Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
EXORCISMS FOR EVERYONE LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Holy water and demons!

Though, all kidding aside, if there was a coach who has a chance to take Fox to that next level, it's probably Jackson. Former PG, likes throwing dudes under the bus, and will definitely yell at Fox in practice and in public. I mean, Fox is going to rise or he's going to drown with Jackson. So be it. It's time for Fox to show who he is.

I know some on this board is going to go, but, but, but, but look at Fox's numbers! Fox will always have good raw numbers given how much he dominates the play. I'm talking Ja Morant levels where he's willing to do anything to win.

From Amick in the Athletic:

As Bleacher Report’s Jake Fischer noted on Tuesday, there is indeed a strong sense from sources close to the situation that Jackson is the preferred candidate of Kings owner Vivek Ranadive. But the Kings insist there’s a level playing field, and that second-year general manager Monte McNair will be given the leeway to make the final decision.

Considering Ranadive denied Joe Dumars’ attempt to become McNair’s new front office boss this week before his exit to the league office, there is recent evidence that the Kings owner is showing internal support for his GM. Only time will tell if that is the case with this hire.
Good news maybe? At least in the next 48 hours we should get clarity on whether this franchise is beyond hope. A Jackson hire is pretty much a hall pass / marching orders for us all to give up

Watching the Amick and CD convo today on Youtube. Sure sounds like it's going to be Mark Jackson. This board is going to be so fun when it happens. Lolzzz. Let's do this, Vivek. I'm 100% behind you.

On the sidelines, if they hire Jackson they might as well save their breath on Pride celebrations, and all the other diversity-related outreach events…the Kings will have lost all credibility hiring an outspoken homophobe.

On the hoops front, I don’t see a lot of upside for either side. If he gets torched here his hopes of future coaching gigs are over.

Well if Jackson is hired, i expect sabonis to get into it with him, fox to get severe leg injury made worse by holy water. I expect a parade of crapty assistant coaches and a fight between the coaching staff within the first 4 months. I expect this be a dumpster fire.

Last edited:
On the sidelines, if they hire Jackson they might as well save their breath on Pride celebrations, and all the other diversity-related outreach events…the Kings will have lost all credibility hiring an outspoken homophobe.

On the hoops front, I don’t see a lot of upside for either side. If he gets torched here his hopes of future coaching gigs are over.
This is the main thing I just cannot for the life of me square with Jackson even interviewing. If there is one candidate that would directly contradict much of the diversity/community efforts that the organization has taken over the past couple years (and they have clearly stuck their necks out ahead of the pack on much of this) it would be Jackson. I understand people can change and grow; however, Jackson is a pastor and I would expect that many of his views are deeply held. It would be such a head scratching decision from a PR perspective.

I ag
This is the main thing I just cannot for the life of me square with Jackson even interviewing. If there is one candidate that would directly contradict much of the diversity/community efforts that the organization has taken over the past couple years (and they have clearly stuck their necks out ahead of the pack on much of this) it would be Jackson. I understand people can change and grow; however, Jackson is a pastor and I would expect that many of his views are deeply held. It would be such a head scratching decision from a PR perspective.
I agree but that’s life in general. Humans are a walking contradiction. I’d venture to guess a fairly high percentage of players share Mark’s perspective.

I would really love to hear Barnes view on Mark.

I'm not surprised at all we also employ Matt Barnes and Josh Jackson.

It's pure conspiracy theory but I'm sticking to my belief that Jackson keeps advancing to get us doing our homework and embracing Brown's positives until the day Jackson is named coach.
This seems like the big brain 5head play. I think if you polled every Kings fan "Jackson or Brown for HC" you'd get like 95%+ siding with Brown. Easy way to unite us all under the Brown HC pick because of the immense relief of not having Jackson.

But, we are the Kings, Vivek still owns this team, so we can't ever rule them out doing the most dumb thing possible.

Did you see that “scathing” report on the bee this morning???? I totally agree Jackson is not my choice and he never has been. I know you can’t believe everything you read BUT Vivek needs to make at least one just one smart decision and move on from Jackson for sure. Oh yes, I forgot I’m talking about Vivek …SMFH

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I’d venture to guess a fairly high percentage of players share Mark’s perspective.
This is just a thing a lot of secular sports fans don't like to admit to themselves but a very, very large percent of the athletes they cheer for have some pretty deeply held religious beliefs. It's not uncommon to see half a team in a pre-game prayer circle.

I don't care for his brand but I'm far more concerned about the Xs and Os aspect and I don't see Jackson as an upgrade to anything we've had since before Vivek got here. Coincidentally about the last time Jackson actually coached in the league.

This is just a thing a lot of secular sports fans don't like to admit to themselves but a very, very large percent of the athletes they cheer for have some pretty deeply held religious beliefs. It's not uncommon to see half a team in a pre-game prayer circle.

I don't care for his brand but I'm far more concerned about the Xs and Os aspect and I don't see Jackson as an upgrade to anything we've had since before Vivek got here. Coincidentally about the last time Jackson actually coached in the league.
I honestly care less about his personal religious beliefs, they are his and should not be called into question. The issue is bringing them into the locker room and forcing group prayers (zero problem of prayers with his staff and players which are voluntary). My issue is his dreadful treatment of other staff (fighting with assistant coaches and FO officials) his willful dereliction of duty (allowing mike malone to be the de facto coach while he remained the face), and his disregard for proper medical treatment (holy water instead of medicine, rest and therapy for steph).

Additionally, people here keep mentioning he started the turn around for the warriors which is only partially true. There was a clear upswing in talent when the reigns were given to steph (over monta ellis) and tge drafting of Klay. BUT this was the guy who ran the offense through Bogut (who himself was never an amazing offensive player) and kept starting and sticking with David Lee (a career defensive black hole) in over a young Dramond (first major changes made by Kerr which propelled the team forward.

Whatever the outcome I think this current drama backs up the FO not trying to push Luke out immediately. FO has proven a baseline level of competency and recommending a well-pedigreed coach off the Warriors bench and Vivek is still having trouble containing himself. Reports make it sound like he’s trying to be at least halfway deferential which I don’t think happens two years ago

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly care less about his personal religious beliefs, they are his and should not be called into question. The issue is bringing them into the locker room and forcing group prayers (zero problem of prayers with his staff and players which are voluntary). My issue is his dreadful treatment of other staff (fighting with assistant coaches and FO officials) his willful dereliction of duty (allowing mike malone to be the de facto coach while he remained the face), and his disregard for proper medical treatment (holy water instead of medicine, rest and therapy for steph).

Additionally, people here keep mentioning he started the turn around for the warriors which is only partially true. There was a clear upswing in talent when the reigns were given to steph (over monta ellis) and tge drafting of Klay. BUT this was the guy who ran the offense through Bogut (who himself was never an amazing offensive player) and kept starting and sticking with David Lee (a career defensive black hole) in over a young Dramond (first major changes made by Kerr which propelled the team forward.
If you remember correctly, it was the Warriors front office who dealt Ellis for Bogut to (1) put the ball in Steph's hands more and (2) allow Klay to start at SG. Basically, that trade forced Mark Jackson into the Warriors' Splash Brothers backcourt.

I'm not a fan of Mark Jackson for a few reasons, but just strictly from a basketball sense, he made poor decisions the last time he was a coach, and he hasn't been in that position for nearly a decade. I just don't see the appeal. But it's Vivek, so it will probably happen.

If you remember correctly, it was the Warriors front office who dealt Ellis for Bogut to (1) put the ball in Steph's hands more and (2) allow Klay to start at SG. Basically, that trade forced Mark Jackson into the Warriors' Splash Brothers backcourt.

I'm not a fan of Mark Jackson for a few reasons, but just strictly from a basketball sense, he made poor decisions the last time he was a coach, and he hasn't been in that position for nearly a decade. I just don't see the appeal. But it's Vivek, so it will probably happen.
Vivek is the smart guy in who no-one likes so he has to show he is so much smarter thsn everyone else. He has to prove that he can make work what others dont see. He has an chip on his shoulder to prove he belongs in this game (buddy is next steph, walton can coach, jackson can be a good team coach).

Status
Not open for further replies.