Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

I like nbadraft.net. They have a few good reporters that get to go to some of the events and report on it. Although I have no idea why for the longest time after declaring they kept Lawson off the board, and now Speights. They did have Speights in the 2008 draft for a while then recently for some reason they moved him to 2009. Not sure if they know something everyone else doesn't.

:eek: If you like Patrick O'Bryant, you'll LOVE DeAndre Jordan...

B U S T CITY
The problem with your logic is you've assumed he will be a bust before it actually happens.

I would only call it a bust if we failed to develop him correctly. And then the bust would be on us. This kid as all the potential in the world. He just needs the right organization to help him realize it.

And as for Patrick O'Bryant I wouldn't write the book on him just yet. He was always said to be a "classic late-bloomer", big men take longer to develop, bringing in Nellie meant little to no time for Patrick to develop on court, he is rebounding and blocking shots at a very decent rate averaging only 4 minutes/game. And I could go on. The bottom line is this kid still needs time to develop. In fact we should look to make a trade with GS...I guess I should thank you for the idea. :)

Not to mention I wouldn't even mind if we drafted Jordan and he became a bust. In that case at least we tried to address our shortcomings. We could just continue to add depth to our SG/SF positions. We could draft a garbage PG. Maybe that would make you happy. Not me.

And the last and most obvious point is that virtually every player that will be available at our pick has bust potential. That comes with the territory of picking in the middle of the first round.

The problem with your logic is you've assumed he will be a bust before it actually happens.

I would only call it a bust if we failed to develop him correctly. And then the bust would be on us. This kid as all the potential in the world. He just needs the right organization to help him realize it.

And as for Patrick O'Bryant I wouldn't write the book on him just yet. He was always said to be a "classic late-bloomer", big men take longer to develop, bringing in Nellie meant little to no time for Patrick to develop on court, he is rebounding and blocking shots at a very decent rate averaging only 4 minutes/game. And I could go on. The bottom line is this kid still needs time to develop. In fact we should look to make a trade with GS...I guess I should thank you for the idea. :)

Not to mention I wouldn't even mind if we drafted Jordan and he became a bust. In that case at least we tried to address our shortcomings. We could just continue to add depth to our SG/SF positions. We could draft a garbage PG. Maybe that would make you happy. Not me.

And the last and most obvious point is that virtually every player that will be available at our pick has bust potential. That comes with the territory of picking in the middle of the first round.
I agree, and I disagree.. Your right about O' Bryant. As soon as Nellie took over, he was doomed as far as playing time. So, in my opinion, the book is still out on him. Actually, I beleive he's a free agent this year. Not sure if he's restricted or not.
As far as who is the blame for the failure of a player to develop, its first and formost the players responsibility. Big men can go to the big man's camp during the summer or they can sit on their butts at home eating home cooking and drinking cervesa's. All the good players spend most of the off season working on their game. Now whether they get the opportunity to show off their ability is up to the team. As in O' Bryants case, he didn't get much of a chance. But if he's worked on his game, his chance will come.

Their mock draft order is pretty bad, as are the hall of fame predictions (Rose has an 80% chance of making the hall of fame, really?). But their scouting report of Arthur makes him sound like someone Petrie's not likely to pass up:

Arthur has a remarkable court awareness as he is almost always in an ideal position on both ends of the floor. He posts with purpose; constantly trying to seal his man and can finish well with either hand. Arthur is also a good passer out of the post and pretty much anywhere else on the floor. His ball-handling does need a great deal of more work.

He is very athletic, sprinting the floor with gusto, beating his man down the floor for easy transition buckets. His jump shot is far from developed, but shows nice promise.
For what it's worth, they have Arthur going 13 to Portland, with the Kings picking DeAndre Jordan at 12. Jordan terrifies me. I hope Miami loses the lottery, picks him at #4, and he's a bust.

Their mock draft order is pretty bad, as are the hall of fame predictions (Rose has an 80% chance of making the hall of fame, really?). But their scouting report of Arthur makes him sound like someone Petrie's not likely to pass up:

For what it's worth, they have Arthur going 13 to Portland, with the Kings picking DeAndre Jordan at 12. Jordan terrifies me. I hope Miami loses the lottery, picks him at #4, and he's a bust.
If they lose the lottery, I hope its to us. As for mock drafts, I like Draftexpress.. They have their own scouting teams that actually go to the pre-draft camps and they also cover the European teams better than any of the others. Their final mocks are pretty accurate.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Huh? THey just updated their site on May 12th.
I've been checking, and while he was briefly on their 2008 draft earlier in the year, since Speights declared himself eligible for the draft (the early entry deadline was April 27th), he has never appeared on nbadraft.net's 2008 mock. Yeah they updated the site, sure. But it's not like they have some breaking news or something and took him off. They never even put him on for some reason. Anyway, the latest news I've read seems to suggest Speights is staying in the draft even though he hasn't hired an agent yet. Like I said before, they're either going off a hunch by leaving him on the 2009 draft or they plain forgot.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I agree with them about Rose. I think he is going to be a completely amazing player. I'll go out on a limb and say he'll be a bigger Chris Paul. He's that good. Rose (IMO) will be the best player out of this draft. If I'm picking at number one, I'm taking Rose no matter who I am and what my needs are. He is an amazing player with amazing size, ball handling, athleticism, leadership, passing skills and scoring skills. Not to mention his intangibles and ability to control and take over a game. He's the real deal.

What's wrong with the report on Arthur? Nothing they say is really wrong. I'd be happy with him at our pick. He's big, he's an athletic freak and he's packed with potential. He's also came up big when Kansas needed him to. Yes, he's not the full package, but if he puts it all together he can be a very good player, maybe even a star.

I realise Jordan is a bit scary, but at 12, you just don't pass up on that potential. He may turn out to be a bust, but who really cares in the longevity of things? We need a superstar, now is the time where we can afford to take chances.

What's wrong with the report on Arthur? Nothing they say is really wrong. I'd be happy with him at our pick. He's big, he's an athletic freak and he's packed with potential. He's also came up big when Kansas needed him to. Yes, he's not the full package, but if he puts it all together he can be a very good player, maybe even a star.
Didn't say anything was wrong with the report, simply the draft order (agree that DX is the best for this), and the exaggerated HOF predictions. The report, if anything has some new elements for me--the passing especially makes me think he's a Petrie pick more than I did before.

Wait he is getting a workout with us? Link?
I would hope he would get a workout with us, but I thought they wern't allowed to schedule workouts until after Orlando. I could be wrong about that.

I like Anderson. He's very underrated for a guy that I beleive averaged over 20 pts a game in the Pac 10 and close to 10 rebounds a game. His rebounding stats are pretty impressive considering he shared the floor with Hardin. He's actually not a bad athlete. Its just, that if your playing next to Hardin, your probably going to look unathletic. I think he got, undeservingly labeled with the "White men can't jump" stamp.

I would hope he would get a workout with us, but I thought they wern't allowed to schedule workouts until after Orlando. I could be wrong about that.

I like Anderson. He's very underrated for a guy that I beleive averaged over 20 pts a game in the Pac 10 and close to 10 rebounds a game. His rebounding stats are pretty impressive considering he shared the floor with Hardin. He's actually not a bad athlete. Its just, that if your playing next to Hardin, your probably going to look unathletic. I think he got, undeservingly labeled with the "White men can't jump" stamp.

Yeah I'd be fine with taking him with a 2nd rounder, but I thought we couldn't schedule workouts yet? That's why I want to know.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I would take Justin Williams over Hardin, Arthur, Mcgee, Anderson, Jordan basically all of the PF's that will be available at the 12th pick. None of these guys have better than average shot blocking or rebounding ability or as good on defense as Justin. 2 or 3 of them are better offensively. None look to be difference maker for our future. We would be better off with good role player (Justin Williams) at the PF spot until the oppurtunity comes along to get that difference maker.

Am I alone with these feelings? Am I wrong? feel free to explain the holes in my assesment for I am open for input.

I would take Justin Williams over Hardin, Arthur, Mcgee, Anderson, Jordan basically all of the PF's that will be available at the 12th pick. None of these guys have better than average shot blocking or rebounding ability or as good on defense as Justin. 2 or 3 of them are better offensively. None look to be difference maker for our future. We would be better off with good role player (Justin Williams) at the PF spot until the oppurtunity comes along to get that difference maker.

Am I alone with these feelings? Am I wrong? feel free to explain the holes in my assesment for I am open for input.
I really like Justin as well, but no one knows for sure how those players you listed will turn out. With our crappy draft position chances are those are all that will be available to choose from so you might as well take a chance on one of them and hope for the best. Really what else is there to do in our position?

Anderson wouldn't be bad if we got him in the second round. He reminds me of Troy Murphy, he can score inside and outside, can take the ball to the basket and rebound. The thing i like most about him is he went to my high school.

If Miami loses the Lottery the worst they will draft is either Mayo, Bayless, or Lopez.. With Beasley and Rose going 1 and 2 those three players are 100000000% guaranteed to go 3/4/5 in no particular order.

This is the way I have it......

Miami takes;
#1 Rose
#2 Rose/Beasley
#3 Bayless
#4 Bayless/Lopez
(PG PG PG... But they can also use a PF too and move Marion to SF so the #2 wouldn't be so bad)

Seattle takes;
#1 Beasley
#2 Beasley/Rose
#3 Lopez/Bayless
#4 Lopez/Bayless
#5 Lopez/Bayless/Mayo
(Durant and Green are the future. Sonics need everything else. I am not a fan of Wilcox)

Minnesota takes;
#1 Beasley
#2 Beasley/Rose
#3 Lopez/Mayo
#4 Lopez/Mayo
#5 Lopez/Mayo/Bayless
(Foye looks to be the real deal at PG, and they can play Jefferson at either PF/C. Corey Brewer at SF. SG/PF-C is all that's left)

Memphis takes;
#1 Beasley
#2 Beasley/Rose
#3 Lopez/Mayo
#4 Lopez/Mayo
#5 Lopez/Mayo/Bayless
(Memphis needs a big. Milicic has finally proven in my eyes that he sucks.. Warrick has proven he's not a PF... So Move Gay to SG, Warrick to SF, Play Conley at PG, and hope, and pray you get Brook Lopez, or Michael Beasley....)

Anderson wouldn't be bad if we got him in the second round. He reminds me of Troy Murphy, he can score inside and outside, can take the ball to the basket and rebound. The thing i like most about him is he went to my high school.
For a minute there I was thinking you were talking about Antonio Anderson until you mentioned high school.. Then I remembered Ryan Anderson. I would LOVE to see him fall to our 2nd rounder but I heard that if he's not assured of being drafted in the first round then he is withdrawing. Actually there are quite a few bubble players that will probably withdraw even though they declared. Lawson, Chalmers, Ryan Anderson, Antonio Anderson, Dozier, Ellington.. Many many more.. As the draft gets closer we will see these declared players un-declare themselves.

If Miami loses the Lottery the worst they will draft is either Mayo, Bayless, or Lopez.. With Beasley and Rose going 1 and 2 those three players are 100000000% guaranteed to go 3/4/5 in no particular order.

This is the way I have it......

Miami takes;
#1 Rose
#2 Rose/Beasley
#3 Bayless
#4 Bayless/Lopez
(PG PG PG... But they can also use a PF too and move Marion to SF so the #2 wouldn't be so bad)

Seattle takes;
#1 Beasley
#2 Beasley/Rose
#3 Lopez/Bayless
#4 Lopez/Bayless
#5 Lopez/Bayless/Mayo
(Durant and Green are the future. Sonics need everything else. I am not a fan of Wilcox)

Minnesota takes;
#1 Beasley
#2 Beasley/Rose
#3 Lopez/Mayo
#4 Lopez/Mayo
#5 Lopez/Mayo/Bayless
(Foye looks to be the real deal at PG, and they can play Jefferson at either PF/C. Corey Brewer at SF. SG/PF-C is all that's left)

Memphis takes;
#1 Beasley
#2 Beasley/Rose
#3 Lopez/Mayo
#4 Lopez/Mayo
#5 Lopez/Mayo/Bayless
(Memphis needs a big. Milicic has finally proven in my eyes that he sucks.. Warrick has proven he's not a PF... So Move Gay to SG, Warrick to SF, Play Conley at PG, and hope, and pray you get Brook Lopez, or Michael Beasley....)
I am pretty sure Sonics would take Rose over Beasley any day of the week. Same goes for the T-Wovles who have publicly stated a while ago that if they got the #1 pick they would take Rose.

I think there are a lot of teams that would take Rose over Beasley if they had the #1 pick. I am not really sure what Petrie would do if he had the #1 pick.

I have explained before the shortcomings of Williams. I also stated that I like him and I hoped he would do well. BUT, he has absolutely no clue on offense, and therefore, no one guards him, allowing the other team to double at will. And on defense you only see what he does do and not what he doesn't do. He fails to rotate. Which is covering your teammates back when he leaves his man in help defense. Think about it. If he was so good, why is it that he can't stick with any team.
I would take Ryan Anderson over Williams any day of the week. All he does is score 20 pts a game and grab 10 rebounds a game. He's a very good passer and he knows how to play the game. Is he spectacular, no, but he wins you games.

I know Gary will like this article. I still won't be convinced until I see some actual results in the combine and that includes his reach.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...ry?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-080516

Thanks for the article. I suscribe to ESPN and then I forget to go check out their articles. I've always wondered how Love would do if he really got into shape. I've never had a problem drafting him, I just didn't think he would fall all the way to 12. And I still don't..

I know Gary will like this article. I still won't be convinced until I see some actual results in the combine and that includes his reach.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...ry?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-080516
That's friggin crazy..

I saw that and thought to myself "Kings have no chance". The Kid is so damn NBA smart already. I knew he would commit to lose weight too. That's great! :)

He says he going to try to "shock people" at the combine.. Can't wait! :D

Last edited:
I am pretty sure Sonics would take Rose over Beasley any day of the week. Same goes for the T-Wovles who have publicly stated a while ago that if they got the #1 pick they would take Rose.

I think there are a lot of teams that would take Rose over Beasley if they had the #1 pick. I am not really sure what Petrie would do if he had the #1 pick.
I though I posted about this last night.. Anyhow I think you are right about Seattle. I think my Wilcox prejudice showed.