Bobcats want Miller? (ESPN)

In ESPN's Daily Dime, Marc Stein writes:
The Charlotte Bobcats' ongoing attempts to acquire a true big man to partner Emeka Okafor have led them to propose the return of Gerald Wallace to the Sacramento Kings, according to NBA front-office sources.

The Bobcats, sources said, want Brad Miller in return. But the Kings, I'm told, are highly unlikely to bite. They've had some interest in recent years in reacquiring Wallace -- who has blossomed into a versatile and productive swingman at both ends since he was claimed by Charlotte in the 2004 expansion draft -- but they also have a surplus of wing players at present ... too many to take on the four years and nearly $40 million left on Wallace's contract after this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-081220-21

It's an interesting option, but if we are aiming at trying to get a free agent here either in the summer of '09 or '10 then I don't think this is that great of an idea. I don't know how much having Wallace makes us better because Salmons is quite a similar player, minus the freakish athletic ability and expensive contract.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
a surplus of Wings!? are you kidding me?! contract aside Gerald Wallace would be a good addition to the team! his athletic abilities and blocking can be a big help on the defensive end... wallace is 26 years old not even at his prime...

if the team would want to play on heart and hustle who else can personify such style of playing... none other than Gerald Wallace. im guessing since there is no one like the likes of peja or hedo to play behind now.. im guessing he has showcased what he can do and lets try bringing him in here

if bobcats are so desperate to get a big... i say they throw in felton so they can start DJ already.

a trade for Felton and Wallace for Miller and Udrih would work for me...

Last edited:
Great¡¡¡¡

Wallace is still a young player and If we can get Felton, Morrison or a player like these, we will a very great trade.

the problem of include Udrih in the trade are his 5 millions...

I would love to have Wallace back on the team. Still young, very good for a wing rebounding/shotblocking. He has the concussion question mark and a lot of money left on his deal, but I think the pluses far outway the minuses.

The whole "too many wings" thing seems odd to mention since we could easily find a taker for Salmons. It would essentially be trading offense for defense. With the development of our bigs, (hopefully) a playmaking PG, and Martin back, I think a defensive guy like Wallace is more valuable to our team.

Last edited:
Why

Miller is very good player, why would ou send him to Bobcats. Send John Salmons. He shots everytime when he gets a ball. he probably wants to get out from Sacramento. Miller, he still believes in this team and lets face it, the season isnt over jet.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Also the rotation: Wallace, Martin, Cisco, Salmons, Greene....let's go Petrie¡¡¡
That is 5 players for essentially 2 positions (2 and 3), where are the minutes going to come from???

That is the "surplus of wings" problem they are talking about....

That is 5 players for essentially 2 positions (2 and 3), where are the minutes going to come from???

That is the "surplus of wings" problem they are talking about....
1-Udrih/Brown
2-Martin/Jackson/Douby
3-Salmons/Cisco/Greene
4-Wallace/Thompson/Thomas
5-Hawes/Moore/Williams

Also, I think that Charlotte will include May or someone big man who don'y play very much in Bobcats

I think May is the obvious filler too. Wallace is not a cheap option at all, but his rebounding at the SF would be nice. If the Kings do this trade, Salmons needs to be traded, and it could be a really good moment to do that, his value is high right now.

But the Kings should call and ask the Bulls again about Noah's availability. I'd also keep an eye on Anthony Randolph of the Warriors, who could be on the trading block. Maybe is a little too early to do this trade, but I'd think about it seriously in a few weeks.

I think May is the obvious filler too. Wallace is not a cheap option at all, but his rebounding at the SF would be nice. If the Kings do this trade, Salmons needs to be traded, and it could be a really good moment to do that, his value is high right now.

But the Kings should call and ask the Bulls again about Noah's availability. I'd also keep an eye on Anthony Randolph of the Warriors, who could be on the trading block. Maybe is a little too early to do this trade, but I'd think about it seriously in a few weeks.
your plan is perfect:D

Gerald Wallce is very interesting to me. But a 4 year contract is way too long!!!

I don't buy the surplus of wings either. Surplus is when you have an abundance of value. To me Salmons, Cisco, Greene I would not call value, because if it was we would not be 7-20.

EVERY PLAYER ON THIS ROSTER (outside of Thompson and Hawes) ARE EXPENDABLE (including Kevin Martin)!!!!

I like the basic Premise of the deal because Wallace could theoretically see minutes at the 4....however, contractual it sucks unless it gets adjusted. I think a Beno/Felton inclusion to the basic premise allows the best of both worlds. We basically replace Beno's deal with Wallace's deal and then Felton comes off the books but we can use him as our stopgap fix at PG for the year until we resolve the PG issue via the draft this next year.

Brad Miller
Beno Udrih

for

Gerald Wallace
Raymond Felton

Miller is very good player, why would ou send him to Bobcats. Send John Salmons. He shots everytime when he gets a ball. he probably wants to get out from Sacramento. Miller, he still believes in this team and lets face it, the season isnt over jet.
It was over before it started.

I like the basic Premise of the deal because Wallace could theoretically see minutes at the 4....however, contractual it sucks unless it gets adjusted. I think a Beno/Felton inclusion to the basic premise allows the best of both worlds. We basically replace Beno's deal with Wallace's deal and then Felton comes off the books but we can use him as our stopgap fix at PG for the year until we resolve the PG issue via the draft this next year.

Brad Miller
Beno Udrih

for

Gerald Wallace
Raymond Felton
It intrigues me, but it's just Wallace's contract and concussion problem that scares me.

I will have to watch some tape of Crash. At this point, I am confused about the direction of the team and probably would take the deal just to be entertained.

Brown
Martin
Wallace
Thompson
Hawes

That's alot of hustle and almost no organization. Our coach would have his hands full for sure.

That said, it would be painless to trade Salmons if this were to happen. For what? I'm not sure.

As nice as it would be to have Wallace for a trade like this to make sense there would have to be one more trade. Wallace is a starter, Salmons would have to go. Maybe a Salmons Udrih package for a point guard?

Then the rotation at the 3 would stay it is with Wallace starting and back up minutes remaining about the same.

This is why it was so idiotic to sign Garcia to his extension. It was fairly likely that a trade like this would come up during the season. Now we're going to pass on a no-freaking-brainer Brad Miller for Gerald Wallace trade because we have too many wings??

Let's repeat. Brad Miller, 32 year old washed up center, for Gerald Wallace, 26 year old high flying small forward.

Now it's complicated because of Garcia's extension. Dumb dumb dumb.

Cisco is the only true leader we have. I am fine with the Kings resigning him, i would still do this trade. Salmons is playing great with a great contract someone will make a trade for him.

Well We all dislike miki more Being on the kings but now i hate him even more lol he gave crash one concussion and without him bieng on the kings Crash might have had 2 More concussion left

This is why it was so idiotic to sign Garcia to his extension. It was fairly likely that a trade like this would come up during the season. Now we're going to pass on a no-freaking-brainer Brad Miller for Gerald Wallace trade because we have too many wings??

Let's repeat. Brad Miller, 32 year old washed up center, for Gerald Wallace, 26 year old high flying small forward.

I don't think it should complicate things, they should be trading Salmons anyways. I agree though that signing Garcia's contract at that time was dumb.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I don't see what Cisco has to do with this. He's basicly our backup at SF and SG. If you make the trade for Wallace, Cisco stays in the same role. To me Salmons is the odd man out, and he certainly has trade value.

It seems to me that the point of contention is the length of Wallace's contract. I'm not sure why, unless its the fear of more injuries. He's only 26 years old. So if you think he's part of the new future of the Kings, then the contract isn't an issue. As matter of fact, if he stays healthy, the contract is a plus. You have that position locked up for a while with a pretty talented player at a reasonable price.

I'm kinda on the fence about this one. On one hand, I have always liked Wallace and to this day wished that Peeler or Webber were left unprotected (no way they'd take Webbers contract). I also think that Wallace is a difference maker, especially on the defensive end.

His concussion problems worry me though. And since his contract runs for another few years, doing this deal will pretty much seal our fate when it comes to the big FA market in the coming offseasons. Then again, doing this deal will guarantee us another very nice piece to add to the puzzle, but not the superstar that we could possibly land in the FA market. Decisions, decisions...

I love Wallace but I just don't think trading Brad for him would be good for us at this point.

How about Wallace for Moore/Williams, now I would definatly do that! :D

I don't see what Cisco has to do with this. He's basicly our backup at SF and SG. If you make the trade for Wallace, Cisco stays in the same role. To me Salmons is the odd man out, and he certainly has trade value.

It seems to me that the point of contention is the length of Wallace's contract. I'm not sure why, unless its the fear of more injuries. He's only 26 years old. So if you think he's part of the new future of the Kings, then the contract isn't an issue. As matter of fact, if he stays healthy, the contract is a plus. You have that position locked up for a while with a pretty talented player at a reasonable price.
Well, first of all, Cisco is already overpaid and he hasn't played a single game on his new contract. So it changes the equation. Salmons at least only makes $5 million for far more production and he has an ETO in 2010, so there's flexibility.

So yeah, try and get good value for Salmons in a trade and then do this deal. Easy to say, not so easy to do. Whereas if Petrie hadn't signed Garcia up to his extension, this trade would be a complete no-brainer.

If there is any decency in this world please please please please let this trade go down. Geoff if you're reading this I ask you again MAKE THIS HAPPEN. If this trade goes down I would be the happiest man on this earth. Now adding the Felton for Udrih swap would just be the icing on the cake. Do not lose your mind Geoff don't do it.

IN PETRIE WE TRUST

We should do this trade ASAP. Gerald is good, Miller is 32, I don't give a damn about contracts right now. Gerald/Martin can be your starting 2/3 combo for the next 5-10 years. Gerald plays D. Gerald is a GOOD player. You move Salmons if you don't like the logjam at the 2/3. You don't PASS UP GERALD WALLACE.

Hell, lets see if we can trick them into a Salmons/Miller for Felton/Wallace trade.

We should do this trade ASAP. Gerald is good, Miller is 32, I don't give a damn about contracts right now. Gerald/Martin can be your starting 2/3 combo for the next 5-10 years. Gerald plays D. Gerald is a GOOD player. You move Salmons if you don't like the logjam at the 2/3. You don't PASS UP GERALD WALLACE.

Hell, lets see if we can trick them into a Salmons/Miller for Felton/Wallace trade.
You're forgetting who's running the Bobcats' front office.

Salmons/Miller/Douby for Felton/Wallace/Ajinca/unprotected 1st Rounder

Last edited: