Kings trade Richaun Holmes and 24th overall pick to Mavericks for ????

I'm cool with the following and feel like most of you would be cool with the following.

Sign Bruce Brown and bring back Harrison Barnes on a lesser deal.

I don't think we need to make a splash, the pieces are already there.

We just need to progress as a unit and I think that would be an awesome squad to work with.

Fox
Huerter (I want to see a more improved Huerter)
Bruce Brown or Colby Jones whenever he's ready
Keegan Murray
Domantas Sabonis

Mitchell
Monk
Kessler Edwards Bruce Brown Colby Jones
Barnes Sasha Vezenkov
Whoever you want could be Lyles Queta if he's ready

This looks like a good squad to me.

Good vibes, they can grow, and probably will be very good.

Who wouldn't be happy with this?
I can see Monte being conservative in that sense if his plan doesn't work out, but Monte didn't create cap to sign role guys I'd bet.

That is not correct.

In order to get that level of cap space we will need to renounce the rights to all of our players - Barnes and Lyles included - and renounce the full MLE. We might have enough cap space left to make a plausible offer to either Lyles or Vezenkov, and then we would get the smaller "Room MLE" which could potentially be used on the other. But the bottom line is that we can do Barnes + Lyles + MLE (Vezenkov or ??), or we can do Scenarios 1/2/3 with a room MLE (Lyles/Vezenkov) and maybe enough cap space for the other but basically no chance at Barnes.
Thanks for the clarification.

That is not correct.

In order to get that level of cap space we will need to renounce the rights to all of our players - Barnes and Lyles included - and renounce the full MLE. We might have enough cap space left to make a plausible offer to either Lyles or Vezenkov, and then we would get the smaller "Room MLE" which could potentially be used on the other. But the bottom line is that we can do Barnes + Lyles + MLE (Vezenkov or ??), or we can do Scenarios 1/2/3 with a room MLE (Lyles/Vezenkov) and maybe enough cap space for the other but basically no chance at Barnes.
I would imagine the Kings would rather use something like the room MLE to sign someone (Sasha) anyway.

I can see Monte being conservative in that sense if his plan doesn't work out, but Monte didn't create cap to sign role guys I'd bet.
I just looked at the list of FA and I'm not intrigued tbh.

If there were a FA out there that intrigued me I wouldn't have gone that route but I just don't see it.

I think it'd be overpaying for someone that wouldn't be a great fit

I just looked at the list of FA and I'm not intrigued tbh.

If there were a FA out there that intrigued me I wouldn't have gone that route but I just don't see it.

I think it'd be overpaying for someone that wouldn't be a great fit
Well, one thing is for sure, at least 2 FA's have been connected to Sac at some point, Kuz and Grant. Especially Grant. Then there's Harden depending of the strength of recent rumors that the Kings were interested in him at one point. Personally, I still think that space could be best used to trade for someone. Collins straight across for cap space has to be an option.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I would imagine the Kings would rather use something like the room MLE to sign someone (Sasha) anyway.
If you're thinking in terms of the MLE being an overpay, teams are able to split up the MLE. That would mean it would be possible to sigh Sasha to a $7M contract with the MLE and still have about $5M MLE remaining that could be used on another player. So there's not really an advantage to the Room MLE outside of the fact that you originally had actual cap space.

To be fair, that strategy only worked because they have Draymond and Looney AND our best player broke his finger halfway through the series.
not really. If you have any big that can protect the basket putting them in a deep drop and overplaying the wings will work as long a Sabonis can’t shoot and make the 15-20 ft

Well, one thing is for sure, at least 2 FA's have been connected to Sac at some point, Kuz and Grant. Especially Grant. Then there's Harden depending of the strength of recent rumors that the Kings were interested in him at one point. Personally, I still think that space could be best used to trade for someone. Collins straight across for cap space has to be an option.
Ah, good point.

I'm not really thinking about the trade aspect and our cap space not sure what is possible with that

yeah good article. This summer is likely to be very binary. We have cap space and hopefully can sign an impact forward. If we do so it could be a missing piece.

Historically free agents don’t want to come here so Monty has that history to overcome. It’s not clear Vivek wants to spend the money.

We are going to learn a lot about this team and organizations potential to win play-off rounds the next couple weeks.

If you're thinking in terms of the MLE being an overpay, teams are able to split up the MLE. That would mean it would be possible to sigh Sasha to a $7M contract with the MLE and still have about $5M MLE remaining that could be used on another player. So there's not really an advantage to the Room MLE outside of the fact that you originally had actual cap space.
That's the point though, the Kings are clearly looking to have cap space otherwise Monte doesn't make this move. The room MLE being used doesn't hamper the Kings the same way a BAE would does it? Doesn't that like hard cap the team at a certain amount?

That's the point though, the Kings are clearly looking to have cap space otherwise Monte doesn't make this move. The room MLE being used doesn't hamper the Kings the same way a BAE would does it? Doesn't that like hard cap the team at a certain amount?
Do we know that? I don’t think we know yet…..

1) it could be the Kings cleared cap space to sign a impact free agent that costs 25M+

or

2) it could be the Kings reduced their salary structure to resign Domas and avoid going over the cap or get in the first apron

both options are possible and the organization has not stated clearly one way or the other which in itself is a small bit concerning.

1) it could be the Kings cleared cap space to sign a impact free agent that costs 25M+

or

2) it could be the Kings reduced their salary structure to resign Domas and avoid going over the cap or get in the first apron

both options are possible and the organization has not stated clearly one way or the other which in itself is a small bit concerning.
Why is it concerning? It would be way more concerning if Monte tipped his hand about his free agency intentions to appease fans so that they don’t get all twisted about some theory James Ham is spinning. This is big boy basketball. We fans can wait two weeks to let things play out, without Monte disadvantaging himself by telling the world he intends to bid $35M on free agents.

If fans want to spin over a rumor James Ham started, then let them.

Hartenstein and Grant would be my top two FA targets.

That would be a phenomenal offseason.

Barnes/Huerter chocked badly that's not getting figured out they had wide open shots.
yeah I don’t think anyone got figured out. I think some folks just puckered a bit. But we also knew that the Ws were doing to dare Sabonis to beat them from outside, but that said he still had a pretty awful series

Well guess what team just came into a large amount of cap space, could actually use a lot of those pieces, and kinda wants its draft pick back next year.
Until proven otherwise, my gut feeling is that Monte freed up the cap space to make a trade (and not to chase big money free agents i.e. Dramond, Grant, Zuzma) and absorb a John Collins type contract for a couple of 2nd rounders.

He fits our timeline and if he regains his form from a couple of years ago, he would be an upgrade on both defense and offense from the power forward position. If they give us back our 1st rounder (which I doubt) that would just be the cherry on top of such deal.

Last edited:

or

Well, then one involves being basically cheap and other is about competing for a title. I really am going to give Vivek and Monte more credit than that.

Have a question but couldn't find a suitable answer in the previous NBA CBA FAQ. This trade doesn't appear to be officially completed yet. Everyone assumes the Kings are now a under the cap team.

Can the Kings do either a S&T or absorb a player into the deal simultaneously and continue to operate as a over the cap team (possibly renouncing whatever combination of free agents necessary) at the same time?

Why is it concerning? It would be way more concerning if Monte tipped his hand about his free agency intentions to appease fans so that they don’t get all twisted about some theory James Ham is spinning. This is big boy basketball. We fans can wait two weeks to let things play out, without Monte disadvantaging himself by telling the world he intends to bid $35M on free agents.

If fans want to spin over a rumor James Ham started, then let them.
It's concerning for some of them who share the same train of thought because they aren't convinced of Monte's ability still yet. (and clearly, it's not a Monte solo act, every chance he got with a hot mic he praised his staff... ) And carrying the old train of thought, people would still hate to come to Sacramento. Even though we have had a whole new regime that successfully brought us to our first Playoffs series in 17 years.

It would be concerning if I share all those worries.

Have a question but couldn't find a suitable answer in the previous NBA CBA FAQ. This trade doesn't appear to be officially completed yet. Everyone assumes the Kings are now a under the cap team.

Can the Kings do either a S&T or absorb a player into the deal simultaneously and continue to operate as a over the cap team (possibly renouncing whatever combination of free agents necessary) at the same time?
Holmes still has to take a physical.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Now this is interesting. He might not be the GOAT but PG has finished second in DPOY voting twice and been voted All-NBA 6 times. He just turned 33 and he's currently 14th on the All-Time 3PM leaderboard. Of all the guys in his age group, he's the one guy I'd be most willing to take a chance on because the fit would be incredible. Is he healthy enough to play a full season though?

Now this is interesting. He might not be the GOAT but PG has finished second in DPOY voting twice and been voted All-NBA 6 times. He just turned 33 and he's currently 14th on the All-Time 3PM leaderboard. Of all the guys in his age group, he's the one guy I'd be most willing to take a chance on because the fit would be incredible. Is he healthy enough to play a full season though?
He also likely still wanna be living in California... ?