Bee: Webber wants out of Philadelphia

Frustrated Webber wants out of Philadelphia

By Scott Howard-Cooper - Bee Staff Writer

Last Updated 1:15 pm PST Thursday, November 16, 2006
Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Chris Webber, frustrated by an increasingly reduced role, says he wants to be traded by the Philadelphia 76ers rather than continue as a second-half bit player.
"I'm not going to keep playing like this," Webber said after scoring six points in 23 minutes in Philadelphia's 96-90 victory Wednesday night in Seattle.
Webber said he has talked to 76ers management and made his feelings clear.

"I don't like this role," he said. "So, you can take that however you want."
The former Kings All-Star power forward, traded from Sacramento to Philadelphia in February 2005, is averaging just 30.6 minutes, a drop from the 38.6 in his first season with the 76ers. Spending the entire fourth quarter the bench on a 4-3 team has become common place.
Webber is especially frustrated because he feels he has made great strides in recovering from the knee injury that shadowed the end of his time with the Kings.
He said during training camp, that he was in his best shape since the surgery, only to get off to a very slow start of shooting 37.4 percent the first seven games.
Said 76ers coach Maurice Cheeks when asked if Webber is having a tough adjustment: "I'm sure. But this is a team game and we're trying to treat it as such. We're not trying to put a lot of individual things on what we're trying to do. I certainly understand it's hard. It's a difficult situation. But we're trying to do this as a team and not break it down."
[/FONT]

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/78321.html

Before people start making the inevitable "let's trade Corliss and KT for Webber" jokes, I have one question -- aren't the Sixers 4-3 and playing decent basketball?

He obviously won't come to play in Sacramento again,but they might trade him to some other team...Maybe to Hornets for West or Chandler,so then it would be C-Webb,Peja and B-Jax triangle:D

The day webber went down in dallas was the end of his career... when are people going to realize it? noone will take webber... he is worthless. he brought our franchise from nothing to greatness... then he tore it down... but Ron is here... thank God

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The day webber went down in dallas was the end of his career... when are people going to realize it? noone will take webber... he is worthless. he brought our franchise from nothing to greatness... then he tore it down... but Ron is here... thank God
He tore our franchise down?

Please elaborate.

I honestly think that parts of this arictle are exaggerated as Webber never demanded a trade if he wasn't going to get more minutes. According the philly.com and the Philaedphia Inquirer, he is dissapointed with his new role and has talked to management but there is no indication of any sort of a trade request or threat.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Before people start making the inevitable "let's trade Corliss and KT for Webber" jokes, I have one question -- aren't the Sixers 4-3 and playing decent basketball?
About how they started out last year too.

But regardless, I think trade talk of us trading for Webber is just about impossible. Ship has sailed. Too many hard feelings. Too much Maloofs I suspect too. And the coach and system where he was a difference maker have changed and there's no telling how he and Muss get along with Muss's philosophy.

Now that said, ignoring the unlikeliness of it all, you know what could be a brilliant move in a cracked sort of way? No, not Corliss, Pot, KT etc. -- we've endured too long a stretch of fanbase sapping mediocrity to give up those enders now for anything less than the future. But rather than that package, this one: Brad Miller + KT for Webb. It works salarywise, although nudging us into the tax threshold without some tinkering around the edges (maybe toss in our unused Douby as a young mini-Iverson, back to his old haunts (played at Rutgers) for a fikrst round pick as well?). And here would be the beauty: you keep all our current enders, AND get Webb's giant ender next year. Meawhile you liquidate two big contracts that otherwise run until 2011, and the Webb/SAR frontline, while not ideal, should be at least as effective as SAR/KT or SAR/Miller. But its the lure of clearing up our cap, having the room to not only sign Ron, sign Kevin, but also make a splash with a major free agent to boot that makes that an interesting thought. At the end of next year our only contracts could be Bibby (assuming he does not opt out and leave, but now we have room to easily handle that), SAR, Salmons and Cisco, total of about $25mil.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Now that said, ignoring the unlikeliness of it all, you know what could be a brilliant move in a cracked sort of way? No, not Corliss, Pot, KT etc. -- we've endured too long a stretch of fanbase sapping mediocrity to give up those enders now for anything less than the future. But rather than that package, this one: Brad Miller + KT for Webb. It works salarywise, although nudging us into the tax threshold without some tinkering around the edges (maybe toss in our unused Douby as a young mini-Iverson, back to his old haunts (played at Rutgers) for a fikrst round pick as well?). And here would be the beauty: you keep all our current enders, AND get Webb's giant ender next year. Meawhile you liquidate two big contracts that otherwise run until 2011, and the Webb/SAR frontline, while not ideal, should be at least as effective as SAR/KT or SAR/Miller. But its the lure of clearing up our cap, having the room to not only sign Ron, sign Kevin, but also make a splash with a major free agent to boot that makes that an interesting thought. At the end of next year our only contracts could be Bibby (assuming he does not opt out and leave, but now we have room to easily handle that), SAR, Salmons and Cisco, total of about $25mil.

As tempting as that might sound - and it does sound tempting - I cannot see it happening for a variety of reasons. And I don't think I want to see it happen. Just too much baggage at this point and, as you've touched upon, way too much water under the bridge.

But regardless, I think trade talk of us trading for Webber is just about impossible. Ship has sailed. Too many hard feelings. Too much Maloofs I suspect too. And the coach and system where he was a difference maker have changed and there's no telling how he and Muss get along with Muss's philosophy.

Believe it or not I was thinking about this too, and it crossed my mind that this news was broken by the Bee for a reason. I think you're severely undervaluing Miller above, but at the same time there are cap issues.

But I'd only do it under these conditions:

1) Webber stops acting like a crybaby. No more complaining about roles, just take whatever role the coach gives you.
2) Philadelphia throws in Steven Hunter (Kings are going to need a 7 footer of some sort)
3) Philadelphia throws in at least an unprotected first round pick. Preferably two picks, one protected one unprotected.

It leaves you with this trade:

Chris Webber, Steven Hunter, Unprotected 1st Round (hopefully 2)

for

Miller, Kenny Thomas, Potapenko, Douby/Garcia/Price

But I still see no reason for Philadelphia to do that. Basically I reached the conclusion that any trade that would remotely make sense from a Kings perspective makes no sense from a Philadelphia perspective.

And I'm not sad. The ship sailed. Better to have him demanding trades and refusing to change for Philadelphia than Sacramento.

Last edited:
Please don't get traded before December 2..

Please oh please oh please play in that game or I would've wasted 2 $100 tickets... :(

Bad, Bad, Bad idea. You are giving up way too much for C-webb. I would not take C-webb on an even trade with K9. K9 is better at this point. I know this will make people go crazy, but it is true.

K9 offers above average defensive skills. Webber basically cannot move side-to-side anymore and is unable to guard just about anyone. Our defense would get tourched with Webber on the floor because we would basically be playing 4 on 5. He can still shoot, but we have enough people to shoot.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Believe it or not I was thinking about this too, and it crossed my mind that this news was broken by the Bee for a reason. I think you're severely undervaluing Miller above, but at the same time there are cap issues.

But I'd only do it under these conditions:

1) Webber stops acting like a crybaby. No more complaining about roles, just take whatever role the coach gives you.
2) Philadelphia throws in Steven Hunter (Kings are going to need a 7 footer of some sort)
3) Philadelphia throws in at least an unprotected first round pick.

It leaves you with this trade:

Chris Webber, Steven Hunter, Unprotected 1st Round

for

Miller, Kenny Thomas, Potapenko, Douby/Garcia/Price

But I still see no reason for Philadelphia to do that. Basically I reached the conclusion that any trade that would remotely make sense from a Kings perspective makes no sense from a Philadelphia perspective.

And I'm not sad. The ship sailed. Better to have him demanding trades and refusing to change for Philadelphia than Sacramento.
The news was "broken" by the Bee, as you put it, because anything Chris Webber says, does, thinks or even dreams about is reported, nbrans.

Don't go reading too much into it.

We are NOT going to trade for Chris Webber. And I would put a year's salary on it. The ship not only sailed, the Maloofs made their decision and they're not going to go back at this point.

Love the way you have to inject some player bashing into your comments, and those of some who still cannot let it go. THAT is the main reason I would not want Webber even to have to face some of the Sacramento fans. He did too much for this franchise to be treated that way, whether you like him or not.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Anyone want to wager on how long it will take for this thread to dissolve into nothing but player hate?

:(

The news was "broken" by the Bee, as you put it, because anything Chris Webber says, does, thinks or even dreams about is reported, nbrans.

Don't go reading too much into it.

We are NOT going to trade for Chris Webber. And I would put a year's salary on it. The ship not only sailed, the Maloofs made their decision and they're not going to go back at this point.

Love the way you have to inject some player bashing into your comments, and those of some who still cannot let it go. THAT is the main reason I would not want Webber even to have to face some of the Sacramento fans. He did too much for this franchise to be treated that way, whether you like him or not.
This came as a result of a conversation with the Sacramento Bee. The alert email said "Webber told the Sacramento Bee X." It was a specific conversation. It's not like someone overheard him talking to his grandma.

And I really didn't intend to "player bash" Webber. I have respect for him and appreciate what he's done. I didn't call him a crybaby, I said he's acting like a crybaby. I don't see how that's player bashing.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bad, Bad, Bad idea. You are giving up way too much for C-webb. I would not take C-webb on an even trade with K9. K9 is better at this point. I know this will make people go crazy, but it is true.

K9 offers above average defensive skills. Webber basically cannot move side-to-side anymore and is unable to guard just about anyone. Our defense would get tourched with Webber on the floor because we would basically be playing 4 on 5. He can still shoot, but we have enough people to shoot.
K9 offers the unique ability to clean lint out of the bellybuttons of most of the players he guards with his tongue while standing straight up. This virtually precludes anything approaching impact defense. And the day K9 is better than Webber will be the day they lay Webb in the ground.

Fact is K9 is untradeable -- and its not because he's better than Chris Webber on a $6mil deal. The ONLY way you cash out that contract and get back to being serious about your frontline is find somebody desperate to move a piece. Cash him out along with Brad's contract for a big ender attached to a guy who went 20-10 last year and you get reasonable short term value for your assets, and then once the big contract expires a chance to TRULY rebuild with full size young players with a future.

Last edited:
K9 offers the unique ability to clean lint out of the bellybuttons of most of the players he guards with his tongue while standing straight up. This virtually precludes anything approaching impact defense. And the day K9 is better than Webber will be the day they lay Webb in the ground.
:rolleyes: I'm done....this will just get real stupid, real fast.

Chris Webber is being benched in the 4th Quarter in favor of Steven Hunter and Samuel Dalembert. It may just be a flukey start by Webber, but the day KT is better has already come.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Mark it on your clendars ladies and gentlemen. Brick and I agree. Webber is worth Brad and KT. Now we have a is Sar a better center than Brad thread. Well i doubt it but, Webber would be a better Center for us than Brad and SAR at PF would be very nice. I garuntee if you ask any player on the kings team who they would want SAR and Chris or KT and Brad it would definetley be SAR and Webb. And like brick said. You have Corlis, Pot, and Hart coming off and then Webb coming off after next season. Still with Bibby, Martin, Artest to build around with roughly an extra 20mil a year to bait somebody in. mmmm it sounds as tastey as my famous olive oil potatoes.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Chris Webber is being benched in the 4th Quarter in favor of Steven Hunter and Samuel Dalembert. It may just be a flukey start by Webber, but the day KT is better has already come.
Except for scoring, I'd have to agree with this. And I think KT's "D" is much better at this point.

That said, I would still probably do the trade for the ending contracts and make a splash next year.

piksi

Hall of Famer
right now CW and his contract has as much value as Potapenko. Sad but true. I think that it would be easier to trade KT than CW and KT is virtualy untradable

right now CW and his contract has as much value as Potapenko. Sad but true. I think that it would be easier to trade KT than CW and KT is virtualy untradable
right now...you're probably right. but 'right now' is largely irrelevant to teams trying to improve in the long run. chris webber's contract is gonna be incredibly valuable very very soon. that's why the sixers probably won't look to trade him just yet. after next season, his 7-year, $122 million contract will have officially expired. that contract was backloaded, of course, so about $22 million will be coming off the books for the sixers if they decide not to trade him. if they do decide to trade him, some lucky team is gonna be a MAJOR player in the free agent market.

i dunno somehow i just cant see webber falling in line behind ron ron and bibby. you can have too many generals on a team at some point and i think webber would put us there. beside web cant switch a screen to save his life at this point.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This came as a result of a conversation with the Sacramento Bee. The alert email said "Webber told the Sacramento Bee X." It was a specific conversation. It's not like someone overheard him talking to his grandma.
Actually it was probably a conversation at Webb's new club. I seriously doubt - considering how the Bee treated Webber in the past - that they would be on his short call list or anything.

And I really didn't intend to "player bash" Webber. I have respect for him and appreciate what he's done. I didn't call him a crybaby, I said he's acting like a crybaby. I don't see how that's player bashing.
Different perspectives, I suppose.

i dunno somehow i just cant see webber falling in line behind ron ron and bibby. you can have too many generals on a team at some point and i think webber would put us there. beside web cant switch a screen to save his life at this point.
Bibby's already shown that he's not alpha-dog material (or I should say, he doesn't want to be alpha dog material).

The trade that Brick mentioned looks good, and even if there's all that baggage around...so what? At best, you have a good talent back and if it all gels then there's the potential for something great. At worst, it all falls to pot the way it seems to be tending to now, and you have that salary coming off the books to retool again. I think that the value of the expiring contract makes it worth the gamble. Heck, they rolled the dice with much less upside when they traded him in the first place...

right now...you're probably right. but 'right now' is largely irrelevant to teams trying to improve in the long run. chris webber's contract is gonna be incredibly valuable very very soon. that's why the sixers probably won't look to trade him just yet. after next season, his 7-year, $122 million contract will have officially expired. that contract was backloaded, of course, so about $22 million will be coming off the books for the sixers if they decide not to trade him. if they do decide to trade him, some lucky team is gonna be a MAJOR player in the free agent market.

That's very true, and that's what a lot of us said at the time of the trade. That contract becomes a huge asset very soon & we will still be stuck with KT. :(

some lucky team is gonna be a MAJOR player in the free agent market.
Only if there is a QUALITY free agent who decides not to resign with his current team. The chance of landing a SUPER STAR free agent even when your under the cap is still small. THE current CBA encourages FA's to stay with their current team. So, expiring contracts are not as valuable as they were prior to the new CBA.

Being under the cap does allow you to add those high impact bench players, the quality MLE type guys who you would not normally be able to sign.