SI: Kings trying to ship out Bibby before trade deadline

The leak had to have come from the Cavs. And it's kind of smart on their part. What better way to force the opposing GM's hand (in this case GP) than to release to the media that they are in serious talks about trading their long tenured highest paid player? Gives a little more incentive to Geoff so that he doesn't come out with nothing + an extremely unhappy Mike Bibby. Of course Geoff would be upset about it, and I'm not sure GP is going to budge.

Excerpt from Marc Stein blog (insider):

With two hours to go before the trade deadline, I'm told that Cleveland is the only team in the running for Sacramento's Mike Bibby.

Yet sources close to the situation maintain that a Bibby deal of any kind still ranks as a long shot.

The problem? On top of Cleveland's struggles to find a third (or fourth) team to give the Kings more cap-friendly contracts than it possesses -- with not much time left to do so -- sources say that the Cavs want to find a new home for Damon Jones to offset the financial impact of adding Bibby.

So far, Cleveland has had no luck ... although it's not totally inconceivable that Miami would consider bringing back Jones in the wake of Dwyane Wade's shoulder injury.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2775163&name=stein_marc

He also mentions Phoenix and Marcus Banks.

i hope some forward progress is made through some trade, i don't care how but i wont be content if we sit still and try to "contend" (delay fishing vacation) as is.

not like my opinion really matters to the kings organization though, especially since i'm not in sacramento

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The interest comes because many GM see that there is a chance that they can find a deal in which they can get an upper hand. There is blood in the water, so to speak.
I think there's more incentive right now for Cleveland and especially Miami to do something than for the Kings. Miami DESPERATELY needs offensive help to even make the playoffs because of the Wade injury. And their window of championship opportunity is THIS year. No counting on Shaq for next year because of age/injuries. I bet Wade can be ready for the playoffs, but without him and without a big deal I think they won't make it to the big dance. If I were Miami I'd mortgage the future for this year.

tick...tick..tick..tick...

you've got to wonder what Mike Bibby is doing right now. How weird to know that your future is being decided & you don't have anything to do with how it turns out.

tick...tick..tick..tick...

you've got to wonder what Mike Bibby is doing right now. How weird to know that your future is being decided & you don't have anything to do with how it turns out.
Funny you should ask:

Amick -- The waiting game

Mike Bibby was mad, but not about anything regarding his own uncertain status. He was none too thrilled because I wrote in a game story in Wednesday's paper that he was culpable for letting Boston's Delonte West score 19 of his 23 points in the first half. As it turns out, I was the guilty party.

"I was guarding (Rajon) Rondo!" he yelled. "That was Kevin (Martin). How you gonna say that was me?"

Cooler heads quickly prevailed. And if nothing else, I was able to take Bibby's mind off the elephant in the room while he wrapped up morning shoot-a-round in the Verizon Center of our nation's capital. The Kings point guard who is "waiting like everyone else" to see if the Kings do, in fact, trade him in the next two hours (and counting, noon Pacific trade deadline) shared his thoughts on what was a bizarre day for him.

In short, he said it's been made clear that, even if he remains a King, he is not wanted in Sacramento. And that much, Bibby admitted, creates a difficult situation.

"The way things are going, by the direction it looks like they're trying to go in, you kind of expect a trade," Bibby said. "I think they're trying to go in a different direction, and I don't think I'm involved in that direction."
So where would that leave him if they don't do the deal?

"I have no idea," he said. "I don't know where it's going to leave me. I mean I haven't been shooting the ball well this year, and my numbers are slowly
declining in every situation, so you never know if they want you or whatever."
There was no shortage of love for Bibby at the morning practice, with players treating him as if he was a brother on his way out to war. Rookie Quincy Douby shoved Bibby in a playful way, saying "That's my big brother right here," and Bibby said he was about to head off to lunch with the guys who, for now, are his teammates.

"I'm going to go eat with some of the guys right now, and we can talk a little bit because this might be the last time that we ever get to eat like that again for a while," Bibby said. "I'm going to go out and have lunch with the guys and wait, just like everybody else."
- Sam Amick

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/005709.html

Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...F?slug=aw-tradenews022107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

After exhausting the possibility of the involvement of a third team, the Cleveland Cavaliers look like they will be unable to present a package that would land Sacramento Kings point guard Mike Bibby.
Kings general manager Geoff Petrie was unwilling to trade Bibby to Cleveland in a deal that featured forward Drew Gooden.
Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry was determined to show LeBron James that the Cavs are committed to making a move in the Eastern Conference. That's why Ferry was so relentless in his pursuit of Bibby on Wednesday.

Funny you should ask:

Amick -- The waiting game

Mike Bibby was mad, but not about anything regarding his own uncertain status. He was none too thrilled because I wrote in a game story in Wednesday's paper that he was culpable for letting Boston's Delonte West score 19 of his 23 points in the first half. As it turns out, I was the guilty party.

"I was guarding (Rajon) Rondo!" he yelled. "That was Kevin (Martin). How you gonna say that was me?"

Cooler heads quickly prevailed. And if nothing else, I was able to take Bibby's mind off the elephant in the room while he wrapped up morning shoot-a-round in the Verizon Center of our nation's capital. The Kings point guard who is "waiting like everyone else" to see if the Kings do, in fact, trade him in the next two hours (and counting, noon Pacific trade deadline) shared his thoughts on what was a bizarre day for him.

In short, he said it's been made clear that, even if he remains a King, he is not wanted in Sacramento. And that much, Bibby admitted, creates a difficult situation.

"The way things are going, by the direction it looks like they're trying to go in, you kind of expect a trade," Bibby said. "I think they're trying to go in a different direction, and I don't think I'm involved in that direction."
So where would that leave him if they don't do the deal?

"I have no idea," he said. "I don't know where it's going to leave me. I mean I haven't been shooting the ball well this year, and my numbers are slowly
declining in every situation, so you never know if they want you or whatever."
There was no shortage of love for Bibby at the morning practice, with players treating him as if he was a brother on his way out to war. Rookie Quincy Douby shoved Bibby in a playful way, saying "That's my big brother right here," and Bibby said he was about to head off to lunch with the guys who, for now, are his teammates.

"I'm going to go eat with some of the guys right now, and we can talk a little bit because this might be the last time that we ever get to eat like that again for a while," Bibby said. "I'm going to go out and have lunch with the guys and wait, just like everybody else."
- Sam Amick

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/005709.html
Well, there you go. :) And that brings up the next question -- if Bibby doesn't get traded after all of this drama, does anyone really think he'll be productive for the rest of the season? Nothing like feeling like you are not wanted. After reading this, I really hope that a trade pulls together for the sake of all involved.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Well, there you go. :) And that brings up the next question -- if Bibby doesn't get traded after all of this drama, does anyone really think he'll be productive for the rest of the season? Nothing like feeling like you are not wanted. After reading this, I really hope that a trade pulls together for the sake of all involved.

we could use more losses anyways

And then he may leave for free agency... Leaving us with zero... And I wouldn't blame him one bit

At the same time, this is the business. Allen Iverson was almost traded to Detroit, then he put the Sixers on his back and took them to the finals. Bibby is very easily tweaked and his pride injured soooo easily (I mean, come on, he really was guarding West for a lot of the first half of the Boston game), so who knows.

If that's how he really feels I actually hope they do trade him for his sake. This has gotten ridiculous and I can't imagine how he must feel right now, believing that the town wants him gone.

piksi

Hall of Famer
At the same time, this is the business. Allen Iverson was almost traded to Detroit, then he put the Sixers on his back and took them to the finals. Bibby is very easily tweaked and his pride injured soooo easily (I mean, come on, he really was guarding West for a lot of the first half of the Boston game), so who knows.
not even MJ in his prime could get this group to the finals

AmickI 's article just makes me sad. I know it's a business, but it still makes me sad. I'm sure that is one of the reasons why Petrie does not like trade rumors getting out. I think about all the great moments we have had as fans with Bibby. It makes me sad that it has come to this. This is one of the reasons why I HATE midseason trades.

piksi

Hall of Famer
less than hour to go and it is busy around here. Seams like this is more interesting than any Kings since we lost the the Lakers in January

That article actually encapsulates why I wouldn't be sorry at all to see him go. Passing the buck yet again, blaming a teammate, not taking responsibility for his own defense..... I mean, I'll always remember and be thankful for 2002 Bibby, but 2007 Bibby has gotten extremely insufferable.

That article actually encapsulates why I wouldn't be sorry at all to see him go. Passing the buck yet again, blaming a teammate, not taking responsibility for his own defense..... I mean, I'll always remember and be thankful for 2002 Bibby, but 2007 Bibby has gotten extremely insufferable.
That is the supposed "leader" of the team? :rolleyes:

correct if im wrong but wasnt last year's deadline got extended for a some more hours?

Not sure, but don't hold your breath. I think we are set for the rest of the season. Any moves will have to be in the offseason.

I am going to enjoy watching Bibby for the rest of the season when he plays. I hope that he lands somewhere good next year. I hope we get a good draft pick and maybe sign a free agent or two and start rebuilding.