Gasol traded to Lakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I must be about the only one who isn't that concerned about this. It took two future first-round draft picks to get the deal done. There's NO WAY anyone around here would have wanted to give up two picks and whatever else it might have taken to do the deal...
seeing how the Lakers will be on top of the league, those draft picks will simply be low first rounders

I guess I must be about the only one who isn't that concerned about this. It took two future first-round draft picks to get the deal done. There's NO WAY anyone around here would have wanted to give up two picks and whatever else it might have taken to do the deal...
I agree that there's no way we could (or should) have gotten this deal done if Memphis wanted picks. But I think I speak for a lot of fans who are horrified that the Lakers got a steal of a trade and are now definite contenders. I know we're not going to be contending for a while and so who cares from a Kings perspective, but I sure am not excited about the prospect of seeing the fairweather annoying-*** Lakers fans starting to come out of the workwork again.

but I sure am not excited about the prospect of seeing the fairweather annoying-*** Lakers fans starting to come out of the workwork again.
I think I am the only Kings license plate I see on the 405 every day. At least this is just the internet.

I do find it funny though that the lakers include Pau younger brother in the trade.

I think I am the only Kings license plate I see on the 405 every day. At least this is just the internet.

I do find it funny though that the lakers include Pau younger brother in the trade.
it would be funny if the Grizzles GM is laughing his butt off thinking he got away with a steal after including Marc.
"Expirings, draft picks, and the next coming of Pau Gasol! Booyakasha!"

A major coup for the Lakers. I'm skeptical that this is all Memphis get. I mean, no dumping Cardinals on the Lakers or taking Turiaf from them? I suspect the report is not complete.

At any rate, this does not make the Lakers automatic champ. They're a contender but there are major questions. Cite the stats all you want, but Gasol is not a good defender (though he tries). And I'm not sure how Gasol and Bynum coexist, they occupy the same space on the floor.

They're a good team on paper. I'm curious how they look in games.

A major coup for the Lakers. I'm skeptical that this is all Memphis get. I mean, no dumping Cardinals on the Lakers or taking Turiaf from them? I suspect the report is not complete.
Memphis is silly for not dumping Cardinal on the Lakers; I mean, consider how many of us want to attach Kenny Thomas's interminable contract in any trade with Ron Artest and/or Mike Bibby, and the Grizzlies essentially just traded their best player for the Lakers' worst player(s) while still holding on to Cardinal.

Well for what Memphis wants to do it is a good deal for them. They want to unload contracts so they have a flexible payroll that will be attractive towards potential buyers of the franchise. They got picks and a good young guard.
Not to mention that they will be players in the free agent market this offseason.

Well, we are going to have a Lakers vs. Celtics Finals this year. Wow, apparently Mitch was the real genius all along.
Wow...just wow...Kupchak should be arrested for highway robbery...well, if it makes you sick to see the Lakers winning NOW...wait until June...crap...the rich just keep getting richer...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You know, its too bad all this is happening in our division, and with the Lakers of all teams, because the strategist in me is looking at that Lakers team and saying...you know what? We might be able to complete them with Ron Artest at the SF in a Ron for Odom deal.

Why the hell would we do that? Just this: I think Ron is the better/perfect fit at SF than Odom now. He says he wants a title, and there would be an instant title contender if PJ could convince him to pay defense, exploit mismatches and otherwise stay out of the way. And for us Odom could be the perfect piece in a three way trade to try to either a) pry Nene from Denver with other pieces, or b) the biggee, pry Amare from the Suns with another running big (i.e Odom+Salmons etc. = Amare).

But with the Lakers in the division, the Suns in the division, the Lakers being the Lakers...sigh.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As horrible as it may sound, the idea that we could trade Ron AND pretty much throw the Western Division into a tizzy fit does have its appeal...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I read that their owner was planning on selling the team and this helps lube the process. Whoever buys it has flexibility in the FA market.
This is being kind to the Griz. This is the kind of idiocy that is possible in the NBA. One team can take advantage of another who has someone asleep at the controls.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Somebody, some day is going to have to explain to me why the Lakers are able to rebuild or just plain build and get better so easily while we struggle to hit 50 wins.

There is a factor at work that the Kings have absolutely no control over no matter how clever the strategy and that is the basic advantage a large market team with a HUGE and wonderful past has over small market teams.

How this trade occurred, I do not know. I also don't know why the Lakers have had the best centers of all time go sliding to them as if it is their birth right.

I'm not complaining about the Lakers. I just think there is something operating that screws us.

Somebody, some day is going to have to explain to me why the Lakers are able to rebuild or just plain build and get better so easily while we struggle to hit 50 wins.

There is a factor at work that the Kings have absolutely no control over no matter how clever the strategy and that is the basic advantage a large market team with a HUGE and wonderful past has over small market teams.

How this trade occurred, I do not know. I also don't know why the Lakers have had the best centers of all time go sliding to them as if it is their birth right.

I'm not complaining about the Lakers. I just think there is something operating that screws us.
Kobe.

It's really not complicated.

First off, Pau Gasol is not "one of the softest players in the league." One might say that about Brad Miller, but not Gasol
I don't know if you have noticed but Brad is averaging more rebounds this year than Gasol(not that that measures toughness) and I don't think you have ever heard a player question Brad's tougness. Gasol has been called out a few times.

Sorry but I've never been a fan of Gasol and while this makes the Lakers better I don't think it will work because Kobe can't seem to share the spotlight with anyone else. Short term fix but I think there will be long term problems.

And by the way....Chris Wallace ruined the Celtics and he's starting to do a great job with the Grizzlies. You wonder who some people keep getting hired?

It also cracks me up that everyone is saying how can Memphis do this on one hand while they are on this board saying we should be doing the same thing!!

And by the way....Chris Wallace ruined the Celtics and he's starting to do a great job with the Grizzlies. You wonder who some people keep getting hired?

It also cracks me up that everyone is saying how can Memphis do this on one hand while they are on this board saying we should be doing the same thing!!
Wait, Notorious B.I.G. is the GM of the Griz?

Well.... WOW.. We could have had Gasol for a couple #1s and some trash? YIKES.. Damn Petrie.. Why didn't you pull this off! :(

Entity

Hall of Famer
Well.... WOW.. We could have had Gasol for a couple #1s and some trash? YIKES.. Damn Petrie.. Why didn't you pull this off! :(

He is waiting for the big trade. LOL. seriously though someone said earlier this might push us to make a move now so that could be a good thing.

He is waiting for the big trade. LOL. seriously though someone said earlier this might push us to make a move now so that could be a good thing.
Hope so :)

I am REALLY curious to see how much better Gasol will play now. That was the knock on him when people would bring his name up in trade ideas.

My argument was that he was unhappy, and pretty much done (mentally) playing for the Grizzlies a long time ago. Turns out I was right on the first front about him wanting out of Memphis in a BAD way.

About Grizlies

Both Conley and Pau are injured. While Conley is recovering they can evaluate Critenton. They will have two draft picks next year (one lottery) and Marc Gasol who is having mvp season in Spain. He is also better defensively then his older brother. They got cap space next summer and additional draft pick in 2010. They can evaluate their youth till the end of the season and to see who they need to sign next year. Also they had better win/loss ratio without Pau so far this season. They need some perimeter defense badly, does anyone know is Crittenton any good in that area? They might go after Artest next summer.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, the LOS ANGELES LAKERS got him for a couple of #1s and "some trash," although I think Crittenden has a decent shot at a good future in front of him. Just because Kupchak was able to pull this off doesn't mean Petrie didn't make some calls.

I'm continually amazed by the apparent belief by some that other teams are obligated to trade with us if we make them an offer.

OK,

I think I found the silver lining. ;)

With Pau traded to Lakers, Parker injured in SA, West as strong as ever and deeper then most years, Kidd wanting out of NJ, aren't the stars lining up for us to make some serious moves? The rest of WC just saw Memphis go "number 2" on them by making LAL one of the favorites and they will have to make moves. Can we at least be 3rd team and try to move some of our deadwood or Precious to a team desperate to keep up with LAL? I would think that Dallas now needs Kidd more then ever, Phoenix is also a big loser anytime LAL is a big gainer.

I know I am getting desperate here, but I am at least trying to find some positives. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.