Wizards Sign Songaila 5 Years 23 M

Agent: Songaila signs 5-year, $23M deal with Wizards

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Darius Songaila
Power Forward
Chicago Bulls

Profile2006 SEASON STATISTICSGMPPGRPGAPGFG%FT%629.24.01.4.481.817

The Washington Wizards signed free agent forward Darius Songaila to a five-year, $23 million dollar deal, Songaila's agent, Mark Bartlestein, told ESPN.com.
Songaila's deal includes a player option for the fifth year of the contract.
Songaila is a skilled four man with a sweet outside shot and the ability to go inside and bang. The move means that it's now very likely that the Wizards' first-round pick, Olexsiy Pecherov, will return to Europe for another season, a source close to the Wizards confirmed to ESPN.com.
The moves use the up the majority of the Wizards' mid-level exception, with Songaila's deal taking up around $4 million of Washington's $5.135 million mid-level exception. Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Agent: Songaila signs 5-year, $23M deal with Wizards

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Darius Songaila
Power Forward
Chicago Bulls

Profile2006 SEASON STATISTICSGMPPGRPGAPGFG%FT%629.24.01.4.481.817

The Washington Wizards signed free agent forward Darius Songaila to a five-year, $23 million dollar deal, Songaila's agent, Mark Bartlestein, told ESPN.com.
Songaila's deal includes a player option for the fifth year of the contract.
Songaila is a skilled four man with a sweet outside shot and the ability to go inside and bang. The move means that it's now very likely that the Wizards' first-round pick, Olexsiy Pecherov, will return to Europe for another season, a source close to the Wizards confirmed to ESPN.com.
The moves use the up the majority of the Wizards' mid-level exception, with Songaila's deal taking up around $4 million of Washington's $5.135 million mid-level exception. Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.
Holy smokes! That's a lot of money for him!

That is indeed overpaid. I remember hearing a couple weeks ago they were interested in him. Good luck to Darius in Washington though, should improve their offense, which is definitely iffy in the shot selection and percentage area.

Thank god... ;)

Good for Darius! I'm glad to see he won't be comming back here, while I like him a lot of as player I just don't think he is what the Kings need right now.

I liked Darius as an undersized, not so athletic, but very consistent reserve, and if the Kings had room for him, would have been happy to see him back, but......that's just waaaay too much for what he brings!! Did Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones buy the Wizards??? :cool:

No wonder we did not sign him. That is way too much money, but good for him!
Just wait until BONzi sees that deal!!!!!!!! It is going to want 50 million for 5 years! haha.....

First Peja and now Darius get paydays they probably don't deserve.

Now don't get me wrong, I like both guys, but geez....
Wow Ex Kings are definately seeing greener pastures elsewhere. Green as in $, not grass, but maybe that too since it is so dry here in Sacramento. :D

This isn't helping us signing Bonzi, hopefully now he will not just walk and we get nothing. We really need to sign and trade as an option 2 behind signing him to a "sensible" contract, which at the moment is hard to determi with some ex Kings getting lots of $$$. Peja, BJ, and now Darius have done quite well with their new contracts, quite well indeed. :rolleyes:

Give Darius' agent a hand. I didn't think Darius could get more than half the mid-level he opted out of, and suspected he opted out for more guaranteed years. "Wow" at getting both.

If this is any indication of the future signings of free agents...it looks like whoever gets Bonzi might also overpay. Hopefully we're the ones that do it though...;)

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Maybe there is more Kings faith in our summer league "diamonds in the rough", Amundson and Williams, as backup 4/5's, than we may be assuming. The pickins' have become very slim out there for a decent 4 or 5. If Douby and Price can be the shooters we did not have last year off the bench and we get a couple of real bangers and rebounders and shot blockers off the bench, The same big 7 can win 55+ with an agressive, defensive thinking bench.

Lets just hope this mean Etan is headed to Sactown! Hell, I'd even take Ruffin.
Could be, on the move at least. I like Ruffin as a hustler/team player.

Have to see on that Cruz, Wright (4 or 5)/Cato/Kandi are still out there as decent Cs that bring what we need for FAs, and Etan and Magloire can be had in trades. But regardless, I want Amundson and Williams on the team...

Last edited:
Lets just hope this mean Etan is headed to Sactown! Hell, I'd even take Ruffin.
This signing pretty much kills that deal. I don't see Washington wanting two undersized, expensive forwards competing for the same spot. Not to mention our Darius and Kenny combo didn't exactly work out well.

I guess, Magloire it is.

This signing pretty much kills that deal. I don't see Washington wanting two undersized, expensive forwards competing for the same spot. Not to mention our Darius and Kenny combo didn't exactly work out well.

I guess, Magloire it is.
Actually, the Wiz do want to go more up-tempo/small-ball from what I've read. KT would be that mobile PF, and brings rebounding and toughness.

But, yes, this signing does lessen KT for Etan to a degree.

I'd rather try and do the Magloire deal first though.