Voisin: Up to Petrie to tidy up the mess of a team

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/106319.html

Ailene Voisin: It is Petrie's chore to tidy up this mess of a Kings team
By Ailene Voisin - Bee Sports Columnist
Last Updated 12:39 am PST Thursday, January 11, 2007

His players are bickering, his young coach appears overwhelmed and Kings season-ticket holders are becoming increasingly disillusioned and distressed by the unimpressive product.

And this is his mess to clean up.

The roster, the lineups, the feuds, the coaching.

The silence inside Arco Arena.

With his Kings plodding along and distancing themselves from the playoffs, Geoff Petrie, as the face of the franchise and its basketball architect, has to come out from behind the curtain. This is no time for secrets. The fan on the street craves reassurance, wants to be persuaded there is still a reason to care, to remain emotionally connected, to believe that team officials are watching the same thing everyone else is -- lengthy stretches of bad, boring basketball -- and planning for a brighter future.

"We had a cycle of being a team that was very good, had a legitimate shot," Petrie said Wednesday, "and we're trying to come back around to that without totally falling off a cliff. Coming into the year, I thought we could compete for a playoff spot again. But we're obviously not playing well enough. At some point you have to call it for what it is."

In other words, the short leash theory applies as we speak. Petrie doesn't make idle threats; he quietly makes dramatic moves. He also needs no reminders about how poor team chemistry corrupts a locker room. The ill-fated Chris Webber experiment, when Rick Adelman returned the hobbled power forward to the starting lineup in March 2004, disrupting a Kings team that held the best record in the league at the time, left scars all over the building.

"It's just a weird dynamic right now," the longtime Kings executive acknowledged.

Collectively, the Kings look like a bunch of grumpy old men who are forced to coexist in a retirement home. There is absolutely nothing embraceable about them. They gripe, they glare. They seldom smile or seem to be having fun, and their individual skills don't appear to be any more compatible than their personalities.

Bibby refuses to push the ball or pass ahead. Ron Artest still launches too many off-balance, ill-advised shots. Brad Miller's performances have been uneven. Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Kenny Thomas remain undersized and inconsistent at power forward. Kevin Martin is ignored on offense and occasionally overwhelmed by the ongoing soap opera. The reserves have been erratic, with the exception of Corliss Williamson. Cisco García is lost and Quincy Douby too seldom utilized. And quality opponents continue to exploit the absence of frontcourt length and athleticism.

"But look at that first half (against the Cavaliers)," Miller insisted. "We do show signs. People were probably going and getting their cocktails, feeling good and feeling like maybe this is the (breakout) game."

Were the Kings to exert themselves for 48 minutes instead of, say, every other half or so, they undoubtedly would be competing for a postseason berth, delaying Petrie's anticipated offseason makeover and treating their fans to nightly bouts of entertainment. A few more dunks and breakout baskets wouldn't be so bad, either, though coach Eric Musselman would be forced to bench some of his sluggish veterans -- which he has been reluctant to do -- and turn the youngsters loose while living with their mistakes.

It could come to that, Petrie pressing Musselman to alter his rotations to better evaluate the younger players. And there could be worse developments. Energy and effort are rewarded at the box office, if not to the extent of the old days.

Indeed, as Kings fans arrive later and leave earlier, their frustration is exacerbated by the same bottom line as everywhere else: outrageous NBA ticket prices that erode the goodwill that spanned the seasons -- both the good and the bad. It's much more palatable to watch a Quincy Douby stumble through the maturation process when the sticker price doesn't exclude significant segments of the population. Or when you can afford the beer.

Ultimately, Petrie will make his moves. He acquired the highly paid Bibby and Miller. He determined that the Abdur- Rahim/Thomas tandem was adequate up front. He agreed to the Artest trade and acquiesced on the firing of Adelman, then selected the young, second-time-around Musselman as a replacement, declining interest in Don Nelson, P.J. Carlesimo or some other more-seasoned coach.

So this is his mess to clean up.

Based on his history, the mop is within reach.

About the writer: Reach Ailene Voisin at (916) 321-1208 or avoisin@sacbee.com

Don't know if I should be, but I feel a bit more upbeat about the chances that Petrie will try to do something after reading this. At least he acknowledged that the team has shortcomings and a weird vibe. You can't do anything about a problem until you concede you have one.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This is actually one of the best columns I've seen from Voisin in quite a while. She's hit on the majority of complaints we've been voicing, even if she does show more apparent faith in Petrie's ability than a lot of folks around here.

There are a lot of things in there - and between the lines - that pretty much define the scope of the problem. We know it, Voisin knows it, the team knows it. We can only hope Petrie not only knows it but is actively pushing forward his timetable for solving it.

gunks

Hall of Famer
"We had a cycle of being a team that was very good, had a legitimate shot," Petrie said Wednesday, "and we're trying to come back around to that without totally falling off a cliff. Coming into the year, I thought we could compete for a playoff spot again. But we're obviously not playing well enough. At some point you have to call it for what it is."

That quote makes me feel better then all of Petrie's "our frontcourt is fine" lines he was spouting early on in the season.

Seems like he's finally aknowledging the fact that this team has a problem.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
That is the most fundamentally objective article she has ever written. Every item in it summarizes the reality of the Kings situation. Amazing how good an article she can write by staying away from the finger pointing.

A sobering reality: big changes may need to be made.

Lets hope poor Justin Williams get thrown in the breach on Friday. Time to see what he might be able to do in the next 7 or 8 days. KT and SAR need to get upgraded-replaced. Mo Taylor may be one such body but they are still missing 1-2 pieces.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Mo Taylor is not an ugrade over KT, SAR or pretty much anyone else. But at least he's been trying over the last few, which sets him apart for the moment.

As an aside, people may be getting a little overexctied about Geoff's coment there -- I'm pretty sure he said something vaguely similar last month at some point about being forced to call it for what it was or recognizing it for what it was or some such. And then...nothing. At least this one sounds a little more thought out and grounded rather than forced.

And he of course also doesn't say what he's going to do or thinks he's going to do, leaving open all the normal possibilities for quick fixes and treading water. Just suck it up and "fall off that cliff" already Geoff. Sooner we hit bottom, sooner we can start climbing back up the other side.

The hen has oodled. It is time for change.
:D

Last edited:
two words for you petrie...GET REAL!!!

Mo Taylor is not an ugrade over KT, SAR or pretty much anyone else. But at least he's been trying over the last few, which sets him apart for the moment.

As an aside, people may be getting a little overexctied about Geoff's coment there -- I'm pretty sure he said something vaguely similar last month at some point about being forced to call it for what it was or recognizing it for what it was or some such. And then...nothing. At least this one sounds a little more thought out and grounded rather than forced.

And he of course also doesn't say what he's going to do or thinks he's going to do, leaving open all the normal possibilities for quick fixes and treading water. Just suck it up and "fall off that cliff" already Geoff. Sooner we hit bottom, sooner we can start climbing back up the other side.

:D
you are 100% correct.

The hen has oodled. It is time for change.
The only thing constant in this world is change. We need it in a big way and it looks like the organization and fans know it is needed. Just because we are agreeing need change, we still have to have a deal that gets us there and GP has to convince the other GM to sign the deal (takes 2 to tango). ;)

Articles like this along with other statements made by Petrie make me think change is coming sooner than later.

All indicators point to a "Blow up the Clown Scenario" versus a "tweaking." At least in my mind.;)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Articles like this along with other statements made by Petrie make me think change is coming sooner than later.

All indicators point to a "Blow up the Clown Scenario" versus a "tweaking." At least in my mind.;)
At this point I hope so.

Out of curiousity, does anyone else think Shareef might be gone come the trade deadline?? He just hasn't been as productive as he was last season. I'm not sure what's up with him but he's been struggling big time. Not sure if it's because he's not comfortable at the spot he's been having to play becauase of our lack of big guys or if it's just a personal struggle with him. But his lack of productivity lately, as much as I like the guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he was gone in a deal with a couple other guys, in exchange for a bigger guy. If not that, then being pushed further down the bench.

Bravo!.. This is the best article i have read in a long time!!!
Yea I usually can't stand her, but this article, aside from a few small points she made, I really respected her opinions and what she had to say because I think, as of late, most of Sacramento would agree with her.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That is, if Mr. Geoff even does anything.

What the heck are we supposed to do then? Remain the jokes of the NBA? :(
Pretty much every single team in the NBA has gone through something similar. Sorry, but I don't think we're the "joke of the NBA" ...

the kings might not be very good this year, but they are far from the "jokes of the NBA"

that title is being duked out for by altanta and the 76ers IMO

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
the kings might not be very good this year, but they are far from the "jokes of the NBA"

that title is being duked out for by altanta and the 76ers IMO
Given the prize waiting at the end of the rainbow for those teams, we might be wll advised to become "jokes" ourselves stat. 3 months of pain = Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Brandon Wright for those "joke teams". By all accounts there may be one or more franchise/HOF type talents lurking in that list. 3 months isn't too much to pay for a guy who anchors the franchise for the next 15 years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Given the prize waiting at the end of the rainbow for those teams, we might be wll advised to become "jokes" ourselves stat. 3 months of pain = Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Brandon Wright for those "joke teams". By all accounts there may be one or more franchise/HOF type talents lurking in that list. 3 months isn't too much to pay for a guy who anchors the franchise for the next 15 years.
And I'm to the point where I'd have no problem with that, IF they would just come out and announce that's what they're going to do.

Light the fuse ...

Let's tank, but please don't look like you are going to win and then just lose it at the end like with the recent LAL and Portland games, that was just mean, especially at home to a record setting sellout crowd game in and game out! :p

And I'm to the point where I'd have no problem with that, IF they would just come out and announce that's what they're going to do.

Light the fuse ...
Do teams ever admit they are tanking for the up coming draft. You know some teams do it. The problem is we have gotten to the 1st round barely and then are out, also GP has such a fantasy about combo guards, granted we pick late in the round, but come on! This year if we don't come away with a BIG, I'm sure we'll all be mad in a BIG way!!!

Last edited:
I am NEVER in favoring of "tanking" a season. It is way too easy for losing to become the norm and hard to brake. More than that, I find it insulting as a fan and would hope that the players have more individual character than to lose on purpose. Sucking beacause the assembled team simply is not good enough is one thing. Sucking on purpose is another matter all together. That is probably the ONE thing that could make me stop supporting this team.

That being said, I am all for rebuilding. You do not have to lose on purpose to do that.

I am NEVER in favoring of "tanking" a season. It is way too easy for losing to become the norm and hard to brake. More than that, I find it insulting as a fan and would hope that the players have more individual character than to lose on purpose. Sucking beacause the assembled team simply is not good enough is one thing. Sucking on purpose is another matter all together. That is probably the ONE thing that could make me stop supporting this team.

That being said, I am all for rebuilding. You do not have to lose on purpose to do that.
I think that's what everyone means by tank. To achieve that though, Petrie shall need to convert some of our vets for expiring contracts and picks. Easier said than done though.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well we, the Kings fans, probably don't think that but if you look on other boards they're sure doing their job making fun of us. :mad:
I honestly couldn't possibly care less what some anonymous people on other message boards think. If they're making fun of Kings fans, then they probably don't understand much about the NBA. Why even respond?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I agree. There is a big difference between intentionally losing (tanking) and playing your young players and rebuilding. Rebuilding, to me, implies making the trades you have to do in preparation to acquire through draft or free agency the pieces you need to move your team forward.

Either way, the team has to do something. One of the few things everyone on this board can agree with is the present situation is unacceptable.

i agree having the players lose on purpose is not a good thing, but i'm baffled why people are always so timid to admit out loud that losses are important in the rebuilding process.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
i agree having the players lose on purpose is not a good thing, but i'm baffled why people are always so timid to admit out loud that losses are important in the rebuilding process.
Losses are important in the rebuilding process.

There. Feel better?

Although I have to admit it's not something I would have said on my own. I might have said "losses are a necessary evil when you're rebuilding" ...