Kings trade Richaun Holmes and 24th overall pick to Mavericks for ????

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
He also likely still wanna be living in California... ?
Yeah, I would think so. He's from CA and played his college ball a few hours away at Fresno State. That was presumably a big part of why he went to the Clippers in the first place. He's under contract though so I don't know how much that matters, The Clippers will want to trade him to whoever gives them the most value. They're going to want Keegan just like everyone else so I don't know how realistic our chances are unless we can get him for cap space and draft picks.

I can see Monte being conservative in that sense if his plan doesn't work out, but Monte didn't create cap to sign role guys I'd bet.
The hoopshype article posted by @Hoovtrain helped clarify things up a bit, but at first instance, this looked like Vivek being a cheapskate rather than some big plan to sign an impact guy.

As of now, we have 6 players on the roster. If we pick the option of Kessler, and extend a QO to Neemias, that goes up to 8. I'm not counting our SRP, since I expect them to spend the year in Stockton.

Adding Sasha with the room exception brings us to 9. We need at least 3 more guys, mostly in the front court to fill out the roster. An "impact" FA will take up most of the cap, meaning the rest of the roster will be filled out by minimum salary guys.

Needless to say, our current roster is guard heavy. Some of the players have the height, if not the build to slide to 3. I think we'll see a lot more 3 guard lineups this year (unless, we get an impact SF like OG). Assuming Keegan moves to PF, we have no one behind him, and Neemias has still to prove anything in the main league to be thrust with the responsibility of backing up Domas. So, lots of question marks.

Let's see what Monte is able to turn this cap space into. My guess would be that part of this is used to pay Domas, and the rest is used to fill out the roster with useful, but not "impact" guys. I mean more Trey and less Kuzma, but we'll see.

By itself, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Most contending teams are built around a big 2, or in some cases, a big 3. The latter is often a challenge, since it typically forces teams to go deep into LT, or have no depth. Fortunately, our big 2 are not being paid like tier 1 stars, so we are not in salary hell (hopefully, their performance inches up to those levels though). Plus, our biggest hope for the third member of the big-3 is a rookie, who is getting paid peanuts by contrast. If he can jump to the next level, we already have our impact guy, and need to fill out the roster with complementary pieces.

Paul George on this team would certainly elevate us as a franchise and give us another guy that shines in crunch time. Such a smooth and excellent player. However, the asking price will be enormous so we have to ask ourselves, how far are we willing to go for a 33 year old, however good he may be now? He would fit us like a glove and he wouldn’t be tasked with being the focal point on offense, but LA will want a ransom for him I’m sure. I’m genuinely torn.

Paul George could elevate us to contender level. However, do we want to extend him for something crazy like a 4 year 220 million contract as he is likely to exercise his player option to opt out next year? If it turns out to be an one-year rental, it would not be worth it.

I don’t think it’s a championship core. But with right pieces I think we could win some series. That’s honestly good enough for me. Win a series. Get hot. Give yourself a chance.

As is, I can’t see the arrow any higher than last season. Everything went so right. Keegan is going to improve. But will everyone else maintain their career level seasons they had? That’s where I’m less sure.
Heat going to the finals twice in a short span has proven that it is quite possible to advance far in the playoffs if a team gets hot at the right time and other stuff(mainly injuries to opponents and some upsets that clear the bracket) goes your way

Yeah, I would think so. He's from CA and played his college ball a few hours away at Fresno State. That was presumably a big part of why he went to the Clippers in the first place. He's under contract though so I don't know how much that matters, The Clippers will want to trade him to whoever gives them the most value. They're going to want Keegan just like everyone else so I don't know how realistic our chances are unless we can get him for cap space and draft picks.
the Clippers don’t have many options really to get out of the 2nd Apron. The other teams that can take a PG contract and not take any dollars back aren’t on the right time frame.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
clearing cap certainly made sense here. We could take PG-13 into our cap space and Dallas could send a lottery protected first to the Clippers.
The Mavs aren't sending anything valuable out to complete the deal. It'll be something like cash considerations or a heavily protected 2nd rounder that isn't likely to ever convey.

How I feel about the following free agents and who the Kings should sign:

Naz Reid (sign him for backup center)....$10millions?
Lopez (sign for backup center)...either him or Reid is ideal pick up.
Middleton (even though he's a bit aging but he's still the BEST prospect out there of all the free agents I feel)...for $30million? YES!!!
Cam Johnson (will make the Kings more explosive but make the team even weaker in size unless Keegan grew in size and toughness)...$15millions?
Kuzma (please, DO NOT sign this guy...he ain't doing much on the court ...overrated I feel)
Jerami Grant ( ain't much improve over Barnes)
Siakum (YES, a definite upgrade and improve but Toronto may not be trading him).
OG Anunuby (YES, but Toronto is probably not going to remove him).
John Collins (not a bad fit I feel). I honestly don't mind if the Kings trade for him. Move Murray to SF spot. Collins is going to help with rebounding and block shots which is what the Kings lack.
Christian Wood (I feel he's an ideal fit and he's been underrated). Maybe the perfect piece but need to move Murray to the SF spot. I read he has bad attitude off that court. Maybe that's why he keep getting traded. He got traded pretty much every single year lol and yet his stats show he's a impact player on the floor lol.

Last edited:
Assuming they are the same price I would prefer Wood over Naz simply because he gives both vertical and floor spacing, I think both would have the same problems playing at the 4 but could make it work somewhat. Naz while he can be a lob threat I guess it's not the same like it is with Wood. I'm still on signing Dillion Brooks for cheap he got scapegoated for the Grizzlies team being hurt and their stars not really stepping up (JJJ has avoided all critisims after getting obliterated by Davis).

If Wood is signed to a decent price and Brooks as the SF
Fox/Monk/Mitchell
Huerter/Monk/Pick
Murray/Brooks
Wood/Sasha/Murray
Sabonis/Wood

While not world beaters on "paper" (on paper Celtics should be 2 times champs at least) certainly a force to be reckoned with. Thats 5 potential guys if given shots can score 17-20+ in Monk/Wood/Fox/Sabonis/Murray. Brooks gives you a pest along with Mitchell off the bench to bring energy and mix things up.

Last edited:
I'm still on signing Dillion Brooks for cheap he got scapegoated for the Grizzlies team being hurt and their stars not really stepping up (JJJ has avoided all critisims after getting obliterated by Davis).

If Wood is signed to a decent price and Brooks as the SF
Fox/Monk/Mitchell
Huerter/Monk/Pick
Murray/Brooks
Wood/Sasha/Murray
Sabonis/Wood

While not world beaters on "paper" (on paper Celtics should be 2 times champs at least) certainly a force to be reckoned with. Thats 5 potential guys if given shots can score 17-20+ in Monk/Wood/Fox/Sabonis/Murray. Brooks gives you a pest along with Mitchell off the bench to bring energy and mix things up.
I am not down on Brooks. I think he killed team chemistry because he would jack up brick after brick because he tend to play for himself and kill any team momentum. I remember two years ago, he literally destroyed the Grizzlies any chances or momentum against the Warriors in the Playoffs because he's playing the game as if he's a superstar...hogging the ball jacking up shots like it's nobody business. I cannot believe he's allowed to do that giving the fact that they have Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr on the floor.

If you want to find out which players in the NBA contribute and make a huge impact on the floor, go to the link below and type in the player's name and check out their stats...in particular look at the "PER." This tells you how much of an impact the players have on the team. Look at Dillon Brooks, it's pathetic:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01.html

This was a salary dump. We are paying them with our first rounder this year to take on R's salary. It's a very good deal for us.
While I totally understand that, and in a vacuum get the logic, I think my disappointment comes largely from my apparently misplaced belief Holmes could actually be a trade asset, rather than a bad contract the Kings would need to escape by giving up real value. Wallowed in that cognitive dissonance for a bit when the news of the trade first leaked.

Well, and I’m not exactly blown away by the options in this year’s free agency pool to warrant chasing cap space. Hoping this is somehow related to a forthcoming clever trade scheme to nab that long-coveted, third option, 3-and-D wing.

Regardless, McNair has earned enough goodwill to at least have bought himself one off-season of me not chicken little-ing my way through the summer.

While I totally understand that, and in a vacuum get the logic, I think my disappointment comes largely from my apparently misplaced belief Holmes could actually be a trade asset, rather than a bad contract the Kings would need to escape by giving up real value. Wallowed in that cognitive dissonance for a bit when the news of the trade first leaked.

Well, and I’m not exactly blown away by the options in this year’s free agency pool to warrant chasing cap space. Hoping this is somehow related to a forthcoming clever trade scheme to nab that long-coveted, third option, 3-and-D wing.

Regardless, McNair has earned enough goodwill to at least have bought himself one off-season of me not chicken little-ing my way through the summer.
Depending on what we end up doing with our cap, it may turn out to be a cheap move to save money. It's quite possible that we end up with a roster not very different from last year, except without Holmes, without our FRP, and Barnes replaced with some other similar level vet (or Barnes coming back). Let's see.

As for Holmes, I think he would have had value next year as an expiring contract, who can still contribute on the court, and is a good teammate. Teams would have been lot more willing to pay his slightly inflated salary for one year, and we might have been able to get something of value. We nuked that chance, and also lost our FRP in the process.

ps: I'm not counting Sasha in the above moves, since his signing would be independent of the Holmes trade.