Devin Carter to undergo shoulder surgery

Not an overreact if you never liked the draft selection to begin with.
Depends. Did you not like the draft selection because you thought he was not a good player, or because we already had a number of guards?

If the latter, we have the resources to absorb his injury. If the former, well, we'll just have to wait till longer to see if he can win minutes in a crowded back court.

It does open up opportunities for Colby and Mason. Between Fox, Keon, Monk, Kevin, both the guard spots are adequately manned. Based on schedule/injuries/blowouts, there will be minutes available for Colby, Mason, and JM. Hope one or more of these guys use this to shine. Good for them, and for the team.

Depends. Did you not like the draft selection because you thought he was not a good player, or because we already had a number of guards?

If the latter, we have the resources to absorb his injury. If the former, well, we'll just have to wait till longer to see if he can win minutes in a crowded back court.

It does open up opportunities for Colby and Mason. Between Fox, Keon, Monk, Kevin, both the guard spots are adequately manned. Based on schedule/injuries/blowouts, there will be minutes available for Colby, Mason, and JM. Hope one or more of these guys use this to shine. Good for them, and for the team.
As a prospect, I thought he was a solid player. 6’2.5” combo-guard (more of a SG) who excelled on defense, and showed good scoring ability in his final year. But I think he has real question marks around his 3pt shooting. Don’t know how anyone can ignore him he hitch in his shot. His first 2 years in college showed lackluster shooting from both 3pt and FT.

I saw too many parallels with Davion (who I was a big fan of). Older combo-guard players who emerged in their final seasons with questionable shooting, but great defensive play. Davion would be a really good player if you drafted him the 2nd round, but in the lotto?

Brings me to my second part, I don’t think Carter was a good fit on the team. We’re rich at guard between Fox, Monk, Keon, Davion, and Huerter. With the exception of Huerter, all of our guards lack size whether it be the lack of strength or length. Carter would add to that. As a SG, he has good strength and a solid wingspan, but he’s short. People have said he could guard 1-4…. Yeah, I don’t think he’ll be able to guard up to bigger wings, let alone PFs. Nonetheless, you added a defensive-minded combo-guard to a team that already has 3 there (Monk, Keon, and Davion). Looking at the starting lineup, he’s not beating Monk nor Keon in the depth chart. When it’s all said and done, you just drafted a bench player at #13 to compete for minutes with Davion. I don’t know, that just doesn’t seem like a wise use of our draft pick when you could’ve drafted someone like TDS who would’ve had a clear pathway to eventually take HB’s spot and become a starter in the future.

I think Monte drafted Carter knowing that he would require shoulder surgery AND the Kings would move on from Davion. But now, the draft pick makes even less sense to me. At #13, you just drafted a 22-year-old guard who’ll likely redshirt for his entire first season. It doesn’t make sense to sacrifice 1 entire season’s worth of play for a bench player who has all the odds stacked against him on becoming a starter on this team with how much depth we have at SG (Keon, Monk, and Huerter).

This pick only makes sense if Monte believes he can be a legitimate star in the league.

From the Kings missing the playoffs to the Kings being involved in every trade rumor, it would seem like the Kings themselves also feel an urgency to improve the team. So then why do you turn around and spend the 13th pick on someone who won’t play for an entire year?

Who? Did you actually say who you would draft, or just complain about it without offering solutions?
Who was your pick at 13? And don’t give a list of 5 names. Your single pick. That way we can all give you your props if your pick at 13 would’ve contributed to our success.
TDS. But I would’ve also preferred the following players over Carter:
  • Knecht
  • McCain
  • George

• but now knowing his shoulder surgery, I would’ve avoided drafting him altogether.

Not that big of a deal in terms of wins and losses. Doubt he'll get minutes even when healthy. Just hopeful that it's not a lingering injury. Kings are deep at the guard spot. Take time to recover fully.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
As a prospect, I thought he was a solid player. 6’2.5” combo-guard (more of a SG) who excelled on defense, and showed good scoring ability in his final year. But I think he has real question marks around his 3pt shooting. Don’t know how anyone can ignore him he hitch in his shot. His first 2 years in college showed lackluster shooting from both 3pt and FT.

I saw too many parallels with Davion (who I was a big fan of). Older combo-guard players who emerged in their final seasons with questionable shooting, but great defensive play. Davion would be a really good player if you drafted him the 2nd round, but in the lotto?

Brings me to my second part, I don’t think Carter was a good fit on the team. We’re rich at guard between Fox, Monk, Keon, Davion, and Huerter. With the exception of Huerter, all of our guards lack size whether it be the lack of strength or length. Carter would add to that. As a SG, he has good strength and a solid wingspan, but he’s short. People have said he could guard 1-4…. Yeah, I don’t think he’ll be able to guard up to bigger wings, let alone PFs. Nonetheless, you added a defensive-minded combo-guard to a team that already has 3 there (Monk, Keon, and Davion). Looking at the starting lineup, he’s not beating Monk nor Keon in the depth chart. When it’s all said and done, you just drafted a bench player at #13 to compete for minutes with Davion. I don’t know, that just doesn’t seem like a wise use of our draft pick when you could’ve drafted someone like TDS who would’ve had a clear pathway to eventually take HB’s spot and become a starter in the future.

I think Monte drafted Carter knowing that he would require shoulder surgery AND the Kings would move on from Davion. But now, the draft pick makes even less sense to me. At #13, you just drafted a 22-year-old guard who’ll likely redshirt for his entire first season. It doesn’t make sense to sacrifice 1 entire season’s worth of play for a bench player who has all the odds stacked against him on becoming a starter on this team with how much depth we have at SG (Keon, Monk, and Huerter).

This pick only makes sense if Monte believes he can be a legitimate star in the league.

From the Kings missing the playoffs to the Kings being involved in every trade rumor, it would seem like the Kings themselves also feel an urgency to improve the team. So then why do you turn around and spend the 13th pick on someone who won’t play for an entire year?

• Knecht
  • McCain
  • George

• but now knowing his shoulder surgery, I would’ve avoided drafting him altogether.
Carter isn't a player that has 1 season to show what he is. You know, the good thing is that he in theory CAN play sooner than later, but that doesn't mean he lacks upside. In fact, in regards to his two way potential and athletic ability, that's why he has the upside he does. Does Monte expect him to be a star? Who knows, maybe. I will say this, he's got more parallels to someone like Kawhi than not. Very similar in a lot of facets. Devin is smaller but has already potentially shown more as a shooter. Keep watching, if he's real, we'll see. Might even make up for some mistakes of the past to some degree.

• Knecht
  • McCain
  • George

Fair points. I’m not of the belief he misses the whole season because of the surgery but if he does I might lean more toward your take of “wasted pick.”

• Knecht
  • McCain
  • George

Bro, did you even watch his highlights? He is no Davion Mitchell. He plays like a true PG, penetrate...not afraid of attacking the basket and assist and in defense, he play bigger than he is...blocking even the taller players. He's already miles ahead of Mitchell defensively and offensively. Mitchell has no offense, he's a scripted PG and couldn't function and play dynamically, doesn't see the floor well (due to lack of awareness). That's why he's reduced to just a spot shooter most of the time. His defense although locked down but can be beat (due to heavy foot planted and slight delay in recovery). Carter's defense is much better...he's quick at his feet and his read and recovery is much quicker. He's exceptional when it comes to help team defense which is what Mike Brown needed.

Last edited:
As noted, The recovery time-table is an estimate. He should be able to do some cardio, drills, and strength stuff faster or much faster than 6 months with no injuries to legs and core. Probably unable to do weight bearing or some range of motion on the injured shoulder for several months - will use MRIs to judge healing periodically after a few months..

Bro, did you even watch his highlights? He is no Davion Mitchell. He plays like a true PG, penetrate...not afraid of attacking the basket and assist and in defense, he play bigger than he is...blocking even the taller players. He's already miles ahead of Mitchell defensively and offensively. Mitchell has no offense, he's a scripted PG and couldn't function and play dynamically, doesn't see the floor well (due to lack of awareness). That's why he's reduced to just a spot shooter most of the time. His defense although locked down but can be beat (due to heavy foot planted and slight delay in recovery). Carter's defense is much better...he's quick at his feet and his read and recovery is much quicker. He's exceptional when it comes to help team defense which is what Mike Brown needed.
the quoted part has zero credibility. Mitchell can stay in front of people better than most NBA players.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
the quoted part has zero credibility. Mitchell can stay in front of people better than most NBA players.
Pick and roll help and switching is still the name of the game for the demands of Browns defense so players have to be able to guard up. Davion was consistently targeted in Browns guard centric lineups. We'll see what happens with this new crop of guards.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Sure, but Mitchell also frequently got abused because of his size. I’ve always said, people always liked the idea of Davion Mitchell far more than the actual player we got on the court the majority of the time.

Sure, but Mitchell also frequently got abused because of his size. I’ve always said, people always liked the idea of Davion Mitchell far more than the actual player we got on the court the majority of the time.
Yeah, this is fairly true. Because Davion had a ton of "clamp" highlights, he gave off the impression of being a stud lockdown defender. But his impact metrics are not favorable at all to him.

Exactly. And Monte said it wasn’t an issue for the Kings so they drafted him anyways.
Not only that, but canceled all there trades for him too. I'm assuming they had a good idea how hurt he was when drafting. Can't imagine this was a surprise at all.

But at any rate, should show how highly we value him on our board. Willing to forgo a vet trade and possibly have him miss half his rookie year, and still take him

yeah but it was really his standing reach that people could just rise up and shoot over when he closed out. Carter with only a 2” greater standing reach isn’t significantly better. Carter’s wingspan is better but that only helps in terms of passing lanes not closing out.

Yep because very rarely did a PG clear out and try and take Davion 1 on 1. Scrub him off on a screen and his defense goes from elite to pedestrian in a hurry.
cracks me up how this place defends someone to the 9’s when he is a King then suddenly nothing he does is good when he is gone.

Davion was able to get over screens better than many guards in the NBA and certainly he and Keon were among the best on the team. If Carter can navigate screens as well as Davion that will be the first step in him becoming a very good NBA defender.

yeah but it was really his standing reach that people could just rise up and shoot over when he closed out. Carter with only a 2” greater standing reach isn’t significantly better. Carter’s wingspan is better but that only helps in terms of passing lanes not closing out.
You forgot vertical again! ;)

0.4 BLKs per 40 min vs. 1.1 BLKs per 40 min. As the tape shows, there’s a reason why there’s a difference.

vertical doesn’t help much closing out on shooters as coaches don’t typically want you to leave your feet.
If you’re contesting a shot, it’s usually a good idea to jump. I would even go as far as to say ALL of the best defenders this league has seen mastered the art of jumping when contesting shots :)

EDIT: @sactowndog here’s some good reading on closeouts and has a video at the end to watch as well: https://www.hooperuniversity.com/breakdowns/the-right-way-to-closeout-and-contest

Here’s a quote directly from the article…

ARE WE LEAVING OUR FEET TO CONTEST THE SHOT?

In the event the offensive player does rise up to shoot off the catch, are we leaving our feet to contest the shot? Yes, we are leaving our feet to contest the shot at the highest point, but we are jumping second. This means we are leaving our feet second, after the offensive player has already left the ground and initiated his shot.

Last edited: