Rubio articles/discussion (merged)

Q. Will you declare yourself for the upcoming draft or will you wait at least one more year?
R. That's one decision I haven't taken yet and that I'll talk with my parents. I want to focus now in my team (DKV Joventut) with whom I still have a contract, and when time comes up we'll take a decision. It's not something now that stops me from sleeping. It will depend on how I finish up the season, because if I don't perform well, maybe the interest of NBA teams in me decreases and I'll leave it for another year. You never know what's going to happen.

That, to me, sounds like he will be coming over to the draft this year so long as he'll be a top pick (which he would be).

Q. Here are some things NBA-USABasketball players told me about you during the past Olympics in Beijing. Jason Kidd: "The sky is the limit for him"; Carmelo Anthony: "Ricky is the most fascinating story of the Olympics"; Kobe Bryant: "He's played awesome, he single hand changed the course of some games" or Chris Paul: "Ricky is unbelievable". Not to mention what your partners in the Spanish national team and NBA players like Gasol, Calderón, Rudy Fernández, Marc Gasol or former like Navarro, Garbajosa and Raúl López told me. How does it feel?
R. Good, great (smiles). It's a great honour that these worldwide star calibre players say things like this of me. I feel very proud and satisfied, but I always say this to myself: "If you believe what everyone says good about you, all the compliments, you'll never reach anything". These types of compliments they say about me only help me to keep on working harder everyday.
Q. Ever since I've known you ( at 15 years old), I've been shocked by you're maturity (not common of your age) and that's been highlighted by your Spanish NT team mates. What's the best advice someone ever gave you in order to be like this?
R. My dad always repeats the same to me: "When you feel you know how to do one thing, that day you'll stop learning". Every time I'll give all I have on court... Maximum effort, every time, everywhere.

He sounds so mature and driven. I don't know how much can be taken away from something like this but I liked what I read a lot.

On the subject of Rubio, here's a recent highlight video of his from the olympics.

Just to reiterate, he really isn't as slow as people make out. His speed is average at worst, I think above average.

[yt=Rubio Olympic Highlights and Dime Dropper Rocks!]T5mpST596qU[/yt]

On the subject of Rubio, here's a recent highlight video of his from the olympics.

Just to reiterate, he really isn't as slow as people make out. His speed is average at worst, I think above average.

Wow... almost every single one of those finds/passes were amazing. The behind the back to the guy in the post and those smooth accurate long court passes were particularly impressive. Defense looked quite solid as well.

I love his game! He is like Jason Williams except a much better defender. I watched a handful of his highlight videos on youtube and I am very impressed with him.

His full court speed is good, once he gets up speed with the ball he's fine. That's not really the issue, the issue is his quickness, specifically his first step.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Griffin remains a wildcard of sorts, as almost surely the #1 pick regardless of anybody's needs. But of the rest of the prospects the three that look to me to have the most special, potentially franchise altering skillsets are Thabeet, Rubio and Jennings. The problem is that they all have significant warts, and could as easily bust as thrive.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I do think Griffin is a safer pick than Rubio. But looking at Rubio's skillset, and what he has accomplished so far, means he could have more potential and more of an upside than any other player in the draft.

I think Griffin will go #1 regardless Rubio being or not being in this years draft. Griffin is he safest pick in the draft, but Rubio could end up being the best player down the road.

Griffin remains a wildcard of sorts, as almost surely the #1 pick regardless of anybody's needs. But of the rest of the prospects the three that look to me to have the most special, potentially franchise altering skillsets are Thabeet, Rubio and Jennings. The problem is that they all have significant warts, and could as easily bust as thrive.
Yeah that's my fear.. I would LOVE to have Thabeet on this team but his potential for bust is much much higher than Griffin's like you said. It's going to come down to who is willing to gamble and who just wants to be safe.

Bricklayer

Yeah that's my fear.. I would LOVE to have Thabeet on this team but his potential for bust is much much higher than Griffin's like you said. It's going to come down to who is willing to gamble and who just wants to be safe.

On that one I stil disagree to some degree -- I can almost guarantee you Thabeet will be in the NBA in 8 years (assuming health). He will always have a use. The only question is whether he will have use as a defensive star, or jsut a reolplaying bench guy. So its sort of a thing where not only am I almost positive he will still be int he league, but I'm almost positive he will still be in the league for preceisely the reasons you would bhe drafting him (gigantic shotblocking presence).

I think Griffin has a lot larger starter sweetspot, but much of it is filled up with David Lee or Troy Murphy (different game obviously) or Luis Scola type of hits. And unlike Thabeet, who will always be enormous, there is some true bust potential with a Griffin. If he's not at least somewhat special, then there is nothing he brings that is going to automatically anchor him in the league. He needs to be good. I still think Griffin has lower bust potential than the various guards, but Thabeet is a different story -- he'll always be 7'3". Always be a shotblocker. And there are never enough of those guys. He would have to fail spectacularly not to have a role in the league.

I still have a hard time believing he picked Chris Paul's pocket in the open court. Wow.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm still leaning toward Griffin as the safest pick. He has some flaws, but to have accomplished what he has, and still have room for improvement is a good thing. However, if Rubio can do at the NBA level what he does on the international level ( a big if ), there's no doubt he could have the biggest impact on the Kings team. He could become the glue that holds the team together. Of course its all speculative. Were all just arm chair scouts. I can't speak for the rest of you, but I've been wrong many times. Its the times that I've been right that I savor.

S

sactownfan

what day is the draft lotto???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bricklayer

what day is the draft lotto???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Months off. Late May, early June. Not even sure the day is set until they know the playoff schedule, because they like to do it during a game now.

The thing Rubio does is make the game look EASY. That's what the great ones do. basketball was easy for C-Webb, and it looks easy for Ricky too. I'm totally content if he's our pick.

The thing Rubio does is make the game look EASY. That's what the great ones do. basketball was easy for C-Webb, and it looks easy for Ricky too. I'm totally content if he's our pick.

When Blake Griffin's body is beat up and he's taking painkillers to get on the floor and shoot the jumper he had to develop because of his declining athleticism, Ricky Rubio is still going to have his brain, which is his biggest asset.

The dude just sees everything and knows how, where, and why things are happening. Not the quickest guy on the floor? He had the play figured out before the quickest guy did and moved before him to take advantage of it.

You just can't pass up this type of thing. I say even if the King's manage to get the #1 pick, take Rubio (or nab Griffin and trade for Rubio+).

Griffin still scares that crap out of me as a #1 pick, because of his size. I would not be surprised that IF the Kings get the first pick Petrie didn't pick him. I personally feel he has the potential to be a bust in the NBA eventually.

Griffin still scares that crap out of me as a #1 pick, because of his size. I would not be surprised that IF the Kings get the first pick Petrie didn't pick him. I personally feel he has the potential to be a bust in the NBA eventually.
Every player could be a bust, and with the number 1 pick, you gotta go with the safest player. Blake will PROLLY be really good, Rubio next, then Thabeet...

Every player could be a bust, and with the number 1 pick, you gotta go with the safest player. Blake will PROLLY be really good, Rubio next, then Thabeet...
I understand what you're saying, but a guy being an average player in college and ending up an average player in the NBA isn't a bust. A guy projected as a player with All-Star potential and ending up an average player IS a bust.

I think that either of the two could be busts. Griffin in my mind has a higher chance of becoming a good Carlos Boozer type player, however he is held back from EVER becoming a Bosh/Dwight type of a player because of his height. Rubio on the other hand does not seem to have any overcomable dissabalities in physical capabilities that prohibit him from being a superstar. Basically what I'm saying is that Rubio is a higher risk but a greater reward while Boozer is a medium risk, medium reward. Just my opinion thoe. Personally id rather have Rubio because he just seems to be exactly what the Kings need right now. We could use both players but Rubio fills a spot we have absolutely empty, while Griffin would just add onto a spot we already have a solid starter in.

I think that either of the two could be busts. Griffin in my mind has a higher chance of becoming a good Carlos Boozer type player, however he is held back from EVER becoming a Bosh/Dwight type of a player because of his height. Rubio on the other hand does not seem to have any overcomable dissabalities in physical capabilities that prohibit him from being a superstar. Basically what I'm saying is that Rubio is a higher risk but a greater reward while Boozer is a medium risk, medium reward. Just my opinion thoe. Personally id rather have Rubio because he just seems to be exactly what the Kings need right now. We could use both players but Rubio fills a spot we have absolutely empty, while Griffin would just add onto a spot we already have a solid starter in.
I dont know about other people but if griffin can become a boozer type player then i would consider that a pretty high reward :p boozer is a potential 20/10 guy and i wouldnt mind that as our first pick

Yeah, definitely there is bust potential in every player in the draft not named Lebron James, but I don't agree that Thabeet has the 3rd least bust potential. To me he has A TON of bust potential, but he could also turn into a very good presence at D. Personally, I do not want Thabeet one bit even if we were to drop to 5 or 6.

I dont know about other people but if griffin can become a boozer type player then i would consider that a pretty high reward :p boozer is a potential 20/10 guy and i wouldnt mind that as our first pick
Yeah, im not saying being a Boozer is a bad thing. If I knew with 100% certainty that Griffin would be a Boozer then I would have no problem with selecting him. At this point we aren't sure thoe. I think Rubio has a chance to be a Steve Nash type player and I would rather have that than Carlos Boozer moving into the future considering we are without a PG in any way shape or form that can help us moving forward.

There is no doubt in my mind that Ricky Rubio would put our young core on another level and Martin in the All-Star talks. If he enters the draft, we have to get this kid.

There is no doubt in my mind that Ricky Rubio would put our young core on another level and Martin in the All-Star talks. If he enters the draft, we have to get this kid.
Yeah, I agree with this. He would fit us well because pg is what we need most and I like him to fit in with our other pieces. Man, I just hope he enters this year. He said that he hasn't put too much thought into it yet and it will partly depend on how well he does the rest of the year. He said something like if he does well the rest of the season then he will more likely enter and if he doesn't then he has less of a chance of entering. So.... GO RICKY!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Exactly. The impact his energy and excitement could bring to the team and to the fans could be huge. Ricky Rubio might or might not end up being the perfect PG but he would, much like Jason Williams, light a fire that would put the excitement back into the Kings.