Grade our Off-season so far

What would you Grade our off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • B

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • D

Votes: 45 31.9%
  • F

Votes: 16 11.3%

• Total voters
D - and sorry if I'm repeating, but:
1. Lost the 6'5" guy who averaged 23 and 12 in the playoffs and kept the 7 footer who averaged 9 and 3. (I still can't get over the 3.)
2. Absolutely no help in the rebounding or interior defense department. Earl Boykins is going to pad his offensive rebounding numbers against this squad.
3. Kenny Thomas is still a King.
4. Are we going to draft a two guard every year until we have a roster of twelve of them? Sheesh.
5. Adelman firing = bad. Musselman hiring a decent save, earning Petrie the D.

This squad will flirt with .500, but won't make the playoffs.
Got to admit that I agree with this 100%. The Kings won't make the playoffs with this roster.

My grade is a D+

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We made the playoffs last year. I strongly suspect we'll make them again, especially with Artest playing SF all year instead of ... well, you know.

I think we'll make the playoffs but it will be a dog fight like this past year this roster is just not good and its hard to admit it but it is.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think we'll make the playoffs but it will be a dog fight like this past year this roster is just not good and its hard to admit it but it is.
This roster is BETTER than it was for a good portion of last year. We have Ron Artest instead of Peja, who was doing so close to nothing it was almost indistinguishable. We had Kevin starting for part of last year, too, so that's not a change.

Some of you act as though we gave away a helluva lot more than Bonzi Wells.

We've got new blood coming in that could well contribute at least something off the bench, contrary to what seems to be the prevailing opinion that we have to just dismiss all of them as garbage.

We have some new BIGS that might actually be able to play a few minutes and swat away a shot or two.

I'm happy about not looking forward to seeing Jason Hart as Bibby's primary backup and I think Garcia should be back to close to full strength, which he wasn't after his foot/ankle incident.

We didn't just fall into the lottery brackets.

And, although I liked and respected Rick Adelman, I think his time had expired here. It was plain for most of the year that he was coaching on borrowed time. Now we have a new coach - and even reason to be hopeful about the future.

I've been a fan of this team forever. I would have NO trouble admitting they were bad ... if they were. I've seen BAD and this ain't it.

The rebounding department is still not solved, we still have Thomas we still have not solved alot of holes on this team i know it takes time but i atleast expected something to happen in the Off-season, getting Salmons and Woods is not satisfying i just don't know how much we improved but it seems like we haven't improved at all. down-grading you're roster is not improving the only thing we solved was putting Ron at the 3 but that still doesn't change the woes on this team. its GP's job to fix it and he hasn't...

Bonzi - whatever you think of him - was an "asset", and now he is nothing. Not good stewardship by Geoff imo. In fact, a blunder. We're all pinning it on Bonzi's agent, but I fault Geoff too for misreading the situation all along.
What does that mean??

Let me get this straight. We make an offer to a player that by all accounts and all available information was more than any other team. The player declines the offer and has not signed with another team as of this date. ALL objective and reasonable data points to the notion that the player and his agent are unreasonable. Sometimes there is no counter proposal to insanity...

Exactly what should Petrie/Kings do?

I was going to vote "A" just to screw up the curve, but I didn't:D .

Instead, I didn't vote at all. It's too early for me to tell. It's like grading a kid before he takes the test.

We did not do as much as I wanted us to do, but more was accomplished than I have come to expect. Good thing there is still time before the season begins. If we start the season as we are now, I will still expect us to go deeper in the playoffs than last year.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Instead, I didn't vote at all. It's too early for me to tell. It's like grading a kid before he takes the test.

We did not do as much as I wanted us to do, but more was accomplished than I have come to expect. Good thing there is still time before the season begins. If we start the season as we are now, I will still expect us to go deeper in the playoffs than last year.
I agree with this, but I voted "C" because no matter how often I say things like this are pretty pointless, nobody listens, so I gave in. ;)

Bonzi is in a situation of his own making - no faulting Petrie for that.

Salmons, while overpaid, was heavily pursued by several top GMs for the same price, which makes me think he may be worth it after all in the right situation.

We brought in a couple young frontcourt guys that went undrafted but many are very high on. Good projects, probably - we just need to give them time.

Lost Bonzi, but Kevin may be ready to shine. May not really be a downgrade if Salmons and Garcia can play backup well.

Still need a quality big man and straighten out the PF situation, but GMs don't work in a vacuum - trades have to be a two-way street. You just hope GP is driving with a good map. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We haven't had a good PF since we had a healthy Webber. we have had Thomas for 2 seasons now it's no excuse why hes still in our roster.
There's a very good reason he's still on our roster. No one else wants him... that's not part of this TDOS. That's a carry-over from the Webber trade that will stay with us until we can find someone who will take him, most likely in some kind of package deal.

Agree with half the things u are saying and do think that it will be a dog fight to get in to the playoffs. No, not because the roster is not that good mainly because other teams got better or keys players may stay healthy.

If the season were to start now i would tell u that Mavs, SA, Phx, and Denver (divison winners) were locks to make the playoffs. The kings have to contend with the Rockets with a healthy T-mac and Yao. Utah with a healthy Boozer and very good looking starting lineup. Seattle who made a very good run at the season with that trade. The Clippers are still strong even with the lost of Rad but replaced him with Tim Thomas. The Grizz still have a very good team, also. GS was pretty good last season before Davis went down, with him healthy they could do something. New Orleans looks really good with their offseason moves. The Lakers, sadly to say, are pretty solid also. I really like their move of picking up Rad he would be a great 3 point threat when Kobe or Odom get doubled.

(And i just realized that i wrote almost the whole western conf expect for the blazers and Minn (i feel bad for KG). And it kind of funny how weak the east is still, compared to the west who have 5 or 6 bads teams compared to the west's 2.)

Like i said before if we don't make the playoff next season it will be mostly because the west is just to tuff not because we are not that good. And if we make the playoff (and thats not a lock) i think we will be gone in the first round if we are a 8th, 7th, or 6th seed. But if we get that 5th seed I think we could get to the 2 round but lose there.

VF21 said:
There's a very good reason he's still on our roster. No one else wants him... that's not part of this TDOS. That's a carry-over from the Webber trade that will stay with us until we can find someone who will take him, most likely in some kind of package deal.
Well, i did mention that the only way someone takes on Kenny's contract is if we give up one our young studs or package one of our Core players but i'm not sure if the Kings are planning to do that.

Kenny is stuck with us for a while probably :(

The rebounding department is still not solved, we still have Thomas we still have not solved alot of holes on this team i know it takes time but i atleast expected something to happen in the Off-season, getting Salmons and Woods is not satisfying i just don't know how much we improved but it seems like we haven't improved at all. down-grading you're roster is not improving the only thing we solved was putting Ron at the 3 but that still doesn't change the woes on this team. its GP's job to fix it and he hasn't...
I find it kind of strange that 1) you want rebounding and 2) you want to get rid of our best rebounder.

I have a question about K. Thomas. In many of the trades advocating a swap of Thomas for someone else, the justification for the other team taking him was because that team wanted to be more of a run and gun system. Didn't Musselman indicate that he wanted a more up tempo team? If so, is it just possible that he might fit in better with a Musselman system than the previous one?

I am not a fan of his, other than the fact he is on the Kings, but I was just wondering. The pieces may (or may not) fit better than expected.

O

OldSchoolKing

I have a question about K. Thomas. In many of the trades advocating a swap of Thomas for someone else, the justification for the other team taking him was because that team wanted to be more of a run and gun system. Didn't Musselman indicate that he wanted a more up tempo team? If so, is it just possible that he might fit in better with a Musselman system than the previous one?

I am not a fan of his, other than the fact he is on the Kings, but I was just wondering. The pieces may (or may not) fit better than expected.
I read an article a few weeks back and remember seeing Muss mention that he likes what Thomas brings to the court ie: hustle, rebounding, speed

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

You have some valid points. I don't want to speak for anyone else, but my MAIN problems with Kenny have been his prima donna attitude and pouting when he didn't think he'd played enough minutes, even when he was being ineffective. When you add the eternal contract into the mix, my thought is we could do better.

Maybe he will work better this year. Maybe he'll find a way to accept that he can be productive and contribute in tandem with SAR. I'm just not going to hold my breath.

If Kenny would come off the bench with enthusiasm, I would not begrudge his contract at all. He can play ok - just has an attitude problem imo.

You have some valid points.
Nope, sorry. The only valid point I had was the justification given for the other team to want him. The rest were just questions.

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but my MAIN problems with Kenny have been his prima donna attitude and pouting when he didn't think he'd played enough minutes, even when he was being ineffective. When you add the eternal contract into the mix, my thought is we could do better.
I agree. Sadly.

Maybe he will work better this year. Maybe he'll find a way to accept that he can be productive and contribute in tandem with SAR. I'm just not going to hold my breath.
Again sadly, my questions were based on hope not expectation.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nope, sorry. The only valid point I had was the justification given for the other team to want him. The rest were just questions.
I can't believe I'm doing this but "points" can be "questions." I thought you asked more than one valid question, hence my comment.

As you can see, I have highlighted THREE points that I thought were valid, hence my comment.

I was agreeing with you. To see you disagree with my agreement was disconcerting, to say the least.

I never understood that idea. He has quickness (compared to most 4's) and some athleticism, but they aren't so high that they negate all his short comings. He's undersized, and not athletic or skilled enough to really excel in that environment. Any well coached team would just slow things down and bang you up front or, move a SF up to guard him, taking away his speed advantage.

I don't see any system employed by Musselman (or others) making KT look better. The sytem under Adelman was very well suited for him, and I'd imagine it's one of the reasons Petrie was willing to trade for him. The team defense should get better, and should benefit KT.

I was going to vote "C" but then I thought about what (in my mind) the goals were this offseason. We lost one of our best players and replaced him with a marginal role player. We didn't do anything to clear up the mess at power forward. We didn't acquire anyone to make a difference in the painted area on defense (Loren Woods doesn't do it for me). We did add some depth and didn't make any moronic trades, so it's definitely not an F.

I would say B for offseason if "grading on a curve." Did anybody else in the West get significantly stronger this offseason? No. On an absolute scale, no team would probably land higher than a C outside of Chicago. Bonzi's awesome, but it was good to let him go instead of overpaying him based on one playoff series. So with signing some floaters and letting the veteran go, I don't think things went as poorly this offseason as other people do.

SactoGreg said:
How anyone can give this team a "B" is beyond me. Heck, a "C" is being kind...
Because being objective sometimes does not fit well with some of the Fan base. it's better to give out you're honest opinion i could've easily given our Off-season grade a big fat "F" but i decided to put something that will make people realize that i'm being honest enough and kind enough to make our Off-season look half-decent even though realistically we deserve a D or a F.

Because being objective sometimes does not fit well with some of the Fan base. it's better to give out you're honest opinion i could've easily given our Off-season grade a big fat "F" but i decided to put something that will make people realize that i'm being honest enough and kind enough to make our Off-season look half-decent even though realistically we deserve a D or a F.
No need to be kind...just vote how you feel...