Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Unfortunately, since we didn't get in the mix before the trade deadline, IMO I think we are determined to run it with this current crew this season. I doubt we'd suddenly think to add "extra depth" now.
Yeah, I think this is it. They are going with chemistry over need and we'll see what that does in the playoffs. Depending on what happens determines how aggressive Monte has to be come draft night, FA, and with trades once the season has wrapped. In the playoffs guys like Metu, Davion, Lyles, and TD determine whether or not Fox and Domas burn up playing near 48 per game, lol. That might get you through a series but 4 sets of 7 games ain't happening. There's not any tricking your way through that unless other teams get boned with injuries.

Standing pat with the winning current team may be a clever strategy in the long run. If the Kings make the playoffs and do well on top of that then there will be more free agents and trade possibilities that actually WANT to play here. Nobody wants to play for a "loser" but being on and contributing to a "winner" is a strong incentive. It could help in obtaining some top talent for some of the Kings' areas of need..

Standing pat with the winning current team may be a clever strategy in the long run. If the Kings make the playoffs and do well on top of that then there will be more free agents and trade possibilities that actually WANT to play here. Nobody wants to play for a "loser" but being on and contributing to a "winner" is a strong incentive. It could help in obtaining some top talent for some of the Kings' areas of need..
Minus those Dion Waiter types of heliocentric players, who wouldn't want to run with the league's number 1 offense?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
While there's a few players I wouldn't have minded targeting in the buyout sector, I think barring injury - like with KZ - it might be considered bad form to waive vet guys on budget depth contracts when you're healthy and a top 3 seed.

It's been close to 20 years since I've been a fan of a team in this position though, so I'm not up to date on playoff roster etiquette. Normally you waive guys so they can have a role on a winner, I'm not sure about cutting bench depth to add also not likely to play bench depth.

Can you guys give a summary of the trade he's talking about? Can't listen to the audio at the moment.
Can you guys give a summary of the trade he's talking about? Can't listen to the audio at the moment.
No mention of which player is involved. Just that it would have been “quite prominent”. Makes me think Monte will be gunning for a big piece this off-season. But I’m going to enjoy the hell out of this season before thinking to much about that.

No mention of which player is involved. Just that it would have been “quite prominent”. Makes me think Monte will be gunning for a big piece this off-season. But I’m going to enjoy the hell out of this season before thinking to much about that.
Sorry, I too plan to enjoy the hell out of this season but am always thinking what player Id add to this mix. I like Siakam, helps I’m a UNM grad, not State but close enough, New Mexicans need to support each other.
Still only 28 and I can’t think of a better fit. Would the Raps finally consider moving him for the right price? They will likely make the playins, maybe even grab the 8th seed but that sounds like a letdown to me, maybe time to shake it up but what would it take?

No mention of which player is involved. Just that it would have been “quite prominent”. Makes me think Monte will be gunning for a big piece this off-season. But I’m going to enjoy the hell out of this season before thinking too much about that.
That’s an interesting sound bite. He said he would reveal names and teams when he can. If the trade was in the off-season it would have been for the 4th pick. Siakam is my guess.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1940119/

This really chaos my hide

I listened to audio blurb - it has a happier ending than the written excerp: Kings emphatically moving past this.
Thanks for the link! For anyone curious, it starts at 36:00, but I think the entire podcast was worth a listen.

If things keep going the way they have been here, that's an agent that's going to start losing clients.
I wouldn't be completely surprised if it was the player who didn't want to come, but used their agent to tell the message. Stein probably wants to be favorable to the player so he phrased it as the agent as the one refusing the trade.

I'm trying to see who the possibilities are. A couple have suggested Siakam, but it could've been someone who ended up being traded for a different package. Any trade around a big player would've 100% included the #4 pick at the minimum. Just to guess, it was probably #4 overall, future 1sts, and possible pick swaps depending on the player caliber.

Possible Candidates:
  • Jerami Grant: Detroit -> Portland - Procida (36th overall pick) '23 1st, '25 2nd, '26 2nd
    • easily could've been this trade with the Pistons. We've had trade history with them with the Bagley trade and I think this would've been able to get done without #4. Just swap in our '23 1st instead.

Unlikely Candidates:
  • Rudy Gobert: Utah -> Minnesota - Beasley, Beverly, Kessler (22nd pick), Vanderbilt, '23 1st, '25 1st, '27 1st, '29 1st (protected), '26 pick swap
    • Those collections of players didn't do much for a tanking(planned) Utah team. Kessler was not seen as the player he is today. The T-Wolves were already a playoff team who won 46 games when they made this trade, so it would've come under the assumption that the 1st round picks would be late ones. Our 4th overall would've canceled out '25, and '27 picks. Although not sure we do this for Gobert.. but it's possible.. but I doubt it.
  • Donovan Mitchell: Cleveland - Sexton, Markkanen, Ochai (14th pick), '25 1st, '27 1st, '29 1st, and pick swaps.
    • the kings would not have been able to match those players. I put Sexton first because he was more highly regarded than Markkanen at the time.
  • Dejounte Murray: Atlanta - Gallinari, '23 1st (protected), '25 1st, '27 1st, '26 pick swap
    • no need for Murray on this team
  • Malcolm Brogdon: Celtics - too many bench players, '23 1st
    • I put him as an unlikely candidate because he isn't really much of a big name and probably would've been in the Sabonis trade if we wanted him

MOST LIKELY PLAYER:
  • After typing all this up, it was probably John Collins. Rumors flew everywhere about the Kings wanting him and even getting into deep talks with Atlanta. The rumor at the time ended up being that the Hawks were underwhelmed by our offer, but it sounded like they were pretty desperate to get anything they could for him. I think he's the guy they're talking about.
Safe to say, it was probably one of these guys: John Collins, Pascal Siakam, or Jerami Grant.

Sorry, I too plan to enjoy the hell out of this season but am always thinking what player Id add to this mix. I like Siakam, helps I’m a UNM grad, not State but close enough, New Mexicans need to support each other.
Still only 28 and I can’t think of a better fit. Would the Raps finally consider moving him for the right price? They will likely make the playins, maybe even grab the 8th seed but that sounds like a letdown to me, maybe time to shake it up but what would it take?
I'm embarrassed I didn't even know we went to State. I'm also UNM alum, so I'll double down on my support for him too if the price is right

Read a blurb about potential trouble with the Kings opponent tonight in the Celtics. Sounds like Brown is still a bit butthurt about being a potential trade chip for KD. Hmmm.... put him with Domas and Fox and it's looking like a triple threat to me.

Read a blurb about potential trouble with the Kings opponent tonight in the Celtics. Sounds like Brown is still a bit butthurt about being a potential trade chip for KD. Hmmm.... put him with Domas and Fox and
it's looking like a triple threat to me.
I can’t even begin to imagine what the trade packages thrown Bostons way would look
Like. Basically the entire league would be interested

dude12

Hall of Famer
Heard on the Carmichael Dave show that the Suns were interested in Davion and 3 other PG/combo guards. I’m not even sure who PHX has to deal to us that we would be interested in.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Heard on the Carmichael Dave show that the Suns were interested in Davion and 3 other PG/combo guards. I’m not even sure who PHX has to deal to us that we would be interested in.
It's nice to want things.

They have nothing to send back. Brooklyn owns all their picks. They could try to structure a deal around Cam Payne and Landry Shamet with us including Richaun going back, but why would we do that?

Here is another hypothetical:

Cam Johnson for Holmes, Davion and #24.
Bring in Bruce Brown and Sasha for the rest of the cap space

Fox Monk
Huerter Brown
Keegan Brown Edwards
Cam Sasha Lyles
Sabonis Lyles Queta

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Here is another hypothetical:

Cam Johnson for Holmes, Davion and #24.
Bring in Bruce Brown and Sasha for the rest of the cap space

Fox Monk
Huerter Brown
Keegan Brown Edwards
Cam Sasha Lyles
Sabonis Lyles Queta
that Cam went to the Nets in the KD deal. (also a FA?)

It's nice to want things.

They have nothing to send back. Brooklyn owns all their picks. They could try to structure a deal around Cam Payne and Landry Shamet with us including Richaun going back, but why would we do that?
The Suns must have heard rumors about the Kings interest in Bazley at one point. I don't see the reason for interest and never saw it, but if true it could be workable as a sign and trade if legal. I'd rather see the Kings work some type of sign and trade for Craig if that's the route. Could work out and keep the Kings MLE free too. 1 to 1 I'd hate the value of it though but any teams that want Davion and are willing to wait, he's probably gettable in time with the MLE.

im talking sign and trade with the nets. He is said to not want to sign there but he is restricted and they can’t let him go for nothing
The value is actucally pretty good on that trade IMO, but the thought of paying Johnson salaries that match that is scary. No way can he produce and live up to that with Sac. He's another player that basically would fit in with what the Kings have already. More creation dependence for a team that clearly needs more shot creators. If Cam goes to the right team maybe he can prove his abilities to be a top option like Mikal did with the Nets, but right now he's more of the same according to the stats. That could end up just being more burden for Fox/Monk to carry come playoff time. The Kings have three options this summer, 1. Get way more talented at the top of the roster. 2. Get way better defensively. 3. Maybe land somewhere in the middle of 2 and 3.

The value is actucally pretty good on that trade IMO, but the thought of paying Johnson salaries that match that is scary. No way can he produce and live up to that with Sac. He's another player that basically would fit in with what the Kings have already. More creation dependence for a team that clearly needs more shot creators. If Cam goes to the right team maybe he can prove his abilities to be a top option like Mikal did with the Nets, but right now he's more of the same according to the stats. That could end up just being more burden for Fox/Monk to carry come playoff time. The Kings have three options this summer, 1. Get way more talented at the top of the roster. 2. Get way better defensively. 3. Maybe land somewhere in the middle of 2 and 3.
I was thinking 18-20 a year in that scenerio. What kind of salary are you thinking?

I was thinking 18-20 a year in that scenerio. What kind of salary are you thinking?
Even at 18-20 it's not the money as much as it is the years. 5 years on a sign and trade is very limiting should it not work and if he is basically what he was thusfar which is a higher end role guy. If the Kings needed his catch and shoot ability it would be one thing, but the Kings have enough as it is. They need someone who can do what they needed in the playoffs that only Fox was able to supply on a routine basis until he got hurt. Monk was next up after that but that's playing slots with him.

Even at 18-20 it's not the money as much as it is the years. 5 years on a sign and trade is very limiting should it not work and if he is basically what he was thusfar which is a higher end role guy. If the Kings needed his catch and shoot ability it would be one thing, but the Kings have enough as it is. They need someone who can do what they needed in the playoffs that only Fox was able to supply on a routine basis until he got hurt. Monk was next up after that but that's playing slots with him.
I think I’m more bullish on Keegan being that scorer we need and as a result I’m happy adding 3 and d role players around the Fox/Sabonis/Murray core. If you look at what Keegan did in the playoffs coupled with his history of major improvements year over year I like his chances.