So what position do you guys think Evans will play in the future?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think Evans definitely has the ability to play the point. He'll never be a pure, pass first point guard like, say, Steve Nash or Jason Kidd, but that doesn't mean he can't be a very good point guard.

And while his 1.08/1 A/T ratio is troubling, a number of very successful NBA point guards have posted similar numbers in their freshman seasons.

Chauncey Billups - Freshman Year: 1.2/1 NBA Career: 2.8/1
Devin Harris - Freshman Year: 1.05/1 NBA Career: 2.15/1
Allen Iverson - Freshman Year: 1/1 NBA Career: 2/1
Gilbert Arenas - Freshman Year: .81/1 NBA Career: 1.66/1
Steve Nash - Freshman Year: 1.08/1 NBA Career: 2.96/1

We might have a long wait on our hands -- Iverson is not a PG, Arenas barely fits the bill, and the others all took years to develop PG skills, and in fact none of them blossomed until they had been booted from their original teams.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
How many tweeners do we have? Evans. Maybe Noc and Brockman (who's a 10-12th man). Beno, Kmart, Cisco, Greene, Casspi, Hawes, Thompson, and Rodriguez are all normal sized or big for their positions.
Yeah, but Evans isn't even a tweener. He's legitimately big enough to play SG in the NBA. Factor in the wingspan, and he'd actually be on the big side for that position. If he can play PG at all, it's just an added bonus. The only problem is our roster -- we already have a SG. That's why he'll play the point. Not because he's too small to play SG.

gunks

Hall of Famer
We should try to package Kevin and Beno for a good vet PG.

I see Evans as a future SG. I dont get why people are calling him a tweener. He's got SG size. Just PG skills to go along with it. Evans aint Douby. I think he'll start the season at PG, struggle with the role, and people here will call for GPs head. Then Martin will go down with his usual injury, Evans will move to the 2 and start beasting.

Yeah, but Evans isn't even a tweener. He's legitimately big enough to play SG in the NBA. Factor in the wingspan, and he'd actually be on the big side for that position. If he can play PG at all, it's just an added bonus. The only problem is our roster -- we already have a SG. That's why he'll play the point. Not because he's too small to play SG.
Good point.

Bricklayer

We should try to package Kevin and Beno for a good vet PG.

Sure but...a) can't be too veteran, we are a very young team; and b) who did you have in mind? In particular who would fit the getting tougher motif? Rondo? I do like the defense and athleticism that a Rondo/Evans backcourt might provide, but am not sure if that's value for Kevin without more.

Sure but...a) can't be too veteran, we are a very young team; and b) who did you have in mind? In particular who would fit the getting tougher motif? Rondo? I do like the defense and athleticism that a Rondo/Evans backcourt might provide, but am not sure if that's value for Kevin without more.

If that's the case we are going to need to fill the bench with shooters, because we would have next to no 3pt shooting if Evans, Rondo, Hawes, Thompson, and Noc or Garcia are all on the floor.

There are a few guys that could come cheap that can definitely hit set shots from outside. Guys like Novac.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We might have a long wait on our hands -- Iverson is not a PG, Arenas barely fits the bill, and the others all took years to develop PG skills, and in fact none of them blossomed until they had been booted from their original teams.
Point guards typically take a while to develop. No news there. It's not like we don't have the time...

Well, I'm not even sold on it, but if we forget about the veteran part, we could trade Kevin and Beno to Minnesota for Rubio, their expiring contracts and a top 3 or top 5 protected 1st round pick. Noc might make even more sense for them given their hole at SF. Then they have a lineup of Flynn, Martin, Noc, Love and Jefferson. We have Rubio, Evans, Cisco, JT and Hawes. Plus more cap space and an extra draft pick.

I'd have to think about this one more, but could work for both sides.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I think Evans will be abe to play the point next year. How effective he will be remains to be seen. He will be a good nba player. But the question we'll be asking within a yr or two is "where is Evans most effective?"

IMO, he will end up being best at sg, eventhough having run the point will help him down the road. Then the decision will arrive of kevin vs evans. I do think evans will be successful next yr, and will be more effective than anyone we had running the point last yr. But if he becomes a star, and he has star potential, I think he will have to move over to sg fulltime at some point, because I see him developing into a great sg that can create for others. Not a great pg who lookss to create for others but can score when needed.

Well, I'm not even sold on it, but if we forget about the veteran part, we could trade Kevin and Beno to Minnesota for Rubio, their expiring contracts and a top 3 or top 5 protected 1st round pick. Noc might make even more sense for them given their hole at SF. Then they have a lineup of Flynn, Martin, Noc, Love and Jefferson. We have Rubio, Evans, Cisco, JT and Hawes. Plus more cap space and an extra draft pick.

I'd have to think about this one more, but could work for both sides.
I think something like that could work. Rubio would play next yr if he was here instead of minn. Also, minn barely has any talent on their wings. We have an abundance of wings on this team. If we could trade martin with cisco or noc for rubio+ a 1st rounder + fillers I would have to seriously consider doing it.

If that's the case we are going to need to fill the bench with shooters, because we would have next to no 3pt shooting if Evans, Rondo, Hawes, Thompson, and Noc or Garcia are all on the floor.

There are a few guys that could come cheap that can definitely hit set shots from outside. Guys like Novac.
Garcia is a actually a pretty decent 3 point threat, and Noc can actually hit a couple as well. And I wouldn't say Tyreke is a bad 3pt shooter either..

I would actually love to plug in Rondo with Hawes, JT and Tyreke.

Garcia is a actually a pretty decent 3 point threat, and Noc can actually hit a couple as well. And I wouldn't say Tyreke is a bad 3pt shooter either..

I would actually love to plug in Rondo with Hawes, JT and Tyreke.
My point was only having 1 3pt shooter on the floor at a time is going to really screw us over..

And yes Evans is a horrible 3pt shooter. He didn't even have college 3pt range. He can develop it, but right now he is horrible.

Evans will be a good shooter in time. I'm not worried about that. I don't like the idea of Rondo being on the team. He has ego problems and is way overrated, I believe, because he plays with 3 of the best players in the league. Yes he almost averaged a triple double during the playoffs, very impressive. But I'm not going to base his value on 14 games where he played a ridiculous amount of minutes and pretty much NEEDED to step it up for the Celts to have a chance rather than the 80 games he played before. That being said his stats were still impressive during the regular season but when you have team mates like him its hard NOT to average 8+ assists a game. The one thing I give him credit for as being better than almost all other point guards is his rebounding. He's an excellent rebounder. I just don't believe he would be any better of a facilitator than Evans or even Beno on a team like ours.

Evans will be a good shooter in time. I'm not worried about that. I don't like the idea of Rondo being on the team. He has ego problems and is way overrated, I believe, because he plays with 3 of the best players in the league. Yes he almost averaged a triple double during the playoffs, very impressive. But I'm not going to base his value on 14 games where he played a ridiculous amount of minutes and pretty much NEEDED to step it up for the Celts to have a chance rather than the 80 games he played before. That being said his stats were still impressive during the regular season but when you have team mates like him its hard NOT to average 8+ assists a game. The one thing I give him credit for as being better than almost all other point guards is his rebounding. He's an excellent rebounder. I just don't believe he would be any better of a facilitator than Evans or even Beno on a team like ours.
You have got to be kidding me. That "he played w/3 all stars" excuse worked the first year, but last year he played without Garnett and half a Ray Allen (who would pad assts due to catch and shoot). He had Big Baby (grounded big w/range to 15), Pierce (not in all star form), Perkins(garbage points and a few post moves), Ray Allen who had 2 good games in the whole playoff series, and Eddie House/post concussion Scalabrine/ball shy Marbury (except for one game) if you want to include them.

That team was almost pathetic to watch. They labored their way through wins, and I have no idea how you can seek to discount a point guard who almost AVERAGED a triple double in the playoffs. Hate him for the ego, what have you, but you have no basis to stand on by saying he had too much help in the last playoffs.

His assist numbers are real. If you want to nitpick, you can go after his rebounds, some of which were taken because he ran in for boards after defense instead of waiting for the pass, in which case he took a rebound from a big.

Last edited:
I think he´s a less athletic Dwayne Wade type of player. Just compare their both freshman years.

Wade:
Height: 6´4
wingspan: 6´11
Freshman year: 17.8 points, 6.6 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 2.5 steals

Evans:
Height 6´5
Freshman year: 17.1 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 2. 1 steals

Memphis struggled early on then when Evans switched to point they started playing some nice basketball.

You have to consider giving him a shot at both positions, The kings should also take a look at Kevin Martin while he has value maybe even for the rights of Rubio (now would't that stop alot of your bickering)

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Well shooting three's is the mainstay of Garcia's game. Noc can shoot the three, although he's a bit inconsistant. God fogive me for saying this, but Hawes is a pretty good three pt shooter.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the three pt shot. If you go back and take a look at when scoring started to go down in the NBA, it coincides almost exactly with the genesis of the three pt shot. The problem being of course that too many bad shooters fancied themselves as three pt shooters. But I don't want to argue the merits of that.

Lets just say that a little more scoring from the inside wouldn't bother me in the least . I would prefer the 3 pt shot to be the escape claus of a play rather than the main option. Last year the Kings were too perimiter oriented. There was little balance to their offense The word predictable springs to mind. So a little less 3 pt shooting would a welcome change.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My point was only having 1 3pt shooter on the floor at a time is going to really screw us over..

And yes Evans is a horrible 3pt shooter. He didn't even have college 3pt range. He can develop it, but right now he is horrible.
Hey Gary! What happened to your cat?:D

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You have got to be kidding me. That "he played w/3 all stars" excuse worked the first year, but last year he played without Garnett and half a Ray Allen (who would pad assts due to catch and shoot). He had Big Baby (grounded big w/range to 15), Pierce (not in all star form), Perkins(garbage points and a few post moves), Ray Allen who had 2 good games in the whole playoff series, and Eddie House/post concussion Scalabrine/ball shy Marbury (except for one game) if you want to include them.

That team was almost pathetic to watch. They labored their way through wins, and I have no idea how you can seek to discount a point guard who almost AVERAGED a triple double in the playoffs. Hate him for the ego, what have you, but you have no basis to stand on by saying he had too much help in the last playoffs.

His assist numbers are real. If you want to nitpick, you can go after his rebounds, some of which were taken because he ran in for boards after defense instead of waiting for the pass, in which case he took a rebound from a big.
My problem with Rondo is that his coach called him " uncoachable ". And the fact that his team, despite his talent, is trying to trade him. There's not doubt he talented. But as I've said before, so is Marbury. There's too many red flags being waved right now for me.

Bricklayer

My problem with Rondo is that his coach called him " uncoachable ". And the fact that his team, despite his talent, is trying to trade him. There's not doubt he talented. But as I've said before, so is Marbury. There's too many red flags being waved right now for me.

Red flags don't typically wear rings or average triple doubles in the playoffs by 23. There has never been any sign that Rondo, kind of the ultimate roleplayer PG, has been just playing for his numbers.

It might just be that Rondo is tired of being the doughnut boy for the 3 old guys and isn't interested at being less than an equal. There is a long history of grumpy dudes who actually were core championship contending personnel just because they were so tough minded. hard nosed guys can be pains in the asses, but pains in the asses you want in that foxhole with you when things get heated.

A

AriesMar27

now that we know that we wont be getting rubio i would love to trade for rondo. evans can come off the bench behind kevin his first year and start next year at pg if we dont resign rondo or sergio. if the celtics were down for trading beno and a future 1st for rondo i would be estatic....

but back to the main topic, i think evans will be a sg at the end of the day. the comparisson that i thought people didnt look at would be brandon roy... not the most athletic and makes other players better. they are similar in height and size and their games are way too similar. though they are the same height, wade is a freak athlete. from what i can tell evans isnt a super highflyer like wade. if evans becomes as good a roy we would be in good shape especially if we can keep him coming off the bench for a season or 2. if we could only get rid of beno, he's the one messing this up.

I think he´s a less athletic Dwayne Wade type of player. Just compare their both freshman years.

Wade:
Height: 6´4
Freshman year: 17.8 points, 6.6 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 2.5 steals

Evans:
Height 6´5
Freshman year: 17.1 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 2. 1 steals
How about adding all the stats like:

Evans: Turnovers 3.6/game, FG% 45.5%, 3pt% 27.4%, FT 71.1%, bpg .8

Wade: Turnovers 3.0/game, FG% 48.7%, 3pt% 34.6%, FT 69%, bpg 1.1