and with the #1 pick in the 2009 NBA draft the Kings select...

By the way, just in case we get the first pick, here's a comment from Chad Ford in a Q & A session from ESPN.com....

Thomas (Memphis, TN): How legit is Blake Griffin as a #1 pick in the NBA??

Chad Ford: I just spent the day with him in San Francisco on Monday. All I can say is wow. The physical tools are amazing and the workout he goes through everyday is the most grueling I've ever seen. Griffin looks like he's training to be a Navy SEAL. However, what was really impressive was the basketball part with former Spurs head coach Bob Hill. He's much more skilled offensively than you think. Excellent ball handler and nice stroke with some three point range. And he's a nice, grounded kid with a very cool family. I was super impressed.
I think he's more skilled offensively than people give him credit for. Youtube doesn't really show much beyond his dunks, but here's a video that at least shows some other things (ballhandling, passing, jumpshot, post footwork)

Watching him in game it's clear he's not skilled enough to have a go-to move at this point (especially to compensate his lack of size), but he's got some moves in the arsenal and with his work ethic there's no reason to believe that he won't develop the skills to compensate in the future.

I think he's more skilled offensively than people give him credit for. Youtube doesn't really show much beyond his dunks, but here's a video that at least shows some other things (ballhandling, passing, jumpshot, post footwork)

Watching him in game it's clear he's not skilled enough to have a go-to move at this point (especially to compensate his lack of size), but he's got some moves in the arsenal and with his work ethic there's no reason to believe that he won't develop the skills to compensate in the future.
Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see a video attached. This isn't a Vulcan mind thing, is it?

I am torn between Griffin and Rubio. If Griffin really has a better jumper and considerably better ballhandling capabilities than he demonstrated in college, he is a scary prospect. I still feel if we get Griffin, we should trade JT and lock Griffin in as our pf for the next decade. He will need to start and play 35+ mins a game.

But I also have the feeling when Rubio comes over for the pre-draft camp, we will be hearing great things about his potential, and how he stacks up against the other pg's. It will really be interesting to see what Rubio does against the other top 60 draft prospects in camp.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Luckily we'll end up with pick 4 and make it all moot. Haha.

It's a shame niether Griffin or Rubio are sure things. Otherwise I'd be more willing to move up a couple spots by trading a piece.

I wonder if Thompson +3rd(or 4th) pick for Griffin is way to much...It kinda depends on Blake. That could be a trade that either makes Petrie look genius if Blake is a 20/12 guy or it may be one that makes Petrie look dumb in a couple years when JT is putting up 15/11, and the 3rd pick is a future allstar.

This draft will be tricky tricky if we dont get at least pick #2.

4th pick....We probably take the Gambit or Jennings. Could be worse I suppose.

OTOH, I'm expecting us to be top 5 again next season's draft (which is projecting to be far better)...And JT is a pretty good consolation for missing out on Blake as he should be pretty solid.

By the way, just in case we get the first pick, here's a comment from Chad Ford in a Q & A session from ESPN.com....

Thomas (Memphis, TN): How legit is Blake Griffin as a #1 pick in the NBA??

Chad Ford: I just spent the day with him in San Francisco on Monday. All I can say is wow. The physical tools are amazing and the workout he goes through everyday is the most grueling I've ever seen. Griffin looks like he's training to be a Navy SEAL. However, what was really impressive was the basketball part with former Spurs head coach Bob Hill. He's much more skilled offensively than you think. Excellent ball handler and nice stroke with some three point range. And he's a nice, grounded kid with a very cool family. I was super impressed.
That's probly my favorite thing about him as a prospect, the work ethic. I think that's what sets his upside higher than just what the physical measurables indicate.

I totally agree with you on the work ethic of Griffin, maybe if we get lucky and get him his intensity will trickle down to rest of the team. This can be a boost to the whole team like KG going to Cs.

If Blake Griffin is the pick, then I think you can build around him, Spencer, and JT together. Have JT come off the bench in the 4/5 role, with Spencer at the starting 5 and Blake Griffin at the starting 4. All good teams need a solid 3 big rotation, and that one would be skilled and athletic enough to grow into a force.

If Blake Griffin is the pick, then I think you can build around him, Spencer, and JT together. Have JT come off the bench in the 4/5 role, with Spencer at the starting 5 and Blake Griffin at the starting 4. All good teams need a solid 3 big rotation, and that one would be skilled and athletic enough to grow into a force.
As good as that sounds, teams need to play defense too, and neither one of those guys can play good defense. This idea would work with Thabeet though, but I really want Griffin or Rubio, then make the necessary roster changes afterwards

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Brandon-Jennings-Biding-his-Time-in-Rome-3212

Great update on Jennings, and if you don't come away stoked with the improvements he's made then something is wrong with you ;)

I'll write more on what I think about these revelations later.
You just beat me to it. I was just about to post the same article. Definitely worth the read and very insightful. He comes across as much more mature than I would have thought. Good video interview attached as well. He certainly move up on my list as a result of the article.

I truly think if we get the 3rd pick Petrie WILL pick Brandon Jennings.

Dude is going to need to add some weight, but remember Petrie likes Aaron Brooks. Jennings can develop into a rich man's Brooks.

Givony's article has really given me a better impression of Jennings - I see him as less of a me-first kinda player now, less of a knucklehead. Maybe Europe was really the best route for him, maturity wise.

Still scared by his lack of production, poor FG% though - worth a shot at #3 or #4...but man is everything at point a guessing game...Harden, Hill, Thabeet, DeRozan, Evans...these guys all have significant weaknesses and are big gambles in their own ways.

You just beat me to it. I was just about to post the same article. Definitely worth the read and very insightful. He comes across as much more mature than I would have thought. Good video interview attached as well. He certainly move up on my list as a result of the article.
Personally, I never assumed he was immature, only that we have yet to find out. An article like this is what I was waiting for on Jennings, now is the beginning of finding out more about his character and attitude, and how it has developed from his experiences overseas. in other words, the intangibles he learned being overseas, being somewhat independent, and a professional athlete playing against and w/ pro's. He seems to have learned humility and patience, which was a big potential positive of his decision to play in Europe. It may be all him knowing the right things to say now that he's pretty much auditioning for the draft, but I think that still goes to his credit.

One thing that is very very encouraging is that he has a personal coach working on his mechanics. That's huge IMO, because if he sticks with the mechanics that I saw, his scoring ability is never going to reach its full potential. Based on the interview, they're getting the right things corrected. In general, he seems very aware of what he needs to improve on and focusing on it.

His mindset seems to be in the right place based on that article and the interview. I never would have called him a ball hog like some have, but I preferred to refer to him more as wild or overzealous. He never struck me as selfish, but who knows what will happen once he gets back into the American game. He's willing to pass, but sometimes does a lot of extraneous moves. His biggest obstacles are that he needs to learn to be more cerebral in the half-court, just get a better understanding of how to facilitate and lead in the half-court and playing at different tempos. So much of his game is based on reacting instinctually (which is a big reason why he's so good in transition), which isn't bad per se because it shows he has a great feel for the game, but sometimes he needs to understand how things work mentally to make good decisions and be a dependable leader out on the court. Defensively, he still has some ways to go, it's true he's long and quick, but he gets way too aggressive in his reach-ins and makes a lot of mistakes in general on D. His biggest concern there though is his strength, he got taken out way too much with screens both on and off the ball.

One more that I liked about the article, which I don't feel like I called enough attention to in the past, is that he is so incredibly fast with the ball and how much that can disrupt a defense in today's game re: Aaron Brooks. The lanes are going to open up more in the NBA and he's going to be able to use that ability far more than in the Euroleague and Italian league.

Right now he's got the great raw PG abilities in his athleticism, ball handling, creativity, passing, which gives him a very high upside. However, he is still very raw and is a risky pick, which is why I wouldn't move him above Rubio. He still needs to improve his finishing ability, shot selection, and scoring ability overall. It's good that he's working on his shot but whether it'll translate into an advanced mid range and pull up game who knows. Regardless this report by DX makes me a little less nervous about falling out of the top 2, I just hope Petrie is high on Jennings over guys like Hill, Thabeet, and Harden as well.

low: Sebastian Telfair
mid: Nick Van Exel
high: Tim Hardaway (similar in mix of scoring/passing but to lesser degree)

Last edited:
Off-topic draft musings (split from lotto day countdown thread)

This Lotto is more exciting then draft day because I we know who me are most likely going to get if we get #1 or #2.

OMG, can't wait.

I like Jennings, always have. He hasn't lit it up in Europe, which has been my biggest gripe, but it's certainly not easy to do. He's got alot of talent.

My main issue was with his shooting, but it seems that he's really working on it. Travelling halfway across the world to play in a pro league out of HS is not easy. He seems to have matured alot in his time overseas. It may just help toughen him up mentally for the future.

Remains my third choice behind Griffin and Rubio.

I like Jennings, always have. He hasn't lit it up in Europe, which has been my biggest gripe, but it's certainly not easy to do. He's got alot of talent.

My main issue was with his shooting, but it seems that he's really working on it. Travelling halfway across the world to play in a pro league out of HS is not easy. He seems to have matured alot in his time overseas. It may just help toughen him up mentally for the future.

Remains my third choice behind Griffin and Rubio.
He probably would've been better off going to a smaller team where he would've gotten more time, but while he didn't get to work a whole lot on his PG skills, I still think he's going to take a lot back from this experience that won't show in his stats.