those problems will be at 57 mil.

Its my guess that they'll lose at least one of those players. Maybe two. Considering where we might be at the time, I'd like to take a run at Przybilla. Hey, at the very worse, maybe we could make them overpay for him..:)
People just routinely forget who owns that team. They don't have to lose anybody who they don't want to, and certainly not anybody who they think can help them win a title. If you can make them an offer to help massage the situation, where saving money could serve as an extra inducement...sure. But just sitting around waiting for them to hemmorage players with an owner who might be worth more than all the rest of the owners in the Western Conference combined could be a long cold wait.

How about Devin Harris?

I know he isn't a part of the 0-12 start or whatever since he's injured but you think the Nets would be so stupid as to try to trade him?

Kings trade
2010 1st rounder
Kenny Thomas

Nets trade
Devin Harris

Seems about right :) Don't think the nets do this though because they get nothing out of it.

Bricklayer

Nets aren't trading Harris, and it really doesn't fit anyway. Just another good mostly ball dominant PG.

I think the key here is someone who can handle the ball...but does not need to. Someone big enough to punish little PGs, and actually therefore someone who maybe has shown a little bit of post game or at elast has a physical presence to them. Someone able to play defense, someone able to spot up from 3pt land.

Always thought Dallas was out of their mind for trading him.. He's pretty dang good though but would need the ball a lot.. I think the best guy for Evans is probably another Derek Fisher type player. A good roleplayer who knows he's not the focal point. JT seems to be growing at the PF position so if Evans and JT put their heads together I am sure they could come up with some killer chemistry.. Greene as well. They all seem to have hit it off as friends.

Has anyone thought about Jrue Holiday? He's nt getting much run in Philly so maybe they would want to trade him along with Dalembert is we gave them Hawes, and KT. He's got a load of talent and he's not even playing much yet.

Always thought Dallas was out of their mind for trading him.. He's pretty dang good though but would need the ball a lot.. I think the best guy for Evans is probably another Derek Fisher type player. A good roleplayer who knows he's not the focal point. JT seems to be growing at the PF position so if Evans and JT put their heads together I am sure they could come up with some killer chemistry.. Greene as well. They all seem to have hit it off as friends.

Has anyone thought about Jrue Holiday? He's nt getting much run in Philly so maybe they would want to trade him along with Dalembert is we gave them Hawes, and KT. He's got a load of talent and he's not even playing much yet.
Ideally, you want to pair Evans with another guard thats 6'6 or taller but complements his game by being able to do a bit of everything and not needing the ball to be effective.

What about OJ Mayo? He works well w/out the ball and with it. He can initiate the offense which seems to be something he wants to do in Memphis but they don't let him. He can shoot and defend well. I don't think KMart realistically is enough - but Memphis is a pretty poor franchise you never know...

Or Darren Collison?
Do something like...
KMart + K9 for Okafor, Collison, Unprotected 1st, M. Peterson or something
(this offer might be a bit strong in giving up KMart but I think it would be hard for them to turn down..)

Or a simple Hawes + K9 for Okafor and Collison...

or like was already said - Jrue Holiday

Something like Dalambert + Jrue for K9 + SRod or some combination the sixers might be interested in

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Someone I would love to pry from the clippers, or sign when his rookie contract is up, is Eric Gordon. He would fit perfectly with Tyreke. He can handle the ball, is a good passer, athletic, 46% from 3 this season, and a physical defender.

One concern I have is he's only 6'3". But he can absolutely light it up from the outside, which we need in a guard playing next to Tyreke. He's also the same age as Tyreke, and will just get better and better. Gordon has been compared to Richmond on a number of occassions. Just a name to consider if we want to go younger and get a guy with a huge upside.

clippers are downright stupid, but I'm pretty sure whatever fans are left would burn that place to the ground if the Clippers don't resign Gordon. I seriously doubt he is leaving anytime soon.

Well, maybe not lockdown lockdown, but good. This is what David Thorpe had to say in his sophomore rankings column:

"Fernandez is still shooting and making a lot of 3s this season (19-for-47 -- 40 percent), but it's his defense that has people taking notice. Fernandez may well be the Blazers' best perimeter team defender. In other words, their defense may be at its best when he's in the game compared to any other guard or wing."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=Sophs-091120

I feel like I've read something to that effect elsewhere too, either from John Hollinger or on Truehoop.

The draft seems to have 2 guys that would compliment Evans quite well in Evan Turner and Willie Warren. Both are bigger combo guards with good ball handling, passing, and jump shot.. Warren especially has a shot that will extend to the nba 3 and the tools to be the defender we need next to reke