All things Woods ...updated (merged)

Uh. I wouldn't say he is on the level of Jamal Sampson. Woods has proven he can be a major presence on the defensive end but his problem is doing it consistently. I like the guy, I have seen him play more than a couple of times and I think he could bring a lot of the things we are missing. People point out how he couldn't hold down the starting job in Toronto but to even imply that Woods was a major reason why Toronto blew cornhole is just too easy. Sure he has flaws, and some major ones especially on offense, but as long as he brings that presense in the paint defensively I am fine.

I think this is a good pickup, low risk and he brings what we need.

At this point, I have this tiny little voice telling me that by assembling some one-year contracts, along with our expiring contracts, Petrie might be plotting something very devious - something that might just snag a certain wolf by the trade deadline if he's not happy with how the season is going...

Just a gllmmer of a thought, but who knows???
It would be nice to make 1 more 1 year contract besides the ones to hopefully Williams and Amundson, and Woods....to Bonzi for like $3M. We would be over the cap, but that would be a bargain and you know Bonzi would play his heart out to get another chance at the big bucks, his last contract. Bonzi and his agent were stupid how they managed the contract situation this offseason, but I think Bonzi should have learned a big lesson and wants to show what he can do and show that the SA playoffs series was no fluke to what he brings. He doesn't do good in elevation with his ashma so why not stay here in Sacto?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It would be nice to make 1 more 1 year contract besides the ones to hopefully Williams and Amundson, and Woods....to Bonzi for like $3M. We would be over the cap, but that would be a bargain and you know Bonzi would play his heart out to get another chance at the big bucks, his last contract. Bonzi and his agent were stupid how they managed the contract situation this offseason, but I think Bonzi should have learned a big lesson and wants to show what he can do and show that the SA playoffs series was no fluke to what he brings. He doesn't do good in elevation with his ashma so why not stay here in Sacto?
Do not count on seeing Bonzi Wells in a Kings uniform again. If you compare this to a high-stakes poker game, Bonzi and his agent tried to bluff and they ended up losing the hand big time.

At this point in time, bringing Bonzi back could conceivably cause a lot of problems. He didn't accept a bona fide offer and the Kings moved on. They aren't going to go into luxury tax land for him.

In addition, the odds of him being happy coming back for $2 million less than he could have received had he accepted the Kings offer are slim to none. And we do not want to take a change on the bad Bonzi being around...

The ship sailed. Petrie picked up other pieces and Kevin Martin will be our starting 2 guard for 2006-2007. Bonzi will have to hope he can find a bargain outlet for asthma inhalers or hope another team will step up and show some interest.

So wait, did we sign him ( non-guaranteed )? if we just invite him to camp then i'm fine with it however if we somehow wasted our LLE on him then i'm disappointed because we don't need another big-man scrub we already one.

I'm guessing as long as that weight/in-shape clause is in that contract, the only king Bonzi will be visiting will be Burger King. Regardless of the offer.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We don't know yet, Joker. Reports from his agent are all we've got. And he didn't say too much. Just that Woods and the Kings had come to some kind of terms.

Was Loren Woods the same guy that went crazy on draft day or something and quit basketball (for a little while)?

I remember there being a guy with potential go crazy or something and go missing. Anyone know who I am talking about?
Gary, you're thinking of Leon Powe. He came straight out of high school, was taken with the last pick in the first round and then went crazy. After several days of practice he flipped out at his coach when he got yelled at and quit basketball. I believe that he nearly committed suicide or did something else crazy wearing army fatigues.

Gary, you're thinking of Leon Powe. He came straight out of high school, was taken with the last pick in the first round and then went crazy. After several days of practice he flipped out at his coach when he got yelled at and quit basketball. I believe that he nearly committed suicide or did something else crazy wearing army fatigues.
Leon Powe was just drafted this year by the Boston Celtics in the 2nd round...

Leon Powe played for Cal for the past 3 seasons. He was just drafted this year by the Nuggets and then traded to the Celtics. He is not the guy that went crazy on draft day.

It was Leon Smith. Dude was athletic as hell, promising kid, then blew his lid after he was drafted...last team he was with was Seattle in 03-04, he was drafted in the first round by the Hawks.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Latest from the Bee:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14296012p-15146166c.html

Kings find a backup center
Loren Woods -- 7-2 -- should help block shots and rebound.
By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:01 am PDT Sunday, August 13, 2006

Loren Woods will soon be a member of the Kings, according to his agent.
Jason Levien, who represents the 7-foot-2 free-agent center, said his client and the Kings agreed to contract terms Saturday. Woods, a five-year veteran who has played sparingly throughout his career, is expected to fly to Sacramento on Monday. The deal is expected to be finalized Tuesday.

Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie did not immediately return a call for comment.

"Loren is bouncing off the walls, he's so excited," Levien said. "He really feels like this could be a good place for him."

A league source said the deal is for one year, paying Woods between $950,000 and $1 million, while keeping the Kings' payroll below the luxury tax threshold of $65.42 million.

Woods, a University of Arizona product who was drafted in the second round by Minnesota in 2001, played the last two seasons in Toronto.

Conceivably, he would back up Kings center Brad Miller, with little-used veteran Vitaly Potapenko also available.

In their search for a big man backup, the Kings also considered Michael Olowokandi, Kelvin Cato and former King Scot Pollard. According to the Seattle Times, the Kings also had contacted the Sonics about a trade for 23-year-old Chris Wilcox.

"The Kings think Loren hasn't shown what he can really do yet," Levien said.

The Kings' hope, of course, is Woods will aid the rebounding and shot-blocking efforts. When given minutes, he has shown an ability to do so, but playing time has been hard to come by.

Woods played 60 games his rookie season, 38 in each of the next two seasons and 45 in 2004-05, when he started 30 games for the Raptors before being replaced by then-lottery draft pick Rafael Araujo. It was Woods' best statistical season, as he averaged 15.8 minutes, 4.9 rebounds, 3.9 points and .87 blocks a game.

Last season, he played in 27 games, starting four.

Woods played his first two pro seasons in Minnesota and his third in Miami before heading to Toronto. He came to Sacramento on Aug. 4. He went out to dinner with Kings coach Eric Musselman and worked out at the Kings' practice facility last weekend.

About the writer: The Bee's Sam Amick can be reached at samick@sacbee.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article didn't say if his deal was guarenteed or not...

Anyway, I think if he lives up to his potential he can help us, maybe be like Keon Clark or something(and we all know that would help a lot).

It was Leon Smith. Dude was athletic as hell, promising kid, then blew his lid after he was drafted...last team he was with was Seattle in 03-04, he was drafted in the first round by the Hawks.
Thank you for the correction. You're right. We'll at least I got the first name and bio right. That's should still get me a B or B+ :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Do not count on seeing Bonzi Wells in a Kings uniform again. If you compare this to a high-stakes poker game, Bonzi and his agent tried to bluff and they ended up losing the hand big time.

I think a game of chicken might work as a closer analogy given that in this game neither side blinked, and because of it both sides ended up losing.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The article didn't say if his deal was guarenteed or not...

Anyway, I think if he lives up to his potential he can help us, maybe be like Keon Clark or something(and we all know that would help a lot).
Well, welcome Loren for what its worth. Please remember that Ron likes his coffee black, and his doughnuts with sprinkles.

Thing is that Keon was 10x the player Woods is, and was a fairly major player in the league before we got him. Woods is just...Woods. More established than Sampson was, but the career numbers are very similar:

Sampson career:
10.1min 2.4pts (.468 .566) 3.9reb 0.1ast 0.1stl 0.5blk 0.5TO

Woods career:
11.6min 2.6pts (.418 .642) 3.3reb 0.3ast 0.3stl 0.6blk 0.7TO

Just not major players or top backups, let alone starters. Nor has there been any real excuse for Woods -- every team he has played for has been desperate for a center, had nobody in there at all, and he still hasn't been able to earn many minutes (indeed would have been part of the problem rather than the solution). He might be able to help us a little, he's instantly better than anybody else we have in certain areas. But he's kind of halfway between a true backup center and a 12th man scrub. Tag for instance was a much more accomplished player. As was Skinner. Pollard. And certainly Keon (pre-doobie collapse).

If this was the move made in lieu of a Cato or Kandi or whatever it stinks -- modest talents though those guys are, they have proven to be players at another level above Woods. If its a standalone move, then why not. League minimum + at least the right basic type of player.

Last edited:
Sigh, is the best GP can do? I'm hoping he's getting these people for a big trade but somehow I doubt it.:( Only 6 weeks till training camp, that's not a whole lot of time.

10 pages on Loren F-ing Woods!!!!

Cut the guy some slack. It's basically a minimum contract and we'll see what he can do.

By the way, it doesn't really matter if it's guaranteed or not. Right now we have 13 gauranteed contracts and if Woods is guaranteed that makes 14. My guess is that Amundson and Williams fight it out during training camp and whoever wins gets the last spot with the other one going to the D-League(I hope). We still have 3 contracts with an expiring value of about 10 million that I believe will be used in a trade.

I'm not sure why it bothers people if a contract is guaranteed or not....it's not your money and it's not alot for the Maloofs to eat if he doesn't work out.

Cut the guy some slack. It's basically a minimum contract and we'll see what he can do.

By the way, it doesn't really matter if it's guaranteed or not. Right now we have 13 gauranteed contracts and if Woods is guaranteed that makes 14. My guess is that Amundson and Williams fight it out during training camp and whoever wins gets the last spot with the other one going to the D-League(I hope). We still have 3 contracts with an expiring value of about 10 million that I believe will be used in a trade.

I'm not sure why it bothers people if a contract is guaranteed or not....it's not your money and it's not alot for the Maloofs to eat if he doesn't work out.
Agreed, Ryle.

It's not about only err... Woods, its about those bunch of scrubs that GP had scrapped from the bottom barrel. Even the contract, if its guarenteed or non guarenteed we need a solid back up or a player that can be depend on.

Last edited:
I just find myself wondering what has happened to our GM " Geoff ". i'm not sure if he thinks he has alot of few options to work with but if Salmons and Loren Woods is the best he can do as far as the off-season goes then it's pretty harsh as a Kings Fan. . . .

I just find myself wondering what has happened to our GM " Geoff ". i'm not sure if he thinks he has alot of few options to work with but if Salmons and Loren Woods is the best he can do as far as the off-season goes then it's pretty harsh as a Kings Fan. . . .
Depends on how you look at it. You've obviously chosen your way.

I'm still confident a move or two more will be made by late Sept.

I like you're confidence Kings113, ;) but.... that confidence in me is wearing down... i don't think this Management is pepared to make a big off-season move it might have to do with the Contract situations or any sort of reason.. i never would have thought the best we could've done was Woods and Salmons not in a million years.

Most of the other quality/bigger FAs and on-the-block guys we couldn't get.

----------------

Pryzbilla - It was reported we were interested a number of times. But we didn't have a sure starting spot then, we had the right money, and in the end he wanted to be loyal to Portland. Don't think we could of done a S/T. Dealing with Bonzi was a factor as well. As reported.

Ben Wallace - He wanted way more than we could give him. A S/T was just rumors and speculation. As reported.

Claxton - We went after him, his agent talked with us, we had a connection with Muss... he bolted for Atlanta. Why? A starting spot and 6.8 million dollars over 5 years. Atlanta was under the cap so didn't have an MLE. Dealing with Bonzi was a factor as well. As reported.

Nazr Mohammed - Was looking for a starting spot and a 5-year deal, dealing with Bonzi was a factor as well. As reported.

Nene - RFA, he got 6 years with 60 million. No way we could offer that, and we obviously couldn't do a S/T with him, as that was rumored/reported in July.

Banks - By this point in late July it was more clear we're going to use the guys we have at PG to back-up Mike (then Salmons too), and we were dealing with Bonzi. As reported.

Magloire - The Blazers expirings were better players than our expirings. Blake > Hart, Skinner > Corliss or Potapenko, Ha was just a throw-in.

Wright - Once again, Atlanta could offer more money than our LLE. Which is what others were offering and maybe we offered. Nothing was reported involving Wright, who knows if we did go after him or not.

Wilcox - it's been reported a bunch of times we are interested to do a S/T for him. He's currently un-signed. Just because we signed Woods doesn't rule him out, Wilcox is a PF and would be starting or getting good minutes here.

Gooden - We don't need this guy and his 50-60 million dollar requests for a player similar and not as good as Kenny Thomas.

Harrington - Talented, but not what we need. Basically a Pacer.

Bonzi Wells - Turned down our offer of 5 years 36 million - his agent and him have been paying for that.

Say whatever you want, but time is still in hand to make moves in the off-season. Until it gets down to a week till training camp, then the off-season is basically over

If we do a trade, i just don't know what kind of options we can work with, i'm not sure Kenny Thoma's contract is attractive to any team at this point. if we're expecting a big trade then someone in our core group has to get traded.