Bibby headed to Atlanta

You think two more days would have made a difference?
yea, once other teams realize they arent going to get who they want.. this way bibby might have been traded to an actual contender...

on another note, i thought there was a time frame for when a player can be traded after they have already been traded.. if anyone knows this can they post it.. because i remember a few rumors earlier in the year about teams being interested in lue and johnson for backup point guards.. specifically lue going to boston.

Kudos Matt. The deal still sucks though.
To be fair, you consistently overrate what we can get in trades. I'd say whether it's good or bad depends on what else we're able to do to either get under the cap or make another trade possible. It's not a steal, but at least we're not taking on any Kenny Thomas-esque contracts.

didn't someone say this will save us nearly 15 million next year?

i think this is a great move. This season is over already. Clearly geoff is looking forward to next year to make a free agency splash with all of the money he just removed from the books.

To be fair, you consistently overrate what we can get in trades. I'd say whether it's good or bad depends on what else we're able to do to either get under the cap or make another trade possible. It's not a steal, but at least we're not taking on any Kenny Thomas-esque contracts.
It's still bleeding talent...that's a bad move...and ONE LARGE expiring NEXT year > many small expirings THIS year.

Shelden is 6'7.5 w/o shoes, 6'8.5 w/shoes, 7'4.25 wingspan (pretty damn good huh?), 8'8 standing reach, 29 in standing vertical, 33.5 max vertical.

With regular playing time I can see him being an 8 and 8 guy and good positional D.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I assume that we will buy some guys out
I think this may be a definite possibility. We aren't going to be able to trade Kenny Thomas. Let's not kid ourselves or anyone else. At this point, I think buying him out might be the smartest move they could make.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
didn't someone say this will save us nearly 15 million next year?

i think this is a great move. This season is over already. Clearly geoff is looking forward to next year to make a free agency splash with all of the money he just removed from the books.
I still don't think Petrie is looking at this year's FA market. I think he's aiming for something BIG from the 2010 market.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Sheldon will be interesting at least.

Now how do we make our roster shake out? Do we have to instantly cut two players, or is there an exception to work it out?

In a perfect world, I would like to see some of our new expirings get flipped to another team as salary filler in either a Miller/Artest/Thomas deal.

I doubt there's an exception though, and I see Dahntay and Lorenzon getting axed.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Shelden is 6'7.5 w/o shoes, 6'8.5 w/shoes, 7'4.25 wingspan (pretty damn good huh?), 8'8 standing reach, 29 in standing vertical, 33.5 max vertical.

With regular playing time I can see him being an 8 and 8 guy and good positional D.
we already have Kenny and Mikki:eek:

piksi

Hall of Famer
I think this may be a definite possibility. We aren't going to be able to trade Kenny Thomas. Let's not kid ourselves or anyone else. At this point, I think buying him out might be the smartest move they could make.

We are already paying someone not to coach us;)

Now we would have to pay another one not to play for us.

Sounds like Sacramento Knicks - god forbid

As for roster moves, I think we have a couple days at least to figure things out and/or make another trade. The Suns, to the extent of my knowledge, still haven't filled their mandatory 13th player spot left since the Shaq deal. I would imagine we have at least until the trade deadline to make another move (Artest is gone for sure I feel) and see how the roster shakes out then.

If we still end up with 17, I'm not so sure Jones goes. I think Lue or Johnson could easily go as well. Or, if we don't end up moving him in an Artest deal, a KT buyout. We'll see. But at least things got a lot more interesting!

piksi

Hall of Famer
If we still end up with 17, I'm not so sure Jones goes. I think Lue or Johnson could easily go as well. Or, if we don't end up moving him in an Artest deal, a KT buyout. We'll see. But at least things got a lot more interesting!
we have to keep one till the end of the season because we really don't need Cisco to play PG - EVER AGAIN

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey! Where were you when I was getting hammered for posting that a couple days ago? :p
I missed something? ACK!

I'm sorry. I would certainly have backed up your comments if I'd seen them. I am old, though, you know... and my eyesight is failing.

:p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I see NO reason whatsoever to keep Tyrone Lue. I'd rather see Justin Williams play point guard if it got that desperate.

If this is the only trade Petrie makes today, I'm honestly all for firing his ***. There was no way he could have gotten Childress or Williams?? this is bs.