Beno agrees to terms with Kings

On a different yr where FA point guards were more available maybe Beno wouldn't have got the full MLE. But still a good signing as it gives us a good starter and a back up in Singletary.

BTW, did anyone hear that the lakers offered Ronny Turiaf only $1 mil for 1 yr?

2.6mil for sasha for 1 yr.

I say the Kings sign Ronny away for $1.3 mil. Can't hurt having another big that hustles.
The difference between good and bad negotiating. There isn't a lot of cap space available this offseason so a team might as well start at a more reasonable offer and work from there. I think the Kings should have done something similar with Beno.

On a different yr where FA point guards were more available maybe Beno wouldn't have got the full MLE. But still a good signing as it gives us a good starter and a back up in Singletary.

BTW, did anyone hear that the lakers offered Ronny Turiaf only $1 mil for 1 yr?

2.6mil for sasha for 1 yr.

I say the Kings sign Ronny away for $1.3 mil. Can't hurt having another big that hustles.
That would not be possible, as that would require Turiaf to cut the umbilical cord with which he has attached himself to Kobe.

Should have kept Ronny Price but still this is a move in the general right direction. Still this does not guarentee him a starting spot for more than a season or so. I hope he can end up the back up to a better distributing guard.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As a starter last season:

51gms 35.2min 14.4pts (.474 FG% .404 3pt% .861 FT%) 3.5reb 5.0ast 0.9stl 0.1blk

So that's not bad value at your MLE if he does nothing more than sustain. Especially for a 26yr old (in 4 days).

Its obviously not a player who is going to carry you anywhere, but if you could come up with a legit superstar somewhere to attract attnetion, Beno is a guy who could be a good roleplayer off of him. And he has the size to be a combo guard off the bench too if we were to get somebody better at the point. The only problem there being that he played lie crap off the bench for us last year, and was highly erratic in that role in San Antonio. Hopefuly not another Salmons situation.

A

AriesMar27

damn... what a waste of the mle.... we use it and win 33 games or we dont use it and win 25...

Ugh. Bad move. Too much money over too many years. Like others have said there are cheaper options available that can hold the fort down until we draft our PG of future. Let's hope Beno doesn't miss half the season with a sore pinky, or that someone doesn't look at him the wrong way at cause him to get hurt. Beno is one of the softest players in the NBA. That's the reason Popovich gave up on him, he has no toughness and can't play through any pain. I also love his assist to turnover ratio, those are the type of numbers I love to see from my starting PG.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
He hardly played in San Antonio the entire time he was there. He might have played decently, but it doesn't change the fact that he's had exactly one season with a regular role in the rotation. The only reason his agent can demand the MLE is because he's a "starting PG" (even though the team he started for only started him because their guy was injured and their backup belongs in the D-League). Backup PGs don't get MLE deals, especially guys as unproven as Beno. This is the same thing Bonzi tried to do, leverage one good year into a massive contract you haven't earned because the Kings will overpay to keep anyone they like. Let him test the open market and I bet the Clippers are the only other team dumb enough to give him the full MLE for 5 years.
Really, he performed well in his first opportunity to do so. I don't think you can hold that against him. It's not his fault Tony was there. He is still young and improving. And he isn't a backup PG anymore. He started all year once he joined the team (and his fracture healed).

So he goes to the Clip and we start who? Sean? Q?

Unless we traded Artest for a PG or sign someone else, we had nothing in the way of a starting PG if Beno walked. And Beno is better than a lot of the others being mentioned as replacement possibilities, even at a cheaper price....

Really, he performed well in his first opportunity to do so. I don't think you can hold that against him. It's not his fault Tony was there. He is still young and improving. And he isn't a backup PG anymore. He started all year once he joined the team (and his fracture healed).

So he goes to the Clip and we start who? Sean? Q?

Unless we traded Artest for a PG or sign someone else, we had nothing in the way of a starting PG if Beno walked. And Beno is better than a lot of the others being mentioned as replacement possibilities, even at a cheaper price....
Who cares? Just grab some cheap stop gap, we're not contending for anything.

For all the critics who don't like this deal, where are the alternative ideas? Some say "any" PG who can hold down the fort until the "real" future PG is drafted will work. Well, who? Not only that, but who's to say the star PG will be drafted any time soon? How long do the Kings sign scrubs for lower prices until that star PG emerges? Should this team forego the MLE offer to Beno and continue to field more Orien Greenes and Anthony Johnsons for less so they can lose for two or three more seasons until they get a top pick and grab a top PG prospect? I have the feeling some fans here won't ever be happy unless the team makes some NBA 2k move where you force Chris Paul to be traded here for Moore, SAR, and KT.

Warhawk

Staff member
Like others have said there are cheaper options available that can hold the fort down until we draft our PG of future.
Cheaper options that are as good? Or cheaper options that everyone will complain about the Maloofs not spending any $$$ to win more games? And what if (like this year) no "PG of future" is available in the draft? Do we hang on to a "cheaper" PG for more years until we do draft that legendary PG? And how long does it take that PG to develop?

Just asking....

Last edited:
Cheaper options that are as good? Or cheaper options that everyone will complain about the Maloofs not spending any $$$ to win more games? And what if (like this year) no "PG of future" is available in the draft? Do we hang on to a "cheaper" PG for more years until we do draft that legendary PG? And how long does it take that PG to develop?

Just asking....
Why do they need to be as good? Who cares if people complain? We're not winning anything this year.

the alternative idea (one singular idea that seems to evade the front office) is to stop treading water. signing beno adds some wins to us, but does it get us into the playoffs? no. are we contending? no.

ultimately, this move only keeps us above drowning. and what does that do? a draft pick in the 10-15 instead of the 1-10.

as vlade4gm said, who cares? ho, and hum. this cycle of players worth mle does nothing except hurt your flexibility. mle players should be signed to be the few extra role pieces around your superstar. last time i checked, no one around here even wants the only player we have with superstar talent (i said talent, i didnt say he's put it all together).

Entity

Hall of Famer
I am loving the mystery "pg of the future" who is he please somebody tell me his name so I can watch him. Warhawk you and I seem to be on the same page with the timing of this all. It is un GP like to get this kind of stuff done this early. Basically he is finished BUT, I don't think he is. Positions are see and contracts are signed. Now he has 3 months to shop and not worry about who is here and who isn't. We also don't have to worry about him using the MLE in late August again on a washed up PF. I think somebody is gone. here is my list of players that COULD be traded.

QD or Sheldon-- 2nd round pick or filler for later trade
Ron-- 1st round pick or 2 maybe young pg
Brad--pick and an expiring
Salmons or Garcia-- not sure

I am not saying all those will happen but 1 of the 5 or maybe a combo of some sort.

Next order of business is the buyout of KT and the retirement of SAR.

Beno better bust out like Steve Nash now...

On one hand I like this because he put up good numbers as a starter, he's a nice person/team player, and he still has room to improve. On the other hand I really don't like it because I'm just not sure he's "the guy" and that's a long term contract for someone who isn't "the guy". I have mixed feelings about this.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Problem is the cheap stop gap was probably once a promising young pg. and that is exactly what we would be looking for in the draft sooooo what if all he becomes in anther cheap stop gap.

Beno 1st year starter on a team he didn't go through camp with and was a stop gap until Bibby came back. Gave us 14pts 5ast. Can't as for much more than that from any young pg with Martin, Artest averging 20pts and Miller getting 15. In fact I was very pleased with Beno. Just want to see how he does with confidence knowing he is the starter.

Unfortunate that it's so long, and ending with a player option, since Beno's got a rep for being on the fragile side. Still, better than average as our annual $30M commitments go. It's not what I would have wished for, but it could have been worse.

44 wins in Adelman's last year and an Artest guarantee gets Kings 8th spot in the playoffs. A rugged 4-2 loss to #1 seed San Antonio.

33 wins under huge disaster Musselman.

38 wins under determined first year head coach Theus.

I could see the Kings winning 7-10 games more next season and competing for a playoff spot, where according to Artest a championship is THE GOAL, THE ONLY GOAL:D

WELCOME BACK BENO!!

I would hope that in the next couple of years Jerry Sloan retires and when Deron Williams becomes a FA we make a run for him and have a backcourt that looks like

1.Willaims/Beno
2.Martin/Garcia

For all the critics who don't like this deal, where are the alternative ideas? Some say "any" PG who can hold down the fort until the "real" future PG is drafted will work. Well, who? Not only that, but who's to say the star PG will be drafted any time soon? How long do the Kings sign scrubs for lower prices until that star PG emerges? Should this team forego the MLE offer to Beno and continue to field more Orien Greenes and Anthony Johnsons for less so they can lose for two or three more seasons until they get a top pick and grab a top PG prospect? I have the feeling some fans here won't ever be happy unless the team makes some NBA 2k move where you force Chris Paul to be traded here for Moore, SAR, and KT.
Kind of an absurd statement. Its not like the only two options are continually signing mediocre players to salary cap crippling contracts or trading our crap for stars. I think the issue some of us fans have is that this is not a long term strategy for rebuilding a contender. It is a strategy for fielding a competitive team that may squeak into the playoffs and is ok to watch, but that's it. Some people are ok with that strategy and have hopes that a mid-draft pick develops better than expected or a lucky trade is offered and that's one way to look at it.

I would rather the team look at the future and make some moves that are clearly built towards a contending team and not merely a competitive one. But that's just me.

Warhawk

Staff member
Why do they need to be as good? Who cares if people complain? We're not winning anything this year.
Because you don't bleed talent for no reason.

Losing SAR, KT, etc. would not be bleeding talent.

And Beno has talent. He's young. He will more than likely improve as he gets more PT and more experience with the team and a training camp under his belt. These are the guys you hold on to, and the MLE isn't unreasonable for a decent PG.

Kind of an absurd statement. Its not like the only two options are continually signing mediocre players to salary cap crippling contracts or trading our crap for stars. I think the issue some of us fans have is that this is not a long term strategy for rebuilding a contender. It is a strategy for fielding a competitive team that may squeak into the playoffs and is ok to watch, but that's it. Some people are ok with that strategy and have hopes that a mid-draft pick develops better than expected or a lucky trade is offered and that's one way to look at it.

I would rather the team look at the future and make some moves that are clearly built towards a contending team and not merely a competitive one. But that's just me.
However the story is not finished yet, you never know what moves will be made next.

even clippers got better before us....again

if they get baron davis and sign elton back

Baron Davis
Mobley/Eric Gordon
Al Thorton
Elton Brand
Chris Kaman/DeAndre Jordan

However the story is not finished yet, you never know what moves will be made next.
You know, that's how I used to feel about the Kings and Geoff. After the last 2-3 years, I just don't hold my breath on big moves. I'm a die-hard fan and don't think I could ever love another team like the Kings, but I just don't have high hopes for their improving (in this fashion). If Geoff proves me wrong (and I hope he does), I'll gladly eat my words. I just haven't seen anything to make me feel that way.

Because you don't bleed talent for no reason.

Losing SAR, KT, etc. would not be bleeding talent.

And Beno has talent. He's young. He will more than likely improve as he gets more PT and more experience with the team and a training camp under his belt. These are the guys you hold on to, and the MLE isn't unreasonable for a decent PG.
The sole purpose of Beno is to keep this team in the middle. That's the whole purpose of it, to keep us afloat NOW, it has nothing to do with the future and that's what's wrong with it. Yea, he's 26, I get it. He's still a role playing vet who is what he is. He's not apart of a rebuilding process, he's apart of the rebuilding on the fly process, which hasn't worked yet and will never work.

Last edited:

Just asking....
Probably no one else as good as him was available this year, I'll give you that, but I don't want someone as good as him this year, I want a cheap veteran 2-3 million that is capable, maybe won't score as much or be as flashy, but can at least run the offense and set up his teammates. We are going nowhere and competing for nothing this year, so why do we need to pay Beno, who is average at best, 6 million to contend for nothing?

We didn't get a PG this year because we are still stuck in the mindset that we can be just good enough to compete for that last playoff spot (actually we can't). If we finally quit signing MLE band-aids to eek out an extra 3-4 wins each year we will get a top 10 draft pick, let me list 5 PG prospects better then Beno that should be available in next year's draft: Ricky Rubio, Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson, Darren Collison, and possibly Tyreke Evans. That's 5 better PG options. Add in to the draft the likes of the top non-PG's, Blake Griffin, Demar DeRozan, B.J Mullen, Hashem Thabeet, and Earl Clark and your odds of getting one of those top PG's with a top 10 picks are extremely high.

We don't need to wait years and years until we "draft that legendary PG" we need to wait approximately 1 year. 2 max.

He hardly played in San Antonio the entire time he was there. He might have played decently, but it doesn't change the fact that he's had exactly one season with a regular role in the rotation. The only reason his agent can demand the MLE is because he's a "starting PG" (even though the team he started for only started him because their guy was injured and their backup belongs in the D-League). Backup PGs don't get MLE deals, especially guys as unproven as Beno. This is the same thing Bonzi tried to do, leverage one good year into a massive contract you haven't earned because the Kings will overpay to keep anyone they like. Let him test the open market and I bet the Clippers are the only other team dumb enough to give him the full MLE for 5 years.

Sorry, but you don't know anything about basketball. You don't do what Beno did consistently over the course of a season, game after game, without having serious game. Beno can absolutely torch the Lakers and Derek Fisher for 5 games in a season...that's reason enough to give him 30 million :D

All these fans bemoaning the fact we signed him, and used up our 'precious' cap space, get real. This is good value, smart use of cap dollars, and a tradeable piece in the future if he shows the same level of professionalism and commitment to his game as he did last year.