Ronny Turiaf maybe to GS - does this help Kings?

Ronny Turiaf got a weak offer from Lakers, Goldenstate offered him 4yr/17mil...does this make Ron Artest Lakers key offseason move?

oops please move to personnel

I think that is they loose Ronny, the need a defender. besides Kobe and Bynum. Ronny is a real hustle player. is he worth 17 million.....(look at Mikkie moore). I am a fan of Ronny....but i dont see lakers matching that.

$4 million a year for Turiaf is probably less idiotic than the Maggette signing, assuming he's healthy that's fairly good value for a hustling PF/C coming off the bench. It will be interesting to see if the Lakers match.

ronny is so not worth that much money...
4.25 mil is a bargain in this league...no he's not 'worth' it but thats what he's gonna get. welcome to the nba.

what this does mean is that the lakers are going to have to re-load if they want another shot, not just sign role players. they might be comfortable with their roster next season, seeing as they only had gasol for half the season and still won the western conference, but if enough talent bleeds they might be pushed into doing a deal like trading for artest.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
With Andrew Bynum coming back, Turiaf was a expendable item anyway. Does his signing with the Warriors help the Kings? Yep. It means he won't be part of a trade to us. I cannot stand Ronny Turiaf. In fact, if it weren't for Luuuuuuke, Turiaf would hold the distinction of being the member of that team I despise the most as far as being totally freaking useless goes.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Wow. Talk about same planet, different worlds... :eek:

Turiaf is the only player on the gd lakers that wouldn't cause me to vomit if he ended up in a Kings uniform.

The Lakers are wise not to beat that offer, giving any young unproven player a shot would be a better decision. Turiaf is terrible.

But who are we to talk when we hold the enviable contracts of K9, SAR, and Mikki Moore...
~~

People really think Turiaf is worthless? I mean, personal and Laker distaste aside, since when was a hustling backup PF/C who averages 6 points, 4 boards, and 1.4 blocks in only 18 minutes a game a bad thing? If Verejao is worth $6 million (and people thought that was a bargain), Turiaf is definitely worth $4.

People really think Turiaf is worthless? I mean, personal and Laker distaste aside, since when was a hustling backup PF/C who averages 6 points, 4 boards, and 1.4 blocks in only 18 minutes a game a bad thing? If Verejao is worth $6 million (and people thought that was a bargain), Turiaf is definitely worth $4.

Correct. I just don't get people saying he's garbage. We're probably the last team that can talk about overpaying for garbage (cough*Moore*cough).

At least Turiaf is young and useful. He is by no means rubbish.

A couple years down the line, Turiaf may be perceived as a guy that makes you go, "How the hell did this guy land this gynormous contract?" He had flashes with the Lakers, that's for sure, but his play is prevalent upon his energy--he lacks refinement, and I doubt he'll ever develop it. Now, he can thrive in an up-and-down system such as the Warriors with his ability to block shots and slam dunks, but he's undersized and too feisty perhaps for his own good. I get a feeling part of the huge offer stemmed from the fact that he played for a winning team--his stats are okay but don't really warrant that kind of $, and he doesn't seem to have the potential to be more than what he currently is. Foul trouble will always limit his minutes. Semi-talented cheerleader, but the $$$ should've been in the 2.5-3 million range instead.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Damn. Well that's one: we only get to agree four times a year, nbrans. We've got three more left... :p

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
A couple years down the line, Turiaf may be perceived as a guy that makes you go, "How the hell did this guy land this gynormous contract?" He had flashes with the Lakers, that's for sure, but his play is prevalent upon his energy--he lacks refinement, and I doubt he'll ever develop it. Now, he can thrive in an up-and-down system such as the Warriors with his ability to block shots and slam dunks, but he's undersized and too feisty perhaps for his own good. I get a feeling part of the huge offer stemmed from the fact that he played for a winning team--his stats are okay but don't really warrant that kind of $, and he doesn't seem to have the potential to be more than what he currently is. Foul trouble will always limit his minutes. Semi-talented cheerleader, but the $$$ should've been in the 2.5-3 million range instead.
Undersized? :confused:

It's a helluva thing when a 6'9"-6'10" PF is considered "undersized."

Varejao was overpaid. The Cavs are definitely paying for it--they're realizing the extent of his talents (he clearly cannot improve more from here, he's a hustle player through and through) and that's why he's on the trading block. It's unfortunate how agents are able to control the bargaining chips and the teams are subservient to them; that's why potential, although an abstract term, is important because predictions down the line are crucial in determining the $$$ involved in any contract.

I happen to think that Varejao is better than Turiaf; far better rebounder, slightly more disciplined defender, taller, and knows how to reign in that fire more. But both were definitely overpaid.

Undersized? :confused:

It's a helluva thing when a 6'9"-6'10" PF is considered "undersized."
He's not really undersized, but I guess part of my opinion stems from the fact that whenever I watch Laker games, he's always the guy matched up against the opposing team's center--obviously failing miserably due to his lack of height against them. He actually seems to be on the small side of 6'9" though, looking at him.

By the way, I'm not too sure if Ronny's a PF. He's a PF by height, yes, but he's probably a center by skill level. Highly reactive, little skill apart from a developing jumpshot. Almost tweenerish.

Last edited:

Same guy that couldn't average a single rebound in 10 minutes per game in the Finals.

Same guy that couldn't average a single rebound in 10 minutes per game in the Finals.
Don't get me wrong, Turiaf has value. But his play is the type that while effective in spurts, when you reviewing the game as a whole you actually see that his impact overall is minimal to average at best. Not exactly a "facade" type player, but something about his game screams "undisciplined" out to me. Has the tools with shotblocking and pretty good athleticism and youth on his side, but it's hard to imagining him developing further--the game's not all based on energy.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Don't get me wrong, Turiaf has value. But his play is the type that while effective in spurts, when you reviewing the game as a whole you actually see that his impact overall is minimal to average at best. Not exactly a "facade" type player, but something about his game screams "undisciplined" out to me. Has the tools with shotblocking and pretty good athleticism and youth on his side, but it's hard to imagining him developing further--the game's not all based on energy.
To be honest with you, you've been all over the place on this one. He's gone from failing miserably and being garbage, to having some value. To say that his game is effective only in spurts is sort of reduntit. Considering that all he gets to play, minutes wise, is in spurts. He's in for four minutes here and three minutes there. At the end of the game it probably adds up to fifteen or sixteen minutes a game. You've called him undersized, and he's not. You call him undisciplined and I call him tough. He's not afraid to get in and bang with anyone. You just don't like it when it happens to be one of the Kings.

As you can see, I like him and I have always liked him all the way back to his college days. He's not pretty, but he does the job asked of him. Trust me, people are going to like him even less when we play the Warriors. He's only 26 yrs old by the way.

Darius Songaila is getting, what, average of 4.6 mil a year over five years... he averages about 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal,and 6 points a night in about 20 minutes... very similar stats to Turiaf as a big. I think the reason a team would need Ronny or Darius is to manage to not completely blow it while the starters are resting on the bench, little else. Is that worth 4.5 mil? Not to me, but who am I? I would think there are tons of young bigs out there who can manage to not blow it that have more potential for improvement.

I HATE Ronny Turiaf.

Good work coming back in such a short time from his heart condition and everything, and I hope he stays healthy, but on the basketball court? He makes my skin crawl. He's the most annoying player in the Pacific Division.

I think the reason he got such a lucrative offer is because he is a player and a cheerleader all rolled into one. Seriously though I don’t see how anyone can hate this guy. He plays with heart (no pun intended).

I can't see any player short of Kobe or Bynum that would satisfy my needs in a trade for Artest to the LAKERS. The Lakers just dont have the assets to aquire Ron to my satisfaction. I see Denver and Boston and definitely NY Knicks as potential suitors in a trade. Mainly NY because I can't see them giving their rookie 38+minutes a night and maintain a winning record. And if Danilo doesn't get his minutes, they flat out wont have a winning record. Trade a 1st round pick and Danilo for Artest and some chump change makes sense for both teams. Basically Turiaf to GS doesn't help or hurt the Kings.

I dont want any player other than

danilo, NY knicks
Ryan Andersen, NJ NETS
Loul Deng, Chicago
Josh Smith, ATL.

All four players = a good Ron Artest substitute.

It may be possible that the Lakers go after "the matrix" instead of Artest. Don't know how salaries work out but Lamar for Shawn. Although not as good as Artest, Shawn was always thought of as a 'defensive' minded player. Just a thought.

Umm totally have this in the wrong thread. My bad.

Last edited:
I HATE Ronny Turiaf.

Good work coming back in such a short time from his heart condition and everything, and I hope he stays healthy, but on the basketball court? He makes my skin crawl. He's the most annoying player in the Pacific Division.
You and me both, although I have no good reason to hate him. For me, it's the dancing on the sideline. Kobe is out there dropping 50 on someone and Turiaf is dancing on the sideline like he had something to do with it. Drives me insane. (If he wasn't a Laker I wouldn't care, so that obviously has a lot to do with it too.)