Tropical Island Video Game Draft -- Pending playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, seeing as the music draft is over and there seems to be no problem starting this one now, Bricklayer has left us in suspense too long and is officially on the clock. He has 24 hours to make his pick.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Alright, alright, enough building tension and terrifying all of you "opponents" into pooping your pants -- on with the game:

Civilization IV (2005) -- PC
Review
Having me have the #1 pick in this draft of all the drafts, is just, well wasted mostly. So I am just going to follow the mantra "be true to yourself" and take the one that matters to me, even if it might make an unlikely #1 overall for many a twitch/console oriented drafter. So my choice is 2005 PC Game of the Year winner Civilization IV, arguably the greatest 4x (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) god game ever designed, and the latest incarnation/culmination of perhaps the most famous series of strategy games ever made for the computer. The appeal of this pick depends entirely on what sort of gamer you are. If you are a twitch gamer, then this isn't in your Top 100. If you are a strategy gamer however...and it only takes one other one for this pick not to make it back around to me some 40 picks from now. I have played all the games in the Civilization series heavily, and as turn based PC strategy games they have always made perfect discreet little time wasters to drop into a busy adult schedule. But Civ IV, once you fully adapt to its complexity, is a thing of real beauty, and never gets old. In preparation for this pick I checked my versions' (have it on two computers) Hall of Fames, and discovered I have conquered the world 54 times through this game. I have won the game in every possible fashion -- I have domination victories, conquest victories, space race victories, cultural victories, diplomatic victories, and even a time victory. I have won it with over a dozen different nationalities. I have won it with leaders named Weeble Wobble, Hamburger Helper, Miraculous Bob, Charles de Poop, Mongo the Banana Hound and Belly Button of Doom. I have won it on almost every style map (there are dozens of styles, and all randomly generated so no two games are ever alike), and while I much prefer a huge map with maxed out opponents, and marathon game time, I have won it all the way down to tiny maps at normal speed. In short I have beat the hell out of it. But it never leaves the computers, never gets obsolete, and every few months I start up a new game planning to beat it again. Conquering the world never gets old.

Last edited:
the latest incarnation/culmination of perhaps the most famous series of strategy games ever made for the computer
orly?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/941684.asp

Guess you've been too tied up in the game to notice when a sequel comes out! :p

Great pick though. I have it somewhere. Never got waaaay into it like that. I think I need to pick it back up again though....never felt like I got out of it what I could have.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I know what Brick wanted me to pick, but hopefully it's still available when the draft comes back (not likely :mad:.) With the 2nd pick in the draft, I select:

Street Fighter II - Capcom (1991)

Much like my Guns N' Roses pick in the music draft, I knew this one wouldn't make its way back to me. This is the fighting game that started it all. I spent many a quarter on this game when it first showed up on the scene. I was unstoppable as Chun Li. :D

I know what Brick wanted me to pick, but hopefully it's still available when the draft comes back (not likely :mad:.) With the 2nd pick in the draft, I select:

Street Fighter II - Capcom (1991)

Much like my Guns N' Roses pick in the music draft, I knew this one wouldn't make its way back to me. This is the fighting game that started it all. I spent many a quarter on this game when it first showed up on the scene. I was unstoppable as Chun Li. :D
Brilliant...Nice Pickup.

I think people should be specifying the console and/or with their picks like:

Civilization IV (2005) - PC

developer/publisher should be optional

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Revolutions isn't a sequel of Civ4, so much as it is a console adaptation of a pc game.

Excellent pick; I just got done playing online with my man from Richmond; we;ve been running the Next War mod lately, but we keep wiping out all our rivals before we get to the good ****. :D

With the third pick you have to go with a future classic. A game which people waited in line for a long long time. It's only been out for a short time, but DAMN... This is a GREAT game!!!

The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (1998) Nintendo 64

I know, cliche pick right?
WRONG.

I'm still a king haters :)

Haha Jk. but really, the game that will always sticks out in my mind as being way more awesome than any other game ever. But I digest. (burp) But I digress. Yeah. OoT ftw GOAT lol brb and all that.

Last edited:
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

WRONG.

Haha Jk. but really, the game that will always sticks out in my mind as being way more awesome than any other game ever. But I digest. (burp) But I digress. Yeah. OoT ftw GOAT lol brb and all that.
That was my first pick. You've made an enemy today, Venom ...

... ;)

Damn, Ocarina of Time was my pick too. Oh well, at least I get my #2. My pick is:

Final Fantasy VII (1997) - Playstation

This may also seem cliche, but not in my eyes. The first Final Fantasy released for the PS, this game set the standard for literally all RPG's of its kind in terms of graphics, gameplay, and depth (3 discs, many side-quests).I've finished this game 4 or 5 times, and I've yet to beat Ruby and Emerald Weapon, among a few other things.

Review

[yt=FF7: Midgar Area]UfTbFHFh9BU[/yt]

Last edited:
it may have set the standard for current RPGs, but make no mistake that its predecessors set the standard for RPGs PERIOD. :)

good luck with emerald and ruby. i never defeated ruby, and for emerald it took knights of the round + double + quadra + mime for all of my members (that's 24 knights of the round per turn) and about 40 minutes to beat it. x_x

it may have set the standard for current RPGs, but make no mistake that its predecessors set the standard for RPGs PERIOD. :)

good luck with emerald and ruby. i never defeated ruby, and for emerald it took knights of the round + double + quadra + mime for all of my members (that's 24 knights of the round per turn) and about 40 minutes to beat it. x_x
Yeah I know, I just think this one separated itself from the rest of them. And yeah, it's insane. In case you don't know, I'm pretty sure the strategy to Ruby might be the same, but with Hades thrown in there somewhere as well. Also, when you go to fight Ruby, make sure only 1 party member is alive (he'll dig his tentacles into the ground immediately this way), and then revive them once the battle starts

Last edited:
Damn, Ocarina of Time was my pick too. Oh well, at least I get my #2. My pick is:

Final Fantasy VII (1997) - Playstation

This may also seem cliche, but not in my eyes. The first Final Fantasy released for the PS, this game set the standard for literally all RPG's of its kind in terms of graphics, gameplay, and depth (3 discs, many side-quests).I've finished this game 4 or 5 times, and I've yet to beat Ruby and Emerald Weapon, among a few other things.
Nice pick! After beating that game, as it took FOREVER, I get nostalgic just thinking about it.

With the third pick you have to go with a future classic. A game which people waited in line for a long long time. It's only been out for a short time, but DAMN... This is a GREAT game!!!

And there goes my #1 pick.:( I was kinda hoping it would fall down to me since everybody else was picking classic games. I hope my #2 will go unnoticed.

The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (1998) Nintendo 64

WRONG.

Man, my eloquent reply to you picking this got deleted.

Probably for the best. I was quite pissed when I got home and saw you had taken it.

Grr....my pick will be up soon

This is definitely my hardest pick in any draft ever. I had such a clear #1 with OoT and never really thought about my #2. Now that I have my list hand written down I am trying to narrow down what to pick. I know many of what I am considering right now for my pick will not be there when this pick gets back so this is very hard...........gotta think about it for a bit.

Five hours later......

Half-Life 2 (2004) - PC

I know at least one person specifically is waiting to pick up the predecessor to this game. And while the predecessor may be more influential then Half-Life 2, there is no way in hell it is better. I consider Half-Life 2 to be the best first-person shooter ever, maybe with one exception....

I built my computer just to play this game, as it was the most cutting edge thing ever when it came out. Its physics engine is still the best and most realistic out there almost 4 years later, with hundreds of mods having been made for it to show off every single little thing you can do with it.

Add to that an amazing story with the background set by its predecessor, great characters, excellent writing, oh and probably the most mysterious arch-villain in gaming history and you have an unbeatable FPS in almost every regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.