Martin now NBA's 2nd leading scorer! (title updated)

Martin is 4th leading scorer in NBA!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbascoring&league=nba&sort=pts&season=2008

and Salmons is the 23rd leading scorer, tied with Dirk. When Artest and Bibby come back and the additions of Hawes and Beno, we are a much deeper team then once thought. Once they get some chemisrty together, may still be good enough to win about 43 games and ge the 8th seed.

Bibby, Beno, Green(Douby and Garcia can also swing to this postion- PG
Martin, Garcia, Douby - SG
Artest, Salmons (Garcia also swings to this postion) - SF
Miller, Hawes - C
Moore, Thomas, Watkins, SAR - PF

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, give it a while. but i have no doubt martin will have another 21ppg season. its just that bibby and artest are gonna swallow alot of minutes. martin could keep up with doin 27ppg, but bibby and artest are gonna take their shots. but thats ok because their good shooters.

A

AriesMar27

yeah thats great while artest is out but once he comes back he will be taking minutes from salmons and garcia... as long as martin continues to be an efficient scorer he shouldnt have a problem maintaining his numbers but salmons got his numbers from playing major minutes... thats a good thing and a bad thing... its good because it shows that artest is expendable... but its bad because once artest gets back salmons wont be putting up 20+ ppg every game...

martin looks to have the thoughts we all wanted him to have last year. "im the number 1 option so im going to take the shots" and i hope that continues throughout the year.

i still think he can average 24+ when bibby and artest come back

If Kevin could keep his averages at 27 ppg, 4.5 boards, and 2.5 steals, he will have officially hit star status. Then all of a sudden, he's a complete bargain at 11 million per year.

I hope he can keep it up!

If there was anything that disparaged Kevin from the other bonafide scorers in day 1, it was his ability to get to the free throw line. From his rookie year to his role player year to his breakout year, he showed a definite knack/propensity to get to the free throw line, which he capitalizes on with his 85-90% free throw shooting. He's fearless, gutsy, lanky athletic, great with the body contortion and is a good decision maker when it comes to driving, that's for sure.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
really?...
Thanks, I'm not sure anyone knew that.:rolleyes:
Yeah its way early, but who gives a ****. Martin is ballin why not acknowledge it.

That's very similar to my reaction when I read this thread. Will Kevin be near the top by season's end? Who the heck knows...and who gives a rat's butt? Can I be thrilled, right now, that he is doing well and is helping my team. Hell yes!!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
its four games into the season!!!
really?...
Thanks, I'm not sure anyone knew that.:rolleyes:
Yeah its way early, but who gives a ****. Martin is ballin why not acknowledge it.

Yeeeeeah... that's totally an appropriate response to that particular comment. :rolleyes:

The next time I see somebody complain about getting "bullied" by negative comments, I'm going to cite this thread.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985

Yeeeeeah... that's totally an appropriate response to that particular comment. :rolleyes:

The next time I see somebody complain about getting "bullied" by negative comments, I'm going to cite this thread.

Bull! The bullying that goes on has nothing to do with the negative comments. It has everything to do with the condescending tones; the making fun of; and the downright meanness to those who hate all the damn negativity. It has run off entirely too many good people, and I am surprised that I am still hanging in there. Maybe it is because I have kept my mouth shut, and have, therefore, not been directly bullied.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

You're kidding, right? The initial comment was without any kind of supporting information/discussion that would have made it anything more than just a dig, IMHO.

The response was in the same vein.

And this, again IMHO, is NOTHING like the "bullying" some people have complained about.

So, could we just get back to the topic at hand and NOT have this dissolve into another positive vs. negative/glass half-full vs. glass empty with chipped edge debate?

The fact Kevin Martin is the 4th leading scorer in the NBA does seem like something we can be happy about, the "only 4 games" disclaimer not withstanding. I think we all know how many games the Kings have played.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Bull! The bullying that goes on has nothing to do with the negative comments. It has everything to do with the condescending tones; the making fun of; and the downright meanness to those who hate all the damn negativity...
And Merdiesel's comments weren't condescending or mean at all, right?

lets be real. we all love love the kings to death and want nothing more but for them to do the best. but this is a discussion forum and we are discussing one of the worst teams in the league. i watch every game and go to as many as i can too but theres something about sacramento fans. they are dillusional. kings are going to the playoffs!!... kevin martin is an all star!!.. i want both things to happen too but are we trading our wishful thoughts around here, or talking about real basketball?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
lets be real. we all love love the kings to death and want nothing more but for them to do the best. but this is a discussion forum and we are discussing one of the worst teams in the league. i watch every game and go to as many as i can too but theres something about sacramento fans. they are dillusional. kings are going to the playoffs!!... kevin martin is an all star!!.. i want both things to happen too but are we trading our wishful thoughts around here, or talking about real basketball?
Oh please...

You posted a snide comment. You could have elaborated but you chose not to. Hence, the response to your comment was made in the same vein.

Why shouldn't we at least acknowledge the job Kevin has done thus far? It shouldn't matter if it's only 4 games into the season. He's STILL doing an excellent job and it's worthy of discussion.

That's what this thread should be about. And calling someone who doesn't view the situation the same as you as "delusional" is inappropriate. They are entitled to voice their opinions the same as you.

We're well aware that it's a discussion forum, as you said above. Then why didn't you DISCUSS the topic instead of posting a drive-by insult?

Oh please...

You posted a snide comment. You could have elaborated but you chose not to. Hence, the response to your comment was made in the same vein.

Why shouldn't we at least acknowledge the job Kevin has done thus far? It shouldn't matter if it's only 4 games into the season. He's STILL doing an excellent job and it's worthy of discussion.

That's what this thread should be about. And calling someone who doesn't view the situation the same as you as "delusional" is inappropriate. They are entitled to voice their opinions the same as you.

We're well aware that it's a discussion forum, as you said above. Then why didn't you DISCUSS the topic instead of posting a drive-by insult?
see you at the playoffs

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985

And that discussion forum format lets me have my say. I will cheer for my team, simply because they are my team. I will have hope, because it is my right as a fan to choose to have hope or to look at the bleakness and respond with a, "oh woe is me." Just because I CHOOSE to be happy, and upbeat does not mean that the "so-called" realists have to make disparaging and demeaning remarks.

BTW, jon e, this is not directed at you, but is more of a general explanation of feelings around here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
see you at the playoffs
And this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

I didn't say anything about the playoffs. If you want to have a meaningful discussion, I'm more than game. But the sarcasm does nothing at all to further those discussions.

Come on. Discuss.

Do you really think Kevin hasn't earned some praise for doing as well as he has thus far, even if it is only 4 games?

If some of our members are overly enthusiastic about the team's chances, we can talk about that, too. But again - we can do it without the snide comments or sarcasm, IMHO. Neither of those help contribute to a meaningful ongoing discourse, do they?

And that discussion forum format lets me have my say. I will cheer for my team, simply because they are my team. I will have hope, because it is my right as a fan to choose to have hope or to look at the bleakness and respond with a, "oh woe is me." Just because I CHOOSE to be happy, and upbeat does not mean that the "so-called" realists have to make disparaging and demeaning remarks.

BTW, jon e, this is not directed at you, but is more of a general explanation of feelings around here.
hey i was at arco jumping out of my seat last night. i love this team. they are my life. i live and die with this team and i dont like dying. im dying right now. the same right that you have to be happy with this team, and express it, i have the same right to be upset with them. i dont think that because our 2 best players are out and martin is the only thing keeping us watchable by being the 4th best scorer in the league is anything to cheer about. a nice win streak is something, and i understand everyones desire to latch on to some positives but i like winning

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Do you really think Kevin hasn't earned some praise for doing as well as he has thus far, even if it is only 4 games?
Well, I won't speak for jon e, but I do, although I was (at first, anyway) going to keep it to myself. My general opinion of stats in the first week (indeed, the first month) of the season tend to resemble my feelings towards "power rankings," And when I see people making a big deal out of anything that happens in the first month, I tend to roll my eyes so hard that I have to take an ibuprofen.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hey i was at arco jumping out of my seat last night. i love this team. they are my life. i live and die with this team and i dont like dying. im dying right now. the same right that you have to be happy with this team, and express it, i have the same right to be upset with them. i dont think that because our 2 best players are out and martin is the only thing keeping us watchable by being the 4th best scorer in the league is anything to cheer about. a nice win streak is something, and i understand everyones desire to latch on to some positives but i like winning
Different people are satisfied with different levels of accomplishment. I think what 6th and I are saying is right now we're more grateful to see EFFORT on the court, especially considering the absence of Bibby and Artest. And the fact Kevin Martin is, so far at least, showing that he may well be worth the $55 million is a nice bonus.

A lot of times this forum seems to become about member vs. member, as though there can only be one side right and one side wrong. It doesn't need to be that way. When this thread started, it was about Kevin and his accomplishments. He's being talked about on KHTK, on the evening news and even some sports shows. That's a nice change for us - especially when compared to the items that had been getting us into the news.

You may not think having Martin being the #4 scorer in the league is worth cheering about, but a lot of people think otherwise.

It's all about perception.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985

You are absolutely correct, jon e. You have the same rights as I do. My only point is that throwing out one-liners and disparaging those who do choose (and yes, it really is a choice what attitude we take) to be happy for Kevin or anything else they can find positive about their team and its players is the wrong way to go.

I have never put down people with a different attitude or view than mine. I only ask for the same courtesy.