[Game] Kings vs. Grizzlies 10/27/2022 7pm Pacific, 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Years ago in the 90s the team didn't have much talent, but they played over .500 at home and brought more effort.....going 0-3 at home is poor....they didn't bring enough effort on defense. in this game
Yeah, the bench guys are playing like they don't want to get their hands dirty instead of down and dirty dawgs, with the exception of Mitchell. And with Mitchell the opposing team just switches off him to get somebody else.

It's a highpost pivot offense. Pretty basic read and react stuff but this is probably the most competent offensive system this team has run since Cousins was on the team.
Based on what? I see us getting open 3s that's a plus, but I don't see a consistent pick and roll game or a attack to bucket unless Fox is going in. Seems inconsistent at best

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They are going to have to figure that end out. Sabonis isn't going to be your last line. Teams are really starting to attack him. Fox has stepped up but I still think switching pick and rolls and staying up is the only way to really be a legit defensive squad if you don't have a ton of defensive personnel and this team simply doesn't. In time perhaps they get a team scheme down but keeping it simple on both ends is needed now.
It sure looks like they are doing a lot of switching to me; that's how they get another defender other than Mitchell in their face.

Another question. Is Sabonis a PF all of a sudden? What happened to his court vision? I thought we could run a offense through him?

Now we are getting out rebounded and out muscled. And he can't shoot anymore? What happened to his mid range shot? His occasional 3?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Based on what? I see us getting open 3s that's a plus, but I don't see a consistent pick and roll game or a attack to bucket unless Fox is going in. Seems inconsistent at best
Based on Sabonis's playmaking and his two-man game with Fox. Part of the reason the bench has been struggling is because we're almost sticking to the offensive system too rigidly with Holmes trying too hard to stick to Sabonis's spots on offense.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Another question. Is Sabonis a PF all of a sudden? What happened to his court vision? I thought we could run a offense through him?

Now we are getting out rebounded and out muscled. And he can't shoot anymore? What happened to his mid range shot? His occasional 3?
Maybe ask this on a night where he wasn't one assist away from a triple-double?

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone foresaw the bench being this bad. It was supposed to be a big advantage for us every night. Monk has been great the past 2 games, TD was good the first 2, but that's basically been it from the bench. Everyone else has been straight unplayable bad.

Hopefully Huerter doesn't have to miss time. We're basically back to being a 6-man playable rotation at this point.
that has to be on Monte/Vivek. With all the 2nd Round picks we had to not have drafted a single rotation player speaks poorly.

Two I had hopes for Sabonis to be able to hit a 3 ball and space the floor. He isn’t a plus defender and without spacing the floor he is slightly above average on the offensive end. Right now the Sabonis Hali trade is not a win.

it’s only 4 games but boy it isn’t looking great at the moment.

You know those games that start out where one team can’t miss and the other can’t hit the broad side of a barn? Just about the time you settle in for a blowout win, the dud team will catch fire and win it in the end. That’s how this season is starting out. We aren’t going to be this bad the whole time. The basketball gods are funny that way.

It sure looks like they are doing a lot of switching to me; that's how they get another defender other than Mitchell in their face.
They do when they have to but they are still helping over and down quite a bit. I'm saying every time. Switch everything until they get some confidence or the levee breaks. Brown wanted them to fight over screens and that's why Okpala obviously was starting. He can do that. They were playing a Warriors style defense earlier. We are starting to see the corners open up more and more as they have to cover at the rim.

Years ago in the 90s the team didn't have much talent, but they played over .500 at home and brought more effort.....going 0-3 at home is poor....they didn't bring enough effort on defense. in this game
We litterally do not have a home field advantage. We get worse calls at home than on the road. I don't understand it for the life of me. The refs constantly kill our momentum. All these touch fouls.

And if I here Katie say lead with the body one more dam time on a bs tick tack foul I'm going to kill someone

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Maybe Missouri is too close to Memphis where it’s playing locally??
What part of Missouri do you live in? I ask because Kansas City is closer geographically to both Chicago and Oklahoma City than it is to Memphis. If you live on the west side of the state, you shouldn't be subject to blackout for Grizzlies games... Are you subject to blackouts when the Grizzlies play other NBA teams?

I didn't foresee this, but it looks as if half or more of the guys he's going to match up with, are not good match ups for him. I hadn't considered him to be a smaller center, but he does look undersized out there. Which means a lot, because he's a physical player.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
that has to be on Monte/Vivek. With all the 2nd Round picks we had to not have drafted a single rotation player speaks poorly.

Two I had hopes for Sabonis to be able to hit a 3 ball and space the floor. He isn’t a plus defender and without spacing the floor he is slightly above average on the offensive end. Right now the Sabonis Hali trade is not a win.

it’s only 4 games but boy it isn’t looking great at the moment.
Don't get me started on that!:D Especially when Brooks was the 45th pick in the draft. And Bane was #30.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They do when they have to but they are still helping over and down quite a bit. I'm saying every time. Switch everything until they get some confidence or the levee breaks. Brown wanted them to fight over screens and that's why Okpala obviously was starting. He can do that. They were playing a Warriors style defense earlier. We are starting to see the corners open up more and more as they have to cover at the rim.
Personally, I'd like it better if they didn't switch at all so that a Mitchell and Okpala could have more of an impact on the game, but I'm not going to pretend I know better than Brown. If they had more length on this team (or would at least be able to use it in Len), it would make things a lot easier.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
why did the scheduling gods have to be so cruel. 3-9 really is a best case at this point to open the season and I feel like these guys are improved over last year and at least deserve something positive to be said :(

Our next 4 games might be more winnable.. miami, charlotte, miami, orlando. They are still better than the kings with the exception of maybe orlando but hey they sure aren't warriors or grizzlies good. Could see the Kings going 2-2 or 1-3 during this stretch.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We litterally do not have a home field advantage. We get worse calls at home than on the road. I don't understand it for the life of me. The refs constantly kill our momentum. All these touch fouls.

And if I here Katie say lead with the body one more dam time on a bs tick tack foul I'm going to kill someone
She is an incessant blatherer. I've never heard an announcer talk so much and say so little. I've had to turn down the volume nearly entirely to endure it. Turning on the radio to listen to Gerould just doesn't work because of the time delay.

Personally, I'd like it better if they didn't switch at all so that a Mitchell and Okpala could have more of an impact on the game, but I'm not going to pretend I know better than Brown. If they had more length on this team (or would at least be able to use it in Len), it would make things a lot easier.
That's Mitchell and Okpala though and Mitchell is still getting pinched on screens too. You have to switch, the rules basically make it impossible not to and every team does it now. If you lack length and size you unfortunately have to play way into the offensive player then. Like Fox has been doing. Attack the dribble and disrupt passing lanes by playing way up into them. They are letting guards peak around those screens and get wide open. The other night they never even forced Curry to drive the lane until the came back in late.

Status
Not open for further replies.