Tropical Island Video Game Draft -- Pending playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is definitely my hardest pick in any draft ever. I had such a clear #1 with OoT and never really thought about my #2. Now that I have my list hand written down I am trying to narrow down what to pick. I know many of what I am considering right now for my pick will not be there when this pick gets back so this is very hard...........gotta think about it for a bit.

Five hours later......

Half-Life 2 (2004) - PC

I know at least one person specifically is waiting to pick up the predecessor to this game. And while the predecessor may be more influential then Half-Life 2, there is no way in hell it is better. I consider Half-Life 2 to be the best first-person shooter ever, maybe with one exception....

I built my computer just to play this game, as it was the most cutting edge thing ever when it came out. Its physics engine is still the best and most realistic out there almost 4 years later, with hundreds of mods having been made for it to show off every single little thing you can do with it.

Add to that an amazing story with the background set by its predecessor, great characters, excellent writing, oh and probably the most mysterious arch-villain in gaming history and you have an unbeatable FPS in almost every regard.
Believe it or not, I never got around to playing this game, and I'm a big FPS fan. I should really look into buying it, especially if you say its better than the original.

btw, I'm having internet problems lately, so sorry if I don't update the board. Hopefully I can straighten everything out soon enough

My selection: Tetris (1989) for Gameboy

I have been playing this game, this EXACT edition since 1989 first on my Gameboy, then on my Gameboy color, and now on my Gameboy Advance SP. I can remember the mall had game stations set up in the walkway where you could "try out" this game and the line was nuts, kids were addicted, and a true phenomenon was born. This game has shown up on every video game console since, in the arcade, and in just about every computer operating system... oh, yeah, then there are the infinite number of clones and variations of this game still being made today. There are more complex games, more graphically intensive games, but as far as playability and re-playability goes, this game is number 1 and that is what I care about. Seriously, I could play this game for 5 minutes or 10 hours day after day... I even bought a Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra album to get their ska cover of the Tetris theme music. TETRIS RULES!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Draft over. NoBonus wins.

EDIT - Man, remember the good old days when we had the Arcade? remember when I was the unquestioned Master and Commander of Tetris? Good times.

EDIT - Man, remember the good old days when we had the Arcade? remember when I was the unquestioned Master and Commander of Tetris? Good times.
I do recall the old arcade days (nearly completed my own arcade MAME machine... until I started having kids), but I seem to recall me being the King of all Tetris... What was weird was there came a time when Tetris was the only game I would not get destroyed at by some little kid...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Your memory is faulty... :p

I've got witnesses and, if I can ever get a docking station for my old HDD, I'll be able to show you the screen shots to prove it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Tetris never really grabbed me, but in some ways maybe the most brilliant of all computer games as far as simplicity/addiciton ratio goes. No plot, no graphics, rules any toddler can understand, and yet there is basically no need for it to ever be improved upon.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Your memory is faulty... :p

I've got witnesses and, if I can ever get a docking station for my old HDD, I'll be able to show you the screen shots to prove it.
I remember your dominance in the game. And, if I recall, you weren't exactly humble about it, either.

:p

I miss the Arcade, although my puny scores were no match for those of any of you kids.

At one point I was so Tetris-fried, I would see buildings, etc. and immediately start spinning pieces in my mind's eye to fit between them. Not good, especially while driving.

First Pick, and I'm having a terrible time responding to the Tetris Pick... This game has wasted more of my time, than any other game I've ever played, and it is still very addicting. It's bloody, dark, and full of variables. For my pick I choose...

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
with Hero Editor Software:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybHAb0VoFT4

[yt=Diablo II: Lord of Destruction]ybHAb0VoFT4[/yt]

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (2000)(PC Version). This is wonderful as a multiplayer too, but I could spend many a dark hour on a deserted island killing my demons in glee. The expansion gives an extra act to explore alnog with two new classes to experiment with. Nice...

Last edited:
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. This is wonderful as a multiplayer too, but I could spend many a dark hour on a deserted island killing my demons in glee.

Nice pickup (click, click, click), I think I busted a mouse or two playing this game (click, click, click, click, click... CLICK! CLICK! CLICK!)

Good picks by all so far. I added a new rule to avoid any potential confusion with future picks. It simply states that you assume that you have any accessories needed to play a game (like a guitar for GH for example).

I really had a hard time choosing my first pick(since my original one has been taken!:mad:).

I have never really been a big fan of FPS games for consoles, but this game really opened my eyes. For my first pick:

COD 4(2007)(Xbox 360)

I really had a hard time choosing my first pick(since my original one has been taken!:mad:).

I have never really been a big fan of FPS games for consoles, but this game really opened my eyes. For my first pick:

COD 4(2007)(Xbox 360)
Yeah I'm ridiculously addicted to this game (PS3) at the moment too, mostly because of the online play. But with my internet troubles recently I see that it's a pretty good single player game as well. Good pick

Yeah I'm ridiculously addicted to this game (PS3) at the moment too, mostly because of the online play. But with my internet troubles recently I see that it's a pretty good single player game as well. Good pick
I don't play this game online too much though. The reason why I dislike FPS games on consoles is because I find the controls very difficult(i'm used to the mouse and keyboard when playin FPS games), but this game is really very easy to control plus the graphics are great.

I had CoD4 on my list, but it is severely weakened by this no-multiplayer rule. Hell, I have never even played the single player past the first 3 levels but have around 50 hours on the multiplayer.

oh and FPSes on PC > FPSes on console

mouse + keyboard ftw

FPSes on PC > FPSes on console
quoted for TRUTH. i don't even get how you can play these things on a console.

call of duty is a great franchise. i used to play CoD2 with the internet team when I was with EA a few years back. such fond memories of running around shooting people's heads off. :D

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I have my choices for my next two picks narrowed down to three games...

I actually semi-hope that someone takes one because I wouldn't know which one to leave unprotected.

I don't play this game online too much though. The reason why I dislike FPS games on consoles is because I find the controls very difficult(i'm used to the mouse and keyboard when playin FPS games), but this game is really very easy to control plus the graphics are great.
Yah, I cannot stand playing FPS on a console.. The controls are just not made for FPS games. I would waste anyone and I mean ANYONE on a console if I got to play with a mouse and keyboard :D :D . For the last few years I go to the Counterstrike competitions. Never came REAL close to winning although I usually come in the top 10%. When I play online (pretty much any FPS) I usually have like a 20-1 kill ratio :cool:

I know what Brick wanted me to pick, but hopefully it's still available when the draft comes back (not likely :mad:.) With the 2nd pick in the draft, I select:

Street Fighter II - Capcom (1991)

Much like my Guns N' Roses pick in the music draft, I knew this one wouldn't make its way back to me. This is the fighting game that started it all. I spent many a quarter on this game when it first showed up on the scene. I was unstoppable as Chun Li. :D

best game ever.

With Ocarina of Time taken from me, I think I'll go in a drastically different direction.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 2004 - PS2

Not one, but three cities, a customizable main character, amazing soundtrack and for the first time in the series, swimming, plus all the gameplay and free roaming you'd expect from GTA.

I played this for a month on and off just going through the missions and still probably only completed a tiny fraction of the game. Having a high replay value like that is vital on the island.

I'm quite certain GTA IV surpasses its predecessors (haven't had the pleasure of playing it yet), but I still find San Andreas to be just as enjoyable as the first time I picked it up.

eh...yeah...I seem to recall being hammered by screen shots and reminders of your dominance.

Sigh...I miss the arcade...the link to the tetris game here still is a bookmark for kingsfans.com, I click it every once in a while hoping to have the game pop up, which would bring me much joy.

I was and remain so stupidly addicted to that game it's ridiculous. And yes, the theme music rocks.

Well as with the last 4 posters, with Ocarina taken from me....I'll grab its little brother.

The Legend Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

I have internal debates as to whether this or Ocarina of Time is the best Zelda game ever. Ocarina wins out by a hair because of the whole changing through time awesomeness that it was, but this is a REAAAAL close second in my book (with the whole changing through worlds awesomeness).

I've got this on my computer right now and I still don't remember where everything is, and I've played it more times than I care to count. Its truly one of the early epic games.

Status
Not open for further replies.