Garnett to the Celtics (merged)

piksi

Hall of Famer
Rondo is a good defender. Sure Tony would score significantly against him. But not as much as Pierce or Allen will against either Finley or Manu. Plus Bowen has got to be like 42 by now. No way he'll be able to stay in front of all-star wingplayers forever.

Like I said, pick your poison. Its as simple as that.

Other than KG none of the other "stars" can defend. Celtics have no bench whatsoever. They have no decent PG. These are Spurs that we are talking about here. And Pierce and Allen will play 50 games top.

Celtics to get Wolves' Garnett

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20029788/

Celtics to get Wolves' Garnett, sources say
Minnesota reportedly might get Jefferson, Telfair, Green, Ratliff in trade

BOSTON - Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told The Associated Press on Monday.

Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice.

The teams still had some things to clarify with the players’ contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves.

There was a chance that a conference call announcing the trade would be held Monday, the official said.

Garnett, 31, has spent all of his 12 NBA seasons with Minnesota. He would get an extension of his contract, which has one year plus an option year remaining, the official said.

The Celtics had tried to get Garnett late last month, but his agent said he didn’t want to go to Boston.

Since then, Boston acquired seven-time All-Star guard Ray Allen from Seattle in a draft day deal. Already with Paul Pierce, the Celtics would become instant contenders in the mediocre Atlantic Division with Garnett, even without promising forward Jefferson.

The Celtics obtained Allen and the 35th pick of th draft for guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak, and forward Jeff Green of Georgetown, whom they drafted with the fifth pick.

The Celtics have won just three playoff series during Pierce’s nine years with them. They still have an NBA-record 16 championships, but none since 1986.

“They have no excuses, this team out there,” Danny Ainge, the executive director of basketball operations, said after Allen was acquired.
Pierce, 29, led the Celtics in scoring last season but played only 47 games because of injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside, hasn;t been mentioned much, but this also continues the rapid rebalancing between the East and West this offseason. After a decade of crap in the East, in 6 weeks they've added Rashard Lewis, Ray Allen, Jason Richardson, Zach Randolph, and KG. Five 20 pt scorers/All-Stars.
Don't forget Smush Parker...

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I like the deal a lot less for Minnesota without Rondo included. Boston's looking to dump Telfair anyway, so it's hardly a loss for them. Green is expendable with Ray Allen on board and Jefferson gets swapped for KG, so it's a win all the way around for Boston. I can't believe they get to keep Rondo. Still, Minnesota can read the writing on the wall at this point. They're in salary cap hell for the forseeable future with all those stupid contracts McHale handed out. They're going nowhere with Garnett and he's not re-signing until they put together a respectable team. It's the same Catch-22 they've been stuck in for at least 5 years. Jefferson and Green is a decent return, both are young players with a lot of potential. Green can shoot the lights out and Jefferson is an ideal PF. Who knows if Telfair can actually put it together. Any draft picks are probably useless considering the team Boston has now. If Gomes is included too, than it's a pretty fair trade for Minnesota -- or at least the best they could have expected.

I suppose if you have a chance to put three All-Stars together you have to do it, just to avoid thinking "what-if" forever, but I'm not so sure this ends well for everyone. All it takes is an unlucky injury at the wrong time and you can scrap your season. We know all about that one. Or maybe a collection of bad foul calls in a critical deciding game. Who knows what can happen, it's far from certain that any team will go all the way and win it. Detroit didn't even make it to the Finals in their 64 win season. Dallas won 67 games and was eliminated in the first round this year. Every sportswriter is going to be predicting championship, every fan is going to be disappointed if they don't get it. Then the superstars start sniping at each other. Then someone makes a trade demand. It sure looks great on paper, but we'll see what actually happens.

Then again, if anyone can topple the Spurs, then it's totally worth it. It's not like the ref scandal is their fault, but they came out looking like a bunch of cheaters and thugs after that Phoenix series.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Other than KG none of the other "stars" can defend. Celtics have no bench whatsoever. They have no decent PG. These are Spurs that we are talking about here. And Pierce and Allen will play 50 games top.

Er...no.

Boston will walk on the floor as the more talented team 75+ times this season. Well, at least their starting 5 will. They may not win it all. But NOBODY is going to want to play that trio. Nobody. Nobody can defend all three. Two of them are ball handlers (KG/Pierce) so the lack of elite PG won't matter. One is a shooter (Allen) so he doesn't need the ball until its time to score. And the center is just there to do the dirty work. KG/Pierce/Allen > Duncan/Parker/Manu or even Nash/Amare/Marion. They may not win it all, but that's a monster they've just created.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And if, through some kind of strange happening, they managed to get Artest at the 3, things could get even more scary.

Man, They are desperate, on real gm, they had a trade scenario that had them trading gomes, green, jefferson, telfair, ratliff, 1st round pick, the mascot, the 2 hot dog vendors, the announcer, 3 boxes of red auerbach cigars, 1 of bill russell's arm's and a leprechan...no joke.

Danny Ainge is a freaking GENIUS!!!

He has gone from the sad sap that lost out on a top 2 lottery pick (you remember the picture) to this in approximately 2 months.

Danny Ainge for GM of the year!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Two Iron Men in their sport have one season of injury, and all of a sudden they're injury prone? I'm not buying that.

Prior to last year, Pierce had only missed a total of nineteen games in eight years. Granted, Allen has missed fifty-three in ten years, but nearly half of those came when he missed the first twenty-five games of 03-04 coming off ankle surgery, and pretty much played out the rest of the year. Sorry man, I'm selling on them both playing "50 games top."

This trade has been in the makings for a long time, even before the draft IMO. Both teams have been adding some solid youth but were still hamstrung by overpaid vets and stars who could not do it all by themselves. At some point, one side was going to decide to go for it all now, and the other to go young. Boston started it with the Allen trade, and now is going all out win now with KG. Makes sense for both sides, IMO.

Foye/Brewer/G.Green/Jefferson, with McCants and maybe Gomes off the bench, is a nice young core. Draft another big man and perhaps a true point, and finally the TPups are rebuilt. Start moving those crap contracts next year or two when they get closer to expiring, and then you have room to extend the kiddies.

I don't know how anybody could say any of these teams lost in this trade, lol. Min gets some great young pieces in Green and Jefferson who might be great, expring contracts in Ratife and Telife, and a draft pick. In a few years this team might become a great team, the next baby bulls for crying out loud. I love the lineup of Foye, Green, Brewer, Jefferson, Smith with McCants off the bench.

For boston if they don't make the finals in a weak east this will be a failure in may opinion. This team is a title contending team, better then any other team in the east. Add the Fact they kept Rondo and Perkins to round out their staring 5. And if they do not trade Gomes, Allen, and Powe they will have a good bench with the mle and vet min to complete it. Seriously this is a great trade for both teams.

You mean we couldn't have put together a better package than that? The deal is 100% official btw.
No the Kings could not put a deal like that togetter, lol. I really doubt that wolves who are rebuilding would take a some vets such as Bibby, Artest or Brad, the kings don't have the pieces. The only teams i could images doing such a trade with the Min would be Bulls, Boston, Char, and maybe Phx. They have the young pieces and the expring contracts to make it happen, lol.

Seriously other then Martin, what would the rebuilding Wolves want from the Kings that would be better then the Celtics deal? G.Green and Jefferson have the skill set to be very good to great players, add the expring contracts and the two future round draft picks I really don't see how the kings could beat that. And why would the kings need KG they themselves need to rebuild, there is no why they would win in the current West.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-celtics-garnetttrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

Part of the article:

Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told The Associated Press on Monday.

Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice.

The teams still had some things to clarify with the players' contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AriesMar27

what do the starting lineups look like for each team? i dont even know whos on either team anymore...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
what do the starting lineups look like for each team? i dont even know whos on either team anymore...
Boston is going to be:

C- K. Perkins
PF- K. Garnett (22.4pts 12.8reb 4.1ast, 10x All-Star)
SF- P. Pierce (25.0pts 5.9reb 4.1ast, 6x All-Star)
OG- R. Allen (26.4pts 4.5reb 4.1ast, 7x All Star)
PG- R. Rondo

Minnesota COULD be (since nobody seems quite sure who they are getting):

C- M. Blount (Age: 31)
PF- A. Jefferson (Age: 22)
SF- G. Green (Age: 21)
OG- C. Brewer (Age: 21)
PG- R. Foye (Age: 23)

For those suffering Kings fans who have not seen those beasties, Team 1 would be actually trying to "win now" by accumulating superior all-time talents. Team 2 would be trying to "rebuild" by acumulating piles of talented YOUNG players. Neither team appears to have opted for the wisdom of the "rebuild on the fly". Odd.

A

AriesMar27

Boston is going to be:

C- K. Perkins
PG- R. Rondo

For those suffering Kings fans who have not seen those beasties, Team 1 would be actually trying to "win now" by accumulating superior all-time talents. Team 2 would be trying to "rebuild" by acumulating piles of talented YOUNG players. Neither team appears to have opted for the wisdom of the "rebuild on the fly". Odd.
wow the wolves wouldnt be that bad of a team if they had a real pg...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Petrie works in mysterious ways ;)

Boston is going to be:

C- K. Perkins
PG- R. Rondo

Yeah but the kings dont have the assets to trade for guys like KG and they Definitely dont have the 10 time type all star to trade for a bunch of young players, Not a good comparison you just made IMO. I agree the kings shouldnt have tried to "rebuild on the fly" before if thats what your implying because thats why were in this mess but i think we arent in that bad of a situation...just gotta be patient because of the past mistakes by petrie/maloofs.

Petrie works in mysterious ways ;)
well, he's working on racking up more of those 'mid-level' contracts that he was just quoted as saying were so bad. hey, now we've got 3 guys at that price, and none of them are actually good enough to help is win or lose...we'll be right around 37 wins or so this year...YUCK! I'd rather win 27 and play a bunch of kids than 37 with a few kids and a bunch of old guys signed to contracts they shouldnt be getting from us. mediocrity is so nauseating...