[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

I listed to the Dunc'd on Pacific Conference trade Podcast today. Kings were last. Mostly fast forwarded to their stuff. It was LOL. We still are not watched at all. They said Keegan has not lived up to the 4th pick and that Gary Harris would be a defensive upgrade over Davion Mitchell who has just been bad. The basically said you can't trade Barnes for a player better than Barnes, which is probably accurate and that Holmes is a negative asset, also probably accurate. They said nobody would want Davis and that was the extent of their analysis. Basically Monte is making calls, but won't get anywhere without giving up a bunch of future picks.

I listed to the Dunc'd on Pacific Conference trade Podcast today. Kings were last. Mostly fast forwarded to their stuff. It was LOL. We still are not watched at all. They said Keegan has not lived up to the 4th pick and that Gary Harris would be a defensive upgrade over Davion Mitchell who has just been bad. The basically said you can't trade Barnes for a player better than Barnes, which is probably accurate and that Holmes is a negative asset, also probably accurate. They said nobody would want Davis and that was the extent of their analysis. Basically Monte is making calls, but won't get anywhere without giving up a bunch of future picks.
Duncan is the ultra turbo analytics nerd who doesn't deviate from what he thinks is the optimal archetype for a player and team construction. And yeah I seriously doubt they're grinding any Kings film, even though our offense is what every analytics nerd dreams of seeing in action

I agree with your take. But I also think that sometimes trades happen due to non-basketball reasons, like helping out a player who needs to set up his next payday - in order to make an agent happy. The Kings don’t need a starter. Something might shake loose.

Bolding this for the sheer stupidity. Rookie with top 3 all time 3-pt% from a rook, starting on a team leading their division, 7 games over .500 and 8 wins away from hitting the Vegas over and busting Colin Robinson's sure thing on the under at the mid-point of the season (also we're now 5 wins away from matching our 21-22 win total). Also if you want to be a technical little weasel, Keegan did not start until game 4 vs. Memphis so let's scratch the first 3 losses from our record and say "the Kings began the season 0-3 but are 25 and 15 (.625) since Keegan was named a starter".

He's also apparently now 4th in VORP among rookies, which is pretty good for the 4th pick in the draft. But I guess technically one of those picks isn't even playing and another one has been fairly disappointing thus far. But yeah ok. He is the one not living up.

Sounds like a dumpster fire. Blow it up Monte!

He also had Sabonis listed as the 18th best center before the season and moved him up to 11th about a month ago. I have not heard any Sabonis takes since he's gone on his 20 double double in a row tear.
No way anyone takes this guy serious.I mean one would have to put some serious garbage centers ahead of Domas to move him all the way to 18th.

Bolding this for the sheer stupidity. Rookie with top 3 all time 3-pt% from a rook, starting on a team leading their division, 7 games over .500 and 8 wins away from hitting the Vegas over and busting Colin Robinson's sure thing on the under at the mid-point of the season (also we're now 5 wins away from matching our 21-22 win total). Also if you want to be a technical little weasel, Keegan did not start until game 4 vs. Memphis so let's scratch the first 3 losses from our record and say "the Kings began the season 0-3 but are 25 and 15 (.625) since Keegan was named a starter".

He's also apparently now 4th in VORP among rookies, which is pretty good for the 4th pick in the draft. But I guess technically one of those picks isn't even playing and another one has been fairly disappointing thus far. But yeah ok. He is the one not living up.
Yeah, all that stuff matters for sure, but I will say, this is probably going to end up in redraft scenario that sees Murray as dropping down the list. I mean, it's hard not to considering the type of player he is in the modern game anyway but Monte didn't leave things unfinished post draft. He drafted a fit guy then made the other moves he needed to so in the end this isn't a team that can be justified in any other way than totality as all winning teams should be. 1 v 1 you probably draft different but yes, this team wouldn't be nearly as good now without him for sure. And also yes, it's unfair because he's a role guy and if Barnes keeps this up, will probably remain so. If Monte tries to shop a Murray/Davion package at the deadline because the Kings are somewhat stuck in the middle range he'll probably be disappointed in the return value but that depends on other teams as well. Maybe, just maybe if you find the right desperate team? Or maybe just maybe coach Brown is making Murray pay his dues before he says, "OK, here's your post game back"? I'm starting to think coach Brown being the player coach he is has a longer term plan in mind.

They are always super negative about the Kings. I don’t even bother anymore.

Yeah, all that stuff matters for sure, but I will say, this is probably going to end up in redraft scenario that sees Murray as dropping down the list. I mean, it's hard not to considering the type of player he is in the modern game anyway but Monte didn't leave things unfinished post draft. He drafted a fit guy then made the other moves he needed to so in the end this isn't a team that can be justified in any other way than totality as all winning teams should be. 1 v 1 you probably draft different but yes, this team wouldn't be nearly as good now without him for sure. And also yes, it's unfair because he's a role guy and if Barnes keeps this up, will probably remain so. If Monte tries to shop a Murray/Davion package at the deadline because the Kings are somewhat stuck in the middle range he'll probably be disappointed in the return value but that depends on other teams as well. Maybe, just maybe if you find the right desperate team? Or maybe just maybe coach Brown is making Murray pay his dues before he says, "OK, here's your post game back"? I'm starting to think coach Brown being the player coach he is has a longer term plan in mind.
Should he flex next time he dunks? I can't think of anyone better for the Kings in last year's draft. I was hoping Jabari Smith Jr. would drop, but man am I happy.

It's hard to look at where the Kings are and think someone else would be a better fit. Sometimes it's not about the individual talent or potential, but what makes the team better RIGHT NOW. I don't see the Kings at 3rd in the standings with Ivey. This team is looking to win NOW, and the team, for those who have been paying attention, isn't built for a rebuild.

Look, I think this argument held more water in the off-season, when we didn't know what we would get (kind of, we knew we weren't tanking with Sabonis and Fox), but you can't arguably look at who we ended up with and how he, and the team, is excelling and say he's just a role guy who would drop in a redraft. He's doing exactly what we ask and more.

When people do redrafts, just like when they are mocking next year's draft in January - they typically aren't drafting for any kind of roster composition in mind, unless one player just stands out as totally perfect for a team that passed him up - they are drafting BPA for whatever date they have the hindsight of drafting for.

There was not a more ready made for this roster player than Keegan. But even that assumes we knew we'd land Huerter and Monk (probably did but that would be "illegal" if we had talked to them).

In 2019 there was still a possibility where even as big a project/reach as Marvin was, he tunes his dad out and doesn't get hurt and we don't hire Walton and he develops into a top 5-6 guy from his class and we build on the 2018-2019 season and it isn't a total loss. In 2023 that book is shut and Vlade is the worst GM in history (not fair, but hey).

In 2023 Murray deserves some props and respect even if in 2028 folks with the benefit of hindsight can tell you why we should have drafted Shaedon Sharpe or Johnny Davis.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
When people do redrafts, just like when they are mocking next year's draft in January - they typically aren't drafting for any kind of roster composition in mind, unless one player just stands out as totally perfect for a team that passed him up - they are drafting BPA for whatever date they have the hindsight of drafting for.

There was not a more ready made for this roster player than Keegan. But even that assumes we knew we'd land Huerter and Monk (probably did but that would be "illegal" if we had talked to them).

In 2019 there was still a possibility where even as big a project/reach as Marvin was, he tunes his dad out and doesn't get hurt and we don't hire Walton and he develops into a top 5-6 guy from his class and we build on the 2018-2019 season and it isn't a total loss. In 2023 that book is shut and Vlade is the worst GM in history (not fair, but hey).

In 2023 Murray deserves some props and respect even if in 2028 folks with the benefit of hindsight can tell you why we should have drafted Shaedon Sharpe or Johnny Davis.
Given his current state, I would not expect that to happen lol