Jason Thompson

How do you grade the pick of Jason Thompson?

• Total voters
Dickie V didn't like the pick, says he hopes Theus has a a multi-year contract because he's all potential.

PEOPLE THIS IS TERRIFIC NEWS.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Dick Vitale just did one of his patented positive rants and raves about Jason Thompson and said Theus should get a 5 yr extension from the Maloofs for this. He loved the pick.

Last edited:
Thompson rarely used his superior size, quickness, and athleticism to his advantage. While he had a couple of nice possessions in which he faced the basket and attacked the rim, he had trouble maintaining his position in the low post and was visibly frustrated by his lack of touches as the game wore on. In fact, he did not successfully score with his back to the basket until he literally muscled a Marist big man from the perimeter for an easy basket with 8 minutes remaining in the second half! His low post game, in particular suffered because he was unable to find his touch around the basket, which has been a question throughout the season.
Oh, now I know why we picked him...

I like this pick. I heard some really good things about Thompson and I think Petrie has snagged another gem. People have been wanting Petrie to show some guts, to do the unexpected, to reach out, etc. He does it and some still aren't happy? At least we didn't get a tweener guard or another SF ...

:D
I agree 100%! I was devastated after Bayless was taken and when I heard Thompsons name being called I jumped up with excitement! He may be considered a reach by some, but he has legit talent and size.

He could be a very good player. I'm ecstatic. He has alot of potential, and at the very least we know he can play the game, unlike some other projects.

Thank you Geoff. Most who know about him would agree that he's at least a solid pick.

:D

"Try to catch a Rider game on the tube before the season is over. You'll want to tell your kids you saw Jason Thompson play in college."
- Seth Davis, SI.com

Hawes is Brad 2.0? i dont think so .. hes got more post moves than brad.... hes more slick than brad imo... the way i see brad hes a little robotic :p

i like the pick... buti was hoping bayless dropped to us but there HAS to be a reason for him to fall that far... from the 12th pick its all potential and projects.. jason thompson brings that big man we oh so really needed.. he can start and mikki moore goes off the bench while kt and SAR sulks :p

It's a 12th pick and you take some chances. I'm actually like it. I liken this to the drafting of Brian Grant, who was not a big name, but actually made an impact on the Kings before he became a greedy b-s-tard and went for the jack to POR.

I was disappointed Bayless was taken and would have prefered him, but this pick is one that could end up being a steal.

wasnt it THEUS who wanted to bring in big guys with toughness :p he got it.. besides our front line is pretty soft.. the question is.. did we give up on sheldon williams to early with this pick? or we trade him with a 2nd rounder for another first round

Hmmmm. Skilled big man. Not an athlete. Are we looking to have the most unathletic team in basketball? Is this Petrie's logically extreme conclusion? I don't see how in the world this guy is going to complement Hawes. It was an incredibly safe pick. But don't you want to take a chance on athleticism? I wish Petrie would have found his Gerald Wallace self instead.

I swear some people wouldn't be satisfied no matter what. :rolleyes:

It's going to be absolute chaos for a few days.

what doesnt make sense to me is that dick said that jason has potential potential potential but at the same time he was the first senior taken .. and from the analysis they gave us said he can contribute right away blah blah .. i like dickie V but he really only makes sense 24.9 percent of the time ..

Dick Vitale just did one of his patented rants and raves about Jason Thompson and said Theus should get a 5 yr extension from the Maloofs for this. He loved the pick.
I think his opinion holds more weight than Ford or any of these wannabe draft gurus. The guy is college basketball, though can be annoying most of the time. Hope this works out for us. It isnt a wow pick, but could ultimately benefit us in the long run.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If Hawes couldn't get any PT, I wonder how Thompson will...
He's mostly a PF, not a C. And Brad is much better than Mikki. And it also must be mentioned, since this is classic Geoff: Thompson's old for a modern rook. Means he's more likely to be ready now, and he only has to earn Mikki's minutes, or give us a reliable platoon there instead of either KT/SAR or even poor Shelden.

The NBA is filled with legit stars who got drafted "too early" and supreme duds who "should have gone earlier."

You cannot conclusively tell me that we picked him too early. To suggest so is ridiculous. Let's talk in 3 years. I am sure that you were concerned about the WHEN a few years back when we took KMart.

But it's a crapshoot today, get as much VALUE as you can NOW. It's still a reach no matter how you slice it.

I like the pick, seems to be a guy who has it all physically. Maybe a tad early, but GP has never been someone who moves around on draft day. I think this might set us up to look at Dragic in the second to maybe snag a possible PG prospect?

I'd love to see us try to hop back into the first to get another big, I know we now have a 4 and 5 with Spence and this guy but the draft is deep in bigs and it couldn't hurt to add depth on the front line. Maybe sneak back into the first to try to snag Jordan/McGee/Hibbert?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
wasnt it THEUS who wanted to bring in big guys with toughness :p he got it..
I don't think Thompson is terribly known for toughness. He is full sized though, which marks the first full sized potential starting PF we've had here since we traded Webb. Will be nice.

Entity

Hall of Famer
KT will be in a suit all year maybe SAR also. This pick may be a msg to both that they are not going to be used maybe SAR will retire and maybe KT will opt out doubt-it buy maybe he will take a lesser buyout.

http://www.rider.edu/174_13186.htm

I had posted a couple days ago some game stats showing Jason Thompson vs Mike Beasley in a K-State / Rider tournament match-up last season. I had some of the stats off - apparently way off. Jason TOTALLY outclassed Beasley, even though his Rider team lost 82-69. This big man is FOR REAL.
As good or better than Beasley - only time will tell.

Kenny and Reef really aren't on the team anymore. And trading Brad should be a real option.

I still think Brad to Houston for their expiring old pg platoon and their pick makes PILES of sense for both teams. We get a fill in PG for the year, they get a legit third scoring option. We take Jordan/Batum/Chalmers