Welcome Paul Westphal

On a related note: I'm out. I'm tired of this franchise screwing up, and I will wait until things either: A) turn around and prove they made the right choice, or B) until new management enters the picture and prooves A. Later guys.

On a related note: I'm out. I'm tired of this franchise screwing up, and I will wait until things either: A) turn around and prove they made the right choice, or B) until new management enters the picture and prooves A. Later guys.
Who was your choice? There weren't many illusions about what GP was looking for- experience, success, track record, long NBA history, teaching credentials. Check, check, check, check, check. The delay could have been caused just as much by Petrie being in Europe and the Maloofs being on the go as well and the need to do background checks as it could have been tied to any pining for Rambis.

To return to the thread- WELCOME PAUL. Best of luck, and may all of these errant conversations be for moot once the Kings return to prominence.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, the welcome thread for the new coach is the right place for this...

:rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------

Welcome, Coach Westphal!! Just give us energy and excitement and something to cheer about.

GO KINGS!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
terry porter as our defensive coach!? omg thats good!
I can onyl assume you wer ebeing faceitious there. :p

By far the biggest concern about this hire has to be the deplorable lack oof defensive focus once again, but we'll see. At least Porter and presumably Elie understand the value of inside play to counter some of Westphal's smallball instincts.

Welcome Paul Westphal.

Can't complain for this hire considering the $ situation and the choices.

Besides, Westphal is a lakers beater.

Back in 1993 with his team down 0-2 to the lakers in a best of 5 series, Westphal's quote

“The next game is over there Tuesday. We’re going to win that,” Westphal said. “Then the next one is Thursday. We’ll win there, too. Then we’re going to come home next Sunday and win that one, and everyone will say what a great series it was.”

He kept his word in winning 3 straight. I know that Suns team was a #1 seed that went to the finals. But its good to have a coach that beat the lakers before. :D

Welcome Coach!:) I wish you the best of luck as the Sacramento Kings new head coach!

Porter and Ellie sound like great assistants. Plus there is Coachie and Reef. And I would like to see Westphal bring in an older grey head who has been around the block in the NBA a thousand times:)

KB

Welcome Coach!:) I wish you the best of luck as the Sacramento Kings new head coach!

Porter and Ellie sound like great assistants. Plus there is Coachie and Reef. And I would like to see Westphal bring in an older grey head who has been around the block in the NBA a thousand times:)

KB
I second that, welcome Coach Westphal! As far as an "older grey head," Paul now has plenty of the white hair at age 59 (see link w/pic) and has been around the NBA quite a bit (see link w/details) as a head coach and most recently as an assistant coach with the Mavs.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Paul_Westphal

“The next game is over there Tuesday. We’re going to win that,” Westphal said. “Then the next one is Thursday. We’ll win there, too. Then we’re going to come home next Sunday and win that one, and everyone will say what a great series it was.”
See, this would've been a concern with purple 'n gold lifetimer Rambis. Good to know Laker h8 will be alive and well with Westphal. :D

Welcome Paul Westphal.

Can't complain for this hire considering the $ situation and the choices.

Besides, Westphal is a lakers beater.

Back in 1993 with his team down 0-2 to the lakers in a best of 5 series, Westphal's quote

He kept his word in winning 3 straight. I know that Suns team was a #1 seed that went to the finals. But its good to have a coach that beat the lakers before. :D

I like this guy already!

Welcome to Coach Westphal. We really do wish you all the best here in Sacramento. Why? Because if all goes well for you, then all will go well for our beloved kings and us as fans.

some one just told me that he is getting porter and elie as assistant coaches.. i DID read it somewhere in sactown royalty...

it would be awesome too!

Good, I hired Terry Porter as my head coach for association mode in 2k9. Close enough.

Welcome Paul! Hopefully you'll be able to be a true leader and ring in these ragtag young players to a winning mindset.

Rumored that's who he wants. It is not a done deal yet.

well if the maloofs want him to succeed give him the assistants THAT He wants right?

i can imagine westphal at the helm porter and elie at his side and pete carill as consultant.. AND SAR of course dont forget reef :D