Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

But a guy like Randolph will be at least 3 years from contributing...

Again, See Love tonight? Anyone purchase the Direc-TV package? 4 games on one screen kicks butt. UCLA has one hell of a team Defense. The only way that anyone will ever threaten UCLA is if they play a team that has tremendous interior play. Kansas, Georgetown, North Carolina, Memphis, Stanford, and a couple others..

Texas A&M might give them some problems but in return UCLA will abuse them down low as well.. I predict a 66-57 game on Saturday for UCLA over A&M..

Duke stands no chance if they advance.. Not against UCLA's perimeter D. Purdue, Xavier are run and gun teams.. No chance.. UCONN? Maybe...
So? Are we expected to contend sooner than that?

I have a question about one Russian guy from Ukraine - Vyacheslav Kravtsov (he appeared on NBAdraft.net some time ago).

Is he really good and what is his potential ??
May be guys from Serbia or Lithuania know something about him.

So? Are we expected to contend sooner than that?

Well not contend yet, but at least improve.... If we sit a guy on the bench for three years than what makes you think he will start instantly contributing if we had a contender?

I know what you are saying about putting him in the d-league, but who should we have to? PF is our weakest position so why not have him learn by playing with the best rather than putting him in the d-league? If the #12 pick isn't picked to contribute right away (even if it's a Hawes type role for the first year or two) than why pick him? If he's already d-league material before we draft him then why draft him? You don't make a lottery pick and say to yourself "let's put him in the d-league for a couple years". You play the guy, or at least give him a chance to play.

I am curious... Being realistic with the players we have a chance to draft (that could slide to #12) who would you take?
1. Augustin
2. Love
3. Thompson (predicted late 1st round so we might be able to trade down)
4. Collison

2 PGs, and 2 PFs. Even if we re-sign Beno, and Augustin is available it would be dumb not to take him (even if Love's available). He's a talent you don't pass on.

Doesn't the Nets have two picks? I know they are looking for a big so why not trade out pick, and Miller for their two picks, and an expiring? They are pretty screwed with Jefferson, and Carter... They are signed for a long time, so they can put together a core of Jefferson, Carter, Harris, Miller, and our pick they can get a PF in there.

I have a question about one Russian guy from Ukraine - Vyacheslav Kravtsov (he appeared on NBAdraft.net some time ago).

No clue.. Outside of youtube I have not seen anything of him..

But a guy like Randolph will be at least 3 years from contributing...

Again, See Love tonight? Anyone purchase the Direc-TV package? 4 games on one screen kicks butt. UCLA has one hell of a team Defense. The only way that anyone will ever threaten UCLA is if they play a team that has tremendous interior play. Kansas, Georgetown, North Carolina, Memphis, Stanford, and a couple others..

Texas A&M might give them some problems but in return UCLA will abuse them down low as well.. I predict a 66-57 game on Saturday for UCLA over A&M..

Duke stands no chance if they advance.. Not against UCLA's perimeter D. Purdue, Xavier are run and gun teams.. No chance.. UCONN? Maybe...

I have UCLA losing to Texas in the final 4(and it's a repeat of what happened earlier this season so you can't say it's insane).

Duke isn't going to advance. I had them losing to Arizona but AZ lost to WVU tonight. But come on man, Duke is pathetic. They almost just lost to Belmont. I expected way more out of them(despite being a Duke hater).

I want Augustin on the Kings. Any of you guys think Russel Westbrook will declare?

I guess I'm qualified to comment.;)
My friends who happen to be fans of his team. They say that physically he's on par with Fesenko(Utah) and Pecherov(Wizards) but much less skilled and not exactly smart.

I don't get how UCLA gets Duke, UConn and Xavier as their biggest competition in their bracket whereas in the South bracket you have quality teams in Memphis, Pitt, Stanford and Texas all competing. UCLA by far has the easiest road to the final 4.

Well not contend yet, but at least improve.... If we sit a guy on the bench for three years than what makes you think he will start instantly contributing if we had a contender?

I know what you are saying about putting him in the d-league, but who should we have to? PF is our weakest position so why not have him learn by playing with the best rather than putting him in the d-league? If the #12 pick isn't picked to contribute right away (even if it's a Hawes type role for the first year or two) than why pick him? If he's already d-league material before we draft him then why draft him? You don't make a lottery pick and say to yourself "let's put him in the d-league for a couple years". You play the guy, or at least give him a chance to play.

I am curious... Being realistic with the players we have a chance to draft (that could slide to #12) who would you take?
1. Augustin
2. Love
3. Thompson (predicted late 1st round so we might be able to trade down)
4. Collison

2 PGs, and 2 PFs. Even if we re-sign Beno, and Augustin is available it would be dumb not to take him (even if Love's available). He's a talent you don't pass on.

Doesn't the Nets have two picks? I know they are looking for a big so why not trade out pick, and Miller for their two picks, and an expiring? They are pretty screwed with Jefferson, and Carter... They are signed for a long time, so they can put together a core of Jefferson, Carter, Harris, Miller, and our pick they can get a PF in there.
Well his PT will be determined by his development, I have no idea if that means he'll be a 15mpg bench player for the first three years of his career. I'm sure it will be a steady progression to contribution if there is one.

Look, I'm not saying put him in the D league for 2 years, I'm saying put him in the D league early on when he wouldn't be getting significant playing time. It would be a way to ease him in playing against competition more closer to NCAA. If he can get playing time up here, great I'm all for getting him NBA PT, I just know what happens with these kinds of players. You're vastly overrating a late lotto pick, especially in this year's draft which is not overwhelming.

Of those 4, I would definitely pick Augustin. Right now; Batum, Randolph, Augustin, and Arthur is my list.

Pretty much all I know about what the nets want to do is cut salary so they can go after James in '10, Miller doesn't interfere with that, but I don't think they're thinking about contending right now really and trading draft picks and expirings is probably not a good idea for them so I doubt it. Also, they're largely an up tempo team, so I doubt they'd be that attracted to Miller. This is just my speculation through various stuff I've heard about them though.

i think we should wait one more year on the pg. We get one more year to see what beno can do, and if we need a change, we draft Ricky Rubio next year. Rubio is incredible. His defense is something like ron artest and his offense is just nasty too. Ide rather have rubio than anyone else.

i think we should wait one more year on the pg. We get one more year to see what beno can do, and if we need a change, we draft Ricky Rubio next year. Rubio is incredible. His defense is something like ron artest and his offense is just nasty too. Ide rather have rubio than anyone else.
With the way we continue to play and the moves we make, we will not be in a position to draft Rubio next year. He will be one of the best PGs in the NBA for years to come. He will be going top 5, possibly top 3. Meanwhile, we will be working our way towards that 12th spot again.

I'd love to get another 1st rounder this year and get Ty Lawson. Think he's going to be a very good player. With our own pick take somebody like Randolph, or definitely Batum if he's there (unlikely).

Awesome news. UConn loses and now Thabeet will have a better chance to fall to our pick. I was hoping this would happen and it did. SD came through in the clutch.

Awesome news. UConn loses and now Thabeet will have a better chance to fall to our pick. I was hoping this would happen and it did. SD came through in the clutch.
Thabeet will likely be there when we pick. While I do like him, I don't think he'd be my no.1 choice considering who's likely to be there at our pick. Players like Randolph, Batum (probably won't be there), Donte Greene and McGhee are just some of the players I would like ahead of him. Probably Augustin too. Still, I'd be happy with Thabeet. But he looks so lost on offense it's kind of scary. And he's not a great defender, although he has the potential to be a great one considering his length, height and athleticism along with the fact that he's still raw and learning.

Thabeet isn't worthy of a lottery pick.. He's been dropping in most mock drafts too (except nbadraft.net). nbamock, draftexpress, mynbadraft all have him 17+

Thabeet will likely be there when we pick. While I do like him, I don't think he'd be my no.1 choice considering who's likely to be there at our pick. Players like Randolph, Batum (probably won't be there), Donte Greene and McGhee are just some of the players I would like ahead of him. Probably Augustin too. Still, I'd be happy with Thabeet. But he looks so lost on offense it's kind of scary. And he's not a great defender, although he has the potential to be a great one considering his length, height and athleticism along with the fact that he's still raw and learning.
I don't think Greene is coming out this year and I really don't like him, he reminds me too much of Tim Thomas.

QFT ^^^ Although Greene is listed as a SF He probably would make the jump to PF because he has the size, an will probably put on weight. He's cursed with horrible rebounding intuition. Watching him in the NIT just solidified my assumption that it would be a wasted pick if we did pick him..

Thabeet too..

Randolph blah blah blah..

Batum would be fine if we decided to get rid of Salmons, and Garcia. I was able to download a couple of LeMans games and he looked pretty good. He's one of those guys that has such a sweet stroke, and the euroleague fundamentals.

What do you guys think of JJ Hickson? He's only 19, about 6'9'', pretty athletic, good rebounder. I remember hearing he said he'll declare. Maybe we could package our 2 seconds for a late 1st and give him a shot? To be honest I've only seen him play I think once or twice so most of this is going off stats/what I've read.

There wasn't a single moment in that SD/UConn game where I didn't want to draft Thabeet. He such a defensive force that the game is completely different when he is in there versus him being on the bench. His sheer size deters most guards, he plays solid man-D, blocks or alters a shot once every 2 minutes. During that game I watched Thabeet look solid at coming out to block shots at the 3 pt line. I watched his soft hands around the basket. I watched his surpisingly smooth stroke at the charity stripe.

Hey, it is no secret that most of you around here do not like Thabeet, especially at our pick. But I am not taking my foot off the pedal for one second. Thabeet is still has the most potential for the future and can contribute now with his size and defensive capabilities. And he has been playing basketball for what...2 years? He is improving his game constantly and if he stayed in college for one more year, he would undoubtedly make the top 5 IMO. Considering the tools he has, the rate at which he is learning, and the fact that he could slip to our pick, it just seems silly to me to pass on him. Especially with the arguments that he is raw, or looks lost offensively.

I think the worst case scenario is that Thabeet becomes a slightly better version of Desagana Diop. Diop went 8th in the first round of 2001.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
If Thabeet can't play big against big teams, and he can't play big against SD, why would we get him with a lottery pick? I understand potential, but that seems like a lot to risk on a guy who's barely learning the game of basketball. Do you think he would learn much on the bench for the Kings? It would be at least 2 years before he saw any reasonable minutes. I would take a late flier on him if we picked up a second pick in the draft, but I wouldn't draft "team cornerstone" on potential.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Bawla, there are kids in highschool that know more about playing basketball than Thabeet. Petrie would never take him, and don't worry about him being available at our pick. He's falling faster than a bomb from 30 thousand feet. He needs to stay in college another two years.

My pick is Thompson. He has the athleticism and the size and the potential that everyone seems to love. He also has skills. I know he plays for a small school, but he played well against good competition when he had the chance.

If everyone wants what Thabeet brings to the table, then for pete's sake just draft De Von Hardin. He can do everything Thabeet does plus rebound. AND, he knows what he's doing on the court. All Thabeet has is a little more height.

My top four choices in order are, Augustin, Thompson, Arthur, Collison. This changes if Griffin declares, or Mayo or someone else unexpectily slides.

My final four are: UCLA, Texas, Kansas, Wash. St. With Wash. St. being my dark horse. Go Pac 10.......

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I know this post has been responded to, but I have a few more points.

By this criterion, there a lot of players who aren't better than Hawes. Greg Oden, for one. Michael Beasley and Derrick Rose, the presumptive 1/2 this year? Not better than Spencer Hawes. Basically, there's no weight behind this argument.

I haven't seen Thompson play, so I can't make any assessment of him, but the numbers quoted here aren't that impressive in comparison to Love. Love goes for 17/11/1 on a very talented team - a team poised to make a Final Four run - in a very talented conference. As a freshman. Thompson averages three more points and two more rebounds, but does it on a team where he's the main offensive option, and in a conference where he is the proverbial 'man among boys'. As a senior. I think given the context, Love's numbers are more impressive.

As far as being too small for the NBA, aside from Boozer and Randolph already mentioned, Elton Brand is 6'8". I mean, LISTED at 6'8". He hasn't had a lot of trouble rebounding or playing in the post. Now does Brand do what he does based on outstanding athleticism, or based on outstanding skill? I'd say that the latter outweighs the former. In the recent Stanford game, Love held the 7'0", athletic, probable top-4 pick Brook Lopez to 2 offensive rebounds while grabbing 5 offensive boards himself. I have faith that it will translate.

This, I don't understand. Arthur is listed (and from the looks of it, certainly is) an inch shorter and 50 pounds lighter than Love. Arthur is Ron Artest size, not big-time NBA post player size, and will probably end up a tweener. He's more athletic, I'll give him that, but I don't think he's anybody's answer at the 4 anymore than a Julian Wright, a Thaddeus Young, or an Al Thornton. He'll be a 3 and slot down when a team goes small. But of the potential franchise guys in this draft, I put Love way higher than Arthur. Love's probably not a franchise player, but he's got a better shot at it than Arthur.
Love is a very good college player. But that doesn't mean squat for how his game translates in the NBA. He really struggles against the longer players to get his shot off underneath the basket, and in the NBA he is going to go up against that every single night. You've got to be able to finish if you are a NBA power forward. I don't think he's got the length or the jumping ability to do that. And on defense, he is going to hurt you. There's no way around it. He's good enough in college, but in the NBA, no way. He's going to hurt you. So what does he bring to the table? He's a great passer. He's a very good rebounder. He can shoot from the outside. Still, that's not enough. ESPECIALLY on the Kings. We are athletically challenged as it is. You want to add to that, pick Love. If Petrie picked him, it would be another piece that does NOT fit into the puzzle. We would all see that very soon, and before you know it, we'd be having discussions on what team we could trade him to.

Love is a very good college player. But that doesn't mean squat for how his game translates in the NBA. He really struggles against the longer players to get his shot off underneath the basket, and in the NBA he is going to go up against that every single night. You've got to be able to finish if you are a NBA power forward. I don't think he's got the length or the jumping ability to do that. And on defense, he is going to hurt you. There's no way around it. He's good enough in college, but in the NBA, no way. He's going to hurt you. So what does he bring to the table? He's a great passer. He's a very good rebounder. He can shoot from the outside. Still, that's not enough. ESPECIALLY on the Kings. We are athletically challenged as it is. You want to add to that, pick Love. If Petrie picked him, it would be another piece that does NOT fit into the puzzle. We would all see that very soon, and before you know it, we'd be having discussions on what team we could trade him to.
UCLA is 4th in the country on defense. Love is a fine team defender. Also, he goes up against NBA prospects all the time in college..

Taj Gibson - 18-12 with 5 steals / 13-11 with 5 steals and 2 blocks / 19-10 with a steal and a block

Brook/Robin Lopez - 12-6 with a steal and a block (when Love hurt his back early int he game) / 15-7 / 17-10 with 5 assists and 2 blocks

Ryan Anderson/DeVon Hardin - 19-14 / 22-6 with 3 assists and 2 blocks / 11-7 with 4 assists and 2 blocks in 19 minutes (blowout game)

Maarty Leunen - 26-18 / 15-11 with 2 assists and 2 steals

Jordan Hill - 26-11 / 24-15 with 3 blocks

There are other games, but to say he can't play with athletic players at or taller than he is is not correct. At least at the college level. DeVon Hardin, Ryan Anderson, Brook and Robin Lopez, Jordan Hill, Taj Gibson, and Maarty Leunen are all projected to be drafted. If not this year then next year when they declare.

Now will he compete high at the NBA level? Nobody knows until he does it.. I will say this again.. Proven college players who play at a high D1 level have a lot better success rate in the NBA than projects..

Supposedly he is.. His stock is only rising.. He was about #20 at the start of the year, and he has moved to around our pick. I believe nbamock, and draftexpress have the Kings taking Love.

edit: Love on draftexpress is now at #11.. ugh.. Wonder if he will even be available when we pick =/

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Re: Kevin Love

And on defense, he is going to hurt you. There's no way around it. He's good enough in college, but in the NBA, no way. He's going to hurt you.
Well, tonight against Texas A&M Love went for 19/11/8, the 8 being blocks. Two of those came face-up on a single possession against the 7'0" DeAndre Jordan - a tall, athletic lottery pick (whether he comes out this year or next). He also rose up high for a backside block on another big going in for a dunk on some nice help D. Altogether he played fantastic D down the stretch.

Maybe you'd like a taller, longer guy at PF. Maybe he's not the most athletic guy out there. But it sure doesn't look to me like it translates into defensive liability. People keep saying that, but over the course of the year he has become a good defensive player. If he can stuff an athletic 7-footer now, why can't that carry over to the NBA?

Last edited:
I have said that UCLA has the 4th ranked defense in the NCAA D1, and still nobody listens. I know his one on one defense was suspect (even though he kicked butt tonight), but I doubt after this tournament that he will be available anyway.. We might get stuck with a guy like Arthur or Thabeet. If that's the case I think we should go after a PG.. Rose, Bayless, Collison, Augustin, and Lawson are all going to be serviceable PGs at the next level..