Kings @ Suns Game Thread - March 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
a "lin" - finally
------------------------------------------------------------------------
On March 22nd 2003 Kings won in Portland 113-104 to improve to 49-21 for the season. Kings started very slow and trailed the whole first half. After Adelma's kool aid - Pedja got really hot and Kings exploded for 42 pts in the 3rd quarter. Blazers didn't know what hit them and it was over before they could recover. Kings shot 51% and were 14-14 at the line. Also they had 30 assists on 46 FGs. Pedja lead Kings with 30/4/3/1, Webber added 25/15/6, Bibby had 23/3/8/4, DC had 14/5/2/2. Kings bench didn't do much mostly because Adelman was working on 5 man "rotation"

Peja Stojakovic fueled another 40-point quarter and the Sacramento Kings shot down another Pacific Division foe. Stojakovic scored 14 of his 30 points in a blistering third quarter as the Kings raced to a 113-104 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers that clinched their fifth straight playoff berth.In Thursday night's home showdown with the rival Los Angeles Lakers, the Kings scored 41 points on 13-of-19 shooting in the fourth quarter as they surged to a big win. In the third quarter against Portland, Sacramento was even better. It made 18-of-22 shots from the field and scored 42 points, turning a four-point halftime deficit into a 91-75 lead.

"We just got hot," Stojakovic said. "I think every thing started with our defense. We started defending better, which was a problem, especially in the third quarter. We got out of the break and moved the ball and hit our shots."

"We just lit it up," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "I think we kind of got them on their heels and they didn't know what hit them."

Overall, Stojakovic made 10-of-14 shots, including 3-of-6 3-pointers. He also had a handful of key baskets in the final period, when the Kings fought off a rally by the Trail Blazers.

"He is just stroking it out there," Adelman said. "He kept moving further and further out."

"Peja got going after struggling in the first half," Portland coach Maurice Cheeks said. "I thought Ruben (Patterson) and Bonzi (Wells) played him pretty tough for the most part, but he's a great player."

"I definitely see us coming together," Webber said. "I see it really happening as far as us getting our swagger back. So it felt good to win a tough game against a great team here at home. "When I say the swagger, I mean we're talking to each other, getting each other pumped up, we're playing D and started feeling really good."

"Peja started really letting it go and taking some good shots and taking tough shots and having the confidence in them," Webber said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
After wiping off the tears we have lo leave the glorious past and get back to the sad reality where Kings are 29-39 after a hard fought lin against the Wolves. 10 games below .500 is the worst that Kings have been since Adelman became a coach. The potential to get even worse than that is right there. After losing 6 out of the last 7 games - Kings have the 9th worst record in the league but still only 3 games away from the 8th spot - at least for now. Since we will play Suns twice in the next 4 days - we should be out of the PO contention by the end of this weekend. Can't come soon enough.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This season which will hopefully be over soon has made us suffer in many different ways and it is hard enough to find anything positive right now. Obviously, we are stronger than and also creative enough to evolve above it. We have created a "lingo" around here that fits our situation so that we can smile and laugh not because it is great fun but mostly because it is the best was to fight off crying and depression. Words and phrases like woss, lin, almost win, kool aid etc and oxymoron that we used every time we addressed Muss as a coach or this group of players as a team are just small example of creativity that people around here posses. One day we will realize that - we were way ahead of our times.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
14 games left and on a good day - Kings could lose them all or let's better say we put up a great "lining" streak.

@Pho - massacre
Pho - almost win
LAC - woss
@LAL - win
DAL - spanking
@DEN - lin
UTA - lin
HOU - lin
@MEM - woss
@SAS - spanking
GS - woss
@LAC - lin
NOH - lin
LAL - win

scary good if we are smart enough to tank the rest of the way. We need better than 5-9 to make a difference but then again as You know - I would never pick Lakers to beat us and the other 3 are debatable.
The Kings situation is nothing new. Kings have been there for years before Adelman and other teams did it to and some of them are still in that vicious circle. Hell even movies have been made on this topic. Most famous are:

In all those movies the "captains went down with the ships" Something is telling me that our current captain would have to be tied up to take the responsibility.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The reason that me may be more optimistic for our lottery position is also the fact that even Kevin has started to struggle a bit. He is the main reason why we have so many wins in the first place. Kidding aside - it is normal to get tired considering the fact that he never had to play this much in his career and that the defensive schemes of the opponents have his name on the top of the list. I hope that he won't get discouraged by all this losing this season and next season because if You think that next season will be much better - You are kidding Yourselves.
Speaking of contribution - does anyone really miss KT these days ? Did anyone notice that he isn't playing ? Not me. Corliss does same things for less money and we are racking up the lin's. No harm - no foul. Now, we all know that KT will be a King for a long, long time so this "break" feels nice. Sure, some might make an argument that we lost so many games since KT got injured but You won't be taken seriously around here. Our "mediocrity" (I apologize to all teams that are actually mediocre) makes KT's contributions irrelevant because he can't drag us down more than we already are. If we had a good team - well, he wouldn't be on it.
Coach's corner is sponsored today by Kafka, Nietsche and Hemingway. So You are down to 3 big man and neither one of them is any big to begin with. You spread the minutes 43, 37 and 9. That is brilliant. Next night You have to run with Suns with 2 old guys who played heavy minutes the night before. If this would matter for any kind of standings - we could conclude that our coach is insane but since we need to lose anyways and we will - it was a brilliant decision. Oh and BTW - another drawn up 7pt play at the end of regulation got wasted. Players just ave to execute better:rolleyes: .
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kings lost another one that was winnable in a game between 2 teams that should not even have a desire to be embarrassed in the first round of the POs. We lead the whole game until the very end. Sounds familiar - doesn't it ? Our depleated bench gave us nothing and it got outscored by 14 by Foye. Wolves were less horrible in every category except the turnover. Ultimately - we got the last laugh since we took their lottery position.
Award time

TDM went to Foye. Impressive game by the rookie sponsored by the Kings defense in the shape of the swiss cheese.
LW_VC went to Kings bench mostly because the expectations were close to 0 and they almost fulfilled them.
JH-KT award goes to Kevin Martin for the first time. He looked very very old.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suns are next and the are rested and waiting for us and we should have just forfited this one per email. We don't have a chance tonight maybe not even to make it decent. Just the thought of SAR or Corliss guarding Amare and Matrix makes me extremely nauseated. Nash won't be guarded either. Barbosa won't even be noticed by our players. Basically it will be a "first to 130 wins" type of game but we probably won't even break 100.
Mike - used to be able to stay on par with Nash. Now he could be his paper boy.
Kevin - might bounc back but will either get beat up by Bell or exposed by Barbosa
Ron - I hope that those guarantees were all "money back"
Brad - don't even bother coming back. Just heal up
SAR - Wouldn't want to be You tonight.
rest - mateen
--------------------------------------------------------------
Muss - kool aid flavor of the night - acetone
------------------------------------------------------------------
Suns won the division again. They are better by far and way more talented. They will probably run us out of their building. Amare will shoot 80%, Marrion might get 20rebounds, nash 20 assists but no one is going to hurt us as bad as Barbosa. It is his ;ast season in which he is eligible for the TDM award and he will take it again. LW-VC award and JH-KT award will go to the Kings and it could be anyone. All in all - we lost this game when the schedule was published.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
a "lin" - finally
On March 22nd 2003 Kings won in Portland 113-104 to improve to 49-21 for the season. Kings started very slow and trailed the whole first half. After Adelma's kool aid - Pedja got really hot and Kings exploded for 42 pts in the 3rd quarter. Blazers didn't know what hit them and it was over before they could recover. Kings shot 51% and were 14-14 at the line. Also they had 30 assists on 46 FGs. Pedja lead Kings with 30/4/3/1, Webber added 25/15/6, Bibby had 23/3/8/4, DC had 14/5/2/2. Kings bench didn't do much mostly because Adelman was working on 5 man "rotation"

Peja Stojakovic fueled another 40-point quarter and the Sacramento Kings shot down another Pacific Division foe. Stojakovic scored 14 of his 30 points in a blistering third quarter as the Kings raced to a 113-104 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers that clinched their fifth straight playoff berth.In Thursday night's home showdown with the rival Los Angeles Lakers, the Kings scored 41 points on 13-of-19 shooting in the fourth quarter as they surged to a big win. In the third quarter against Portland, Sacramento was even better. It made 18-of-22 shots from the field and scored 42 points, turning a four-point halftime deficit into a 91-75 lead.

"We just got hot," Stojakovic said. "I think every thing started with our defense. We started defending better, which was a problem, especially in the third quarter. We got out of the break and moved the ball and hit our shots."

"We just lit it up," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "I think we kind of got them on their heels and they didn't know what hit them."

Overall, Stojakovic made 10-of-14 shots, including 3-of-6 3-pointers. He also had a handful of key baskets in the final period, when the Kings fought off a rally by the Trail Blazers.

"He is just stroking it out there," Adelman said. "He kept moving further and further out."

"Peja got going after struggling in the first half," Portland coach Maurice Cheeks said. "I thought Ruben (Patterson) and Bonzi (Wells) played him pretty tough for the most part, but he's a great player."

"I definitely see us coming together," Webber said. "I see it really happening as far as us getting our swagger back. So it felt good to win a tough game against a great team here at home. "When I say the swagger, I mean we're talking to each other, getting each other pumped up, we're playing D and started feeling really good."

"Peja started really letting it go and taking some good shots and taking tough shots and having the confidence in them," Webber said.

That was the title team right there. Then Webb's knee ended everything.

that is a very brutal schedule. memphis is the only team we have a better record than. and the only team we have a chance of beating

I guess we split against the lakers and clippers, win against the griz, and that's it...end the last 14 games 3-11.

Does anyone know if Artest is playing tonight? I'll be attending the massacre tonight.

It was reported several times late last night that he would take a commercial flight to Phoenix after his court appearance and be in uniform tonight. Annie.

I guess we split against the lakers and clippers, win against the griz, and that's it...end the last 14 games 3-11.

Does anyone know if Artest is playing tonight? I'll be attending the massacre tonight.
You may want to bring not only your favorite Kings jersey, but also a paper bag. ;)

"Woss"

Well, I'm weally weady fur a wonderful woss in tonight's game.

Time to tank. Play the Younguns, Muss!

Thank you for the lingo laughs, Piksi. You are a hoot.

Speaking of the capitalized "You, Your", I wonder why is that so. This amuses me and, please, don't stop doing everything that You are doing, including the capping all the "Yous".

And at the end of the season, this will the the Trump-card of the season, so to speak:

"Muss, You're fired!"

piksi

Hall of Famer
Well, I'm weally weady fur a wonderful woss in tonight's game.

Time to tank. Play the Younguns, Muss!

Thank you for the lingo laughs, Piksi. You are a hoot.

Speaking of the capitalized "You, Your", I wonder why is that so. This amuses me and, please, don't stop doing everything that You are doing, including the capping all the "Yous".

And at the end of the season, this will the the Trump-card of the season, so to speak:

"Muss, You're fired!"
there will be no woss tonight. It will be a lin

Get Your terminology straight!;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
there will be no woss tonight. It will be a lin

Get Your terminology straight!;)

As I recall I invented those terms, and even I am confused at this point about which is which. ;)

Suffice it to say that by all rights this should be a beatdown. Which of go off and "save" us. Except most of us are no longer interested in being "saved". Time to go fishing guys, franchise has some serious work to do , and its easier to do it with the #7 pick than the #12.

WE need to go ahead and start a countdown for next season. We need something to look forward to. I am one of the biggest optimists on this board and even I can't muster any hope right now. I just want us to make it the rest of the season without serious injuries. That way nobody's trade value is damaged and those we keep can work on their games without having to worry about rehabbing anything.

We need to play well enough individually that the players we keep do not adopt a person losing mindset and the players that we trade keep as high a value as possible.

I still say - GO KINGS! - What that actually means is debatable.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
chelle:

I have hope...

I hope that, after this season, the gold lamé jerseys are taken to a nuclear waste disposal point in the middle of the desert and properly disposed of.

And that one small hope is enough...for now. I don't want to overstep my "hope boundary" until TEAOS gets here.

What day is Draft Day again???

amen VF21. (gold uni's)

i also have hope that KT is gone and we have a new staring center and coach next season. i also hope that we trash those horrible v-neck jersey's. they look like womens hanes

This is how it works.

You either have a win or a loss. But a win = losing and a loss = winning.

So, you take what you have. Say a win. But since it's really a loss:

win - in + oss = woss

Or, if you have a loss, but it really means a win.

loss - oss + in = lin

Lins and Wosses 101 ;)

call it whatever. tonight won't even be close. it will be a slaughter house

I don't think it will be that much of a slaughter. The Suns will easily dominate, but they are not interested in expending too much energy too beat us. I say look for some extended garbage time action on both sides.

I'm hoping for the game to be over by the early third, and then both teams go to that third unit, and we chip away to cut the lead back to within 30.:D

This reminds me of the first 12 years when everybody openly and with no sense of shame watched the games to watch good basketball by the other team. No seriously, that was the culture. It was like "Oh, did you see the SUNS game last night?" Or, "Dude, I'm psyched, I'm going to the SUNS game!"

Just a little perspective for y'all from an old timer. :eek:

Lin-aid, then

Alrighty, then, I got all mussed up with my woss/lin terminology--I blame it on Muss.

So tonight's Kool-Aid will be a slim gin with a grin after a lin in tonight's game. I expect the Kings to get Sunsburned tonight.

I never, ever thought that I'd be rooting to lose, but, then again, today's Orwellian world is dominant with the War is Peace shiat and all, so I might as well ginny and linny up and enjoy it all the same.

Says Trump: "Muss, You're fired!"

Status
Not open for further replies.