Ricky Rubio confirmed he will declare for draft

Rubio Declares

http://www.lavanguardia.es/deportes/noticias/20090421/53686701684/ricky-estara-en-el-draft.html

Ok, I'll do my best with Google's translator, but it's a little rough. If anyone sees an English article, please post:

Ricky Rubio of DKV Joventut base, has confirmed today that it will be declared eligible in the next draft of the NBA, after the meetings held today the president of the club green, Jordi Villacampa and the player's representative to United States, Dan Fegan.

After the meeting, sources close to the player confirmed to EFE that Ricky Rubio has decided to "officially" presented to the process of selecting new players in the NBA.

The deadline to enroll in a formal way in the 'draft' ends next Sunday, April 26, but Rubio has the opportunity to withdraw his candidacy until ten days before the conclusion of the 'draft', scheduled for June 25. On May 19 will be known in order to elect the franchise players.

The young player of 'Penya has DKV Joventut contract until 2011 and a termination clause of six million euros, so that only a good position in the' draft 'would you assume the economic operation of its payment clause: the initial estimates suggest that Ricky Rubio will be placed in the top three positions of the 'draft' to ensure their arrival in the NBA.

Just a formality, really. He can enter his name and withdrawl three times. It at least opens the door for this season though, instead of outright saying he's not entering this season.

S

sactownfan

Just a formality, really. He can enter his name and withdrawl three times. It at least opens the door for this season though, instead of outright saying he's not entering this season.
Well his agent has been in europe meeting with Rubio and his family for the last week. He came out and said "he will be in this years draft"

I'm sure Ricky wants to go in this draft, but he's definitely going to declare for at least the experience of the pre-draft workouts, and maybe build up his pub for next year's draft. Hopefully he can work something out with Joventut this year.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
His buyout is 6 million € (euros) or at current rates, $7,780,000 USD minus the $500,000 max additional contribution by team/NBA then is $7.28M.

First pick in the draft salary for years, 1, 2 and 3 are:

$4.15M, $4.46M and $4.78M

All of which makes for a very confusing situation salary wise. Unless of course a payout over 3 years can be worked out at about $2.4M a year or $3.6M over a 2-year period.

Is he worth the #1 pick if that's what the Kings have? Would he last to #2?

Nice dilemma, eh? For the Kings, if their gamble on Ike pays off with JT and Hawes, they have the "bigs" they need for quite awhile. Then Rubio steps in and shares time with Beno until he can take over.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well if all he wants to stay in the draft, is to be guaranteed 1st, 2nd, or third, I would say no problem. This is good news. The deeper the draft, the better for us. I'm not going to get excited until after the lottery. Please, just once, let us snag the brass ring.

lets say based on standings and the kings getting a bad bounce.

1. wash
2. okc
3. clips
4. kings

do you guys think rubio will fall to us? wash has arenas, okc has russell westbrook, and clips have bdavis. of course griffin will go to one of the teams, so is there any way the other 2 teams pass on rubio since they have their star pgs? anybody know if the other teams value rubio as much as some of us do?

1. wash
2. okc
3. clips
4. kings

do you guys think rubio will fall to us? wash has arenas, okc has russell westbrook, and clips have bdavis. of course griffin will go to one of the teams, so is there any way the other 2 teams pass on rubio since they have their star pgs? anybody know if the other teams value rubio as much as some of us do?

Rubio will give Clippers the perfect excuse to trade the disappointing Baron Davis! Plus, Rubio is an international brand and he can fill seats, you think Donald Sterling will pass that up? Think of all the Clippers jerseys he'll sell in Spain.

:D

This makes me happy. Pretty darn sure that he is going to be in the top 3.

Now I kinda hope that we don't get the 1st pick because I am pretty sure Griffin will be picked at that spot.

1. wash
2. okc
3. clips
4. kings

It would be a disaster if Kings slipped to 3 or 4. There is no way Rubio will slip to even the 3rd spot, not to mention 4th spot. With picks that high almost every team will pick the best player available regardless of needs.

Rubio will give Clippers the perfect excuse to trade the disappointing Baron Davis! Plus, Rubio is an international brand and he can fill seats, you think Donald Sterling will pass that up? Think of all the Clippers jerseys he'll sell in Spain.
It would be a disaster if Kings slipped to 3 or 4. There is no way Rubio will slip to even the 3rd spot, not to mention 4th spot. With picks that high almost every team will pick the best player available regardless of needs.

those were the type of answers i knew i was gonna get...but was hoping not to hear :(

Well, I wouldn't say there is no way, though it is unlikely. If a team like Chicago or OKC gets the 2nd pick though they would very likely be willing to make a trade.

those were the type of answers i knew i was gonna get...but was hoping not to hear :(
Hah well.. who knows anything can happen xD. If we get the 3rd pick there is a still a small outside chance he could slip to us. However, if we ended up with the 4th pick I don't think he will slip 2 spots.

If we get 3rd pick, i think we will be fine. Oklahoma doesn't need Griffin or Rubio because they have green, and westbrook. they may opt to trade down to the kings or perhaps pick up thabeet. But if we land 4th pick, we may have some problems.

Hardin or Hill are most likely picks 3 or 4 IMO with Thabeet possible as well. Baring a trade or some unexpected event Griffin and Rubio are first two picked without question. Thus, the first 4 picks (where the Kings are guaranteed to be) are almost set in stone. Of course, you could always get a last minute surprise like a Curry, Evans or someone else migrating into that 4 or 5 spot.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
if John wall actually declares this draft too. being the 3 wont be actually so bad...
From the little I have seen of John Wall there would be a bandwagon I would be on -- trade whatever it took to get #1. But all indications, from his own mouth, are that he's not showing up.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Eh, any of the six teams likely to finish in the top three will take Griffin if he's on the table. Of those six teams, I only see us, the Clippers or the Timberwolves taking Rubio.

I don't see why the Clips can take Rubio unless they move Baron... I know we're talking about the most dysfunctional franchise this side of the Raiders, but how could they explain moving Davis and that ridiculous contract to the bench. Never mind that Davis' head would explode if that was to happen. Would they move him to SG... what the hell would they do? Also, I doubt anybody in this leauge can take that contract given what they saw from Davis this past season. He is a great player when healthy and motivated. How many seasons of both of those has he put together?

I don't see why the Clips can take Rubio unless they move Baron... I know we're talking about the most dysfunctional franchise this side of the Raiders, but how could they explain moving Davis and that ridiculous contract to the bench. Never mind that Davis' head would explode if that was to happen. Would they move him to SG... what the hell would they do? Also, I doubt anybody in this leauge can take that contract given what they saw from Davis this past season. He is a great player when healthy and motivated. How many seasons of both of those has he put together?
I've already mentioned Rubio's marketing power is too big for Sterling to pass up. But also looking at their roster, the Clips doesn't really have a positional need. Their starting lineup is set (and looks good on paper too).

So whoever they pick is likely going to be a backup unless they move someone. And PG is actually their weak spot. With BD under performing and often injured, I can see LAC picking Rubio. Overall, I think they're just picking BPA, and if they land the #2, most likely the BPA is Rubio.

Last edited:
wait how can john wall declare? Is he 19 already? Or does age even matter, like don't you need a year of college? I forgot.
He's a fifth-year senior at a prep school. He might be eligible if he was a post-grad 5th year, but apparently he is not post-grad. Very, very unlikely he's eligible and he is supposedly not entering the draft this year.