Grade our Off-season so far

What would you Grade our off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • B

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • D

Votes: 45 31.9%
  • F

Votes: 16 11.3%

• Total voters
It's a C minus (71%). Loren Woods was a waste of money. I'd rather see a Amundsen-Williams combo sharing Woods' minutes instead of an underachieving 7 foot 2 inch toothpick on the floor.

Salmons is an overpriced DeShawn Stevenson. We should have gone after DeShawn instead... less than a million a year and he's from California! Petrie got taken to the cleaners on the Salmons signing.

I'm sure Petrie tried to upgrade the frontcourt via trade, but would you take on KT's contract and bad attitude?

Drafting Douby was a good move for the future. Great shooter. If we have to make a trade down the line and had to include Garcia in a deal, I can see Douby stepping in his shoes without a problem.

I liked Mario Elie over Musselman, but I'm not too disappointed in the decision to go with Muss.

I liked the rookie FA signings.

Still need to get rid of Hart and KT.

Last edited:
Because being objective sometimes does not fit well with some of the Fan base. it's better to give out you're honest opinion i could've easily given our Off-season grade a big fat "F" but i decided to put something that will make people realize that i'm being honest enough and kind enough to make our Off-season look half-decent even though realistically we deserve a D or a F.
You obviously haven't heard of the "bell curve" grading system. It's a system where college professors adjust the grades based on the individual class. In any class, just like TDOS, you have a few winners, a few losers, and a whole bunch in the middle. I graded us with a C, right in the middle of the bell curve. We didn't do better than half the teams, we didn't do worse than half the teams.
With that said, the pathetic draft/free agency this year made it incredibly hard for any team to achieve most of their goals let alone half of them. At least Petrie tried to make us better. You can't just expect the Kings to go out and get KG and Ben Wallace. And as much as you may want the Maloofs to open up the pocketbooks and pay the LT, it just isn't going to happen. What is done is done and it is time for us as kingsfans to move on and get ready for the season.

We have a new coach, with which we will embark on a new era. Lets embrace the new era.

Go Kings.

I picked C - I was very saddened by the loss of Rick and completely depressed over Bonzi (whom I adored)... Kevin, Francisco and of course Artest are my bright stars and have shown even in the off-season...on everything else I reserve judgement.

I say C+ because i saw alot of sixers games in philly (i live here) and salmons looks like a great player when he get's the oppurtunity.Also Loren Woods is a great rebounder/shot blocker and can help down low. Eric Mussellman is defense first and that can help us a lot. And also Mike Bibby is claiming he lost weight this offseason and that he is a lot quicker now.

I gave it some thought and settled on a D.

An F would have been the knee jerk, overdramatic response, but not apt as I've always thought that full on failure requires a certain amount of effort. More appropriate to describe a situation in which it appears someone was trying really hard to **** everything up and make it worse.

The D, however, suggests what is closer to the truth this summer -- coasting. Hoping to skate through on good enough and missing the mark, ever so slightly.

walker60 said:
No need to be kind...just vote how you feel...
I love the Kings to much, to put a F for them i wanna pretend we atleast had a half-decent off-season. it's a shame i have to pretend but its hard for me to call this Organization a failure.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I love the Kings to much, to put a F for them i wanna pretend we atleast had a half-decent off-season. it's a shame i have to pretend but its hard for me to call this Organization a failure.
??????

Aren't you getting just a tad overdramatic? The organization is FAR from a failure.

VF21 said:
??????

Aren't you getting just a tad overdramatic? The organization is FAR from a failure.
There not a bad failure but they have failed to pull deals this summer to improve us significantly.

i expected more in the off-season like i said many times it is what it is.

Perhaps your expectations were unrealistic?

I'm not jumping for joy with this off-season, but with so many changes I will wait until how the mix comes out before grading it. Other than educated guesses, I'm not sure many of us if any, truely knows what "it is" yet.

I'm not jumping for joy with this off-season, but with so many changes I will wait until how the mix comes out before grading it. Other than educated guesses, I'm not sure many of us if any, truely knows what "it is" yet.
sure we do. this is not an episode of unsolved mysteries. "it" = interior defense & rebounding. neither was addressed this offseason (once again), so people are going to be upset. when the kings resolve those two incredibly key issues, then they will be on their way to elite status again. at the very least, they'd be able to put some distance between themselves and the other middling teams in the western conference.

whozit said:

I never even thought about a Blockbuster trade this summer that brings us KG, JO or a Superstar. but i did perhaps have a expectation that we would somehow land a Solid player that can Bonzi Wells not John Salmons caliber player.

and the other issue is Loren Woods which has been the big talk of the Summer so far....

i'm not sure what direction we're headed to but at this point i doubt the Organization has a clue. the moves they have done this Off-season makes me think that.

I voted D as well. I couldn't convince myself anything better is justified, and don't think it was so miserable as to earn an F. However, I do think we are in for a very long season and are not as good as many on this board think we are.

I also had to vote D. I think this team can still make the playoffs, especially if Kevin can step up the way many of us are hoping he will(it's still not a given though), but I would have felt a lot better about our chances if we had addressed the frontcourt issue or landed a better player than Salmons with nearly our whole MLE. We just seemed to pile up swingmen at the 2 spot... both through the draft and free agency, when we had a few good ones already, and had glaring weaknesses at other positions. Not really sure what Geoff was trying to accomplish, but to be honest I haven't understood many of the moves he's made over the last year and a half...

We will have fun trying to make the playoffs. If anything, our interior defense will kill us the most. Woods was an ok signing, but he just doesn't fit the bill. Personally, if we get anywhere near a 5 or 6 seed, the Kings should consider themselves lucky. We are better than average, but have not done enough to be put into the elite or the best teams category as of yet. Trades are a possibility, but I am not couting on it. Williamson, Hart and Pot are all gone next year and hopefully Petrie can get some solid players next summer. This year is a transition year, were the players get used to Muss and with themselves more. Next season, look for the Kings to make some serious noise (at least, i am hoping).

Sac.Kings said:
We will have fun trying to make the playoffs. If anything, our interior defense will kill us the most. Woods was an ok signing, but he just doesn't fit the bill. Personally, if we get anywhere near a 5 or 6 seed, the Kings should consider themselves lucky. We are better than average, but have not done enough to be put into the elite or the best teams category as of yet. Trades are a possibility, but I am not couting on it. Williamson, Hart and Pot are all gone next year and hopefully Petrie can get some solid players next summer. This year is a transition year, were the players get used to Muss and with themselves more. Next season, look for the Kings to make some serious noise (at least, i am hoping).
I'm not sure we can waste ourselfs to see a transition year. but if it met good things for the next year then i'm okay i guess. but its gonna be pretty tough to make the playoffs and no not because of Nellie returning to GS but overall we have not improved much if at all.

Our acquisitions have been John Salmons Douby and Loren Woods thats like having 3 potato chips.

You people are rediculous. I suppose if we had landed a star C/PF everyone would have graded TDOS with an A.

Come back to reality folks. We had no money, and no decent bargaining chips. No one wanted Miller, Bibby, KT, SAR, or even Bonzi for that matter. Probably because other GM's feel that our players only have value in an Adelman system.

There were not a lot of decent players at the C/PF positions in free agency and none of them wanted to come here. We had one MLE to work with. And what do you get with a MLE....Salmons. (hehe we got a King Salmon)

So one last time: STOP WHINNNING

...damn pessimists. And even Piksi hasn't wasted his time on here this summer so all you noobs are filling in for him and filling this board with junk.

Good night.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey, BawLa. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel...

;)

It's TDOS. You haven't lived through one before. This actually isn't that bad. It was much worse the summer after Webber was injured.

BawLa said:
You people are rediculous. I suppose if we had landed a star C/PF everyone would have graded TDOS with an A.

Come back to reality folks. We had no money, and no decent bargaining chips. No one wanted Miller, Bibby, KT, SAR, or even Bonzi for that matter. Probably because other GM's feel that our players only have value in an Adelman system.

There were not a lot of decent players at the C/PF positions in free agency and none of them wanted to come here. We had one MLE to work with. And what do you get with a MLE....Salmons. (hehe we got a King Salmon)

...damn pessimists. And even Piksi hasn't wasted his time on here this summer so all you noobs are filling in for him and filling this board with junk.

Good night.
Well then call me Piksi Jr. ;) but seriously how can we be positive when GP has not done crap??? as much as i love the KINGS! and i showed by giving them a C... its not hard to realize that we have not done nothing to excite us, being pessimist is more like reality then actting like a pessimist for no reason at this point.

it's a shame GP has put us through this misery blame him not us we follow what he does and we have the absolute right to disagree with his moves.. or even HATE them which is the case with the Salmons signing.

Good night.
precisely. you catch on real quick.

regardless of how able the kings management was to improve the team, this offseason can hardly be considered a success. did i expect a miracle PF/C to fall into the kings laps? no. do i even expect more than what we ended up with? no, not really. sacramento is still not the most desireable of places to come play, especially now that the winning culture has left in large part. that said, it's still a C- of an offseason at best. there's a difference between stubborn pessimism and plain old realism, and the reality of the situation is that the kings are likely going to enter the '06-'07 season as a mediocre team with some glaring weaknesses.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well then call me Piksi Jr. ;) but seriously how can we be positive when GP has not done crap??? as much as i love the KINGS! and i showed by giving them a C... its not hard to realize that we have not done nothing to excite us, being pessimist is more like reality then actting like a pessimist for no reason at this point.
Being a pessimist is being a pessimist. It's not grounded in reality any more than being an optimist. One sees the glass half-empty, the other sees it half full. Although, to be honest, I think you see the glass as shattering in your hand as you go to sip out of it, cutting your lip, and leading to blood poisoning and possibly death...

NO ONE KNOWS what's going to happen once this team gets together and has a chance to get to know each other, the new coach, etc.

Yes, you can draw conclusions and decide you don't think they'll do much. That's fine. I can draw conclusions and decide I think they just might do better than some suspect. That's also fine.

it's a shame GP has put us through this misery blame him not us we follow what he does and we have the absolute right to disagree with his moves.. or even HATE them which is the case with the Salmons signing.
Petrie hasn't put anyone through anything. You're doing this all to yourself. And why are you speaking in the first person plural?

Padrino said:
precisely. you catch on real quick.

regardless of how able the kings management was to improve the team, this offseason can hardly be considered a success. did i expect a miracle PF/C to fall into the kings laps? no. do i even expect more than what we ended up with? no, not really. sacramento is still not the most desireable of places to come play, especially now that the winning culture has left in large part. that said, it's still a C- of an offseason at best. there's a difference between stubborn pessimism and plain old realism, and the reality of the situation is that the kings are likely going to enter the '06-'07 season as a mediocre team with some glaring weaknesses.
Gotta agree with you, even though it's hard. we have alot of holes on this team and it hasn't been addressed in the Off-season.

if GP keeps this up i wonder if we can possibly see him on the Hot-seat.

VF21 said:
Being a pessimist is being a pessimist. It's not grounded in reality any more than being an optimist. One sees the glass half-empty, the other sees it half full. Although, to be honest, I think you see the glass as shattering in your hand as you go to sip out of it, cutting your lip, and leading to blood poisoning and possibly death...

NO ONE KNOWS what's going to happen once this team gets together and has a chance to get to know each other, the new coach, etc.

Yes, you can draw conclusions and decide you don't think they'll do much. That's fine. I can draw conclusions and decide I think they just might do better than some suspect. That's also fine.
I agree, i do think there is a chance we do better then most people think but its hard to think that but at this point its anyones call and anyone can be right/wrong.

Petrie hasn't lost his touch... it's just been a dry offseason on a whole. This is the weakest free agent class we've seen in a long time, no-one was dangling a superstar player except Iverson who we don't need, and I'm positive GP has tried to make a move or two, but no-one appears to be interested in what we have. Petrie's been too good for the Kings for too long to be criticizing him now. He did get us Artest, which got us into the playoffs right? If he doesn't pull the trigger on that deal, we don't get into the playoffs, and we would have probably had a sub-500 record. Can you imagine what TDOS would have been had THAT happened?

The good news... Artest is back, Miller's staying in shape with team USA, we have one of the best point guards in the league, we have an exciting two guard with all-star potential, a Defensive Player of the Year candidate (Artest), rookies with promise, decent depth on the bench (Abdur-Rahim, Garcia, Douby, Salmons), and a coach with tremendous work ethic and passion. I'm going to stay positive as we head into training camp.

TheJoker; said:
if GP keeps this up i wonder if we can possibly see him on the Hot-seat.
GP is fine. You should be on the hot seat.

Stop making it sound as though GP passed up the second coming of Shaq.

If GP is smart, and I think he is, then he would have already sat down with Musselman and told him to spend this season building chemistry, developing young talent, and making our players more tradeable.

We obviously don't see things the same way, and I've said what I want to say. If you want to continue to duel, then give me your XBox Live screenname and I will whip you in halo. ;)

B. Changing of the coaches was a huge move that needed to be done and I don't think the Maloofs could have picked a better guy. I also think Petrie deserves some credit for not resigning Bonzi at too high of price. We made some solid additions and while maintaining our salary structure.

I thought this offseason could have been better, however, we did avoid a major pitfall in over-paying Bonzi for a maximum length contract. Plus, we picked up some new faces that may or may not contribute; I would say that is better than average for any GM, so a B.