Players likely to be in the 2nd round:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Oscar Tshiebwe: C/PF, 6'9", 255 Lb's, 7'4" wingspan, Jr., Kentucky.
30.3 mpg - 16.3 ppg - 61.5% fgp - 00.0% 3pp - 72.7% ftp - 15.2 rpg - 0.9 apg - 1.6 blk's - 1.6 stl's

Tshiebwe (pronounced Sheeb-way) is one of my very favorite players to watch in this draft. He's leads all of college in rebounding. He's an absolute monster on the boards. It doesn't matter who he's up against and how tall they are. He's still going to get his boards. He has terrific hands! Get the ball anywhere within his reach, either rebounding, or receiving a pass, and he catches it. . He's built like a tank and is one of the strongest players on the floor in almost every game. He's a very good post player with excellent footwork around the basket.

He's also amazingly agile for a man his size. He runs the floor with the best of them, and defends well on the perimeter. I wouldn't call him a prolific shotblocker, but he's he does defend the basket blocking 1.6 shots a game. He's excellent at fronting his man and preventing the entry pass, and by the same token, he's good at fronting his man and receiving the entry pass. He sets excellent picks and operates well in the pick and roll. Oh, and he's a good passer as well. You could argue that at times he's the best player on the Kentucky team, that's loaded with good players.

This year, Tshiebwe is the heart and soul of the Kentucky team and their offense more often than not starts with him. How all this translates to the NBA is a question I can't completely answer, but I know he can rebound, and that almost always translates. He's developed a 15 foot jumper in the lane this season and hits slightly over 50% of them. He doesn't take many, but it does bode well for the future. He sounds like a lottery pick, or at worse, a bottom of the first round pick. But right now, almost every mock has him going somewhere in the 2nd rd. I have no idea why other than he's a Junior and a little older than some of the other bigs.

I would use a 2nd rd pick on him in a heartbeat. By all accounts he's a great teammate on and off the floor, and a very hard worker. He's the kind of player you love to have on your bench. Someone that will come in and move some players around, and if he bangs into you, you will move! I think he's being underrated, or perhaps over thought. I think he has a place in the NBA, and I think he's going to surprise some people.

Kind of reminds me of Cousins here and there in the paint. Doesn't look like he has enough hops to jump onto a piece of paper but he uses his weight and size very well.

Really excited to see what Tristan Vukcevic can do now that he's left Real Madrid where he was never going to get playing time and come home to Partizan (would have been better if he went to a weaker ABA to play more). He's been listed as a lotto pick before (currently predicted to go 40th) (18 years old) and I'm excited to see what he can do in a full game. I expect him to get solid- heavy minutes in the ABA next season but maybe not in the Euro Cup the guy from clips looks very talented. Just from clips reminds me of a more coordinated more athletic Belly (not the shooter as Beli is atm/has a better frame than belly to/better post game/worse passing). The big men just keep coming!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kind of reminds me of Cousins here and there in the paint. Doesn't look like he has enough hops to jump onto a piece of paper but he uses his weight and size very well.
Ahhh, take the time to watch him play in a game and I think you'll be surprised by his hops. He's actually a surprisingly good athlete.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Really excited to see what Tristan Vukcevic can do now that he's left Real Madrid where he was never going to get playing time and come home to Partizan (would have been better if he went to a weaker ABA to play more). He's been listed as a lotto pick before (currently predicted to go 40th) (18 years old) and I'm excited to see what he can do in a full game. I expect him to get solid- heavy minutes in the ABA next season but maybe not in the Euro Cup the guy from clips looks very talented. Just from clips reminds me of a more coordinated more athletic Belly (not the shooter as Beli is atm/has a better frame than belly to/better post game/worse passing). The big men just keep coming!

I'm also interested to see him play, and hopeful that he's get significiant minutes with Partizan. He was like the forgotten man on the Real Madrid team, but that's the way of it on that team. They have their pecking order and you have to earn your way up it.

kb02

All-Star
Kario Oquendo of Georgia. A two guard version of Tyrese Maxey. Needs to work on his shot to make it in the league, but dude is a scrappy scorer.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Alondes Williams: PG/SG, 6'5", 210 Lb's, Junior, Wake Forest.
34.0 mpg - 19.8 ppg - 53.2% fgp - 33.0% 3pp - 70.6% ftp - 6.8 rpg - 5.1 apg - 1.2 stl's - ORtg 114.0 - DRtg 96.0

I think Williams is one of the best PG's in this draft, and yet, he's not listed in the 1st rd on any of the mock drafts I've looked at. This has been a breakout year for Williams after transferring from Oklahoma to Wake Forest for his Junior year. I'm sure one of the causes for such a low draft status is the fact that he'll be 23 years old on draft day. To my mind, that means some team will likely be getting a player with 1st round talent in the 2nd round. Williams is a very good ball handler who can get anywhere on the court that he wants.

He's an excellent finisher at the basket shooting over 60% there. He's a very good, and at times, a very creative passer. He's only the 2nd player in Wake Forest's recent history to record a triple double. He's a very good rebounder for his position averaging almost 7 boards a game. He's a very unselfish player who looks to pass first. He does need to improve his 3 point shot which doesn't look broken. Defensively, in the games I watched he more than held his own. How that will translate remains to be seen, but he's a good athlete with good instincts.

Most importantly is that he knows how to play the game, something I'm going to keep harping on. I want players who know how to play, have a good motor, and can defend. There are times when I think we get too caught up with three point shooting. Yes! It's important, but if you can score 20 plus points a game, and do it efficiently, while not shooting three's, who cares? But I digress! I like Williams who can also play off the ball equally well, and with his size, he can play SG as well as PG. I don't think you can go wrong with him in the 2nd round. However, don't be surprised is some team grabs him at the bottom of the 1st round.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Reading the tea leaves on final records (which is pretty easy at this point) the answer is 2: Our own and Chicago's (which will be basically worthless).
In many ways, the top five picks in the 2nd round are more valuable than the last five picks in the 1st round. Nothing is guaranteed in the 2nd round. Not the money, nor the length of contract. So financially, you would rather have the 31st pick in the draft than the 30th pick in the draft.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Just a random shower thought that occurred to me (yes, I think of these things in the shower) but is there anyone else who's hurt their draft stocks more by staying out an extra year than Roko Prkačin and Marcus Bagley? Both dudes were getting 1st round projections last year and are now almost entirely off most draft pundits' big boards.

Obviously both guys have been injured but...

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well as I've mentioned before, Lee is one of my favorites. He currently projected to go in the 2nd rd, but I think he's definitely 1st rd material. He's know mostly for his shooting ability, but he's quite capable of putting the ball on the floor and attacking the basket. He's also an underrated defender, and no, I didn't say he was a lock down defender....

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Baja - you scout Jalen Williams on Santa Clara yet?

I think he might be a first rounder. He’s a big guard with lots of skill.
Williams has had a breakout year this year, increasing his stats in almost every category. Especially his 3pt shot, where he's shooting over 40% on almost 4 attempts a game. His overall shooting percentage has gone up as well. What I like about Williams is his passing ability. Obviously Santa Clara isn't on television as often as the top conference teams are, so I didn't get to see him play as much as I would have liked. He's more likely to go in the 2nd rd, but all it takes is one team to take a liking to him and maybe he slides into the bottom of 1st rd, but it's a long shot. He's not an elite athlete, and the fact that he plays in what some consider a mid-level conference, along with being an older player, will hurt his draft status.

However, if Santa Clara gets a berth in the tournament, and makes some noise, who knows. Santa Clara came in third in the conference behind St. Mary's and Gonzaga, and lost a close game to St. Mary's, so maybe the committee will show some love. I haven't checked the projections so I have no idea.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
However, if Santa Clara gets a berth in the tournament, and makes some noise, who knows. Santa Clara came in third in the conference behind St. Mary's and Gonzaga, and lost a close game to St. Mary's, so maybe the committee will show some love. I haven't checked the projections so I have no idea.
Lunardi does not have Santa Clara in the first eight out, and with them not advancing to the championship game in the WCC (i.e. not beating either St. Mary's or Gonzaga, I'm not sure who they played off the top of my head) I don't imagine it looks good for a tournament berth for them. NIT would probably be a real possibility, and while it's not as high-profile, I think a lot of those games are televised.

Lunardi does not have Santa Clara in the first eight out, and with them not advancing to the championship game in the WCC (i.e. not beating either St. Mary's or Gonzaga, I'm not sure who they played off the top of my head) I don't imagine it looks good for a tournament berth for them. NIT would probably be a real possibility, and while it's not as high-profile, I think a lot of those games are televised.
I agree with this take. They had injuries early that derailed their NCAA hopes. They have been playing like an NCAA team lately - but no way they make the tourney. USF has a better shot of being the 3rd WCC team in this year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Your right! Unfortunately their out of conference schedule isn't nearly as tough as Gonazga's or St. Mary's. And the rest of their conference isn't that great once you get past Gonzaga and St. Mary's. So it doesn't look good for them. I can see them in the NIT. Santa Clara is a good team, and may be better than a few teams that do make the tournament. Just the luck of the draw. I'm heading up to our mutual friends house for March Madness on the 23rd. Should be a good time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Justin Lewis: SF/PF, 6'7", 245 Lb's, 7'2" wingspan, Sophomore, Marquette.
32.2 mpg - 16.8 ppg - 44.0% fgp - 34.9% 3pp - 76.1% ftp - 7.9 rpg - 1.7 apg - 1.1 stl's - 1.1 blk's

You can argue over what position Lewis should play, but he's definitely a unique player. He made a significant jump from his Freshman across the board. He jumped from around 27% from the three to just a tick under 35%. What made that stand out was that he took 5.2 attempts a game up from 1.5 attempts his Freshman year. Most players averages go down when the shot volume goes up. But in Lewis case he got better. In college, when matched up with other SF's he was able to either use his handles to get around them, or his strength to go through them.

Most mocks have Lewis going in the 2nd rd, and I think he has a lot of value there. While he may remind you of Robert Woodard, he's an entirely different player. He 's a very good passer and he surprised me with his athleticism. He's not some ground bound player. He has decent to good lateral quickness, and I think with his huge wingspan, he can become a plus defender. He showed the ability to be a 3 level scorer. He still has some kinks to work out, but the potential is there. I'd love to see what he looks like after a year or so in the G-League.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
David Roddy: SG/?, 6'5", 252 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Junior, Colorado St.
32.9 mpg - 19.2 ppg - 57.1% fgp - 43.8% 3pp - 69.1% ftp - 7.5 rpg - 2.9 apg - 1.2 stl's - 1.1 blk's

I'm going to start with a qualifier. I think that if Roddy can lose 25 Lb's and keep it off, he's an NBA player. He's remarkably athletic despite weighing 252 Lb's. Roddy is a very skilled player and a master of the spin cycle. He was fun to watch, because when you see someone doing what you don't think he's capable of, well, that's fun! He has decent to good handles and he's capable of playing above the rim. He loves to post up and use his size to bully his way to the rim. Once in position, he has a lightning quick spin move preceded by a ball fake that is almost automatic if no help arrives.

Roddy is also a very good 3 pt shooter averaging 43.8% from the three. He was above 45% for most of the year. He has nice form and a quick release. Although his free throw percentage is a little low, 69.1%, he shot 73.9% as a Freshman, and just under 80% (78.9%) as a Sophomore. He's a very efficient player scoring 19.2 pt's on 12.5 shot attempts. He has a great motor, which brings me back to my qualifier. If you can grab this player in the 2nd rd, and get him in NBA shape, you just might have yourself a very good basketball player. To me he's low risk and very high reward. This is a very talented player.....

Justin Lewis: SF/PF, 6'7", 245 Lb's, 7'2" wingspan, Sophomore, Marquette.
32.2 mpg - 16.8 ppg - 44.0% fgp - 34.9% 3pp - 76.1% ftp - 7.9 rpg - 1.7 apg - 1.1 stl's - 1.1 blk's

You can argue over what position Lewis should play, but he's definitely a unique player. He made a significant jump from his Freshman across the board. He jumped from around 27% from the three to just a tick under 35%. What made that stand out was that he took 5.2 attempts a game up from 1.5 attempts his Freshman year. Most players averages go down when the shot volume goes up. But in Lewis case he got better. In college, when matched up with other SF's he was able to either use his handles to get around them, or his strength to go through them.

Most mocks have Lewis going in the 2nd rd, and I think he has a lot of value there. While he may remind you of Robert Woodard, he's an entirely different player. He 's a very good passer and he surprised me with his athleticism. He's not some ground bound player. He has decent to good lateral quickness, and I think with his huge wingspan, he can become a plus defender. He showed the ability to be a 3 level scorer. He still has some kinks to work out, but the potential is there. I'd love to see what he looks like after a year or so in the G-League.

Looks a little like Noah Vonleh.

David Roddy: SG/?, 6'5", 252 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Junior, Colorado St.
32.9 mpg - 19.2 ppg - 57.1% fgp - 43.8% 3pp - 69.1% ftp - 7.5 rpg - 2.9 apg - 1.2 stl's - 1.1 blk's

I'm going to start with a qualifier. I think that if Roddy can lose 25 Lb's and keep it off, he's an NBA player. He's remarkably athletic despite weighing 252 Lb's. Roddy is a very skilled player and a master of the spin cycle. He was fun to watch, because when you see someone doing what you don't think he's capable of, well, that's fun! He has decent to good handles and he's capable of playing above the rim. He loves to post up and use his size to bully his way to the rim. Once in position, he has a lightning quick spin move preceded by a ball fake that is almost automatic if no help arrives.

Roddy is also a very good 3 pt shooter averaging 43.8% from the three. He was above 45% for most of the year. He has nice form and a quick release. Although his free throw percentage is a little low, 69.1%, he shot 73.9% as a Freshman, and just under 80% (78.9%) as a Sophomore. He's a very efficient player scoring 19.2 pt's on 12.5 shot attempts. He has a great motor, which brings me back to my qualifier. If you can grab this player in the 2nd rd, and get him in NBA shape, you just might have yourself a very good basketball player. To me he's low risk and very high reward. This is a very talented player.....

Oo love it. He's like the embodiment of every chunky dude who wishes they had bounce and a guard skill set. And I thought his wingspan looked good and from a quick google search, looks like 6'11. Saw he was ranked 246 in his class, so it's impressive enough that's he's played his way into draft consideration. Those dudes generally have a massive chip on their shoulders.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reading the tea leaves on final records (which is pretty easy at this point) the answer is 2: Our own and Chicago's (which will be basically worthless).
At the time this seemed the case, but the Bulls went 7-15 to finish the season and now the Kings have #37 and #49. There will be good players available at both slots. Whether the Kings draft correctly or not remains to be seen. So far McNair has picked 2 good to great players in the 1st round and is 0-2 on 2nd round picks with the jury still out on Queta.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
At the time this seemed the case, but the Bulls went 7-15 to finish the season and now the Kings have #37 and #49. There will be good players available at both slots. Whether the Kings draft correctly or not remains to be seen. So far McNair has picked 2 good to great players in the 1st round and is 0-2 on 2nd round picks with the jury still out on Queta.
If I recall, the Chicago pick was going to be in the 52-53 range when I wrote that, so it did improve a bit. I'm still not really sold on the depth of the second round in this draft. #37 might have a solid player. At #49 I'd love to swing for the fences with whatever swing-for-the-fences type guy is left. Peyton Watson might be there. But I'm not holding my breath on finding a player at #49.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure there will be a wing slated to go in the late 2nd or undrafted that will have a good NBA career.

Watson, Caleb Houston, Trevor Keels, Hyunjung Lee, Johnny Juzang, Jabari Walker, Matthey Mayer, and Jaime Jaquez are all in that range depending on the mock draft you look at. I've even seen Harrison Ingram and Jalen Williams in that range in more than one mock.