Hype thread for Justin Williams

Entity

Hall of Famer
What is it about Justin do you like the best. I like the rebounding, and athletisim of course but, what i see the most that i noticed last year is his hands. The guy has great hands. he doesn't let the quick passes go through his hands. that is why he gets those easy dunks. Alot of players can't handle those hot passes and end up with nada. I think down the line it will be a great attribute much like the hands of C-webb.

What is it about Justin do you like the best. I like the rebounding, and athletisim of course but, what i see the most that i noticed last year is his hands. The guy has great hands. he doesn't let the quick passes go through his hands. that is why he gets those easy dunks. Alot of players can't handle those hot passes and end up with nada. I think down the line it will be a great attribute much like the hands of C-webb.
he tries. plain and simple.

my old boss told me a great quote his college football coach told him. "It's better to make a mistake running 100 mph, than it is to make a mistake just standing around." that's Justin, all the way. he may not grab every rebound, or block every shot, but he still tries to

lets give it up for caring

just curious... is there any word on if he's accepted our qualifying offer? i know he can't sign till wednesday, but he can at least accept it in principle, right?

I think he's a pretty good dunker... don't know if anyone else agrees wit me:confused:
That he is and instead of going up and getting the rebound and then being smushed and blocked when you come down and need to go back up, he goes up for the board and slams it in 1 motion. I hope he and Hawes get the playing time and we Miller, SAR, and K9 come off the bench if we still have them around that is.

he tries. plain and simple.

my old boss told me a great quote his college football coach told him. "It's better to make a mistake running 100 mph, than it is to make a mistake just standing around." that's Justin, all the way. he may not grab every rebound, or block every shot, but he still tries to

lets give it up for caring

just curious... is there any word on if he's accepted our qualifying offer? i know he can't sign till wednesday, but he can at least accept it in principle, right?
I suppose it will depend on how long Justin's agent wants him to wait for any other offers. Haven't heard of any so far.

Gary

All-Star
In the Summer league game JW was guarding Yi a lot... Yi had a pretty bad game VS. JW, and Hawes eh?

I can seriously see JW getting 25-30 minutes a night off the bench with our poor PF rotation. If JW gives me 8pts, 8rbs per game I will be a happy man.

Another note: OK, so JW can't shoot the ball very well. BUT, he has pretty good hands (for a catch and dunk), and offensive rebound and dunk. Even if he doesn't have a good offensive game I feel he can survive as a cleanup man on this team. We all know we need that type of player with the rebounding our team had last year.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I can seriously see JW getting 25-30 minutes a night off the bench with our poor PF rotation.
I'm afraid there's simply no chance of that happening. Last year, Brad averaged 28 minutes, Shareef averaged 25 minutes, and Kenny averaged 23 minutes. That's 76 minutes out of 96 frontcourt minutes per game. Assume Hawes gets only 15 minutes per game. That leaves 5 minutes for Justin, plus whatever he can eat away from the big Brad/Kenny/Shareef contracts - and that's likely to be a lot closer to 5 than 20-25.

Justin is a nice player off the bench, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. In his first 17 games last year, he only saw 10 minutes a total of four time. In the last nine games of the season he averaged 24 minutes, but we were no longer trying to win and Kenny was out for good. He did nicely in those games, but unless we have an injury to one of our top four (Brad, Spencer, Shareef, Kenny in no particular order) he's still the #5 guy in the frontcourt whether he deserves to be or not. I just don't see Kenny getting a whole lot of DNP-Coach's Decisions with 3 years and $24M left on his contract.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm afraid there's simply no chance of that happening. Last year, Brad averaged 28 minutes, Shareef averaged 25 minutes, and Kenny averaged 23 minutes. That's 76 minutes out of 96 frontcourt minutes per game. Assume Hawes gets only 15 minutes per game. That leaves 5 minutes for Justin, plus whatever he can eat away from the big Brad/Kenny/Shareef contracts - and that's likely to be a lot closer to 5 than 20-25.

Justin is a nice player off the bench, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. In his first 17 games last year, he only saw 10 minutes a total of four time. In the last nine games of the season he averaged 24 minutes, but we were no longer trying to win and Kenny was out for good. He did nicely in those games, but unless we have an injury to one of our top four (Brad, Spencer, Shareef, Kenny in no particular order) he's still the #5 guy in the frontcourt whether he deserves to be or not. I just don't see Kenny getting a whole lot of DNP-Coach's Decisions with 3 years and $24M left on his contract.
I seriously doubt if Reggie is going to follow Musselman's blueprint. As far as the existing players ahead of Williams go, they're either antiquated, useless or rapidly approaching wheelchair status. I think Theus is going to have the green light to play the kids regardless of how much accumulated money and experience it sends to the bench.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I seriously doubt if Reggie is going to follow Musselman's blueprint. As far as the existing players ahead of Williams go, they're either antiquated, useless or rapidly approaching wheelchair status. I think Theus is going to have the green light to play the kids regardless of how much accumulated money and experience it sends to the bench.
I'm not sure about that simply because any such move instantly makes that player completely unmoveable, even if he wasn't already.

Got to get those bodies out of town, somehow, someway. Its the key to future free agency hopes, and the key to PT for the kids.

i liked his dunking also and his athleticism, nice speed too for a guy his size, i disliked his defense needs improvement could be cause he's undersized, but he needs to hit the weights asap!

Aside from his hustle and obvious passion, on the defensive side, JW seems to have a natural ability to be in the right place at the right time.I would love to see some of the vets benched more. Maybe they would get the idea that they have something to prove.

The thought of Brad playing QB for 15 minutes a game with a pack of fast moving kids doesn't bother me at all - except for the money. But that's a write off anyway.

I think he's a pretty good dunker... don't know if anyone else agrees wit me:confused:
Heck yeah, that's the first thing on my list... I love seeing a King hanging on the hoop. I wouldn't even care if he picked up the occasional T that way.

Other things: all the ways he is NOT like what's bugged us about players on this team in recent years.

He's not soft, weak on D, a bad rebounder, a flopper, lacking an inside game, disinterested, a PR liability, unathletic, bad for morale, shrimpy, frequently injured, etc. He doesn't have a remarkably weird or bad marriage. He even shows some leadership skills. If he were 3" taller, he'd be perfect, but some other team would have swooped him up.

OK, so he can't shoot free throws. I don't really care.

Last edited:
I enjoyed seeing him batter the rim on his dunks almost looked like he wanted to bring it down lol.

And hearing him communicate on defense to his teamates and such.

Heck yeah, that's the first thing on my list... I love seeing a King hanging on the hoop. I wouldn't even care if he picked up the occasional T that way.

Other things: all the ways he is NOT like what's bugged us about players on this team in recent years.

He's not soft, weak on D, a bad rebounder, a flopper, lacking an inside game, disinterested, a PR liability, unathletic, bad for morale, shrimpy, frequently injured, etc. He doesn't have a remarkably weird or bad marriage. He even shows some leadership skills. If he were 3" taller, he'd be perfect, but some other team would have swooped him up.

OK, so he can't shoot free throws. I don't really care.
THE PERFECT SUMMARIZATION

I'm not sure about that simply because any such move instantly makes that player completely unmoveable, even if he wasn't already.

Got to get those bodies out of town, somehow, someway. Its the key to future free agency hopes, and the key to PT for the kids.
For KT we don't need to worry about a thing. If I have not mistaken he has a player option after 07-08 season. Therefore, all kings have to do is not give him any minutes this season and what do you know KT will dying to get out of his contract!!

Justin's very athletic, he plays hard, and he's got a knack for rebounds and blocked shots.

Justin was accused of having a poor basketball IQ when he was in camp last year and while he was in the development league. But since he signed with (returned to) the Kings last year, I've seen nothing but potential.

Sure hope he can become a decent FT shooter, though.

L

Lafayette

They need to resign J-Will, he's a good player. Ronnie Price is good but I don't know if they need him again. They need to go big so get JW.

For KT we don't need to worry about a thing. If I have not mistaken he has a player option after 07-08 season. Therefore, all kings have to do is not give him any minutes this season and what do you know KT will dying to get out of his contract!!

If it were only that easy... This theory holds true for young, talented players. For someone of KT's age and talent level, I think the guaranteed money is far more important than playing time. I could be wrong, but at this stage of his career, I don't see him opting out for more court time.

Unless of course, he pulls a Karl Malone/Grant Hill and tries to ride the coattails of a contender to another ring. Let's hope he does...

Just don't touch the basketball on offense unless you are rebounding the ball or dunking it. Otherwise stay out of the way.

Everyone here tends to way overrate this guy as he is a complete liability on the offensive end and will probably be only able to stay on the court 10-15 minutes a game because of it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just don't touch the basketball on offense unless you are rebounding the ball or dunking it. Otherwise stay out of the way.

Everyone here tends to way overrate this guy as he is a complete liability on the offensive end and will probably be only able to stay on the court 10-15 minutes a game because of it.
No, everyone here is showing some enthusiasm for a kid who is giving us a reason to at least smile. It's summer league. No one is proposing we build a statue of Justin, although I have to admit I would like it much better than the giant gold 6.

AFAIC this is pretty much just a little "rah rah" thread. No harm, no foul.

And having said that, what do you expect from Williams? He wasn't a top draft pick, he bounced around a bit in the NBDL before we re-signed him, and he's breathing and able to run the court. He has, as I pointed out, heart, hustle and hunger. We could - AND HAVE - done a lot worse.

People have been screaming for someone who could rebound and go vertical. Williams can do that. Now it's not enough and he has to be our premiere offensive threat, too?

Geez.

:rolleyes:

Hmmm. His FG percentage is 61.4%, which is more than 13 points higher than the 2nd place King... everyone else shoots 38.1%-48.2%. His turnovers per minute of PT are the lowest on the team, and his offensive rebounds per minute are much higher than anyone else on the team. I'm really short on sleep today, so I may be overlooking something, but I have a hard time figuring out how he's an offensive liability. Assists and FT% that are comparable to Scot Pollard or Brendan Haywood? Is that enough to make someone an offensive liability?