The Ideal, Practical Big Man for this Team

Denver tried shopping Nene to everyone under the sun this past week trying to get an expiring contract, so the Kings must not have been interested. I like Nene, but with his injury history and insane contract I don't think it's a good combination. Better to go after Verejao or Darko in the event Bibby opts out.
Den may have called the Kings, but why Phi would want Williamson over Miller? Miller is a very good PG, and if they want there's a market for him (Milwaukee for example). But now it's Denver taking any expiring, they can't absorb all that salaries.

Den may have called the Kings, but why Phi would want Williamson over Miller? Miller is a very good PG, and if they want there's a market for him (Milwaukee for example). But now it's Denver taking any expiring, they can't absorb all that salaries.
Philadelphia would have preferred Williamson because he's an expiring contract and they're trying to build cap room. Denver tried really hard to get Portland and Chicago to take on Nene for their expiring contracts, I'm guessing they gave the Kings a call as well.

Last edited:
May I ask how you know this for certain, nbrans?
Oops, should have said "I'm guessing" they called the Kings (I'll edit).

As for the Chicago/Portland stuff, I'm going based on published reports by David Aldridge, who seems to have been more on top of this than anyone else (and who broke the news of the final deal).

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/16243344.htm

As for Philly wanting expirings, Aldridge talks about it here:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16270203.htm

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Umm...so why would the Kings sink $60 million into this guy again? He also doesn't score and he isn't a particularly good passer. No thanks.

Um..?

Actually he is precisely a scorer, or potentially one. A rare bonafide 6'11" physical post player. And his ball skills are actually what made me start paying attention -- last time he was healthy he was flashing things that reminded me of a certain PF we used to have -- good hands too. But only flashes of course. Ditto rebounding/shotblocking. Last healthy season he had made major strides in those areas and looked to be ready to be decent, if not spectacular. But then he got hurt, has stayed hurt, and so who knows at this point. In any case, Denver didn't drop $10mil on him because they thought he looked good. It was because there was a market and competition (although I have to believe more at $8mil than $10) because the guy looked like a future starter/interior scorer.

In any case that contract is the thing now. When he was still on his rookie deal, teams would have killed to land a 6'11" big man who likes to work inside on offense. Now at $10 mil that is a heck of risk.

As an aside -- Varejao reminds me a bit of Pollard. Will never be a star or top starter, but a high energy bencher. Darko is confusing. Has all the size, blocks shots, and has the potential. But if somebody drops $10mil on him you are again on shaky ground until he shows more. Nonetheless I'd take all three guys in a heartbeat over our current frontcourt trio -- at least it would be fun watching to see if they developed.

Um..?

Actually he is precisely a scorer, or potentially one. A rare bonafide 6'11" physical post player. And his ball skills are actually what made me start paying attention -- last time he was healthy he was flashing things that reminded me of a certain PF we used to have -- good hands too. But only flashes of course. Ditto rebounding/shotblocking. Last healthy season he had made major strides in those areas and looked to be ready to be decent, if not spectacular. But then he got hurt, has stayed hurt, and so who knows at this point. In any case, Denver didn't drop $10mil on him because they thought he looked good. It was because there was a market and competition (although I have to believe more at $8mil than $10) because the guy looked like a future starter/interior scorer.
Career high of 11.8 points and 6.5 rebounds. Double his minutes this season and he's at about the same level of production. The guy's production has never matched this potential people keep talking about.

That being said, I'd certainly rather have Nene than Kenny Thomas, assuming Nene didn't have that insane $60 million deal.

I agree that Gadzuric would be a good pick-up for the Kings. He's not the savior, of course, but he would give us the shot-blocking and rebounding focus that we desperately need right now. I wouldn't give up any of our starters to get him - except for KT.
I don't think Nene would give us any of those things that Gadzuric would bring to the table, but he would give us a low post presence for about 10-20 games a year.
A couple of other guys that are in the same mold as Gadzuric are Jason Collins (Nets) and Joel Pryzbilla (Blazers). I'd give any one of them 30 min/game for the rest of the season and see what develops.

I agree that Gadzuric would be a good pick-up for the Kings. He's not the savior, of course, but he would give us the shot-blocking and rebounding focus that we desperately need right now. I wouldn't give up any of our starters to get him - except for KT.
I don't think Nene would give us any of those things that Gadzuric would bring to the table, but he would give us a low post presence for about 10-20 games a year.
A couple of other guys that are in the same mold as Gadzuric are Jason Collins (Nets) and Joel Pryzbilla (Blazers). I'd give any one of them 30 min/game for the rest of the season and see what develops.
Collins is on the trading block as the Nets are looking for a PF.

collins brings us he's interior defense but nothing else....

but he's interior defense is pretty darn good and i guess itb be good since we desperately need it... not really a lane clogger and shot blocker... not really gonna help bibby out...

very very good roleplayer though....

Last edited:
Collins is irrelevant. If we trade Thomas to NJ I prefer get McInnis+Moore+Boone, at least we get a young PF and two expirings who would have a role as a back up PG and back up C.

And what about Nene? Denver is looking for the expirings of another team for trade for Iverson, and I think Nene would be a good fit here.
I would rather seen the Kings go after Darko Milicic if they are going to spend $60 mil. on a big man.. I would be afraid of Nene with his knee problem for that kind of money..
Dan Gadzuric would be a good pick-up, but not the total answer...

I would rather seen the Kings go after Darko Milicic if they are going to spend $60 mil. on a big man.
Milicic has surprised me with his shotblocking ability. (I guess I imagined him as another Vlade...)
Because his career got off to a slow start, most people just write him off now. But he's someone I would consider if I were GP.
What would Orlando want for him? They're in first place in their division, so they're probably not feeling any desperation right now.

Pau Gasol is the ideal big man for the Kings that could be attainable. He's a 20/10 threat each night that can pass and block shots. He's unselfish and is only 26ish years old. If we can land him at the deadline or sooner(if he becomes available, which he could), I say DO IT....

I would pay for the limo to pick Gasol up if that wish came true, but I just don't see it happening. Who do we have that memphis would take for Gasol from a realistic point of view?

I would pay for the limo to pick Gasol up if that wish came true, but I just don't see it happening. Who do we have that memphis would take for Gasol from a realistic point of view?
We potentially have 25 million in expirings, a cheap serviceable replacement in SAR and can take back their bad contracts known as Brian Cardinal(who excelled under Muss) and Stromile Swift.

We potentially have 25 million in expirings, a cheap serviceable replacement in SAR and can take back their bad contracts known as Brian Cardinal(who excelled under Muss) and Stromile Swift.

Didn't Gasol say that he wanted to play for a contender though? Don't get me wrong, I would do this in a heartbeat, but I'm just wondering if Gasol would be happy here.

How about Zaza Pachulia on the Atlanta Hawks? He's young, plays defense, rebounds, scores, and shoots free throws at a high percentage. He's got a very cheap contract as well. I'd trade anyone but Kevin Martin to get him.

How about Zaza Pachulia on the Atlanta Hawks? He's young, plays defense, rebounds, scores, and shoots free throws at a high percentage. He's got a very cheap contract as well. I'd trade anyone but Kevin Martin to get him.
He makes Brad Miller look like Dikembe Mutombo on defense. He's not a defensive presence at all.

He makes Brad Miller look like Dikembe Mutombo on defense. He's not a defensive presence at all.
I didn't say he was great at defense, but he's got quicker feet than Brad. I don't think anyone can make Brad Miller look like Dikembe Mutombo. I haven't seen Zaza Pachulia play much, but going by the stats he's comparable or better than Brad, 8 years younger, and makes less than half of what Brad makes. He's a better offensive rebounder and gets more steals compared to other players at his position. If the Kings want to start from scratch and rebuild the frontcourt, they are going to have to spend money on 1 guy (maybe Darko?) and get another guy (Pachulia or whoever) for cheap. At least one of them should rebound and/or block shots.