Artest arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artest out of action

Kings remove star indefinitely after domestic violence arrest

By Dorothy Korber and Kim Minugh - Bee Staff Writers

Last Updated 6:18 am PST Tuesday, March 6, 2007
Story appeared in MAIN NEWS section, Page A1

The calm of a country morning -- and a Hummer's windshield -- were shattered in rural Loomis on Monday in a wild incident that ended with the arrest of Sacramento Kings star Ron Artest on a domestic violence charge.

The allegation -- that Artest shoved a woman repeatedly to the floor and then used force to stop her from reporting the crime -- led to his being removed indefinitely from the team as the Kings fight for a spot in the National Basketball Association playoffs. He will continue to be paid his $7.15 million salary for this year.

Artest was released on $50,000 bail after spending several hours in the Placer County jail in Auburn. He will be arraigned at 8:30 a.m. March 22 in Placer Superior Court.

The arrest is the latest in a series of well-publicized altercations involving Artest, including some with the women in his life. Most recently, however, the trouble-prone athlete was in the news after animal control officials rescued a starving dog from his 5-acre property last month.

Monday's incident began at 9:23 a.m. when a woman reported domestic violence in a 911 call, according to the Placer County Sheriff's Department. Officials would not identify the caller, saying state law prevents them from identifying victims of domestic violence.

But a neighbor who witnessed part of the altercation told The Bee that the incident involved Artest and his wife, Kimsha Artest.

Five deputies arrived to find Artest waiting on the front lawn of his home. He was "very calm, cooperative," said Sgt. Andrew Scott, one of the responding deputies. Inside the house, deputies found the woman who called them, along with a 3-year-old child.

The victim was injured but declined medical attention; Scott would not elaborate on the nature of the injuries. The sergeant said Artest had pushed the woman to the floor several times and took the phone from her when she initially tried to call 911.

"We are required to make an arrest if we believe domestic violence occurred -- and we did in this case," Scott said.

Artest was handcuffed and taken to jail.

The Sheriff's Department sought an emergency protective order against Artest, preventing him from returning home or contacting the victim, officials said. Kimsha Artest has five business days to request a protective court order.

At some point Monday morning, Scott said, the argument spilled outside. Upon arriving, deputies found Artest's Hummer SUV parked out front with a smashed windshield.

A neighbor who is not being named by The Bee because she witnessed the incident described an emotional and violent scene.

Artest was behind the wheel of his white Hummer when his wife ran from their house, brandishing what looked like a frying pan, the witness said.
"He was in the car," the witness said. "The car was in reverse. He was attempting to get away from her."

She started hitting the Hummer's windshield with the frying pan, according to the witness. Artest pulled over and the two went back into the house. Five minutes later, Placer County sheriff's deputies arrived.

Sheriff's officials later confirmed the witness account of how the windshield had been smashed.

Ron and Kimsha Artest moved into the $1.85 million property last spring. Their five-bedroom house, built in 1983 in the shingled Craftsman style, covers 6,571 square feet. There are just 18 homes in the secluded Sierra Ridge neighborhood, which is nestled in the oaks near Sierra College.

This wasn't the first time deputies have been to the Artest home.

Police records show that officers responded to another 911 call to the residence on Nov. 8, and that Artest's wife was the reporting party. She complained that he had vandalized her property, according to the records, but she said she wanted only to document the event. No charges were filed.

The tables were turned in September 2002, according to the Associated Press. At that time, Artest called Indiana police to complain that Kimsha, then his girlfriend, had battered him.

Two months before, Artest was charged with harassment and criminal contempt for allegedly threatening another girlfriend in New York.

He agreed to weeks of anger-management counseling after that incident.

It was not a human but a malnourished canine named Socks that most recently brought Artest unfriendly scrutiny off the basketball court.

Placer County animal control officers seized the black Great Dane from Artest's Loomis home in early February, citing a law requiring animal caretakers to "provide proper sustenance."

In that case, Artest could face misdemeanor or felony charges and a fine of up to $20,000.

Socks remains in county custody after being treated by a local veterinarian, said county spokeswoman Anita Yoder. She said an investigation into the case is "wrapping up," with a report being forwarded within days to the District Attorney's Office for potential prosecution.

Artest attributed the dog's malnutrition to an inattentive dog watcher and a food-hogging American bulldog, which Artest claimed ate Socks' food.

Also unresolved is his immediate future with the Sacramento Kings, who obtained him in a January 2006 trade with the Indiana Pacers. The trade came after Artest was suspended for 73 games -- the harshest in league history for an on-court incident -- for his involvement in a brawl at a Detroit Pistons-Pacers game.

In a statement Monday, Kings President Geoff Petrie said: "The Kings have excused Ron Artest indefinitely from any further participation with the team due to his arrest today for domestic violence. The Kings will continue to accumulate reliable and official facts and information over the next several days before taking any further action."

In an interview later, Petrie said the team understands the gravity of the situation.

"It's a very serious charge," said Petrie, "and certainly something that we're very concerned with on a lot of fronts.

"I think we made a decision that gives some time ... gives everyone a little breathing room here to make a further assessment. There are a lot of different aspects to this and I don't think it's good to speculate right now."

Following its usual policy, the NBA withheld comment in the immediate aftermath of the arrest and would not speculate on whether the case would lead to a suspension for Artest.

"We're just gathering the information and monitoring the situation right now," said Mark Broussard, the director of basketball communications for the league. "At this point, there's not much more we can say."

No discipline is expected soon. If the case is resolved during the offseason and Artest is suspended, the penalty will be served at the start of the 2007-08 regular season.

"We let it run its course through the legal system" before deciding, Broussard said.

Link

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I am really proud of how the front office handled this. They put community interest first and by excusing him from the team they are saying they will not tolerate their players behaving in such way.
I'm not proud of the front office at all. Petrie comes out in the newspaper and says he's not surprised about Artest. Well, if he wasn't surprised, then why the heck didn't he unload this guy before the trade deadline? His statement to me is a big CYA after the fact. Petrie continues to put himself in a situations where he re-acts rather than pro-acts. Now, he's going to have to re-act again, leaving the team that much worse off. This is just another example to me of the, "Let's wait and see what happens," approach of Petrie. It's time for him to have a strategy, not a wait-and-see approach, to building this team. And that strategy would include not having high-risk players as part of your core.

I'm not proud of the front office at all. Petrie comes out in the newspaper and says he's not surprised about Artest. Well, if he wasn't surprised, then why the heck didn't he unload this guy before the trade deadline? His statement to me is a big CYA after the fact. Petrie continues to put himself in a situations where he re-acts rather than pro-acts. Now, he's going to have to re-act again, leaving the team that much worse off. This is just another example to me of the, "Let's wait and see what happens," approach of Petrie. It's time for him to have a strategy, not a wait-and-see approach, to building this team. And that strategy would include not having high-risk players as part of your core.
This board was always split about Artest. I am one of those who didn't want him here in the first place. He proved me wrong on the court few times and I changed my opinion to enjoy while it lasts but never take it for granted.

Since day one it was obvious that Maloofs have had GPs hands tied about the whole Artest thing. They are the ones that almost slapped a franchise label on him. In all honesty I'm not even sure that Petrie would have parted with Peja.

On the day of Artest/Peja trade Maloofs were more in the media than Petrie. Petrie can only do as much as people signing his checks allow him to do.

Petrie did the right thing this time by having guts to come out and "excuse" the best player on the team because it is a right and moral thing to do.

I am in no way condoning Domestic violence, they BOTH screwed up, I am more concerned with the child that witnessed this whole mess. I just think its interesting once someone in the public eye in general makes a mistake they are burnt at the stake and all these spectators somehow become angelic like they have never done something shameful in their lifetime. What Ron did was very wrong, what his wife did was very wrong but When did we all become the almighty judges of his demise?

I agree with BonziFan he's been the MVP of the kings this year despites having knee problem
I believe him when he's talking about his injury because it's obvious that he's not moving the same way especially on defense.
He's slower than last year, just look at his lateral moving.
It's not the same Ron unfortunately but he's BY FAR the best defender of the team, and he's leading the NBA in steal/game.

I really appreciate Kevin but :
Ron 19pts / kevin 21pts ( not talking about rebounds steals and assists)
same FG% and Ron draws more attention by the opponents than Kevin (until now at least) AND Kmart don't really bust his *** on defense you know...

So you can't say Kevin is better than Ron right now...

Do i have to remember you that he did a lot to help the team weakness ! Focusing on the rebound, helping out his teammates on D, take less forced shots...

He's been really nice for sacramento.

Who be kidding ??
1. give me the source please, i don't remember him seriously asking a month off to promote his album as a Kings player.
2. His dogs ? As VF21 pointed out, the problem with his dog occured when he was on the road playing bball ; he hired a dogsitter who wasn't doing a great job. Ok he was still responsible but come on is that a serious incident ?
3. already answered
4. This ? What do you mean actually ? You must know the whole thing very well, it's official he's guilty ?

Stop being that hard on Ron who i repeat have been really a good thing for the sacramento Kings
I would say that he is, simply because he is playing tonight and the time bomb is not. Kevin is not doing everything possible to ruin his career, he is doing exactly the opposite. Kevin is not doing everything possible to alienate his fans and his team mates, the time bomb is doing the exact opposite... etc.

There are so many more factors to being the best than having the league steal record.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
This will in all liklihood allow for more PT for the youngsters. Right when the schedule starts getting brutal.

Maybe Artest wants Oden on the Kings, too? ;)

All kidding aside, let's please not turn this thread into a Ron vs. Kevin thing.

piksi

Hall of Famer
This will in all liklihood allow for more PT for the youngsters. Right when the schedule starts getting brutal.

Maybe Artest wants Oden on the Kings, too? ;)

All kidding aside, let's please not turn this thread into a Ron vs. Kevin thing.
Chris and Pedja are gon so that kinda limits options:p

You made a fair point SKFFL, i have to agree with you at this point.
Warhawk : sorry :)

I'm in wait and see mode for RonRon.

GO KINGS !

Warhawk

Staff member
You made a fair point SKFFL, i have to agree with you at this point.
Warhawk : sorry :)

I'm in wait and see mode for RonRon.

GO KINGS !
No, it's cool if you want to start another thread on the topic and nobody starts "player-bashing" - I think we'd like to keep this one on the arrest, etc, if possible. That's a pretty specific topic that could use it's own location if you want to dive into that area.

You'll have to show me where Petrie says anything of the kind. As far as I can tell that was an assumption on the part of Voison in her piece. She asks and answers her own rhetorical question about whether Petrie is surprised.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This board was always split about Artest. I am one of those who didn't want him here in the first place. He proved me wrong on the court few times and I changed my opinion to enjoy while it lasts but never take it for granted.

Since day one it was obvious that Maloofs have had GPs hands tied about the whole Artest thing. They are the ones that almost slapped a franchise label on him. In all honesty I'm not even sure that Petrie would have parted with Peja.

On the day of Artest/Peja trade Maloofs were more in the media than Petrie. Petrie can only do as much as people signing his checks allow him to do.

Petrie did the right thing this time by having guts to come out and "excuse" the best player on the team because it is a right and moral thing to do.
I'm tired of absolving Petrie of any responsibility of the bad stuff. Petrie is turning into the teflon man. Nothing sticks. It seems like whatever the front office does that's good, Petrie gets the credit. Whatever the front office does that's bad, the Maloofs' get the blame. I don't buy it. The Maloofs have said over and over ad nauseum that they defer to Petrie. Petrie said he wasn't surprised about the Artest incident. If you're not surprised by something, it's safe to say that you're darn near expecting it. Yes, the Maloofs wanted to bring Artest to Sacto. But Petrie certainly had the accumulated political capital to say, "No freaking way!" But instead, either he bought into the idea or he stepped aside, offering no great objection, probably thinking, "We'll have to wait and see..." And now all of us has seen...

I'm tired of absolving Petrie of any responsibility of the bad stuff. Petrie is turning into the teflon man. Nothing sticks. It seems like whatever the front office does that's good, Petrie gets the credit. Whatever the front office does that's bad, the Maloofs' get the blame. I don't buy it. The Maloofs have said over and over ad nauseum that they defer to Petrie. Petrie said he wasn't surprised about the Artest incident. If you're not surprised by something, it's safe to say that you're darn near expecting it. Yes, the Maloofs wanted to bring Artest to Sacto. But Petrie certainly had the accumulated political capital to say, "No freaking way!" But instead, either he bought into the idea or he stepped aside, offering no great objection, probably thinking, "We'll have to wait and see..." And now all of us has seen...
Again, please show me any direct quote where Petrie said that.

However, everybody and their cousin knew there was a risk involved in trading for Artest, due to his history of "incidents." Petrie knew it, the Maloofs knew it and the fans knew it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Again, please show me any direct quote where Petrie said that.

However, everybody and their cousin knew there was a risk involved in trading for Artest, due to his history of "incidents." Petrie knew it, the Maloofs knew it and the fans knew it.
Uhh, what do you mean by, "that"? There's a whole paragraph there. And you're second statement supports my point. If he was onto the fact that Artest wasn't different from the Artest of old, that he was bomb waiting to go off, then why the heck didn't he trade him by now? Instead, he just wished and hoped, I guess.

Uhh, what do you mean by, "that"? There's a whole paragraph there.
what paragraph? i don't see it...

In a statement Monday, Kings President Geoff Petrie said: "The Kings have excused Ron Artest indefinitely from any further participation with the team due to his arrest today for domestic violence. The Kings will continue to accumulate reliable and official facts and information over the next several days before taking any further action."

In an interview later, Petrie said the team understands the gravity of the situation.

"It's a very serious charge," said Petrie, "and certainly something that we're very concerned with on a lot of fronts.

"I think we made a decision that gives some time ... gives everyone a little breathing room here to make a further assessment. There are a lot of different aspects to this and I don't think it's good to speculate right now."

Just saw on ESPN Breaking News

More info was released by the department and they found out that Artest slapped her, pushed her down repeatedly, and ripped the phone out of her hand when she tried to call the police. I guess this pretty much does it... I'll do the honors...

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Just saw on ESPN Breaking News

More info was released by the department and they found out that Artest slapped her, pushed her down repeatedly, and ripped the phone out of her hand when she tried to call the police. I guess this pretty much does it... I'll do the honors...

way ahead of You (check the previous page)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Right now Ron is guilty by reputation more than anything else. This is one huge PR mess which is equal parts stereotype, misinformation, opportunism (on the part of sports journalists), and politiking (on the part of the Kings organization). I could write a whole essay on the topic of racial sterotypes in the sports world as regards this one particular event.

Think back to the reaction which took place regarding Eric Musselman's DUI arrest. A DUI is a serious crime in this country. Second offenders I believe face mandatory jail time. And that's not to say that domestic violence is easily dismissed, but in terms of civil severity, Musselman's crime carries the harsher punishment. At the time, Musselman was allowed to speak to reporters regarding the incident, and the Kings organization was mostly supportive. You can go back and look up the quotes. I found this one from Joe Maloof: "We don't like fining anybody, and we don't attack anybody," Joe Maloof said. "It's not in our nature. He said he was sorry. We told him we were disappointed. But that's as far as it's going to go. ... He's a good man who did a bad thing." Eventually he was suspended for two games, served some time in house arrest, and that was that.

Now compare that situation to this one. The Kings organization is purposefully distancing itself from the situation. Not "let's all stand behind our guy" but rather "it's his problem, let him sort it out". And that might ultimately be in Ron's best interest, but the PR message they're sending out is totally different than the Musselman decision. They don't want to look bad by association. I sincerely hope the players and coaches aren't taking this same attitude. Doesn't Artest deserve the same support that Musselman got? Is it really because of the severity of their (accused) crimes or is it because Musselman is a dimunitive man in a suit with a clean record and Artest is a percieved inner-city thug with a supposedly short fuse? At this point Artest is guilty only by reputation. And sociologically I think it probably does drive a person crazy when the overwhelming perception is that they're prone to snap at any moment.

Looking back at the brawl in Detroit, I don't think Artest's actions are excusable, but they are a lot more rationally explainable than they are typically made out to be. Playing on a basketball court in front of thousands of fans, you are a target. As an opposing team member in a rivalry situation you are even more of a target. Who knows what the fans had been shouting all game long? And you can say that players should be professional and not let it affect them, but come on. We're all human. It's going to affect you. His reaction was obviously an inappropriate one, but clearly that suspension had as much to do with smoothing over league PR as it did in doling out appropriate punishment. Someone had to be the fall guy, and he was the most visible target. And he's always going to be the most visible target.

So that brings me back to the domestic violence arrest. What do we know so far? Hardly anything. So what is there to report on? I said this about the dog issue when that came up -- animals are seized all the time for similar reasons and it's not reported. Why? Because it's none of our business. Do we need to know every time an animal gets taken away because it isn't being fed adequetly? No. Why should it matter if it's Ron Artests dog or not? And I think the same thing applies here. When Artest is convicted of beating his wife, then it's news. Then you have to respond to it somehow. But that hasn't happened yet. And there's enough background information there to justify a certain level of skepticism. The bigger issue, for me, is how these things escalate into a ridiculous media circus. Now every arm-chair critic can wag their finger at the "bad man" Artest and call for his dismissal from the team, being run out of town, his head on a plate, whatever. What purpose does that serve? Isn't there some fundamental value "judge not, lest yee be judged" or something like that? This is Artest's personal matter. And if he needs time off to resolve it, than he should have it. But otherwise, I don't see this as evidence of any ticking time bomb going off or the prognosticators of Artest Doom-dum being vindicated. It seems to me this situation has been ongoing or developing for some time, probably long before Artest moved to Sacramento, and he's managed to handle it until now and still play basketball. Now all of a sudden this is grounds for dismissal from the team? Come on. It's a PR move to appease the yellow journalists and the bigoted and judgemental and the whole media circus makes me sick. And shame on anyone who goes along with it. Put your pitchforks down, this isn't the 19th century anymore. Or, for that matter, the 20th.

And furthermore, I think playing basketball might be the best thing for Ron right now. I remember Kobe Bryant saying something to that affect when his trial was going on. It was a privelage to get back on the basketball court. It was what he needed to do to take his mind off of it. And for anyone who plays basketball, or some other sport, I think you can understand that. I certainly understand it. I don't support what Kobe Bryant did, but I think every person should be allowed to pick themself up again when they make mistakes. I'm not at all afraid of what Artest might do on a basetball court. If anything, I would be afraid of what immature fans would do to exploit the situation and make it way worse than it is. That's why you can't put Ron Artest on a basketball court right now. Not because of who he is or what he might do, but because of what the fans innaccurate and stereotypical perceptions are and what they might do. And that's really sad.

Uhh, what do you mean by, "that"? There's a whole paragraph there. And you're second statement supports my point. If he was onto the fact that Artest wasn't different from the Artest of old, that he was bomb waiting to go off, then why the heck didn't he trade him by now? Instead, he just wished and hoped, I guess.
The part that as in bold:

You said "Petrie said he wasn't surprised about the Artest incident"

When did he say that? Think that is what he is wondering...me too since that would be a shocker

Yeah I was quite confused by that as well Kingster...

Side note: The slapping may now take any type of he-said she-said and turn into hard evidence (probably left a mark) so unfortunately I think Artest isn't going to be with the Kings for at least a couple of weeks...

What Ron did is wrong, but for the Organization to disassociate themselves from him is wrong too. He does need some time to sort stuff out and for everyone to know the full details, but it's wrong to say he's off the team indefinately. He surely has had a troubled past, but from what I've seen, he's grown up and moved on from the big brawl. His wife and him getting into it is definately a problem. They both are hot heads and Ron's actions and his wife's if she was to blame which she definately is (chasing down Ron and putting a frying pan through his Hummer windshield when he was trying to get away). Ron's temper has definately stained his reputation and cost him millions, the past few years alone...now his future is very much in questions, not only on the Kings, but anywhere. What a mess this is. I really like what Ron brings on the court, and I really was hoping he put everything behind him and moved on.

I'm not condoing his actions, as they are serious, but look at Kobie and how he raped the hotel worker in Colorado and then was allowed to go to trial in Colorado and then return to play games for the Lakers. This is rape, a very very serious crime, not that spousal abuse is not, but rape is definately much worse. Ron has been strupid about stuff, but the league has also used him as a wipping boy to make an example out of him, that is not even disputable. Yes he deserved punishment for the brawl, and Indy suspended him for demanding a trade, but the guy has definately felt the wrath of the NBA and has been made an example of to hopefully stop others from doing similar things.

Warhawk

Staff member
What Ron did is wrong, but for the Organization to disassociate themselves from him is wrong too. He does need some time to sort stuff out and for everyone to know the full details, but it's wrong to say he's off the team indefinately.
Indefinitely means just that - not defined. Could be one game, could be the rest of the season. It has not been decided yet. I think some are jumping to the conclusion it means something long term, when it actually may not. Sounds like a few days minimum, maybe more, depending on the information the team is able to receive.

I'll have to listen to that call when I get home. At this point the organization is definately making a firm stand to not go along with players who are wife beaters. I hope this ends in Ron being able to come back to the Kings after he serves his suspension from the team and league, pays his fines, and then takes a pay cut or doesn't get much more then he is getting now. He is a very good player but there is no questioning the risk he brings along with him. His trade value is very much deflated and he is being paid below what he brings. If Kobie can get away with rapping someone and still play while the trial is going on and the outcome is unknown, and Muss can be lectured and we moved on from his DUI...then Artest should be able to carry on as well. I hope this doesn't ruin the Kings organization, and then Ron Artest. We had a very nice tight knit community like Indy and both our organizations have been dragged through the mud due to Artest, also us through our new coach getting a DUI in preseason. We also had Mo Taylor get suspended for substance abuse. We have had problems with a cohesive team and trust in the coach...what a rocky year it's been!!!! :(

He does need some time to sort stuff out and for everyone to know the full details, but it's wrong to say he's off the team indefinately.
Think that is what Petrie did...just give him some time to sort out the details and for the organization to figure out what to do as well. He could be back in a day or a month depending on the details that emerge. Seems like a very wise move to me.

I'll have to listen to that call when I get home. At this point the organization is definately making a firm stand to not go along with players who are wife beaters. I hope this ends in Ron being able to come back to the Kings after he serves his suspension from the team and league, pays his fines, and then takes a pay cut or doesn't get much more then he is getting now. He is a very good player but there is no questioning the risk he brings along with him. His trade value is very much deflated and he is being paid below what he brings. If Kobie can get away with rapping someone and still play while the trial is going on and the outcome is unknown, and Muss can be lectured and we moved on from his DUI...then Artest should be able to carry on as well. I hope this doesn't ruin the Kings organization, and then Ron Artest. We had a very nice tight knit community like Indy and both our organizations have been dragged through the mud due to Artest, also us through our new coach getting a DUI in preseason. We also had Mo Taylor get suspended for substance abuse. We have had problems with a cohesive team and trust in the coach...what a rocky year it's been!!!! :(
uh, kobe didn't rape that woman. anyways, whether artest or kobe play after they get in trouble is entirely up to the team and it should be. it's their decision whether they think the distraction is worth having artest in the lineup, they apparently don't think he is.

Yeah I was quite confused by that as well Kingster...

Side note: The slapping may now take any type of he-said she-said and turn into hard evidence (probably left a mark) so unfortunately I think Artest isn't going to be with the Kings for at least a couple of weeks...
Unless the evidence of a slap is counterbalanced by the evidence of a windshield smashed by repeated blows from sounds to have been a heavy, cast iron skillet, as he was trying to get away from her. Seems like we are missing key parts of the story, and probably will be for some time.

What Ron did is wrong, but for the Organization to disassociate themselves from him is wrong too.
I thought it's common practice for most companies to put people who are in legal trouble (but have not been convicted of any wrongdoing) on paid leave until the legal stuff gets sorted out. This is, of course, also because the person really should focus their time and energy on taking care of personal business. I don't see anything unreasonable about what the Kings did--in fact, if the Kings were to ask Ron to keep playing in these conditions, that would seem unreasonable to me! (Kobe, of course, is a different story, but who's surprised that he gets special treatment?) :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.