All things Woods ...updated (merged)

the kings are not done with the offseason yet... i feel they need to get another p/f.. we need to get either wilcox, boozer, or gooden....

hopefully its wilcox

The Raptors last year desperately needed rebounding and shotblocking. They had Loren Woods, and they didn't play him.

That's all anyone needs to know because it says so much.

That and, oh yeah, Araujo constantly beat him for playing time with the Raptors. RAFAEL ARAUJO! This guy can't play. Great size, weight and good athleticism, which is nice and all. But it's useless because he doesn't have the skills to back it up.

Last edited:
The Raptors last year desperately needed rebounding and shotblocking. They had Loren Woods, and they didn't play him.

That's all anyone needs to know because it says so much.

That and, oh yeah, Araujo constantly beat him for playing time with the Raptors. RAFAEL ARAUJO! This guy can't play. Great size, weight and good athleticism, which is nice and all. But it's useless because he doesn't have the skills to back it up.
He has the skills. He just lacks the discipline and concentration to be able to utilize those skills night in and night out. Hopefully a change of scenery and a good supporting cast will help him out.

the kings are not done with the offseason yet... i feel they need to get another p/f.. we need to get either wilcox, boozer, or gooden....

hopefully its wilcox
Gooden? No, we don't need that guy. We don't need this guy and his 5-6 year 50-60 million dollar requests for a player similar, and, IMO, not as good as Kenny Thomas overall.

He has the skills. He just lacks the discipline and concentration to be able to utilize those skills night in and night out. Hopefully a change of scenery and a good supporting cast will help him out.
Agreed. It's a pretty good possibility. If Muss/Artest/Arco crowd can't get this guy going, then he'll be forgotten about.

(Edit: I should clarify - I agree.)

I don't think that for the price (at/near league minimum - reportedly not guaranteed) and the need (backup big man) you can complain much right now. He'll compete for a spot. Let the guy compete and show what he can do. I sincerely doubt we're done with moves this offseason....
Indeed.

My god people we do we have to tear apart every single aspect of every player we sign?? This is a no risk signing and quite frankly I wasn't too excited going into the season with Amundson and Williams as our back up bigs(both undrafted free agents who were decent in college but no one knows how, or if, this will translate to the pros).

Woods has some of the attributes that we are looking for and if he(or any other big) can give us 10-15 minutes a game of rebounding and blocking shots then I'm all for it.

It's not like we are signing him to challenge Miller for the starting center spot
^^^^Gotta agree with you there, Ryle.

Last edited:
Was Loren Woods the same guy that went crazy on draft day or something and quit basketball (for a little while)?

I remember there being a guy with potential go crazy or something and go missing. Anyone know who I am talking about?

Loren Woods is a better option the Justin Williams.
I don't think the two are relevant yet.

Williams isn't really an NBA center yet, unless we go small. Williams is 6'9" 220-225 (last we know), have even seen him being at 210-215. It's one of those ranges anyways, and he would probably need to add some mass to his frame to be the back-up center or a regular-playing center. We don't know what he's doing this off-season, but I'd assume he'll have some added mass to his upper body. Which his frame suggests he can.

Aside from all that, he's likely to be a third big man on the team if he makes it. Back-up center? That's a stretch right now, and really uncertain in general. The roster situation has to be more clear and situated before that can be discussed legitimately. Which I would think would come around in October. Considering there is all this month left, plus just about all of September for stuff to be done with the roster.

But, if I had to choose between one of them for a spot on the roster, I'd take Williams. I feel he's gonna be a solid big man at least in the league, and think he'll ultimately be better than Loren Woods.

If it's a roster spot Woods will be fighting for in camp? That still isn't quite clear. Two reports so far suggest Woods is getting a one-year guaranteed money deal. While Grant thinks or says Woods deal is a non-guaranteed deal.

So, the reports are indeed conflicting, I'll take the aforementioned two reports over Grant.

Last edited:
Hmmm IF we do sign him(not saying we will just because there hasn't been an anouncement yet) I think this means there will be another move or two where we send out our expirers+ in a 3 for 2 deal or 2 for 1 deal. We have like 17 people signed right now. Hart, Corliss, and Potapenko have guarenteed contracts so we can't waive them. Petrie and the Maloofs obviously like Amundson, Jeter, and Williams a lot. You know that going into training camp anybody who was in the top 8 of our rotation last year won't be cut. So I think Petrie will make another trade.

Hmmm IF we do sign him(not saying we will just because there hasn't been an anouncement yet) I think this means there will be another move or two where we send out our expirers+ in a 3 for 2 deal or 2 for 1 deal. We have like 17 people signed right now. Hart, Corliss, and Potapenko have guarenteed contracts so we can't waive them. Petrie and the Maloofs obviously like Amundson, Jeter, and Williams a lot. You know that going into training camp anybody who was in the top 8 of our rotation last year won't be cut. So I think Petrie will make another trade.
Definitely agree. Similar to what I layed out before. Will be interesting to see what happens with those 3 expiring players over the next several weeks.

hopefully its wilcox
an i deal situation would be:
trade bonzi, thomas, and hart to seattle
for
wilcox, watson and filler

not sure if the contracts match up but i dont care, i'd love this...

bibby/watson/price
martin/salmons/douby
artst/garcia/corliss
wilcox/sar/amundson or williams
miller/woods/pot

I would be fine with that. Can't hurt to invite a shotblocking big to camp and Woods is good enough to stick, if not excite. But at this point we are just inviting all kinds of scraps and undrafted guys to come try out for the team when we basically have no roster spots to hold them. Geoff really needs to find some way to take a stack of our random guaranteed junk and turn it into just one good player. The "flexible pieces" and their descendants from the Webber disaster are just chewing up a huge chunk of our capspace while wasting roster spaces and holding back rebuilding. Take Kenny and Corliss and Potapenko and/or Hart etc. and turn them into ONE player, and all of a sudden all of these Admundson or Woods or Williams or Price or whatever type players have a spot, a role, a future, and frankly while they may not be that good, it would be a lot more interesting than watching nondynamic overpaid midlevel vets who are never going to get any better waste those bench spots.
Well we have a few expiring contracts. Maybe a so-so player, and a couple expiring contracts for one guy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My god people we do we have to tear apart every single aspect of every player we sign?? This is a no risk signing...
Actually, at this point it's simply an unconfirmed rumor of a "no risk signing"...

The only thing we've heard locally is from Sam Amick, who said Woods tried out and we should stay tuned for more information. Everything else is still pure speculation at this point.

------------------------------------------------

Anyone remember the names Courtney Alexander and David Bluthental?

;)

Was Loren Woods the same guy that went crazy on draft day or something and quit basketball (for a little while)?

I remember there being a guy with potential go crazy or something and go missing. Anyone know who I am talking about?
I thought Loren Woods was the guy who kept dropping on draft day and ended up sitting in the green room all alone quite a while until his name was finally called...

Ryle said:
My god people we do we have to tear apart every single aspect of every player we sign?? This is a no risk signing...
Loren Woods is a scrub, i'm tired of GP bringing these guys in first it was O-Tag then getting Potapenko ...etc..etc..etc.

if we can't get upset on the decisions the management makes why are we fans? GP has been a disappointment this off-season its a FACT.

Loren Woods is a scrub, i'm tired of GP bringing these guys in first it was O-Tag then getting Potapenko ...etc..etc..etc.

if we can't get upset on the decisions the management makes why are we fans? GP has been a disappointment this off-season its a FACT.
Oh give me a break the offseason's not over yet. O-Tag played pretty well for Utah and Potapenko was to get under the luxury tax. It's not like Skinner contributed for us anyway. Loren Woods has never really been given a chance and I've heard some good things about him from TO fans. It's not like it can hurt when you're only giving him a little bit of money anyway. It doesn't stop us from making other moves and it could be a precursor that more moves ARE coming. The offseason's only half over yet and Petrie doesn't usually start making moves until this time of the year anyway.

Oh give me a break the offseason's not over yet. O-Tag played pretty well for Utah and Potapenko was to get under the luxury tax. It's not like Skinner contributed for us anyway. Loren Woods has never really been given a chance and I've heard some good things about him from TO fans. It's not like it can hurt when you're only giving him a little bit of money anyway. It doesn't stop us from making other moves and it could be a precursor that more moves ARE coming. The offseason's only half over yet and Petrie doesn't usually start making moves until this time of the year anyway.
I gotta agree there. And do think if this guy is getting guaranteed money (which I'm going with for now), this should set off other moves.

Joker, you're still making us being interested in Woods way more than it actually is. You can get upset over Ostertag, Potapenko was explained. Once again, if Woods is signed to a guaranteed deal, he's just going to be a back-up center on a one-year deal. If he becomes something decent for us, cool, if not, oh well. If he's going to get a camp spot on a NGD, so what...

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I gotta agree there. And do think if this guy is getting guaranteed money (which I'm going with for now), this should set off other moves.

Joker, you're still making us being interested in Woods way more than it actually is. You can get upset over Ostertag, Potapenko was explained. Once again, if Woods is signed to a guaranteed deal, he's just going to be a back-up center on a one-year deal. If he becomes something decent for us, cool, if not, oh well. If he's going to get a camp spot on a NGD, so what...

I am sure that I heard Lamb and Napier say (on their top 5 at 5 on Friday) that Woods was signed to a 1 year non-guaranteed contract.

Ah, well I've read conflicting reports, and don't have the access to the radio there (I also have no sound on my computer temporairly). I don't live in Sacramento.

It's also nowhere on ESPN or Real GM wire-tap yet.

Still, we'll have to see how it goes in the coming days. Either way I don't see the big deal in us being interested in Woods.

Last edited:
I don't think the contract's been signed yet because there's nothing on kings.com, there's nothing on insidehoops, realgm, or espn yet, and if he had been signed we would already know.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I could have sworn that Mike and Grant said that Woods had been signed, but it would not be the 1st time that they were wrong. Maybe there was an offer for a 1 yr non-guaranteed deal.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14295151p-15141191c.html

Kings agree to sign center Woods
By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 4:30 pm PDT Saturday, August 12, 2006

Loren Woods will soon be a member of the Kings, according to his agent.
Jason Leviene, who represents the 7-2 free agent center, said his client and the Kings have agreed to contract terms on Saturday. Woods, a 5-year veteran who has played sparingly throughout his career, is expected to fly into Sacramento on Monday and the deal is expected to be finalized Tuesday.

Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie did not immediately return a call for comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Givony was right. :)

I'm fine with getting Woods. Basically a no-risk move.

Reading some more about Woods, I like him a bit more than I did before (split on him based on past suggestions around). He's thin, but really tall, long, and athletic, and think he could be something decent at least with some regular minutes. Especially with Musselman and Artest on the team to up his energy, most likely, along with the Arco crowd.

Be interesting to see what happens with Potapenko now.

ok, i've got a question. a lot of geoff petrie supporters here often point out that the offseason is only half over, and that we shouldn't be getting upset because "more moves" may come.

so when is it already to get upset, or are we not supposed to at all? cuz this is looking an awful lot like last year when our big man haul consisted of...jamal sampson.

ok, i've got a question. a lot of geoff petrie supporters here often point out that the offseason is only half over, and that we shouldn't be getting upset because "more moves" may come.

so when is it already to get upset, or are we not supposed to at all? cuz this is looking an awful lot like last year when our big man haul consisted of...jamal sampson.
Get upset when there's a week or so left until training camp - late september...

I wouldn't say I'll be getting upset, but I'll be some disappointed if this is all we've done. But, since there's still almost 2 months left in the off-season, I'll wait till then to see how I feel. ;)

Last edited:

The thing is that if his deal is guarenteed it looks like this ends up triggering some more moves IMO, so we just got to be patient.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
At this point, I have this tiny little voice telling me that by assembling some one-year contracts, along with our expiring contracts, Petrie might be plotting something very devious - something that might just snag a certain wolf by the trade deadline if he's not happy with how the season is going...

Just a gllmmer of a thought, but who knows???

I am sure that I heard Lamb and Napier say (on their top 5 at 5 on Friday) that Woods was signed to a 1 year non-guaranteed contract.
What the heck is a non-guaranteed contract? I thought a contract brings both sides into a deal, so does this contract say if Woods, suck the Kings don't have to pay him? :D How many non-guaranteed contracts are there, is this common with undrafted rookies and players that have been out of the loop and are lucky to play on any team? How does this contract compare to what Williams and Amundson have? If Woods does good in camp can he get a guaranteed contract, is this just to see him through camp and to go from there? I'm really confused about this.:confused: