Kings Should Offer Artest a Contract

Now that the trade deadline has come and gone and Ron Artest is still a King, let me be the first to say that Sacramento should make a "semi" commitment to Ron. In my view, petrie should allow Ron to enter into the Free Agent Market, with the understanding that if he does not find the deal he wants, there is a 2 year-20 million dollar offer that will be waiting for him here in Sacramento. That will allow Ron to seek out the big money "he" thinks is out there. And if it isn't there, we can bring back a solid two-way player that has a contract that will come off the books in 2010 along with Thomas, Miller, Abdur-Rahim, Moore, Salmons.

Then the real rebuilding will begin. And at the same time we will have our best player back for at least two years, and a piece that I feel Reggie Theus likes and can win with.

Then the real rebuilding will begin. And at the same time we will have our best player back for at least two years, and a piece that I feel Reggie Theus likes and can win with.
How can the rebuild possibly rebuild with Ron here? He is winning us more games than we need to be winning if we want to rebuild. Name me one team that has rebuilt through the 12th pick in the draft year in, year out? Eventually we will have to face the music and get rid of our best older players for young talent and picks. We did it with Mike, which was encouraging, but not with Ron, which is very worrysome.

I don't want Artest back here next year. Not because of his skills, but because he is going against what we need to do - rebuilding.

People think you can have it both ways, keep Artest and rebuild. Some even think it will speed it up? Can someone explain this reasoning?

Last edited:
lets just rebuild and get it over with. we cant win enough to get a ring and we cant lose enough to get a good pick. so just dump artest and move on. we've been sucking 3 years running. im tired of this see-saw effect

People think you can have it both ways, keep Artest and rebuild. Some even think it will speed it up? It's ridiculous.
As long as you have Reggie Theus here, he is going to compete. He wants to win. He says himself that getting to .500 is the goal of this team. And if he continues to preach playing hard, playing defense, playing smart, the Kings will not touch a high lottery pick. THIS TEAM WILL COMPETE.

So I am resigned to the fact that this team will attempt to follow the Laker model. Hit a home run in the draft (mid 1st round picks and hope you land a Bynum), allow those contracts to fall off and hope for the best.

Yes! I agree completely. Would love to see Ron in a Kings uniform for 2 - 3 more years. His game is blowing up and lets face it.. he's TRU Entertainment.

edit: WOW!!?!! I can't believe there's actually people that want to tank the season to try to get a high draft pick... FTW?

Last edited:
I agree, we should offer him a contract. Ron even said that he expect a good behavior clause in the contract.

I think that many fans take him for granted. His is the best player on the team and I hear fans call into 1140 all the time wanting to trade him away for other team's scrubs.

If Petrie can do it, we need to keep Ron. I am not a fan of losing to get a better draft pick. A early 1st round draft pick is no guarenty that we will get a good player. Also, I don't think people are taking into account that Ron is helping to teach the younger players how to play D. Fransisco has said that Ron has helped him play D better. The team is better with Ron right now than without.

I actually think that is a smart move. We've already freed up some cap space and should have (if a Lue deal went through) 3 draft picks this year to build around Ron and Kevin.

The dynamic of Ron down low and Kevin cutting and slashing is actually looking really good.

I honestly think we just needed to move Bibbs

A GREAT reason to have Ron around...

BRIGHT FUTURE: If former Hawks forward Shelden Williams was looking for a mentor, he found one in rugged Sacramento forward Ron Artest. One of the NBA's most physical and intimidating performers, Artest said he's going to take Williams under his wing and help bring out the former No. 5 pick's physical side. "I like him," Artest said before Wednesday's game at Arco Arena. "He knows how to play. Now I'm going to teach him a few tricks and turn him loose on some people. Because he's got the size, strength and the skills he needs to be effective. He just needs somebody to help him with the little things."
Link: http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/02/20/hawksnot_0221.html

:):):):)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
How can the rebuild possibly rebuild with Ron here? He is winning us more games than we need to be winning if we want to rebuild. Name me one team that has rebuilt through the 12th pick in the draft year in, year out? Eventually we will have to face the music and get rid of our best older players for young talent and picks. We did it with Mike, which was encouraging, but not with Ron, which is very worrysome.

I don't want Artest back here next year. Not because of his skills, but because he is going against what we need to do - rebuilding.

People think you can have it both ways, keep Artest and rebuild. Some even think it will speed it up? Can someone explain this reasoning?
Ron is 28 and most likely would be able to contribute on a significant basis until his early 30's. Why can't he be part of the rebuild? If we keep dumping our best players and hoping to replace them with great players except much younger, this rebuild will occur in 3-5 years. WITH Ron, it can occur quicker.

I will never understand why getting rid of our best player is a good idea and, yes, I am willing to take the risk of Ron. A little chest thumping doesn't bother me and I absolutely expect him to calm down now that his daughter's health seems to no longer be an issue.

Has anyone paid attention to his play of the last few games? ANYBODY!!! He scores and can eliminate the effectiveness of the other team's best scorer. There aren't many players in the NBA with those skills.

Bollocks to you, dime dropper! ;)

ps: don't you dare take that seriously.

Last edited:
Artest is not part of a rebuilding process and I doubt he wants to be. I hope he's gone next season.
But what all is involved in this 'rebuilding' process?? After all, this is the Maloofs and Petrie we're talking about here...the 'Kings' of 'building' on the fly, and who knows, maybe they plan on keeping Artest, and trading Miller, and starting Hawes next year? Beats the heck of me, though.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As long as you have Reggie Theus here, he is going to compete. He wants to win. He says himself that getting to .500 is the goal of this team. And if he continues to preach playing hard, playing defense, playing smart, the Kings will not touch a high lottery pick. THIS TEAM WILL COMPETE.

So I am resigned to the fact that this team will attempt to follow the Laker model. Hit a home run in the draft (mid 1st round picks and hope you land a Bynum), allow those contracts to fall off and hope for the best.
You cannot pull a Lakers because we do not have the superstar alreayd on the team. HUGE difference. The Lakers only had to add support pieces to one of the 50 best players ever to suit up. We have to add the core.

Ron is 28 and most likely would be able to contribute on a significant basis until his early 30's. Why can't he be part of the rebuild?
He can be part of the rebuild, but it's going to be alot more difficult to do with him, at least in my opinion. He's a great player, and he's the difference between a 25 win season and a 36 win season, which would be the difference between a superstar and a role player in the draft. Key word being "could", as nothing is guaranteed. Another point I'm making is that while Artest will likely be a solid player at that time, we could have gotten players for him now who will be entering their prime just as we're getting better. Two role players are better than one aging one, especially when we don't even know what the future holds with Ron. Will he demand a trade? Will he explode? Like you, I tend to think he won't, but we just don't know.

I just think Ron is slowing down the rebuilding process unnecessarily. We will not be going anywhere with him in the meantime, therefore why hang on to him when we can use him to build towards the future?

I can see where you're coming from, and probably the majority of people here would agree with you.

But what all is involved in this 'rebuilding' process?? After all, this is the Maloofs and Petrie we're talking about here...the 'Kings' of 'building' on the fly, and who knows, maybe they plan on keeping Artest, and trading Miller, and starting Hawes next year? Beats the heck of me, though.
hah. there is a plan? Come on now, what would possibly give you that idea.

Ron is 28 and most likely would be able to contribute on a significant basis until his early 30's. Why can't he be part of the rebuild? If we keep dumping our best players and hoping to replace them with great players except much younger, this rebuild will occur in 3-5 years. WITH Ron, it can occur quicker.

I will never understand why getting rid of our best player is a good idea and, yes, I am willing to take the risk of Ron. A little chest thumping doesn't bother me and I absolutely expect him to calm down now that his daughter's health seems to no longer be an issue.
Agreed. I'm all for keeping Artest (unless a really sweet deal comes along), but then again, I don't hear the "ticking" that everyone else seems to.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Now that the trade deadline has come and gone and Ron Artest is still a King, let me be the first to say that Sacramento should make a "semi" commitment to Ron. In my view, petrie should allow Ron to enter into the Free Agent Market, with the understanding that if he does not find the deal he wants, there is a 2 year-20 million dollar offer that will be waiting for him here in Sacramento. That will allow Ron to seek out the big money "he" thinks is out there. And if it isn't there, we can bring back a solid two-way player that has a contract that will come off the books in 2010 along with Thomas, Miller, Abdur-Rahim, Moore, Salmons.

That's throwing good money after bad. Let him go for nothing. Apparently, that is what Petrie was offered. And by the way, the Kings' official who, the day of the Artest trade said, "We can always trade him" (if something goes wrong), I wonder what he's thinking right about now??? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Having Artest now on this team makes for the weirdest hodgepodge imaginable - a bunch of youngins, a bunch of untalented veteran enders, some talented vets with no playoffs to play for, and Artest, who deserves his own special category. The schizo team has now become the multiple personality team.

We are on the way right now. This team is WAY better than anyone thought they would be. We are solid in ALL of the starting spots, but we need a better PF. Moore would be great coming off the bench. Martin, Ron, Beno, Miller, and one more PF is a very good lineup. Salmons, Cisco and Hawes off the bench might be pretty darn good.

Staring over will take YEARS

Bricklayer

Because until the day he finally keels over with one last bad rap lyric on his lips, you will never be able to trust Ron Artest. You rebuild with him as a pillar, and he has to be a pillar, your entire structure, all your work, is in constant danger of collapse. Just ask the Pacers. And now it will be for big $$ to boot.

You know what else? Ron Artest has been a loser. He has lost almost his entire career. He rarely makes the playoffs and when he actually was there he was shaky, and imploded in the biggest series of his life and took his team with him. Then he destroyed that team a few months later. He has been in the league 9 years, missed the playoffs more than half the time, and only once did he ever get past the first round (ending in the aforementioned implosion). He is a career 38% shooter in the playoffs. This is not the man to lead you to the promised land. he has no idea what it looks like or how to get there. And yet his new contract, attitude, and yes even talent (by ruining your draft position) are all active impediments to getting the guy who actually can get you somehwere.

Last edited:
We are on the way right now. This team is WAY better than anyone thought they would be. We are solid in ALL of the starting spots, but we need a better PF. Moore would be great coming off the bench. Martin, Ron, Beno, Miller, and one more PF is a very good lineup. Salmons, Cisco and Hawes off the bench might be pretty darn good.

Trying to win with this team will never happen. It's not possible, unless a superstar PF lands on our laps from the sky. How do the majority of teams get their stars? Through the draft.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I just think Ron is slowing down the rebuilding process unnecessarily. We will not be going anywhere with him in the meantime, therefore why hang on to him when we can use him to build towards the future?

I can see where you're coming from, and probably the majority of people here would agree with you.
At Ron's present salary, he is a bargain. What he will get in the future may be a lot less than what his agent says but then that's the future and the future may be this summer. If he opts out (I say he won't) and wants too much, let him go. It will save us clever moves to get cap space.

I think you are in the majority.

First, I don't think it will take years, but even if it does, it would still be preferable to being a middle-of-the road, non-contending team forever.

Bricklayer

Yes it will. It will take years from whenever we finally get around to it. So you can either fart around forever and THEN start over, making a 2-3 year process take 5, 6, 8, 10 however long you want to blunder about. Or you grow a pair and just get it over with as quickly as possible.

Man I can't believe how much kings fans have changed. You all use to be so happy that we could even win a game. We would pray to make it to the first round of the playoffs even if we get swept. Now all you guys want is a championship or tank.

I want my team to win every game. We almost made it to the finals not too long ago and we did not have to tank to get there. I love Theus and his desire to win now.

As for Ron, if we can keep him I am all for it. I just wanted to trade him because I feel he is going to leave.