More Donaghy -- Alleging NBA Fixed Game 6 Series in 2002?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone catch the blip on ESPN?

Donaghey claims that two refs helped fix games in the 2002 playoffs and I also caught something about a star player being helped. Hmmm.........wonder what series he's talking about

So the guy says that two officials intentionally extended a series to a 7th game on league orders. Only one series went to a 7th game that year.

You guess which series that was.

Supposedly our series was the one he's talking about... ouch. He said the 2 refs extended the series to 7 games on purpose, ignored flagrant fouls and made up fouls. ESPN said the only series that went to 7 games in that playoffs is the one we played vs LA I think.

It has to be Violett Palmer and Bob Delaney. Delaney had mob ties before when he was an undercover agent and said he actually felt sorry for the guys he busted before in a book or whatever, and then it's either Palmer or Bavetta and I don't think Bavetta is crooked.

Kings were CHEATED!!

from ESPN

The letter also details an incident in the 2002 playoffs in which Donaghy alleges that two referees, who were known as NBA "company men," wanted to extend a series to seven games. "Team 5" could have wrapped up the series in Game 6 but lost two players to ejection, lost that game and ultimately the series.
It is not clear which series this account refers to

and the only game that was extended to game 7 was the Kings, Lakers!

So the guy says that two officials intentionally extended a series to a 7th game on league orders. Only one series went to a 7th game that year.

You guess which series that was.

Yeah, we got screwed really badly. Only thing for Stern to do now is take the Lakers 2002 championship, and give it to us:D.

Nah really though we got screwed and it still hurts.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He has been alleging a lot of things against anybody he can slime. That's certainly an obvious target. But the question obviously is can he prove any of it? If he could, that would obviously be the bombshell of all bombshells. Always been the one game, the one reffing job that I have never been abel to truly reconcile myself with.

Watching SportsCenter now, not sure if there's an article yet, but Donaghy has alleged in court documents that an unnamed playoff series was fixed in 2002 and extended to a Game 7.

Here's the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401

ESPN just said 2 unnamed refs fixed game 6 was so the lakers would win MOTHER #%^&%*@*(#*#&#(#*#^#(#)# AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! nba=WWE SH## they took a championship from us to the lakers could add another one *(%^*(&%*%*(&^*&(^*(^*(

But the question obviously is can he prove any of it? If he could, that would obviously be the bombshell of all bombshells. Always been the one game, the one reffing job that I have never been abel to truly reconcile myself with.

I absolutely agree. If some sort of verifiable proof comes of this, I wouldn't know what to say.

He has been alleging a lot of things against anybody he can slime. That's certainly an obvious target. But the question obviously is can he prove any of it? If he could, that would obviously be the bombshell of all bombshells. Always been the one game, the one reffing job that I have never been abel to truly reconcile myself with.
Yeah, this is about where I'm at. There's a tremendous difference between making allegations and proving that they're true, so I'm prone to skepticism in a case like this. BUT, if there's ever been a game where I wouldn't be surprised to learn it was actually fixed, that would definitely be the one.

After watching that game, I believe it. It was so bad, how can you not?
Not saying I don't believe it either.

Read the ESPN article's description of what they instructed the refs to do for Yao's illegal screens.

There's a big difference between the NBA saying, "Make sure the Lakers win" and the refs favoring the Lakers because it would lead to a 7th game. I absolutely believe the latter, but I don't know about the former.

As much as it would not shock me, I really do not want it to be true. What would it do other than hurt the game? It would not change the fact that we did not win that year. We can't go back and replay the game. Even if they "voided" the lakers title, it would not be ours. All it would do is lower the credibility of the game. I hope it is not true.

as much as this opens old wounds up, the more i think about it the more i'm convinced that actual proof will never be made public. the league will do whatever it has to (literally- mafia style) to make sure that does not happen.

As much as it would not shock me, I really do not want it to be true. What would it do other than hurt the game? It would not change the fact that we did not win that year. We can't go back and replay the game. Even if they "voided" the lakers title, it would not be ours. All it would do is lower the credibility of the game. I hope it is not true.

Thats just what it hopes it does so maybe one day the games can be called square.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Obviously is the Kings/Lakers WCF too.

Only series that went 7 games that year.

Two Kings (Pollard and Vlade) fouled out in Game 6, just as alleged. Webb got up to 5 himself and we had to play Fundy.

Just all a question of whether any of it is verifiable -- it must be noted, and underlined, that Donaghy is coming forward with all this stuff in an effort to get his sentence reduced. Therefore he has every motivation to lie even if he knew nothing in particular. The Game 6 fiasco -- whether mere incompetence or actual fixing -- is well established in pop NBA culture at this point.

Last edited:
Do we have grounds for a class action lawsuit? Because someone owes me for my pain and suffering !!!!!:mad:
No sh**!

What Brick says is true. It was so widely considered one of the worst refereed games ever, that it is one that Donaghey could easily target for false accusations, that many would be all too ready to believe. Of course, if not cheating, I felt the refs were flatout incompetant.:mad:

Man that game hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.