Kings after Ingram

I would encourage you all to look at offseason transactions around the league from just the last couple of seasons:

https://www.nba.com/news/2023-offseason-trade-tracker

https://www.nba.com/news/2022-offseason-trade-tracker

You'll note that significant trades for significant players occurred long after this point in the offseason in both 2022 and 2023. Damian Lillard wasn't traded until the end of September last year! The year prior, the Mitchell/Markkanen trade wasn't executed until the beginning of September. Huerter himself wasn't acquired by the Kings until July 6th. The folks fretting about whether or not the Kings will "run it back" have ample reason to be a bit nervy, but those acting as if a deal could not possibly :eek:o_O:eek:o_O materialize after the 4th of July are being just plain silly.

I'll stay optimistic about running it back.

-Keon emerging as a two way upgrade over Huerter is huge.
-Carter could potentially have a larger impact than "Davion upgrade".
-Fox needs to not take his usual 6 weeks off mid season to play like **** and have a **** attitude. Give this fella some vitamin D supplements or something in the winter. If he plays at a high level all season we get at least 5 more Ws.
-Keegan needs to take that leap and give us a big 3. I'm optimistic.
-Domas needs to take a few more outside shots per game. Fox needs to take a few more middies a game because he's elite at that range.
-We've needed a HB upgrade for like, 4 years.

BI would have been nice but I think we're still anywhere from a 4-6 seed without him.
I think what "run it back" means really matters here.

If "run it back" means that this is our Day 1 roster, with a few vet minimum guys added to fill out the roster, that is probably not going to cut it. I don't think we can go into the season with Huerter as a 5th guard/backup SF and not have that just kill his value. I think, at a minimum, we have to find a home for Huerter this offseason, otherwise his value is going to be similar to Davion, and he is going to be a huge albatross on our cap sheet that we will have to salary dump. We absolutely have to fix that imbalance before it is too late.

But if you can get something of value for Huerter (preferably a 3/4 type), and use your MLE to add someone like Martin, Highsmith, or Okoro, then I don't think a runback without a bigger move is the worst thing. Hopefully see some internal growth for Keegan, improvements based on Keon and Carter, and maybe the guy you get for Huerter can push Barnes to the bench. That isn't splashy, but it likely gets you competing for the top 6, keeps your draft capital intact, and keeps you flexible for a move at the deadline or next offseason. This is NOT my preferred option, but I can see the sense of not forcing a move for the sake of forcing a move.

Lets hope we're not left to assume that they made the trade to clear space, thinking they would then get someone high on their list, only to find out that nobody will go for that without Murray.
you left out 2 years in a row.

My issue with Monte is not he couldn’t get free agents to come here. No one can.

My issue is as a draft “guru” he traded draft capital for nothing 2 years in a row to create cap space he couldn’t fill. Especially when drafting is supposed to be your forte. Then when you did draft, you repeatedly took smaller guards who are very hard to trade.

Monte can project talent but his roster management skills are abysmal. He is as bad at roster management as Vlade was at drafting.

If we get no one, as it looks likely currently, the next major decision point will be whether to trade Fox for a decent return at the trade deadline. I fully expect Monte to F that up also and for us to lose Fox for nothing in free agency.

[QUOTE="The_Jamal, post: 1814340, member: 4792"]I could see Vivek getting involved here too "star or bust" type mentality from him.
But yeah, you can't pass on all the wing depth signed this offseason in the name of star hunting...to just strike out on star hunting. For a team that stalled last year, it's death[/QUOTE]

Going after BI seems more Vivek meddling (via Alvin Gentry) than a Monte move where he would have to over pay for a non-star who will want a max contract. Vivek is more behind the scenes now, but I think still a difficult meddling owner with low BB knowledge. I imagine it’s hard to GM under Vivek.

[QUOTE="The_Jamal, post: 1814340, member: 4792"]I could see Vivek getting involved here too "star or bust" type mentality from him.
But yeah, you can't pass on all the wing depth signed this offseason in the name of star hunting...to just strike out on star hunting. For a team that stalled last year, it's death

Going after BI seems more Vivek meddling (via Alvin Gentry) than a Monte move where he would have to over pay for a non-star who will want a max contract. Vivek is more behind the scenes now, but I think still a difficult meddling owner with low BB knowledge. I imagine it’s hard to GM under Vivek.[/QUOTE]

Vivek was a big part of why we didn’t trade Barnes for Nesmith and a 1st.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
you left out 2 years in a row.

My issue with Monte is not he couldn’t get free agents to come here. No one can.

My issue is as a draft “guru” he traded draft capital for nothing 2 years in a row to create cap space he couldn’t fill. Especially when drafting is supposed to be your forte. Then when you did draft, you repeatedly took smaller guards who are very hard to trade.

Monte can project talent but his roster management skills are abysmal. He is as bad at roster management as Vlade was at drafting.

If we get no one, as it looks likely currently, the next major decision point will be whether to trade Fox for a decent return at the trade deadline. I fully expect Monte to F that up also and for us to lose Fox for nothing in free agency.
Fox isn’t going anywhere. The only reason he didn’t sign is because he’s chasing All-NBA money. If/when he doesn’t make the All-NBA again, he’s signing the max still because we can give him more than anything. “Waiting to see the direction” is just a clever way to put pressure on the team to improve without actually saying he wants the biggest bag possible.

As a team the Kings need to hit their free throws. Last season they were dead last in FT% while only being 21st in FT attempts per game. Move both of those to even League average and it likely means 3-4 more wins at least.
It certainly makes it tough when your two lead players are not reliable and consistent from the line. One of the reasons they are not quite as valuable as their salary makes them out to be

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Fox isn’t going anywhere. The only reason he didn’t sign is because he’s chasing All-NBA money. If/when he doesn’t make the All-NBA again, he’s signing the max still because we can give him more than anything. “Waiting to see the direction” is just a clever way to put pressure on the team to improve without actually saying he wants the biggest bag possible.
Right. The cap is going up ten percent per year for the next couple of seasons AND if Fox gets another All-NBA slot next year, he qualifies for the Tatum level supermax. I’d honestly be MORE concerned if he straight up took the early extension.

I would encourage you all to look at offseason transactions around the league from just the last couple of seasons:

https://www.nba.com/news/2023-offseason-trade-tracker

https://www.nba.com/news/2022-offseason-trade-tracker

You'll note that significant trades for significant players occurred long after this point in the offseason in both 2022 and 2023. Damian Lillard wasn't traded until the end of September last year! The year prior, the Mitchell/Markkanen trade wasn't executed until the beginning of September. Huerter himself wasn't acquired by the Kings until July 6th. The folks fretting about whether or not the Kings will "run it back" have ample reason to be a bit nervy, but those acting as if a deal could not possibly :eek:o_O:eek:o_O materialize after the 4th of July are being just plain silly.
A reasonable and patient take?

Attachments

did you listen to Sam Amick? He would disagree with you. Also Fox is a Klutch client and his contract aligns nicely with the end of LeBron’s.

Last edited:
So my question is do the Pels really want to move Ingram? I suspect Monte is sweating them out knowing they need Ingram gone more than we need to sign him. Just my sense it may not work out, which would probably be a blessing in disguise. Signing Ingram to an extension puts us in the cap cell. This whole “big three” theory hasn’t worked out so well for Phoenix. My only question is why wouldn’t we sign Slawson for another big body? Hopefully Huerter has a bounce back year and we can offload him before the trade deadline for a serviceable PF. If he does bounce back I can see many on here exclaiming, he’s untradable. Of course I’m kidding.

So my question is do the Pels really want to move Ingram? I suspect Monte is sweating them out knowing they need Ingram gone more than we need to sign him. Just my sense it may not work out, which would probably be a blessing in disguise. Signing Ingram to an extension puts us in the cap cell. This whole “big three” theory hasn’t worked out so well for Phoenix. My only question is why wouldn’t we sign Slawson for another big body? Hopefully Huerter has a bounce back year and we can offload him before the trade deadline for a serviceable PF. If he does bounce back I can see many on here exclaiming, he’s untradable. Of course I’m kidding.
Slawson isn't that big of body. He's a small 4

I’m a bit confused why his situation wouldn’t just be the same here as it is there. We still need to pay Keegan.

I see Haywood Highsmith is still out there. Saw a blurb about the Sixers looking at him. That would be disappointing if he could be had on a reasonable contract and Monte whiffs on him because he's waiting on Ingram.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
You can if you'd like. Others think it was a joke of a situation and will say so
I believe they had the best record in the West the two years she was there. I don't know what the joke is, this was not the high level executive job it is portrayed as, as far as nepo-baby jobs go it was pretty much ... well no, it was literally, the minor leagues.

I believe they had the best record in the West the two years she was there. I don't know what the joke is, this was not the high level executive job it is portrayed as, as far as nepo-baby jobs go it was pretty much ... well no, it was literally, the minor leagues.
The 'joke' is what you stated in the first place. "I don't think she had jack to do with it...."

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The 'joke' is what you stated in the first place. "I don't think she had jack to do with it...."
Because it was an operational level job but everyone was treating it like she was the big-team GM.

The main point is the organization flourished during her tenure and she got valuable experience in case she ever winds up in a bigger role because her dad dies or something like that. It's not unusual for the children of owners to join the enterprise and yet Anjali has been mocked ruthlessly for doing pretty low level jobs. I just don't think its fair and I'm grateful that Vivek didn't give her an EVP job right off the bat. We all should be.

If there is anything to criticize about it, it's that she decided to move on instead of continue pursuing a larger earned role in the organization. Actually, I'm upset about that.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Because it was an operational level job but everyone was treating it like she was the big-team GM.

The main point is the organization flourished during her tenure and she got valuable experience in case she ever winds up in a bigger role because her dad dies or something like that. It's not unusual for the children of owners to join the enterprise and yet Anjali has been mocked ruthlessly for doing pretty low level jobs. I just don't think its fair and I'm grateful that Vivek didn't give her an EVP job right off the bat. We all should be.

If there is anything to criticize about it, it's that she decided to move on instead of continue pursuing a larger earned role in the organization. Actually, I'm upset about that.
“y’know maybe basketball GMing isn’t my thing. I think I’ll go back to school and get my PHD and just go back to rooting for the Kings as a fan.”

Kings fans: “what a joke!”

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
“y’know maybe basketball GMing isn’t my thing. I think I’ll go back to school and get my PHD and just go back to rooting for the Kings as a fan.”

Kings fans: “what a joke!”
I think she'll probably come back after the PhD or if a larger role shows up. It's just the nature of family businesses and kids within them. Unless the modern experience with social media and the nepo-baby stuff turned her off for good. I have pretty direct first hand experience in this realm and made going my own way a point, sometimes I regret this. But I think I am better off for it, probably not financially though.

I'm not in favor of someone who has no idea what they're doing with a basketball team, being in a position to potentially make important decisions for my team....and I'm certainly not going to thank Vivek for any of it. Sounds like you may have a different opinion and I have no problem with that.

How about this deal:
Kings get: DeRozen, Ingram
Bulls get: Duarte, McDaniels, Huerter 1st round
Pelicans: Barnes, Vucevic 1st round

Bulls get 2 expired contracts and Huerter they like. Get a 1st round for shipping out Vucevic
Pelicans get Barnes and a center they want plus 1st round
Kings get DeRozen in around $19-20mil contract and Ingram. Hopefully, this doesn't get over the tax apron