Playoffs in the picture for the Kings? (merged)

Entity

Hall of Famer
http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

if the playoffs started today kings would be 8th seed. haha. if no one else gets better we're in.
As young and new (as a team) as we are we would likely have the higher rate of improvment. Were as the Lakers are already good they will improve somewhat but, you take a team like us or Portland well they will improve faster because they are just getting started. I don't know what all that means but there it is anyway.

I have people that I work with saying that the Kings would not win 30 games this year, I didn't think they were that bad to begin with from what I saw in the Pre-season and there is loads of potential on this team and I believe that the first four games of the year were not at all a representation on how the Kings will play this year.

I'm greatly excited about this team. After the terrible start to the season, I thought the team wasn't any good and this will be a long and boring season. I have to say that I was wrong. Watching Thompson, Hawes, and Bobby Brown ALONE has been very exciting. I'll take the 4-5 record we have right now with the team we have right now, any given day.

The youth on this Kings team is much better than I expected. Thompson is becoming a beast, Hawes already is a beast, and Bobby Brown keeps on improving.

Say what you want, but I expect THIS team to make the Playoffs.

I expect us to make the playoffs now as well. We've seen the potential, we have what it takes, now its just about execution. We have to win games like tonight against the suns if we wan't to see the post season this year. And if did go against the Lakers in the first round I wouldn't expect a sweep. I think we'd put up a fight and pull out at least 1 game maby 2 like our series agains the Spurs a few years ago. I would be ecstatic just to make it that far.

I expect us to make the playoffs now as well.
It would be fun and unexpected if they did make the playoff (regardless of the damage to their draft position), but I still think the chances are slim to none. Yes they are 4-5 right now, but haven't beaten anyone and have generally been run out of the building against any decent team (with the exception of the home loss to the Pistons.) I'm very excited about the youth on the team, but realistically I don't see a playoff run until next year at the earliest. Just be thankful we have a fun young team to watch and grow with. Nothing better than watching a young team grow into a perennial playoff contender.

It would be fun and unexpected if they did make the playoff (regardless of the damage to their draft position), but I still think the chances are slim to none. Yes they are 4-5 right now, but haven't beaten anyone and have generally been run out of the building against any decent team (with the exception of the home loss to the Pistons.) I'm very excited about the youth on the team, but realistically I don't see a playoff run until next year at the earliest. Just be thankful we have a fun young team to watch and grow with. Nothing better than watching a young team grow into a perennial playoff contender.

Well, you never know how things go down as the season goes on, but from what it looks like as of now, every single team that is UNDER the Kings in standings - is actually, in my opinion, worse than the Kings. The only team I possibly see floating back to the top is the Spurs, as they have been injured a crap-lot so far. Other than the Spurs, I don't see any other team under Sacramento right now that will suddenly start winning games. Yep, not even Dallas.

Everyone needs to remember that the West is MUCH worse this season compared to last season. Kings can stay around the 8th spot if they keep playing just as hard.

We actually have a complete PLAYOFF TEAM

IMO, the team can be a serious contender for the playoffs, so there is really nothing to be despair about if we lose some games earlier this season. I think it is just a matter of time before the players realize their appropriate roles in this team and when that time comes the team will be winning more games than losing.

For all those who hate the team being in the playoffs because it would mean we'll be out of the lottery, don't be despair. We have enough talents to joggle around and trade to iron out the small kinks if ever.

Just imagine if the key players ( Miller, Hawes, Thompson, Martin, Udrih, and Salmons ) can all play their best together every game with consistency as a team.

We are not lacking that much talent now. What we lack is consistency in showingcasing the best of those talents in every game.

Hmmm, coach Theus?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Are you crazy. Its not appropriate to talk playoffs here. We are all about getting a top 10 pick. Especially since we have gotten no talent with our picks outside of that the last 5 or so years. I mean look at Kevin Martin, Garcia, Hawes, Thompson I mean EWWWW

Had we lost more games in those years we could have had Andrea Bargniani, Joe Alexander, Bogut, Shaun Livingston. We could have even had Sheldon Williams....oh yeah nevermind that one.

LoL I know I picked some of the worst ones. I just hate the mantra of having to lose to get a GOOD pick. I think we have the talent now they just need to grow and develope. Now we have 2 1st rounders next season.

What do you guys say lets stop with the hoping for losses or wosses or lins or whatever it is. Its time to back the players we got.

I really like Ben Gordon, the problem is that he would be unhappy getting limited minutes behind Martin. It would also mean getting rid of Garcia, which isn't worth it to me either. We could have him play the Point Guard position, but I think we all know how that would turn out X_X.......

I don't agree with the OP. I really don't think this team is a playoff team. BUT, we're currently in 8th place. They seem to be much better than I anticipated. I love the minutes we are getting out of Hawes and Thompson. I wanna be the first one to admit it....I was wrong about Hawes. (But for the record, I preferred Hawes over Noah...I wanted Julian Wright)

I really like Ben Gordon, the problem is that he would be unhappy getting limited minutes behind Martin. It would also mean getting rid of Garcia, which isn't worth it to me either. We could have him play the Point Guard position, but I think we all know how that would turn out X_X.......
We could also trade Salmons in the off-season. Then start Gordon at the 2 and K-Mart at the 3. And Cisco will still be the main guard/forward off the bench.

We could also trade Salmons in the off-season. Then start Gordon at the 2 and K-Mart at the 3. And Cisco will still be the main guard/forward off the bench.
Martin guarding Artest? No thanks...lol. I wouldn't be so opposed if we had a more run n gun style of team, but we don't. We would just get ABUSED trying to defend more physical teams. The only way it would work is if we had someone like Dwight Howard guarding the basket.

IMO, the team can be a serious contender for the playoffs, so there is really nothing to be despair about if we lose some games earlier this season. I think it is just a matter of time before the players realize their appropriate roles in this team and when that time comes the team will be winning more games than losing.

For all those who hate the team being in the playoffs because it would mean we'll be out of the lottery, don't be despair. We have enough talents to joggle around and trade to iron out the small kinks if ever.

Just imagine if the key players ( Miller, Hawes, Thompson, Martin, Udrih, and Salmons ) can all play their best together every game with consistency as a team.

We are not lacking that much talent now. What we lack is consistency in showingcasing the best of those talents in every game.

Hmmm, coach Theus?
LOL. We are a contender for the playoffs? Do you know what that means? that means out of 15 teams, we can rank from 7-10. Congratulations. Mediocre team FTW. What's more, we are ranked 8th at 4-6, which means not that we are a playoff team, but that people are sucking more than us.

8th seed, 15th pick. Mediocre. Yay. Dont despair? Please tell me the "talent" to joggle around and trade. For what? It's nice and easy to type, but there are no feasible trades that take us from "playoff contender" to "championship contender." Perhaps that's your MO for the Kings, but I like to go for the championship. Unless you can tell me how you intend to turn Salmons, Miller, Udrih, Mikki, K9, and Thompson into Dwight Howard, I don't know what you can do for our supposedly "small kinks."

Imagine if 6 top players in our rotation played their best at every game? So in your world, ONLY the Kings would do this, while everyone else has normal off games, or is EVERYONE playing their best in the entire league? If you assume the former, then yes, perhaps we can be NBA Champs. In the real world, there is this thing called uncertainty, and that means your players will play better/worse/just at their typical abilities. This is repeated 80 or so times, and you have standings. Now, in reality, this means we fall in the range of suck-to-mediocre.

What we lack is a superstar. To be a champ, you have to have at least one, usually two, and obviously three would be the cat's meow. Pistons beat this system by putting 5 all stars in their lineup. Now it sounds great when you write all this out, but if you put this in reality, it sort of falls apart.

yes we have a complete playoff team...for 2010. our core players are way too young and our vets are too old, kmart is not at the level to make us a complete team.

one lottery pick this year, first round playoff exit 09, second round and beyond 10.

...this time, to get our vegeance and STOP 3-peat number 2 on the way to our first ring in sac town.

I think the only thing we are lacking as of now would be a guy who we can go to in the 4th quarter and tell him to take over. Can anybody say Ben Gordon???
As much as I like Ben and how I would have loved to see him in our uniform this year. I wouldn't want to pay him anywhere near what he's asking for. I'd rather save that money for someone better.

I'd rather see our young guys grow than have another guy take minutes from them. Unless we just landed Lebron James :p :D

As much as I like Ben and how I would have loved to see him in our uniform this year. I wouldn't want to pay him anywhere near what he's asking for. I'd rather save that money for someone better.

I'd rather see our young guys grow than have another guy take minutes from them. Unless we just landed Lebron James :p :D
I wouldn't want Gordon on this team at all. He's what I preferably would want Douby to be, but of course Douby's so far away from that level it's quite hopeless to heap those expectations on him. But the last thing we need is another scoring guard who just ratchets up shots from the perimeter--we have Martin and Garcia for the job, and an undersized SG who invests 90% of the time on offense (although he's darn well at doing it, as a pure shooting scoring guard) is not what we need. And as you mentioned, to top it all off, he overrates his talents--scoring tweener guards are so commonplace in the NBA, and if they want to justify that $$$, then it's time to diversify those skills.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
LOL. We are a contender for the playoffs? Do you know what that means? that means out of 15 teams, we can rank from 7-10. Congratulations. Mediocre team FTW. What's more, we are ranked 8th at 4-6, which means not that we are a playoff team, but that people are sucking more than us.

8th seed, 15th pick. Mediocre. Yay. Dont despair? Please tell me the "talent" to joggle around and trade. For what? It's nice and easy to type, but there are no feasible trades that take us from "playoff contender" to "championship contender." Perhaps that's your MO for the Kings, but I like to go for the championship. Unless you can tell me how you intend to turn Salmons, Miller, Udrih, Mikki, K9, and Thompson into Dwight Howard, I don't know what you can do for our supposedly "small kinks."

Imagine if 6 top players in our rotation played their best at every game? So in your world, ONLY the Kings would do this, while everyone else has normal off games, or is EVERYONE playing their best in the entire league? If you assume the former, then yes, perhaps we can be NBA Champs. In the real world, there is this thing called uncertainty, and that means your players will play better/worse/just at their typical abilities. This is repeated 80 or so times, and you have standings. Now, in reality, this means we fall in the range of suck-to-mediocre.

What we lack is a superstar. To be a champ, you have to have at least one, usually two, and obviously three would be the cat's meow. Pistons beat this system by putting 5 all stars in their lineup. Now it sounds great when you write all this out, but if you put this in reality, it sort of falls apart.
Now, now, lets not step on enthusiasm. He said that they were a playoff team, and they are. Just probably not this year. Stranger things have happened though. Remember the 1976 Warriors ( I think I got the year right ) won the whole thing, when no one expected them to be in the playoffs.

As far as having a superstar to win a championship. Well, maybe we already have one, and just don't know it yet. I don't think that anyone knew that Malone and Stockton would be superstars when they were drafted. And look how many championships that they. Well, thats a poor example, but I think you get my point.

There are no guarantee's. And if there were, then we would be watching wrestling.

This is the problem when people are outright pessimistic and becomes impatient. Every bit of hope means nothing. :p

First, the thread is about the rebuilding Kings having enough talents to make the playoffs which I think is an absolute positive than saying this team has no hope of even just making the playoffs.

Now, what's wrong with that? :p

You want to go for a Championship team and offered the solution of having one, or two Superstars in the team. And yet, before that - you stated there are no feasible trades that can land us those Superstars to make us a "championship contender".

On another thread, people are advocating the acceleration of development of our promising KIDS in the hopes of getting them to become elite players. And you also contradict that idea.

So, where in the hell are we going to get those pieces to build that championship team?

Don't you even hope the Kings getting over this hump? :D

Come on guys.

Give our team just a little bit of loving and not just plain bashing. :cool:

I never said we were not a playoff team. The standings are the standings. I just said that "playoff contenders," as you put it, means you are not even a shoo-in for the playoffs. It means you can slip to not making them, hence 9th, or 10th.

I want a championship team. I want a(nother) superstar. We do not have the talent to land a superstar through trade. We do not have the market to land a superstar through talent. Where else... hmmmmmm... perhaps a high draft pick to better our chances of a true superstar?

People are advocating "accelerating development," which is fine. I really do hope that you stop pandering Thompson as 3 spot though. I am all for playing the kids, but it's not like you can say, "youre a starter, now i guess youre gonna be an all star soon." Can you accelerate the growth of a dog? I am all for development of rookies. Where did i contradict that?

You call me a pessimist, I say I am a realist. But you sir, (or maam, but seeing as how you are "prince," I'll stick with the male equiv) seem to have a skewed grasp of how the NBA works.

For reference, where is this talent to "joggle," as you say, to "trade" to "iron out" "SMALL KINKS." This is where you lost me, and I went from "pardon my disagreement" to "whatever this guy's on must have cost a fortune." :p

Again, you have not addressed my specific qualms to your logic (see, "talent to trade," "small kinks," "best together at the same time") . You offered a blanket statement on my pessimism, which I am aware of. This is a place of discussion. I gave my analysis, I wish you would do the same.

Baja, heres my enthusiasm (tempered, if you will). Spencer Hawes has done a lot of growing up. Last year, he did exactly what Thompson is doing; moving too much, too fast, and doing too much at one time. Now, he is settling down. Thompson is showing why he was drafted in the lottery, and every bit the 4 year man. As NBA ready right now as any rookie. We are winning a lot more than I expected.

I have my hope. I have my dreams for the Kings. Just because I don't throw out "lets start ALL the rookies and play em 45 minutes a game" posts doesn't mean I am not a hopeful fan...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Good lord. Mass silliness again.

Rebuilding is apparently more a test of character than I thought it was. Its a simple enough process, part of the natural order of things. Its like complaining about and trying to deny the necessity of having a childhood. And yet there are a stuborn core who just cannot hold their water through the inevitable and are going to insist year after year that labor be induced after 3 months and that the baby is going be born as a fully formed adult.

We have 4 wins, 3 at home. The records of the teams we have 4 wins over? Memphis = 3-7. Minnesota = 1-7. Golden State = 4-6. Clippers = 1-8. Yeah playoffs here we come. And we'll ignore the stupidity of even wanting to make the playoffs as a bad team just to get the crap kicked out of us for 4 games as a tuneup of the Lakers, while sacrificing our ability to accumulate talent for the future in the process.

Every year during this long and dumb non-rebuld, and now finally the merciful rebuld, every year there's always this same movement. Every year I say pooh pooh. Every year I am accused of being a heathen (a compliment actually). Every year I have been right. Save yourselves the anguish and the trouble -- not happening unless you seriously expect San Antonio and Dallas to win 35 games this year. Should not happen. Should not even want it to happen.

There is potential here. Change the title of this thread to "we have the core of a future playoff team" and I will sign on. People already stuggling with their water through the rebuild will be happy to know that we are further along in the rebuild then they think we are. By all rights we should have our future starting SG, C, and PF already on the roster (and maybe the SF too). But the C and PF are the key developments this year, not the playoffs. Accept it. Be at peace. Everything is cyclical in life, including NBA life.

Last edited: