Artest retirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One further note. When a player retires, there are some salary cap ramifications.

53. How do retired players count against the cap?

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player has retired. For example, James Worthy retired in 1994, two years before his contract ended. He continued to receive his salary for the 1994-95 and 1995-96 seasons, so his salary was included in the Lakers' team salary in those seasons. It is at the team's discretion (or as the result of an agreement between the team and player) whether to continue to pay the player after he has retired.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). This provision can also be used when a player dies while under contract.

Teams are not allowed to trade for disabled players and then apply for this salary cap relief. Only the team for which the player was playing when he was disabled may request this relief.

If a player retires, even for medical reasons, his team does not receive a salary cap exception to acquire a replacement player.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#53

That would be the only thing I'd be concerned about. It does say any payments after retirement are at the discretion of the team, and I really cannot imagine the Kings paying Artest after he's gone.

Oh, you cannot be serious.

So it's a jerk thing to do if a player considers retiring to try and save his family but it's okay for a team to trade a player out of nowhere, totally disrupting his family, etc?

Both acts are part of the business and if Ron Artest decides to retire, I'm pretty sure the organization will totally understand. It's the same as them expecting a player and his family to understand when he's suddenly picked up and moved across the country.

Consideration for the Kings? That's just silly.
Sensible words, VF.

One further note. When a player retires, there are some salary cap ramifications.

That would be the only thing I'd be concerned about. It does say any payments after retirement are at the discretion of the team, and I really cannot imagine the Kings paying Artest after he's gone.
Or like when we were stuck with Ralph Sampson and his contract after he was long gone. That took 3 years to recover from, among other things...thanks Bill.:D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Reality check.

We're talking about a game; entertainment.

Ron Artest, with all his problems, may well be considering retiring from the game to try and keep his family together.

It's about his life, not his trade value.
Same guy who decided to spend half the summer on a road trip playing rap star right?

My suggestion to Ron: grow up. Do more wonders for your family issues than all the time in the world spent with them without a clue.

You know, the thing that is extra silly about this is that NBA players probably have MORE time to sepnd wiht their families than the average 9-5 Joe. Think about it. Over the course of an NBA season they play 41 road games. Ignoring for a moment that a hnadul of those are just little pond jumps down to L.A. or Oakland or whatever, you figure the bakc to backs and extra days balance out and you end up with 80-90 days on the road (mayhap closer to 90 if yoiu add in a couple of preseason road games). That's quite a bit. Now here is what it is balanced against: a 4-5 month summer vacation, with absolutely no responsibilities whatsoever. During homestands, one 2-3 hour practice or game a day, + whatever prep time is needed. And then the rest of the day/time is yours to spend how you please. And that is spending it how you please with all the money you will ever need to go anywhere and do anything with and for your family you would like to. Frankly, I don't want to hear it. People in my profession have problems balancing work with family. A New York lawyer can easily put in 3000+ hours in a year, and the zanies over at Wachtell are notorious for pushing it up to 4000 (and that's billable -- unbilled time at work + commute can add another 1000 easy...you will note there are only 365x24=8760 hours in a year). I really don't want to hear how a professional ball bouncer can't find any other way to balance those oh so strenuous 3 hour workdays for 1/2 of every year while earning millions of dollars with his family life. If you can't pull that off, you simply can't pull it off period.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't agree, Bricklayer. I don't think very many New York lawyers put up with what traveling professional athletes encounter. The tales of groupies are beyond legendary...

Regardless, I tend to believe Ron may, in fact, be trying to do whatever he thinks will help save his family. And telling him to grow up is like telling a pig to sprout wings. Ron is who he is... we aren't going to change that with tough talk.

I don't agree, Bricklayer. I don't think very many New York lawyers put up with what traveling professional athletes encounter. The tales of groupies are beyond legendary...

Wait a tick... are you saying that New York lawyers don't have groupies? I find that very hard to believe.

Same guy who decided to spend half the summer on a road trip playing rap star right?

My suggestion to Ron: grow up. Do more wonders for your family issues than all the time in the world spent with them without a clue.

You know, the thing that is extra silly about this is that NBA players probably have MORE time to sepnd wiht their families than the average 9-5 Joe. Think about it. Over the course of an NBA season they play 41 road games. Ignoring for a moment that a hnadul of those are just little pond jumps down to L.A. or Oakland or whatever, you figure the bakc to backs and extra days balance out and you end up with 80-90 days on the road (mayhap closer to 90 if yoiu add in a couple of preseason road games). That's quite a bit. Now here is what it is balanced against: a 4-5 month summer vacation, with absolutely no responsibilities whatsoever. During homestands, one 2-3 hour practice or game a day, + whatever prep time is needed. And then the rest of the day/time is yours to spend how you please. And that is spending it how you please with all the money you will ever need to go anywhere and do anything with and for your family you would like to. Frankly, I don't want to hear it. People in my profession have problems balancing work with family. A New York lawyer can easily put in 3000+ hours in a year, and the zanies over at Wachtell are notorious for pushing it up to 4000 (and that's billable -- unbilled time at work + commute can add another 1000 easy...you will note there are only 365x24=8760 hours in a year). I really don't want to hear how a professional ball bouncer can't find any other way to balance those oh so strenuous 3 hour workdays for 1/2 of every year while earning millions of dollars with his family life. If you can't pull that off, you simply can't pull it off period.
Spot on, dude. I used to buy into this BS, then I graduated and got a real job. If these guys want to see what lack of family time is they should join the military, where you work overtime just because that's what it takes to get the job done, without making time and a half or any of that. Even accounting for travel time, are we even sure they spend more time on the road than your average executive? In today's global economy people are constantly intersecting the planet, snatching family time when they get the chance.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You're missing the point, Venom. I never said it was about the amount of time they're away from their families. It's about what happens while they're away, I suspect, more than how long they're gone.

And none of us know what it's like to be in their shoes.

Bottom line is if Ron Artest feels he needs to walk away from the GAME of basketball to devote himself to his family, more power to him.

So wait-Ron retires and we still don't get any cap room?

Man we need to trade him before he keeps messing with us if he doesn't retire.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So wait-Ron retires and we still don't get any cap room?

Man we need to trade him before he keeps messing with us if he doesn't retire.
...sigh...

Read it again. We get cap relief UNLESS the team agrees to pay him after he's retired. In that case, any monies paid to him are included as part of our salary for the season...

And we can't trade him now. We can't do anything now.

Oh ok thanks I missed that part. If he retired though we would probably have money to sign a new, not quite so crazy, SF. That would be fine with me as both Gerald Wallace and Rashard Lewis are FAs this summer.

I feel sorry that it might come to retirement for him. But if he does retire for his family that's his decision and hopefully it clears up whatever problems they've been having. If he retires I'll wish him the best of luck I guess.

I have a hard time seeing him let go of the game he's known for the last 15 years of his life though. I think in 1-2 years he would be back in the NBA honestly.

Reality check.

We're talking about a game; entertainment.

Ron Artest, with all his problems, may well be considering retiring from the game to try and keep his family together.

It's about his life, not his trade value.
hello? i'm talking about the kings BASKETBALL here. when he signed a contract to play x amount of years and gets paid ridiculous amounts, he should be held accountable. it's not like his age/health is affecting him. does he need to say this to the public? no. he should address it to petrie and the maloofs. he always has soemthing like this to say in the public which i can't stand. btw, its my opinion based on basketball not his personal life.
:rolleyes:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hello? i'm talking about the kings BASKETBALL here. when he signed a contract to play x amount of years and gets paid ridiculous amounts, he should be held accountable. it's not like his age/health is affecting him. does he need to say this to the public? no. he should address it to petrie and the maloofs. he always has soemthing like this to say in the public which i can't stand. btw, its my opinion based on basketball not his personal life.
:rolleyes:
And if he walks away from the GAME of basketball, he gives up those ridiculous amounts of money. And if he walks away from the GAME to try and save his family, that's his business. He made a comment to a writer. It was Ron being as honest as Ron Artest can be. People are acting like his job is more important than his family. That's just sad, IMHO... life is about a lot more than the game of basketball, and this is coming from someone who has been a rabid fan of the game for many years.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You're missing the point, Venom. I never said it was about the amount of time they're away from their families. It's about what happens while they're away, I suspect, more than how long they're gone.

And none of us know what it's like to be in their shoes.

Bottom line is if Ron Artest feels he needs to walk away from the GAME of basketball to devote himself to his family, more power to him.
And see, I think that's just enabling yet more irresponsibility. There are about 400 players int eh NBA who somehow get by without doing that (probably closer to 200 married ones). There are probably about another 50 million Americans who make it work without retiring at 28. Its jsut B.S. An excuse. Running away, again. The "Tru Warior" has this nasty tendency when the going gets tough, he cuts and runs. Have a tough year, hey, just quit. He's just a child, and there is absolutely no reason to enable said child and allow him to redefine everybody else's reality jsut because he invokes the holy "family" excuse. Having a family has never, for anyone not named Ron, involved having to quit your job and be unemployed 24/7 before 30.

P.S. and the entirely speclative groupies thing isn't cutting either, anymore than it did with Doug's psycho wife. Until/unless said groupies start tackling NBA players in the hallways and ravishing them against their wills, that's just a very weak excuse, and not even one that the Mrs. in this case has raised so far as I know.

P.P.S. why do I get the feeling this probably isn't the first time conversations like this have been had about how to deal wiht Ron Artest? The gift that keeps on giving. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's not about anyone else. It's about what might be right for Ron Artest and his family. If it ends up that he decides it's best for him to retire, it's his choice. That's a matter for him and his family. Considering the present situation, I think he might actually be trying. None of us know for sure.

And the groupie thing isn't speculative. It's a fact. I'm not saying the players are being forced against their will. I'm saying there are a lot of temptations on the road and that, for whatever reason, a number of players succumb to the temptation.

Regardless, you and I could argue forever without ever coming to an agreement - or the truth of the matter. Artest will do what he chooses to do. I'm going to hope that it's the right choice for the right reason.

And if he walks away from the GAME of basketball, he gives up those ridiculous amounts of money. And if he walks away from the GAME to try and save his family, that's his business.

GOOD for him. If he walks away, i'll gladly open the door for him. Just don't come crawling back for a second chance AFTER you have deteriorated your VALUE for the kings team. How are we supposed to trade this headcase to another team if he is telling ppl he wants to retire? WHAT IF HE DOESN'T EVEN WANT TO RETIRE? this guy is a FREAKING IDIOT. I would show empathy if this was his first time coming out to the media and saying something like this but it isn't. THIS IS THE SAME GUY THAT SAID HE WANTS TO TAKE SOME TIME OFF TO DO HIS RAP ALBUM.

He made a comment to a writer. It was Ron being as honest as Ron Artest can be.

he needs to address it with his employers and the GM instead of speaking to the media.

People are acting like his job is more important than his family.

he's getting paid millions to be a PROFESSIONAL. the LEAST he can do is work something out w/ the maloofs about possibly some time off for personal reasons. i'm sure the maloofs aren't going to make a big deal of it since we're going no where this season anyways.

That's just sad, IMHO... life is about a lot more than the game of basketball, and this is coming from someone who has been a rabid fan of the game for many years.

hes not the only one in the world that has issues... i don't see kobe talking about retirement after running into tough times. :rolleyes:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF21 said:
And if he walks away from the GAME of basketball, he gives up those ridiculous amounts of money. And if he walks away from the GAME to try and save his family, that's his business.
KMart23 said:
GOOD for him. If he walks away, i'll gladly open the door for him. Just don't come crawling back for a second chance AFTER you have deteriorated your VALUE for the kings team. How are we supposed to trade this headcase to another team if he is telling ppl he wants to retire? WHAT IF HE DOESN'T EVEN WANT TO RETIRE? this guy is a FREAKING IDIOT. I would show empathy if this was his first time coming out to the media and saying something like this but it isn't. THIS IS THE SAME GUY THAT SAID HE WANTS TO TAKE SOME TIME OFF TO DO HIS RAP ALBUM.
VF21 said:
He made a comment to a writer. It was Ron being as honest as Ron Artest can be.
KMart23 said:
he needs to address it with his employers and the GM instead of speaking to the media.
VF21 said:
People are acting like his job is more important than his family.
KMart23 said:
he's getting paid millions to be a PROFESSIONAL. the LEAST he can do is work something out w/ the maloofs about possibly some time off for personal reasons. i'm sure the maloofs aren't going to make a big deal of it since we're going no where this season anyways.
VF21 said:
That's just sad, IMHO... life is about a lot more than the game of basketball, and this is coming from someone who has been a rabid fan of the game for many years.
KMart23 said:
hes not the only one in the world that has issues... i don't see kobe talking about retirement after running into tough times. :rolleyes:
You do realize if he walks away there's every likelihood the salary we would have owed him simply comes off the books, right? He's no longer our problem unless the Kings decide to pay him something as a kind of settlement, in which case that amount would count against the cap.

This could be a win-win situation. We wouldn't have to worry about the ticking any longer AND he wouldn't be facing us on another team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've heard that it's true he's considering retirement. (Considering being the ultimately important word in that sentence...) I think that's all anyone knows for sure, especially since it's Ron Artest we're talking about.

What I think people aren't really addressing is that this could end up being the best possible solution to the Artest problem...

You do realize if he walks away there's every likelihood the salary we would have owed him simply comes off the books, right? He's no longer our problem unless the Kings decide to pay him something as a kind of settlement, in which case that amount would count against the cap.

This could be a win-win situation. We wouldn't have to worry about the ticking any longer AND he wouldn't be facing us on another team.

Honestly that sounds great to me. With Corliss and the other guys coming off the cap we are going to be right at or a little bit below the salary cap, so taking Ron's 8 million off the books could give us the room to sign another SF who would fit the direction of our team a little better(like Gerald Wallace). It would give us a lot of flexibility and like you said we wouldn't be trading him so we're not creating a team that could end up killing us 4 times a season(like if he went to 1 of the LA teams, or the Mavs/Spurs, etc.). The lockerroom distraction that is Ron Artest would be gone.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Honestly that sounds great to me. With Corliss and the other guys coming off the cap we are going to be right at or a little bit below the salary cap, so taking Ron's 8 million off the books could give us the room to sign another SF who would fit the direction of our team a little better(like Gerald Wallace). It would give us a lot of flexibility and like you said we wouldn't be trading him so we're not creating a team that could end up killing us 4 times a season(like if he went to 1 of the LA teams, or the Mavs/Spurs, etc.). The lockerroom distraction that is Ron Artest would be gone.
That's what I'm thinking. Let him retire, go solve his problems or not, and then - in a couple of years when he decides he wants to return to the NBA, let him be some other team's problem.

Oh, you cannot be serious.

So it's a jerk thing to do if a player considers retiring to try and save his family but it's okay for a team to trade a player out of nowhere, totally disrupting his family, etc?

Both acts are part of the business and if Ron Artest decides to retire, I'm pretty sure the organization will totally understand. It's the same as them expecting a player and his family to understand when he's suddenly picked up and moved across the country.

Consideration for the Kings? That's just silly.
no, that's not what i meant. I'm saying if it's just a fleeting thought it was a jerk thing to do to talk about it. If he's serious then that's fine, but if it's just something that crossed his mind he should keep it to himself. actually now that i think about it some more he shouldn't even say anything until he's ready to officially leave the game, imo he has every right to quit if he wanted to it's his life. however, what's the piont in saying it publicly if he isn't positive about retiring? whether he means to or not he's screwing the kings over if he doesn't intend on retiring.

Last edited:
VF21 said:
I've heard that it's true he's considering retirement. (Considering being the ultimately important word in that sentence...) I think that's all anyone knows for sure, especially since it's Ron Artest we're talking about.

What I think people aren't really addressing is that this could end up being the best possible solution to the Artest problem...
If Artest stays away from basketball for 1-2 years then what does the management do? as much as Ron is a headache i'm not sure how you can replace a talent like him unless the Kings are gonna let this roster afloat next year.

we need to really look at Gerald Wallace he is basically a Ron Artest.

If Artest stays away from basketball for 1-2 years then what does the management do? as much as Ron is a headache i'm not sure how you can replace a talent like him unless the Kings are gonna let this roster afloat next year.​

we need to really look at Gerald Wallace he is basically a Ron Artest.​
Oh no, what will we do if we're not competing for the 8th seed again next year, I think I'll slit my wrists :rolleyes:

If Artest really were to retire (and I think that's a big "if" ), it wouldn't leave us in any position to consider Rashard Lewis, who will want, and probably get, twice what Artest makes. Artest barely makes more than Gerald Wallace does now, and Wallace is also going to be looking for a significant raise, I think.

So I'd be thinking more along the lines of: free up cap space for a nice extension for Kevin Martin, plus some smallish contracts for Ronnie Price and Justin Williams, and look for some more help from the lottery and any hidden gems who may go undrafted. Maybe even re-sign Corliss at a low price, if he's willing, since he's a perfect mentor for the youngsters.

We need to rebuild, and it's not going to be fun and easy with the contracts we've got. We didn't blow it up this year, so unless some totally amazing things are pulled off this summer, we should be ready for a season which offers hope, but little immediate gratification. We need to focus on the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.