Kings-Nugget discussion for Monday, April 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I believe it was his left knee. Does anybody know which knee was operated on before? God, I'd hate to see if it was the same knee that had the microfracture surgery.
Micro-fracture was on the left knee.
Another process was performed 6 months later on same knee.

Fingers crossed.

JR Smith blasting 3 pointers with a 20 point lead in the fourth quarter is nearly as bad as missing a shot at the opponents basket and trying to get the rebound. He was showboating, and I'm glad that Cisco fouled his a($ :mad:.
most of his 3s were wide open (why were the kings leaving him so open when he was on fire?). is he suppose to not shoot those? just let the 24 shot clock expire? the only one that wasnt wide open was one he jacked up with 2 on the shot clock. jr didnt do anything wrong. just having one of those nights.

J

jdbraver

most of his 3s were wide open (why were the kings leaving him so open when he was on fire?). is he suppose to not shoot those? just let the 24 shot clock expire? the only one that wasnt wide open was one he jacked up with 2 on the shot clock. jr didnt do anything wrong. just having one of those nights.
When you are up by 20 with two minutes left and you shoot 3's you are being a punk. Fortunate Garcia had pride and didn't let him break the record. If all out players had garcia's heart we wouldn't suck so much. If I were on the court you would have seen a Technical. Coach Karl would be sorry he left his starts in when they shouldn't have been.

On a more important note I hope Spence is OK!

When you are up by 20 with two minutes left and you shoot 3's you are being a punk. Fortunate Garcia had pride and didn't let him break the record. If all out players had garcia's heart we wouldn't suck so much. If I were on the court you would have seen a Technical. Coach Karl would be sorry he left his starts in when they shouldn't have been.

On a more important note I hope Spence is OK!
lol comeon. like i said he was WIDE OPEN. any other player takes them in the same situation. he wasnt trying to disrespect the kings. when jr is on fire he shoots...hes done this all year, nothing against the kings. then when you consider it was our last home game and the crowd/bench wanted him to shoot, what do you expect? he was just having a nice game. you guys are over thinking this too much.

(oh and jr isnt a starter)

also to prove my point (from espn):

"J.R. Smith grabbed the ball in the final seconds and raced to halfcourt. Fans screaming his name figured he'd fire up one last 3-pointer. Instead, he dribbled out the clock."

if he shot that, i would understand your point...but all his 3s were in the flow of the game and perfectly fine. you cant expect the nuggets to not take those wide open shots with a few mintues left in the game. did you want them to take a step in and make them a long 2? or just not shoot at all? just wait out the 24 seconds and give the ball back to the other team?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
also to prove my point (from espn):

"J.R. Smith grabbed the ball in the final seconds and raced to halfcourt. Fans screaming his name figured he'd fire up one last 3-pointer. Instead, he dribbled out the clock."

if he shot that, i would understand your point...but all his 3s were in the flow of the game and perfectly fine. you cant expect the nuggets to not take those wide open shots with a few mintues left in the game. did you want them to take a step in and make them a long 2? or just not shoot at all? just wait out the 24 seconds and give the ball back to the other team?

Bull! With only a couple of min left and up 20, you kill time on the clock. Then you get the ball to someone who takes a shot to prevent the violation. You don't stand at the 3 pt line and take shot after shot. Showboating is a polite way of saying that he was being an ***.

Karl should have taken his butt out and put in 3rd stringers. He let him go for the record at the expense of the last place team. You don't pour salt in the wound unless you're a jerk.

Bull! With only a couple of min left and up 20, you kill time on the clock. Then you get the ball to someone who takes a shot to prevent the violation. You don't stand at the 3 pt line and take shot after shot. Showboating is a polite way of saying that he was being an ***.

Karl should have taken his butt out and put in 3rd stringers. He let him go for the record at the expense of the last place team. You don't pour salt in the wound unless you're a jerk.
give me a break...it was our last game in front of our crowd to win a division title. no one was being a jerk or classless or anything else. he took shots because SOMEONE HAD TO.

when was the last time you saw a player take a shot clock violation with over a minute left just to give the other team the ball, no matter the score? no one does that. ive seen it a few times when there is like 25 or 26 seconds left and they decide not to jack up that last shot but thats about it. jr was just on fire and kept it going. you guys are being way over sensitive about it.

What JR Smith did wasn't so bad.
If they really wanted to stop him, they should have defended him closer.

Just because one team gives up doesn't mean the other should.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
give me a break...it was our last game in front of our crowd to win a division title. no one was being a jerk or classless or anything else. he took shots because SOMEONE HAD TO.

when was the last time you saw a player take a shot clock violation with over a minute left just to give the other team the ball, no matter the score? no one does that. ive seen it a few times when there is like 25 or 26 seconds left and they decide not to jack up that last shot but thats about it. jr was just on fire and kept it going. you guys are being way over sensitive about it.

Read it again. I did not say to take a violation. In fact, it was just the opposite. He took shots with plenty of time left, BECAUSE HE WANTED TO.

You are stuck on the last night fan appreciation theme. It is really all about a record for yourself and the fans. While the fans may not show class, a professional player should see it differently.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
What JR Smith did wasn't so bad.
If they really wanted to stop him, they should have defended him closer.

Just because one team gives up doesn't mean the other should.

Its called class. And J.R. Smith is going on 25 years now of having none.

It is amusing how many people have no conception of sportsmanship, or conveniently develop amnesia about it whenever a favored son is involved. As an aside, it is the team that is winning that has the responsibility to show some class and call off the dogs.

Cisco did the right thing smothering him and fouling him rather than let theat crap continue, but the righter thing would have been to knock him right on his ***.

Read it again. I did not say to take a violation. In fact, it was just the opposite. He took shots with plenty of time left, BECAUSE HE WANTED TO.

You are stuck on the last night fan appreciation theme. It is really all about a record for yourself and the fans. While the fans may not show class, a professional player should see it differently.
doesnt matter. in that situation, not taking those wide open 3s looks stupid and is almost more insulting to the kings - as if he is toying with them.

It is amusing how many people have no conception of sportsmanship, or conveniently develop amnesia about it whenever a favored son is involved. As an aside, it is the team that is winning that has the responsibility to show some class and call off the dogs.

Cisco did the right thing smothering him and fouling him rather than let theat crap continue, but the righter thing would have been to knock him right on his ***.
ah, now THATS class.

you guys are making a big deal about nothing.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This whole JR situation is something only bad teams get this worked up about. There was a simple solution... guard the guy. If anyone on our team was offended, they should have played some defense. Garcia did, but too late in the game. When you have one of the worst defenses in the league, the chance something like this will happen increases drastically. How many players have career nights against the kings?

Maybe JR took a few too many 3's, but so what. If the kings didn't like it, then do something about it. He didn't jack up 18 3pointers with out some help from a defensive-less kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ah, now THATS class.

you guys are making a big deal about nothing.
No, CLASS would be NOT even trying to defend your player's actions on the opposing team's board. Want to talk about fan appreciation night? Ours was freaking ruined by a "controversial" no-call of a 24-second violation so don't talk to me about fan appreciation...

J.R. Smith was a jerk. You can spin it any way you want but at the end of the day he was boosting his score for personal glory at the expense of a totally battered bottom-dwelling team. If it makes you feel good about your team, good for you...

2 mins in the game and you know its a sure victory you DONT shoot and try to humiliate that team...

JR smith played like he was running for MVP.... what was going through his head:

"Oh ****! i want rick Kamla to talk about me in fantasy league!! i want to be the freak of the week! might as well launch some threes!"

not bashing on the nuggets but for the past few years i havent seen them advance passed the 2nd round... so karma will find its way for young JR

i remember sasha vujacic doing the samething in the playoffs at the final buzzer he shot the ball his team was up by a lot the guy was like "wtf? i wasnt going to challenge that shot... you didnt have to..."

no class...

if JR would continue disrespecting cisco and the kings i would really have loved to see him throw him down hard with a foul...

cisco may not have the brightest ideas when it comes to shooting but i admire the guys heart and spirit

I dont understand. You all of a sudden find heart when the guy is about to break the record? He's torching you the entire game and when he's about to break the record all of a sudden he is disrespectful? Kobe's 81 was disrespectful. When he had something like 60 pts at dallas and decided to sit out the entire 4th quarter was not. JR is a shooter. That's it. It's why he's in the NBA. The fact that we suck should not have an impact on how other teams play us. This is what he should have done. Numerous time we develop this great heart and passion when teams are about to nail the final coffin. It's a bunch of crap, and maybe more of this kind of stuff would actually make us develop a spine. Would it have been different, if it was, let's say, Bibby doing this vs us? Why was nobody clamping down on JR when he had 8 threes? 9? 10??? Wake up and smell the folgers. We suck on an epic scale. JR did nothing wrong.

I dont understand. You all of a sudden find heart when the guy is about to break the record? He's torching you the entire game and when he's about to break the record all of a sudden he is disrespectful? Numerous time we develop this great heart and passion when teams are about to nail the final coffin. Why was nobody clamping down on JR when he had 8 threes? 9? 10??? Wake up and smell the folgers. We suck on an epic scale. JR did nothing wrong.
Yeah I have to agree here with you. The fact that he can even get to 8, 9 or 10 3-ptrs is just a testament of how poor our defense is. We should have had respect for ourselves and got ticked off before he even got that high. :rolleyes:

HOWEVER, I also agree at the same time that if you are JR Smith, you just DON'T do it. And Coach needs to be the one to sit him aside and explain why. If he doesn't - then it falls more on him than his player, IMO.

Last edited:
Yes we should have defended better. However, there is such a thing as sportsmanship and class. When the Kings were good, Adelman wouldn't have let someone do this.

And I remembered Jerry Sloan absolutely ripping a player for making a 3-point shot at the end of a game against us, because it was not a close game and they had already won. His instructions had been to dribble out the clock. Man was he furious. I would not have wanted to be that player. I can't remember who it was.

Let's just say, Sloan and Adelman both withdraw the claws when the outcome is undeniably clear.

Now if you put in the end of your bench and they still outscore the opponent, that's different.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I dont understand. You all of a sudden find heart when the guy is about to break the record? He's torching you the entire game and when he's about to break the record all of a sudden he is disrespectful? Kobe's 81 was disrespectful. When he had something like 60 pts at dallas and decided to sit out the entire 4th quarter was not. JR is a shooter. That's it. It's why he's in the NBA. The fact that we suck should not have an impact on how other teams play us. This is what he should have done. Numerous time we develop this great heart and passion when teams are about to nail the final coffin. It's a bunch of crap, and maybe more of this kind of stuff would actually make us develop a spine. Would it have been different, if it was, let's say, Bibby doing this vs us? Why was nobody clamping down on JR when he had 8 threes? 9? 10??? Wake up and smell the folgers. We suck on an epic scale. JR did nothing wrong.
It is about class and sportsmanship. Cannot be said enough. If Grant Hill would not do it, then it should not be done.

And its got nothig to do with us sucking. If Smith attempted such a display against Boston his reproductive organs would have shriveled up and disappeared into his body from KGs glare alone. In fact if anything, when your opppoent sucks, and is beaten, is exactly when we find out whether you have any class or not, or whether you are just about yourself. As Smith is one of the worst characters in the entire NBA, the answer to that one is not surprising. If Cisco had just decided to start somethig with him, or one of our other guys had splatted him, wouldn't have bothered me a bit.

From the Post article:

But the point Jackson made seemed eerily similar to what the Knicks steamed about in 2006, when the Nuggets alley-oop dunked their way to a victory in New York. The Knicks did take out Smith after feeling shown up in their own building, resulting in the brawl that ended with several players being suspended for multiple games.
Twice is no accident.. Coach Karl needs to sit down Smith and explain things to him. As long as he doesn't, then we will have more situations like this.

Like Kenna said.. Adelman & Sloan would've already stopped this nonsense.

It is about class and sportsmanship. Cannot be said enough. If Grant Hill would not do it, then it should not be done.

And its got nothig to do with us sucking. If Smith attempted such a display against Boston his reproductive organs would have shriveled up and disappeared into his body from KGs glare alone. In fact if anything, when your opppoent sucks, and is beaten, is exactly when we find out whether you have any class or not, or whether you are just about yourself. As Smith is one of the worst characters in the entire NBA, the answer to that one is not surprising. If Cisco had just decided to start somethig with him, or one of our other guys had splatted him, wouldn't have bothered me a bit.

I never said anything about not retaliating. Someone should have Bruce Lee kicked him a la Bruce Bowen v Wally. Having said that... this is not little leauge. This is not the time for hurt feelings. If you don't have the damn common sense or pride to defend then you don't deserve sympathy. I agree he's a jerk, and I never liked him. What I don't condone is letting a team walk all over you, and then developing testicular fortitude only when the guy has a chance to set a record. Give me a damn break. Whatever misguided sense of pride we had flew out the window a long time ago. He should have kept firing. It has nothing do with class. It has to do with competitivness. The outcome of that game was never in doubt, nobody had anything to gain or lose by it. I'm sure that this record would have been the thing to send this great season teetering over the ege.

You guys need to to take a chill pill, it's not that serious. I'm sure if Garcia or Martin were in the same situation it would be a totally different story, but thats just the way I look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.