Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Holy water and demons!

Though, all kidding aside, if there was a coach who has a chance to take Fox to that next level, it's probably Jackson. Former PG, likes throwing dudes under the bus, and will definitely yell at Fox in practice and in public. I mean, Fox is going to rise or he's going to drown with Jackson. So be it. It's time for Fox to show who he is.

I know some on this board is going to go, but, but, but, but look at Fox's numbers! Fox will always have good raw numbers given how much he dominates the play. I'm talking Ja Morant levels where he's willing to do anything to win.
Jackson has said a few times on his broadcast that the best player on your team has to be committed to the defensive end of the floor for the team to succeed. This last broadcast he said the same thing. I couldn't help wondering if he was doing his broadcast AND sending a message to Kings' brass when he made that statement.

Jackson has said a few times on his broadcast that the best player on your team has to be committed to the defensive end of the floor for the team to succeed. This last broadcast he said the same thing. I couldn't help wondering if he was doing his broadcast AND sending a message to Kings' brass when he made that statement.
Maybe, I mean his whole deal as an announcer has been that of "hand down man down" so... lol.

It's interesting that the front office has apparently narrowed the list down to 2 candidates according to the Twitterverse and (at least) one of them hasn't even been formally interviewed yet? Very interesting indeed.
I honestly didnt even think about that but bery interesting indeed

I honestly care less about his personal religious beliefs, they are his and should not be called into question. The issue is bringing them into the locker room and forcing group prayers (zero problem of prayers with his staff and players which are voluntary). My issue is his dreadful treatment of other staff (fighting with assistant coaches and FO officials) his willful dereliction of duty (allowing mike malone to be the de facto coach while he remained the face), and his disregard for proper medical treatment (holy water instead of medicine, rest and therapy for steph).

Additionally, people here keep mentioning he started the turn around for the warriors which is only partially true. There was a clear upswing in talent when the reigns were given to steph (over monta ellis) and tge drafting of Klay. BUT this was the guy who ran the offense through Bogut (who himself was never an amazing offensive player) and kept starting and sticking with David Lee (a career defensive black hole) in over a young Dramond (first major changes made by Kerr which propelled the team forward.
And this is someone with about as much real coaching experience as Luke freaking Walton. Talk about going down the same path except this dudes been removed from the game for nearly a decade. It's clear what this is and always was, Vivek is easily duped by the political types, nothing more. Smooth talk him and he goes gaga.

Listen... We need a face of the franchise at this point. Fox is not a leader, Sabonis is good but he has no star power. Jackson is the guy. Hes not the guy to win us a championship, but hes the guy we need to get to the next steps. He will bring attention off the players and onto him, something we need right now because none of our guys like to step up when it counts. Trust me, we need a name, and hes the name. He may not be the coach we want, but hes the coach we need. Its that simple. 3 years from now after 2 playoff appearances, and after hes burned his bridges, we can get the coach we want.... Doug Mutha F n Christie

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Listen... We need a face of the franchise at this point. Fox is not a leader, Sabonis is good but he has no star power. Jackson is the guy. Hes not the guy to win us a championship, but hes the guy we need to get to the next steps. He will bring attention off the players and onto him, something we need right now because none of our guys like to step up when it counts. Trust me, we need a name, and hes the name. He may not be the coach we want, but hes the coach we need. Its that simple. 3 years from now after 2 playoff appearances, and after hes burned his bridges, we can get the coach we want.... Doug Mutha F n Christie
3 years from now, and zero playoff appearances is probably what you meant to say.

Listen... Trust me, we need a name, and hes the name. He may not be the coach we want, but hes the coach we need. Its that simple.....
"Trust me ..... " is a automatic red flag. The team doesn't need a sideshow or "name," it needs a competent coach. If Jackson gets it, how would it not appear that this is Vivek vicking all over again? The team needs that?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given Jackson's history of building his bench I'd be surprised if he retained Christie as an assistant unless Vivek and/or McNair told him to.

The issue with the Kings is the players don't have attention and this is more of the same attention the Kings should be looking to get away from. While it sucks for Jackson in Sac, and while in LA that might be true, in Sac it just kicks more sand in this franchises face. If they didn't back up every needling joke from the media with their best 3 Stooges impersonation as an organization then it might be doable, but fact is, go that route and they might not even survive the ridicule. He's a "name" for all the wrong reasons. And he's not the experience the Kings were supposedly looking for either. If he had been in the league even as little as a few years ago, maybe that changes things but honestly, a franchise that seems to make all the wrong moves that appear to be the wrong moves to everyone but them is going to tune out yet another swirl of whispers wondering what the F they're thinking?

Hope so.

I am quite nervous. This news update is either going to be a punch in the gut or a big relief. Being a kings fan is not a good life choice but here we are.
All the leaks to the press stopped when Joe Dumars left G1C so now we have to wait patiently. I hope the announcement is a big relief. Only in the Kings chaos theory do we end up relieved and happy for the FO hiring an average competent coach.

All this the sky is falling talk are the same people that where on the bandwagon for Walton. Nobody anywhere has said he was a bad coach, not one. Anyone we hire is going to get scrutinized. The fact is, there is nobody on this team that has shown consistent leadership. Jackson will at least call out his players "sometimes bad" when they are taking games off, not playing hard ect. Take lebron out of browns career and he doesn't even have a job right now. He doesn't get me excited at all. Jackson is not the same person from 10 years. The man has taken his licks and guess what, hes still on top, still in the nba, even without a coaching job just yet. Not many men have been blackballed, yet still are in coaching considerations 10 years later

Given Jackson's history of building his bench I'd be surprised if he retained Christie as an assistant unless Vivek and/or McNair told him to.
O hes def not retaining Christey, But its not to say that Christy will float off into the sunset. If has meant to be a coach it will happen. Guess im in the minority here when i say id like Jackon as a coach. He has something to prove. I dont want another GS assistant, im still traumatized.

"Trust me ..... " is a automatic red flag. The team doesn't need a sideshow or "name," it needs a competent coach. If Jackson gets it, how would it not appear that this is Vivek vicking all over again? The team needs that?
When has he ever been called a incompetent coach? lets be real here the man can coach. He brings some bagage but coaching is not one of them. be careful, dont get your hopes to high, he has a 50% chance right now of being the next head coach of your favorite team lol. Worst things have happened in Sac

All this the sky is falling talk are the same people that where on the bandwagon for Walton. Nobody anywhere has said he was a bad coach, not one. Anyone we hire is going to get scrutinized. The fact is, there is nobody on this team that has shown consistent leadership. Jackson will at least call out his players "sometimes bad" when they are taking games off, not playing hard ect. Take lebron out of browns career and he doesn't even have a job right now. He doesn't get me excited at all. Jackson is not the same person from 10 years. The man has taken his licks and guess what, hes still on top, still in the nba, even without a coaching job just yet. Not many men have been blackballed, yet still are in coaching considerations 10 years later
I don't think you remember the Walton hiring all that well lol

When has he ever been called a incompetent coach? lets be real here the man can coach. He brings some bagage but coaching is not one of them. be careful, dont get your hopes to high, he has a 50% chance right now of being the next head coach of your favorite team lol. Worst things have happened in Sac
Can the man coach? By all accounts he favored david lee over draymond. He let mike malone develope players, run practices and game plan while he was busy with his ministry. He did improve golden state but did have 3 future hall of famers (2 of whome were entering their prime). So by all accounts, he can take the credit, but his time in GS is not proof of anything except he can create drama. There is a reason he hasnt sniffed a job in 8 years.

That may all be true, but never question the Kings ability to make the questionable call on the outside eventually look like the worst call in history to the media and be called such until they follow it up with another record breaker. Narrative is set, Jackson = Vivek, Monte = Brown. And narratives do matter, especially heading into a year right down the road where FA dreams become a possibility. All a coach has to do is use these guys right. If you need a coach to inspire players with locker rooms speeches it's all for not anyway. That's a bunch of horse ****. Yeah, it might help but even the Zen master watched his golden rep tarnished when the talent under him changed names and there wasn't enough incense in the world to fix it. This isn't a LeBron team so a coach can very easily have their own ideas about how to play. Like Walton did, which mostly involved turning Fox from a potential star PG to a ball watcher from the corner. Mark Jackson to me would be a perfect option for a desperate Lakers team who could use the ability Jackson would bring from day 1 to share the heat of the spotlight. That team has AD/Bron, a recent title, and more guarantees so a locker room tirade or supportive talk could work wonders. Maybe it would here as well, but there is so much farther to go than that. This is all about personnel usage at this point or it should be.

Nobody wanted Bill Walton’s Son LOL

also his name is Bill Walton’s Son!
A65C5F86-8DB1-461A-8CDD-8D51A4DAD004.jpeg

Can the man coach? By all accounts he favored david lee over draymond. He let mike malone develope players, run practices and game plan while he was busy with his ministry. He did improve golden state but did have 3 future hall of famers (2 of whome were entering their prime). So by all accounts, he can take the credit, but his time in GS is not proof of anything except he can create drama. There is a reason he hasnt sniffed a job in 8 years.
entering there prime is a huge statement, green was young and "green" Lee was a beast at that time so nobody could blame him at all. curry was injury prone and klay was a nobody. Lets not act like he benched the current warriors. We could be talking about fox, sobonis and mitchelle in the next years. What if he benches fox for mitchelle next year who becomes the greatest thing since slice bread. For coaching in the now, he brought the warriors to the next level, thats undeniable..

I think most people here recognise that the sky has fallen and will continue to do so regardless of what we do. I have seen several critiques of Walton's coaching chops from people outside KingsFans. But. On the current topic of Mark Jackson or Mike Brown. Cool if you like Jackson but surely you can understand why people would prefer someone like Brown. Of the two, one candidate has had one coaching job that they did 8 years ago. While you can still find whispers of his positive impact, most of the discourse has been negative and the team has not looked back since. The other candidate has had many coaching jobs with NBA teams as well as a national team. He has been an assistant for three successful teams, winning three championships. As an NBA head coach, he has won 62% of games. Most of those teams are different to the Kings in that they have had actual talent, so there are some question marks. But the same is true for Jackson’s celebrity appearance as a coach.

That may all be true, but never question the Kings ability to make the questionable call on the outside eventually look like the worst call in history to the media and be called such until they follow it up with another record breaker. Narrative is set, Jackson = Vivek, Monte = Brown. And narratives do matter, especially heading into a year right down the road where FA dreams become a possibility. All a coach has to do is use these guys right. If you need a coach to inspire players with locker rooms speeches it's all for not anyway. That's a bunch of horse ****. Yeah, it might help but even the Zen master watched his golden rep tarnished when the talent under him changed names and there wasn't enough incense in the world to fix it. This isn't a LeBron team so a coach can very easily have their own ideas about how to play. Like Walton did, which mostly involved turning Fox from a potential star PG to a ball watcher from the corner. Mark Jackson to me would be a perfect option for a desperate Lakers team who could use the ability Jackson would bring from day 1 to share the heat of the spotlight. That team has AD/Bron, a recent title, and more guarantees so a locker room tirade or supportive talk could work wonders. Maybe it would here as well, but there is so much farther to go than that. This is all about personnel usage at this point or it should be.
The thing is we do need a coach to inspire us. Sorry it is what it is. Im not saying he will get us to a championship. Hes a good stepping stone

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
The thing is we do need a coach to inspire us. Sorry it is what it is. Im not saying he will get us to a championship. Hes a good stepping stone
No, we don't. We need a coach to put players in a position to succeed. We need the players to believe in the coach's ability to gameplan. Rah rah bullcrap doesn't work with a young, disjointed team, especially one that hasn't received proper coaching since Joerger.

Getting them to know their role and shut their mouth is more important here.

Status
Not open for further replies.