and with the #1 pick in the 2009 NBA draft the Kings select...

I like Steph Curry, alot. If he falls to our houston pick that would just be awesome.

Give me Thabeet or Griffin with the first pick then Curry with the 2nd ..

Curry has a GOOD handle, GOOD shot, and his passing is very underrated... He averaged 6+ assists on a bad davidson team, plus he was injured for a few games. He has above average pt guard speed and he has pretty good size, no reason why he cant be a good defender with some work ( he's not that bad now btw).

There is really only a few 'true' point guards in the draft worth drafting .. Curry isnt a 'true' point yet, but it will be the easiest transistion of all the other combos coming out, imo.

Patrick Mills is a petrie type, smaller school guy, good shooter, fast, a pg.

Mills and Martin fun to watch. add blake griffin in there. wow.
No arguement from me. I've been a big fan of Mills all year. Too bad St. Marys didn't make the show. At least I didn't see their name anywhere in the brackets.

No arguement from me. I've been a big fan of Mills all year. Too bad St. Marys didn't make the show. At least I didn't see their name anywhere in the brackets.
that might actually be good news for the kings, now he might drop to us at the houston pick esp if other guards play really well to boost their stock.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
that might actually be good news for the kings, now he might drop to us at the houston pick esp if other guards play really well to boost their stock.
Either Maynor or Collison will be out of the tourney Thursday night...so there's another PG on top of Mills and Curry who won't get the Tourney Bump.

In fact, of all the first-round-worthy PGs, it looks like only Lawson, Teague, Collison/Maynor and Warren (if he's really a PG) have any shot at a Tourney Bump.

For anyone who watched the Pac-10 tournament this year, it looks like DeRozan is back in the lottery discussion. He was the best player on the floor in all three of their games, nailing almost all of his jumpers and showing off all of the athleticism we've been expecting to see. Taj Gibson did well for himself too.

I also got a chance to see the Syracuse v UCONN game on ESPN Classics yesterday. Johnny Flynn made quite an impression in that game, especially in the overtime periods. He looks like more of a scorer than a pure PG, but he showed some kind of heart staying out there for all two hours worth of OT, making things happen for his team, and not missing a single free throw.
Can I get a scouting report on DeRozan? I've only seen him once this year.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Question about Mills: can he shoot? At all? And can he finish inside at the NBA level? Or will he even try? Quick and all that, but all he does in college is chuck three pointers, and not very accurately (like Donte a bit in that regard).

Question about Curry: can he run a structured offense? When you compare him to Bibby, Bibby isn't jsut a decent passing PG who can shoot, he's a decent passing PG who can shoot and who exels in set offenses. What gets so many college shooting stars in trouble (see Douby, Quincy, for classic illustration) is that they have been the stars in their college systems, and so allowed to run around willy nilly getting whatever shots they want whenever they want , instead of settling down and being disciplined about running offensive sets, which they'll have to do int he pros. Can Curry master pro sets and run an NBA offense in the haalfcourt? Or is he just a guy who thrives in a situation where he has the freedom of a Chris Paul, which he is not going to have at the next level? I have seen very little of him play, so the question is straight ratehr than loaded.

I don't think Mills is going to be an NBA finisher because he's a midget. I, admittedly, have only seen him play one half of basketball, but it was against Gonzaga, who is big, athletic, and plays good defense. And he had to completely abandon forays into the paint because everything was getting blocked. So yeah -- then the question is, can he shoot? And right now he's extremely inconsistent.

I know he played well against Team USA in the Olympics (which I haven't seen), and having watched the Gonzaga game he can clearly catch fire. But I really feel like he's going to live and die by his jump shooting, and that's not a gamble I'd want to take with someone like Collison on the board.

On Curry, he's a good enough passer and shooter that I think he'd be a very good pick-and-roll and/or triangle/Princeton type of point guard. But I don't think he'd be as good in a motion or spread style of offense because I think he lacks the quickness to penetrate and create. The bigger concern is that because of his quickness limitations you're basically constrained to a certain style of play so you'd better have the right personnel, and he's never going to be able to play any defense because he's not quick enough.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Can I get a scouting report on DeRozan? I've only seen him once this year.
He looks like a totally different player than he did at the start of the season. I didn't get a chance to watch him in high school, so coming in to the season I only knew him by reputation. In the first half of the season he looked tentative and floated around the perimeter avoiding the ball. I would say he was the least effective of the team's starters which seemed to doom USC to a mediocre season. A close loss to Oklahoma (which should have been a win if Hackett made some free throws) gave reason to be optimistic, but Dwight Lewis and Daniel Hackett were the key players in that game and DeRozan still didn't warrant much attention.

Demar started to be more assertive during the conference schedule but he saved his coming out party for the Pac-10 tournament. He was a monster out there. I didn't see the Cal game, but he finished with 17pts, 11 rebs, and 3 blocks. He started off in the UCLA game showing off his athleticism with a huge putback dunk and another huge dunk on the fastbreak. But what really surprised me was how often his jumpshot went in. He rarely made a move off the dribble, but he'd pull up for pretty 12-15 foot jumpshots near the top of the key and I think they all went in. He carried SC in the first half of the Arizona State game with his scoring when it seemed like everyone else was cold. He really helped the team with his rebounding as well coming up with several key putbacks in the UCLA game in particular. Actually, I was surprised to find out that he has nearly as many offensive rebounds as defensive rebounds on the season. He just out jumps everyone else around the basket. He also made a spot up three pointer in all three games, which had been one of his weak points all season. His form looks good so the range should come as he gets stronger.

Defensively, USC is usually very active in the passing lanes and DeRozan was contributing there as well. He picked Collison a couple of times in the UCLA game, one of which led to a break away dunk. I think he had a break away steal and dunk in the Arizona State game as well. I didn't notice any other standout defensive plays, but USC won the tournament largely on the strength of their defense and it was a full team effort. Arizona State seemed like they ran a high screen on every single play so there were a lot of defensive rotations going on. UCLA couldn't get into their offense without turning the ball over. He's not as good of an on-ball defender as Mayo was, but he was playing at the PF position much of the time so he didn't really have much opportunity to show off his on ball defense either. He should be able to hold his own defensively.

Overall I'd say he's still a very raw player in terms of basketball skills. He can't take anyone off the dribble and he doesn't drive to the basket in traffic either. What he has shown is that he can hit his midrange jumpshots consistently and get after it on the boards. If he's unguarded on the wing, watch out. He'll be a threat for alley oops or put backs. A young Gerald Wallace is a pretty good comparison I think. He's got a lot of the same tools, and seeing his improvment over the course of the season I feel pretty good right now about his attitude and work ethic. Definitely an exciting player.

i hope we don't get the 1st pick it seems to be a curse griffen looks good but is gonna to be no superstar i would rather pick 3,4 or 5 that way we can take a chance on a pg because thats what are team really needs.

He looks like a totally different player than he did at the start of the season. I didn't get a chance to watch him in high school, so coming in to the season I only knew him by reputation. In the first half of the season he looked tentative and floated around the perimeter avoiding the ball. I would say he was the least effective of the team's starters which seemed to doom USC to a mediocre season. A close loss to Oklahoma (which should have been a win if Hackett made some free throws) gave reason to be optimistic, but Dwight Lewis and Daniel Hackett were the key players in that game and DeRozan still didn't warrant much attention.

Demar started to be more assertive during the conference schedule but he saved his coming out party for the Pac-10 tournament. He was a monster out there. I didn't see the Cal game, but he finished with 17pts, 11 rebs, and 3 blocks. He started off in the UCLA game showing off his athleticism with a huge putback dunk and another huge dunk on the fastbreak. But what really surprised me was how often his jumpshot went in. He rarely made a move off the dribble, but he'd pull up for pretty 12-15 foot jumpshots near the top of the key and I think they all went in. He carried SC in the first half of the Arizona State game with his scoring when it seemed like everyone else was cold. He really helped the team with his rebounding as well coming up with several key putbacks in the UCLA game in particular. Actually, I was surprised to find out that he has nearly as many offensive rebounds as defensive rebounds on the season. He just out jumps everyone else around the basket. He also made a spot up three pointer in all three games, which had been one of his weak points all season. His form looks good so the range should come as he gets stronger.

Defensively, USC is usually very active in the passing lanes and DeRozan was contributing there as well. He picked Collison a couple of times in the UCLA game, one of which led to a break away dunk. I think he had a break away steal and dunk in the Arizona State game as well. I didn't notice any other standout defensive plays, but USC won the tournament largely on the strength of their defense and it was a full team effort. Arizona State seemed like they ran a high screen on every single play so there were a lot of defensive rotations going on. UCLA couldn't get into their offense without turning the ball over. He's not as good of an on-ball defender as Mayo was, but he was playing at the PF position much of the time so he didn't really have much opportunity to show off his on ball defense either. He should be able to hold his own defensively.

Overall I'd say he's still a very raw player in terms of basketball skills. He can't take anyone off the dribble and he doesn't drive to the basket in traffic either. What he has shown is that he can hit his midrange jumpshots consistently and get after it on the boards. If he's unguarded on the wing, watch out. He'll be a threat for alley oops or put backs. A young Gerald Wallace is a pretty good comparison I think. He's got a lot of the same tools, and seeing his improvment over the course of the season I feel pretty good right now about his attitude and work ethic. Definitely an exciting player.
Yeah he has been very fun to watch this past week and I can't wait to see him play again later this week! If he develops enough the next year or two, I can see him being a lottery pick easy.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
i hope we don't get the 1st pick it seems to be a curse griffen looks good but is gonna to be no superstar i would rather pick 3,4 or 5 that way we can take a chance on a pg because thats what are team really needs.
I'm inclined to agree. The last thing this franchise needs is to whiff on another first overall pick.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Instead, why don't you hope that we get the first pick and trade down a slot or two and get some additional picks/compendation for doing so????

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Instead, why don't you hope that we get the first pick and trade down a slot or two and get some additional picks/compendation for doing so????
The only fear I would have in a situation like that would be if we traded down two slots, for example, and the bozo in the middle took the guy we really wanted.

;)

ding! ding! ding! you beat me to the punch. when you have the first pick, you have alot of options available to you. someone out there will want griffin bad. IE OKC, they have a hole at the PF-

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The only fear I would have in a situation like that would be if we traded down two slots, for example, and the bozo in the middle took the guy we really wanted.

;)
Always a possibility, but draft-day trades after the picks are made often accomplish the same thing. :D

Mills is looking good right now in the first half against Wash State...I'm a big fan of Lawson though. I would love to somehow trade up with our Houston pick and get him, along with whoever we draft with our top pick...

(unless we get Rubio with our first pick)..

A

AriesMar27

i would want to trade the pick if rubio isnt there... not to okc but to a team with a disgruntled superstar... maybe amare or bosh.... we need to get our hands on a verteran star to be our number 1 option. both would be rentals if the dont work out.

Stephan Curry Today - 32pts on 9-19 shooting. 5-9 3pt, only 3 asst and 7 TO's.

Patty Mills Today - 27pts on 8-15 shooting. 5-9 3pt, only 2 asst and not sure on the TO total right now ...

Best part is they play against each other next round .. should be a fun game to watch.

i would want to trade the pick if rubio isnt there... not to okc but to a team with a disgruntled superstar... maybe amare or bosh.... we need to get our hands on a verteran star to be our number 1 option. both would be rentals if the dont work out.

wha-hut? wha-hye? wha-hood you want to trade a lotto pick for a "rental" when your re-building? so we wasted a year of tanking for a "rental" when that "rental" leaves, what will become of the franchise? this is a step back into mediocrity..

both mills and rubio will live and die by there jumpshot. There both small and against bigger teams with interior D they will not be able to get to the basket which is practically there offensive game currently.

Trading the pick would be stupid. Rubio or not if we get the first pick we take griffen and let our rotation work itself out, trading away the young piece that doesnt fit the best if we absolutely must.

A

AriesMar27

wha-hut? wha-hye? wha-hood you want to trade a lotto pick for a "rental" when your re-building? so we wasted a year of tanking for a "rental" when that "rental" leaves, what will become of the franchise? this is a step back into mediocrity..
if it works out they would stay but if it didnt no big deal. trading griffin would still leave us with thompson and griffin doesnt look like he'll be that great of a nba player. he might be decent but that isnt good enough.

so worst case scenario is that we trade griffin, nocioni, thomas and beno and have tons of capspace to sign new players. wow who wouldnt want that as a rebuilding team? you keep your core players martin/thompson/hawes and end up with tons of capspace to sign better players.

If Rubio declares getting that number 1 pick is a solid insurance that we're not gonna miss a franchise ressurecting talent. I don't care if we don't trade down, we already got at least 3 rookies in this draft. Coz if we can't get Rubio(if he declares) this draft will be a bust for the Kings.

I'm pretty sure that Petrie is also slowly preparing the house for Ricky. Having Andres Nocioni(Argentinians speak spanish) are one of the little things that seems to convey that the Kings are very open to adding a Spanish talent to help that kid get acquainted easily in America.

Stephan Curry Today - 32pts on 9-19 shooting. 5-9 3pt, only 3 asst and 7 TO's.

Patty Mills Today - 27pts on 8-15 shooting. 5-9 3pt, only 2 asst and not sure on the TO total right now ...

Best part is they play against each other next round .. should be a fun game to watch.

Curry is one of the few players I've seen that I would give the green light from anywhere on the court. A PG he is not however, and would never trust him in that position at the next level.

I'm pretty sure that Petrie is also slowly preparing the house for Ricky. Having Andres Nocioni(Argentinians speak spanish) are one of the little things that seems to convey that the Kings are very open to adding a Spanish talent to help that kid get acquainted easily in America.
and of course, Francisco Garcia speaks Spanish too. The only slight difference are some minor accents involved. Rubio speaking Castilian Spanish with Nocioni (who also speaks Italian) and Garcia of the Latin American Spanish accents.