Cal Expo board votes early, says YES!!!!

WooooHooooo! They just announced on KHTK that the Cal Expo board decided to vote tonight on moving forward with the proposal as presented. They voted YES!!!!! :D

Now this doesn't mean a whole lot. All the issues are there to overcome, but they should begin preparations on a search for a developer.

I guess I'm just so excited for positive news and this is positive. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Au contraire, my cautious friend. This does mean something. It means Heather Fargo is screaming and yelling and possibly pulling out her hair. It means the City Council can take a flying leap. It means Dave Jones can go to ...

oops.

Well, you get the idea!

:D

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
WooooHooooo! They just announced on KHTK that the Cal Expo board decided to vote tonight on moving forward with the proposal as presented. They voted YES!!!!! :D

Now this doesn't mean a whole lot. All the issues are there to overcome, but they should begin preparations on a search for a developer.

Awesome news - thanks for sharing.

So now get ready for all the posts about the Kings moving to Anaheim/Las Vegas/KC. You know, because this really is part of the secret plan and all......

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Search is on for Cal Expo arena developer

http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/1659178.html

The Cal Expo board gave the go-ahead today to search for a developer to join them and the NBA on a 25-year project to revamp the 350-acre Expo grounds, starting with a new arena for the Sacramento Kings and a modernized fairgrounds and Expo center.

more....

So now get ready for all the posts about the Kings moving to Anaheim/Las Vegas/KC. You know, because this really is part of the secret plan and all......
Just because they said they will move forward with the plan, doesn't mean the Maloofs will keep the team here. They could still move the team.

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I mentioned that in the other current arena thread...

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=608150&postcount=33

I think Capt. Factorial's response was incredible:

November 4, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Chick Inlityl, Sacramento Bee Sports Reporter

Tonight at 7 PM, American River Arena will finally open its doors as the Sacramento Kings play host to the San Jose Hornets in the first major event scheduled on the site of the former Cal Expo. Many Sacramentans, having been patient through over a decade of arena proposals to replace the dilapidated Arco Arena, are breathing sighs of relief tonight that their basketball team (the area's first major professional sports franchise) has a new home and is now safe from the specter of relocation, and look forward to a season where many NBA analysts believe Sacramento can make a deep playoff run for the first time since the days of Chris Webber.

Questions remain, however, about the economic viability of the Kings franchise in Sacramento. Cost overruns and bad weather have resulted in completion of only 85% of the projected first phase of the development plan, which was to be finished by the end of the year. Delays in construction of housing and hotel space will result in delays in return on capital investment, leading some to speculate that the development plan, already in full swing in a rising economy, may need to be scrapped altogether. Fan support for the Kings has been somewhat eroded by the arrival of the Sacramento Athletics in 2011, and American River Arena has so far sold out only 37 of its 42 dates for its inaugural season. While San Jose and Kansas City have already landed NBA franchises, Anaheim and Las Vegas continue to search for teams that are willing to relocate to their large sports-hungry markets. When asked about the possibility that the Kings might yet relocate despite the new arena, Joe Maloof angrily declined to comment, adding fuel to speculation that the Maloofs may still intend to move the Kings southward, and stick Sacramento with the ever-increasing bill for the Cal Expo development project...

What the?!?!?!:) This is a BIG surprise to me, I thought they werent going to vote until WAYYY later than this!! This is HUGE!! I'm thrilled by this!!:)

Au contraire, my cautious friend. This does mean something. It means Heather Fargo is screaming and yelling and possibly pulling out her hair. It means the City Council can take a flying leap. It means Dave Jones can go to ...

oops.

Well, you get the idea!

:D
Joe Serna is smiling...no...LAUGHING with joy right now from up above!:)

Just because they said they will move forward with the plan, doesn't mean the Maloofs will keep the team here. They could still move the team.
;)
No way in hell. David Stern and the league won't let them if this thing doesn't fall apart first. League approval is required (that includes a vote from other owners), and the league doesn't like to see teams move. Especially in light of a possible ray of sunshine in this economic craphole we're in.

BTW, I know you're just being funny, it's the negative nellies I would like to put to rest.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Unless I'm reading this whole thing incorrectly, if the NBA and Cal Expo formally agree to this, it would pretty much guarantee the Kings presence in Sacramento for the duration of the project.

The Kings wouldn't be going anywhere.

:)

Unless I'm reading this whole thing incorrectly, if the NBA and Cal Expo formally agree to this, it would pretty much guarantee the Kings presence in Sacramento for the duration of the project.

The Kings wouldn't be going anywhere.

:)
You read correctly VF! I'm sure we'll be hearing from Joe or Gavin sometime soon. We as Kings fans can breathe a lot easier tonight, the future all of a sudden looks bright!:)

Yep, just a few more things needed and then I think we can say the Kings are here for the long run! I wish the new arena(if going to be built) would be finished earlier because it would be awesome if it would be finished when our team gets good which should be before 2015.

Yep, just a few more things needed and then I think we can say the Kings are here for the long run! I wish the new arena(if going to be built) would be finished earlier because it would be awesome if it would be finished when our team gets good which should be before 2015.
Well, this was big hurdle #1 that was just cleared today. An even bigger hurdle awaits with the search for a venturing developer. But today definitely was the accomplishment of milestone #1.:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, this was big hurdle #1 that was just cleared today. An even bigger hurdle awaits with the search for a venturing developer. But today definitely was the accomplishment of milestone #1.:)
Although it's strictly a hunch, I strongly suspect they may have had some expression of at least passing interest by developers. As kennadog has mentioned on occasion, this could end up being an incredible opportunity for the right developer(s)...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You have got to be kidding right?? Eventhough you knew I was kidding, you thought I was still being negative?

Rock, that's not what he was saying. He was acknowledging that you were, in fact, kidding and, at the same time, trying to address the "nervous nellies" in the same post.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
You have got to be kidding right?? Eventhough you knew I was kidding, you thought I was still being negative?

Let me rephrase it a bit. Here is how I think it was meant:

I know you are kidding. This is not meant for you. But, I will take advantage of this post to stop the others, those who are negative.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Can we get back on topic?

Oh, yeah! What were we talking about? :p

This is fantastic news!!! Those of us who have refused to believe the Kings would leave, have our hopes up even further. This is a huge step. Now, I am ready to see step 2. Let's find a great developer who wants to use their vision to make this happen.

Any rumors of possible investors, meaning actual names of people that might be interested?

The key becomes finding someone who is willing to take on a risk and who won't be afraid of losing a few dollars if it doesn't work because they have money left over. In other words, is there anyone out there with deep pockets who is willing to risk a possible loss? If there are a few those types out there, the Kings are in Sactown for good.

OTOH, if everyone out there is just too paranoid about the economy and isn't willing to stick their neck out for a project like this, things will get grim.

OTOH, if everyone out there is just too paranoid about the economy and isn't willing to stick their neck out for a project like this, things will get grim.
This is the exact thing I was thinking of too, however, I didn't want to bring it up thinking it might come across as being negative.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Trueblood - I'd be willing to bet they had preliminary inquiries from developers during the past several months. But I'm also willing to bet they won't be leaking any information ahead of time. And people are going to have to accept that...

I know in today's world instant gratification on all questions is quite often possible but in this case, it's not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Just watched Jim Crandals report on fox 40.

Seems the NBA isn't happy. He had and interview with Moag and he expected this to be the last meeting. I guess there is another meeting March 10th where we will know if this goes forward.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Seems the NBA isn't happy. He had and interview with Moag and he expected this to be the last meeting. I guess there is another meeting March 10th where we will know if this goes forward.
Why wouldn't the NBA be happy? It's their proposal!

Do you have a link for clarification?

That was not how I understood the situation at all from the report I heard. March 10th was the original date set for the vote. They decided not to wait and voted yes tonight.