Justin Williams

Can he gain about 50 pounds and grow about 3 inches this summer?

For a center, he's pretty petite.
I agree, but with frame I wouldn't count on it. I see him more of a quicker/athletic and wirey PF then a bulking typical Center, but then again today's Center isn't what it used to be and small ball is all the rave especially here in Kingsland...we even go to the extent of playing Corliss at 6'6" at Center in spots so I think Williams is actually just right. I would like if he was a legit 7 footer with more size like Bynum or especially a Dwight Howard, but that just isn't going to happen. ;)

I agree, but with frame I wouldn't count on it. I see him more of a quicker/athletic and wirey PF then a bulking typical Center, but then again today's Center isn't what it used to be and small ball is all the rave especially here in Kingsland...we even go to the extent of playing Corliss at 6'6" at Center in spots so I think Williams is actually just right. I would like if he was a legit 7 footer with more size like Bynum or especially a Dwight Howard, but that just isn't going to happen. ;)

Sorry for the echo post, I had a internet connection problem. ;)

Last edited:

That isn't going to happen on that frame of him. Like KMart...he is built around being quick and athletic not stout and strong like Ron. I see him more as a athletic/quick PF then a bulky Center, but then again with us playing Corliss at Center from time to time at 6'6", Justin is tall!!! :rolleyes:

Maybe that's a good thing that he had 5 fouls! That means that someone on this team is actually using his fouls...Most of our guys just let other teams drive through the lane for layups without even touching them, hence not using any of their fouls.
You have 6 fouls...use them wisely grasshopper, but use them!!!! Good job JWill2!!! He isn't afraid to use them and needed to no doubt against some very aggressive and athletic big men on 1 team in Camby and Nene. Also with a soft server Miller around and Bibby as porous a dam with it's gates wide open....he no doubt had to step up which it sounds like he did. Career game for the kid!!!! :)

gunks

Hall of Famer
Just want to get in on the Williams lovefest....

I was not at all surprised to see him get 13 rebs in 23 minutes. Kids got hustle and skills in the rebounding department...Which is exactly what this team needs! Not to mention his shotblocking skills. He shoulda had about 3 blocks and 3 fouls that game...Not 1 block and 5 fouls...Ah well.

Heres to hoping we resign Justin and he gets all of our frontcourt scrubs (SAR, Miller, KT) minutes!

That isn't going to happen on that frame of him. Like KMart...he is built around being quick and athletic not stout and strong like Ron. I see him more as a athletic/quick PF then a bulky Center, but then again with us playing Corliss at Center from time to time at 6'6", Justin is tall!!! :rolleyes:
And not everything is height, since you don't handle a basketball with the top of your head. Vertical reach is a much better measure, and Justin does quite well in that regard. Of all the guys who showed up for predraft measurements last year, only 3 guys had a better standing reach: LaMarcus Aldridge, Saer Sene, and Patrick O'Bryant. Justin's reach was 9'1", the same as 7'2" Frans Steyn. Without a step first, Steyn jumped 2" higher than Justin, but with a step Justin jumped 2" higher than Steyn. So even though Justin is only 6'7.25" in stocking feet, you can say he's got as much vertical ability as a 7'2" C. He's just a big guy in a compact package. :)

Maybe that's a good thing that he had 5 fouls! That means that someone on this team is actually using his fouls...Most of our guys just let other teams drive through the lane for layups without even touching them, hence not using any of their fouls.

Good point- but within a span of just 20 minutes?? What if Muss wanted to give him more PT, but his fouls kept from staying on the floor? I'm OK w/ the fouls, but not w/ such few minutes..

It's unfortunate that he's over 6'7" because that means Muss will definitely want to keep this guy on the bench. ;)

Seriously though, I'm kind of excited about this guy. He looks lost as they can get out there, but he's got the physical attributes to be a real game changer.

Do I get to say I told you so yet? Or maybe I will wait a little bit longer. Justin Williams needs PT to develope what is clearly a needed talent on the Kings. I am outraged this silly run for the playoffs has actually hindered him and Price, not to mention lowered our draft pick. Watching Williams play in a loss was more exciting than most wins with the uninspired vets. Which is what I have been saying all along - ouch, hurt my arm patting myself on the back there.Here is to Price and Williams starting the next game!

Last edited:
Shoot.. Last year I was wanting to get a 2nd round pick and get this guy.. Glad we have him. Still don't understand why Muss doesn't play him.. He does what we lack.. I can see him playing along side of Brad. Williams would be a hell of a lot better for the team right now than KT, or SAR. I sm not dutr ehy Williams doesn't get PT though. Kinda makes me mad.

Yeah, the minute the draft was over I, too, was hoping we'd get him. As long as the rest of you are patting yourselves on the back, I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon.

Email to the Kings, 7/7/06
Hi! Been a fan since the team moved to Sac, and an active participant in Kings online discussion boards for several years.

I've been quiet all this time, but after lengthy discussion with a large number of fans, I have something which I have to say.

Sign Justin Williams already, before someone else does! Miami and Boston already signed their undrafted favorites, why can't we?

We were looking at him before the draft, hoping that he wouldn't get drafted. We were absolutely elated when he ended up on the TVSL team. He is exactly what the fans want to see on the roster, and opportunities like him are all too rare.

Please, please, pretty please, pass this email along to the appropriate party. The guy will be worth his contract in fan appreciation alone!

Thanks,

gunks

Hall of Famer
Yep....Although, even Muss cant find an excuse to not play Williams after his 13 rebound game. I expect him to get at least 15 minutes tomorrow if not more.

Its either that or we get to watch Miller and SAR get embarassed in the paint like the last time we played the Jazz.

well...maybe not KT, but its not like we'll have to worry about THAT for the rest of this season, at least...but everyone else, though. hell, if Potato gets in and plays more than 5 minutes without passing out because of being a fat azz, even he deserves an 'any questions' for THAT accomplishment.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
It's pretty clear how Justin can get minutes and it involves Big Nasty.

Justin barely hit the floor when Kenny Thomas and Brad Miller were out. You would think that would be when Justin would play the most but no. However when Kenny and Corliss are out Muss has no choice but to play Justin. Very sad but true. So here's hoping Big Nasty calls it a season! :confused:

gunks

Hall of Famer

Justin barely hit the floor when Kenny Thomas and Brad Miller were out. You would think that would be when Justin would play the most but no. However when Kenny and Corliss are out Muss has no choice but to play Justin. Very sad but true. So here's hoping Big Nasty calls it a season! :confused:
Yep yep. Corliss is pretty much guarunteed scoring at a good percentage. So you cant blame Muss for playing him.

But Muss should play him and Justin at the same time though. Dont know why he doesnt, he's played every other conceivable combination of players.

Its not like he'd be giving up interior offense OR defense with Brad and SAR on the bench at the same time. Those two are on the bus to scrubsville.

He's the only guy who can rebound above the rim for the Kings and his blocking skill is a court presence. Question: Now someone teach him how to do a sky hook, half hook, jump hook, running hook, hook shot, Z-Bo's drop step hook, Duncan's wrong hand hook and he'll be the man on the team. Also work on nothing but footwork this offseason.

He's the only guy who can rebound above the rim for the Kings and his blocking skill is a court presence. Question: Now someone teach him how to do a sky hook, half hook, jump hook, running hook, hook shot, Z-Bo's drop step hook, Duncan's wrong hand hook and he'll be the man on the team. Also work on nothing but footwork this offseason.
do we even have someone on our staff that could develop a big man?

Since this season is officially dead, I think Muss can finally play the young guys. I just hope that he doesn't think the team still has a chance at making the playoffs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yep yep. Corliss is pretty much guarunteed scoring at a good percentage. So you cant blame Muss for playing him.

But Muss should play him and Justin at the same time though. Dont know why he doesnt, he's played every other conceivable combination of players.

Its not like he'd be giving up interior offense OR defense with Brad and SAR on the bench at the same time. Those two are on the bus to scrubsville.
Corliss hasn't been available in the games since Musselman realized Justin Williams is actually part of the Kings...

;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Since this season is officially dead, I think Muss can finally play the young guys. I just hope that he doesn't think the team still has a chance at making the playoffs.
I just hope he doesn't play it like he does the games, and try to make it look "close" at the end long after we've lost.

I just hope he doesn't play it like he does the games, and try to make it look "close" at the end long after we've lost.
What? Him playing the starters till the last couple minutes and then playing the young guys. Or him playing the young guys for a minute here - yank, a minute after two quarters and another yank?

What? Him playing the starters till the last couple minutes and then playing the young guys. Or him playing the young guys for a minute here - yank, a minute after two quarters and another yank?
I would say more like time outs with 20 seconds left when Kings are 8 points behind.

Shoot.. Last year I was wanting to get a 2nd round pick and get this guy.. Glad we have him. Still don't understand why Muss doesn't play him.. He does what we lack.. I can see him playing along side of Brad. Williams would be a hell of a lot better for the team right now than KT, or SAR. I sm not dutr ehy Williams doesn't get PT though. Kinda makes me mad.
Are you a sad panda Gary??? :D

Yeah, Williams would definately make Miller look better and let him keep doing what he does best....passing, shooting, and setting some great picks....you know what a normal 7 foot Center does...not!!! :rolleyes:

There should absolutely be no reason that Justin looses playing time to Corliss, just another 1 of Muss's boneheaded reasoning and probably 1 of his biggest blunders!!!!

I wasn't on the tank bandwagon, but with us obviously heading that way and having no chance to make it into the playoffs as the 8th seed and be embarrased by the Mavs or Suns....we have absolutely no reason to not play Williams....also Price and Douby and Cisco. The lineup should be:

Price/Salmons/Douby
KMart/Salmons/Cisco
Artest/Cisco
Williams/SAR/Corliss
Miller/Williams/SAR

Muss would just assume play Corliss who is 6' 6" at the 4 or 5. I love the guys heart and all, but come on already. You have a young kid that has beaten the odds, is very good at what you need, the season is over, the fans want to see him...but you still don't play him. :rolleyes: