Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
this point of view has been beaten to death on this forum.

Monte’s win now move is trading a good young player on a rookie contract for a better player that is 25. That is a weird criticism if you ask me. Trading Ty for CJ McCollum would have fit that narrative better.

You could make the argument we should have tanked in previous years but the idea we were going to somehow lose more games than the six ahead of us this year is ridiculous.

If we as fans of the Sacramento Kings have a championship or bust mentality we might as well switch teams. Even a franchise level talent doesn’t guarantee it and there are a long list of teams and players that don’t get one.

If we make the playoffs next year it will be hella fun and we will likely have cap room to make a big splash if we are an ascending team.
Yeah titles are pretty much exclusively won by teams with a top 5 player and avoid injuries:

Giannis
Bron/AD
Kawhi
Steph
Steph
Bron
Steph
Old Spurs trio with ascending Kawhi
Bron
Bron
Dirk (with a strong overall committee)
Kobe
Kobe
KG/Pierce
Duncan
Wade/Shaq
Duncan
Pistons by committee
Duncan
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Duncan/Robinson
MJ
MJ
MJ

So 2, maybe 3 times if we include the 2011 Mavs, in the last 25 years as a team won a title without one of the most dominant players in the league at the time. I do think we're seeing more parity in the league in recent years as the talent level is as good as it's ever been so that should help hopefully balance things. But in general, to be an actual title contender, you need one of the generational talents on your squad.

Actually love this report, because we'll know for 100% certain it's Vivek pulling the strings and there's no hope for this franchise until he sells the team. Jesus Christ.

Hope Vivek is watching what's happening with the A's, because that's coming if Jackson is hired. He'll be the breaking point for most fans.
G1C is gonna be empty for a longgggggg time

this point of view has been beaten to death on this forum.

Monte’s win now move is trading a good young player on a rookie contract for a better player that is 25. That is a weird criticism if you ask me. Trading Ty for CJ McCollum would have fit that narrative better.
Its not just about one single move. Its about that every single move has been win now for whatever reason. Going in to the season as a win now team, not fully tanking early enough when we still had the chance for higher lottery spot and not getting any additional future draft assets like a long term thinking team should probably do.

You could make the argument we should have tanked in previous years but the idea we were going to somehow lose more games than the six ahead of us this year is ridiculous.
Of cource I can make the argument especially when we have the benefit of the hindsight for the past 1, 3, 5 or 10 years to look at and see that the results of win now strategy has been so garbage that we have been clearly the worst franchise for the past 10+ years. Its also a choice what type of lineups we put on thw court. You saw what type of lineups played for the OKC, Portland or other tanking teams. There are no rules saying we were forced to play Barnes 38+ minutes on meaningless games or other vets. We chose to do that and because of that we had no chance to be top 6 pre lottery. We have to live with the consequenses of, again, win now move.

If we as fans of the Sacramento Kings have a championship or bust mentality we might as well switch teams. Even a franchise level talent doesn’t guarantee it and there are a long list of teams and players that don’t get one.

If we make the playoffs next year it will be hella fun and we will likely have cap room to make a big splash if we are an ascending team.
Its not championship or bust. Its building a sustainable competitive team that has a chance to compete for the chip or at least be a serious playoff contender for years to come. Since we dont have the A-level franchise player, having some additional draft capital to get it either from the draft or via trade would be extremely helpful. Hopefully we get lucky on the lottery or in the draft.

And guys like Giannis and Kawhi didn’t even go in the lottery but rather ended up going 15th in relatively weak drafts to playoff teams anyways.
Data is also pretty clear on the likelyhood of getting a top tier player on the draft. Its significantly higher at the very top of the draft and that data already includes outliers like Giannis or Kawhi. I'd rather have the odds in my favor rather than hoping for outlier

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Its not just about one single move. Its about that every single move has been win now for whatever reason. Going in to the season as a win now team, not fully tanking early enough when we still had the chance for higher lottery spot and not getting any additional future draft assets like a long term thinking team should probably do.
Counterpoint: the Portland Trailblazers, who made a bunch of “build for the future moves” and tanked their way to the most embarrassingly awful closing stretch in NBA history and only wound up two slots ahead of us in lotto rankings and only got one stinking second round pick and Josh Hart for their trouble.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Counterpoint: the Portland Trailblazers, who made a bunch of “build for the future moves” and tanked their way to the most embarrassingly awful closing stretch in NBA history only wound up two slots ahead of us in lotto rankings and only got one stinking second round pick and Josh Hart for their trouble.
One slot. One slot. :D

They managed to lose to all the other tanking teams in the process, Indy who we were tied with for like 2 days, actually got to play some teams trying to win so they were never actually in reach of either us or Portland.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
also the other 4 teams in front were basically committed to playing G-leaguers and first and second year draft picks all year. Kings could never get away with that unless they had done it back when Theus was coach.

Okay, I know what one account on Kings Twitter is saying, but surely Vivek isn't tone deaf enough to hire a known homophobe to coach this team. Surely Monte has enough backbone to stand up for something here? Never thought I'd be rooting for Mike Brown as a Sac coach, but here we are.

People need to get over mark jacksons religion thing. I think people need to excercise a little TOLERANCE.
Yeah, dude can be quite a prick sometimes but who isn’t? Who isn’t a hypocrite at various moments? Damn near everyone. My opinion? Here in CA religious people aren’t thought of too highly. That tolerance thing is only suppose to work going one way. Well, too bad, cause I’d bet quite a bit of cash that he’s gonna be the kings next coach. If he ends up pulling the kings out of this 16 year tailspin I’ll bet these same people lamenting Jackson’s “various problems” won’t have one bad thing to say about him. Win here and the dude becomes “the one”.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
People need to get over mark jacksons religion thing. I think people need to excercise a little TOLERANCE.
Yeah, dude can be quite a prick sometimes but who isn’t? Who isn’t a hypocrite at various moments? Damn near everyone. My opinion? Here in CA religious people aren’t thought of too highly. That tolerance thing is only suppose to work going one way. Well, too bad, cause I’d bet quite a bit of cash that he’s gonna be the kings next coach. If he ends up pulling the kings out of this 16 year tailspin I’ll bet these same people lamenting Jackson’s “various problems” won’t have one bad thing to say about him. Win here and the dude becomes “the one”.
His religion isn’t the problem. Him being a psychotic egomaniac who once punched his own assistant coach on media day, devoted more time to running his church than running his team (Mike Malone essentially ran the Warriors’ practices while he was there), and banned Jerry freaking West (who was running the Warriors at the time) from practice is the issue.

oh and also he’s vehemently homophobic.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all we would be so much better off if we made moves for the long term five years ago. I dont see many reasons why this next five year span would be different when we look back after next five years. Mcnair making short term moves because of the ownership is literally the thing that the league should have already intervened with Vlade. The gm should never make win now moves unless the team is either already in a championship window or one move away from it. The Kings are closer to a two years away from being two years away type of team than a championship team.

I dont know what one or two first round exits brings here if it amounts to paying huge money to aging Barnes, max money to Fox and Sabonis and lots of money to other win now vets. At least if you compare that situation to where this team would achieve playoffs organically with cap space and additional future assets. Our current "win now" scenario is an extremely low ceiling team unless we get extremely lucky in this years draft and of cource we didnt do much to get the best possible odds to achieve that.

Win now moves has been incredibly bad for this franchise in the past and most likely they wont amount to much in the future either. As long as there is this speculated win now mandate by the owner, the league should step in. There is a reason why there is this shamefully long period where we have been the absolute worst franchise in the whole league. The reason hasnt been making long term moves. Making win now moves toi early has been a huge part of that
I understand your viewpoint. For me, I am barely hanging on as a fan at this point. Just making the playoffs would be enough to keep me interested right now.

And I'd argue that the reason the "win-now" moves of the past were bad for this franchise in the past were because they didn't work. Trading a FRP to jettison Stauskas, Jason Thompson, and Carl Landry to open up cap space is a particularly bad example. Especially when Divac targeted Monte Ellis and Wes Matthews and both took smaller deals elsewhere and Vlade had to pivot to Rondo, Belinelli, and Koufos.

McNair hasn't shown any inclination of making that type of move. He's looking to build around Fox and Sabonis. I think the short term goal is to make the playoffs next year, but I don't see signs that he's willing to mortgage the team's future to do it.

Most team turnarounds happen fairly quickly. Look at the Grizzlies or the Suns. It doesn't have to be a five year process. You get your core, you draft or sign another impact player and you start winning. And for me, I don't care at this point if they are able to be true contenders. I'm just tired of watching a terrible team every single season for the last decade and a half.

To paraphrase Jim Mora Sr, "Championship window? Don't talk about championship windows? Championship window? I just hope we can win some games"

Counterpoint: the Portland Trailblazers, who made a bunch of “build for the future moves” and tanked their way to the most embarrassingly awful closing stretch in NBA history and only wound up two slots ahead of us in lotto rankings and only got one stinking second round pick and Josh Hart for their trouble.
At least they understood that when playoff hopes was lost, they made sure they got as high draft pick as possible. We didnt do that and there is zero reason that we couldnt be ahead of them pre lottery. No one remembers a team doing an extreme tank for the last 30 games of the season. No one remembers a team bravely trying to win with playing Barnes 38min/game. What people remember is being the worst franchise in the league for the past 10+ years without any competiton.

Also I could spend a lot of time talking about what moves Blazers has made in the Lillard era that I disagreed with but that doesnt interest me that much. At least they realized they could just tank for as good draft position as possible.

Im just extremely tired of year after year after year hoping for some moves that benefit us long term, that we could become a sustainably good franchise that are a lock for the playoffs for many years. Year after year people defend this horrible win now strategy like never getting any additional first round draft picks, the sixers trade, signing Zbo+30mil/year worth of worthless mentors.

I dont know how good of a coach Mark Jackson would be. Probably not very good but in my honest opinion if we keep doing this short term bullcrap, the league should step in. Its shamefull how horrible we have been as a franchice and if the cource stays the same, its clearly the problem.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
At least they understood that when playoff hopea was lost, they made sure they got as high draft pick as possible. We didnt do that and there is zero reason that we couldnt be ahead of them pre lottery. No one remembers a team doing an extreme tank for the last 30 games of the season. No one remembers a team bravely trying to win with playing Barnes 38min/game. What people remember is being the worst franchise in the league for the past 10+ years without any competiton.

Also I could spend a lot of time talking about what moves Blazers has made in the Lillard era that I disagreed with but that doesnt interest me that much. At least they realized they could just tank for as good draft position as possible.

Im just extremely tired of year after year after year hoping for some moves that benefit us long term, that we could become a sustainably good franchise that are a lock for the playoffs for many years. Year after year people defend this horrible win now strategy like never getting any additional first round draft picks, the sixers trade, signing Zbo+30mil/year worth of worthless mentors.

I dont know how good of a coach Mark Jackson would be. Probably not very good but in my honest opinion if we keep doing this short term bullcrap, the league should step in. Its shamefull how horrible we have been as a franchice and if the cource stays the same, its clearly the problem.
The Kings (who were already a lottery team) sat their best two players AND were without Richaun Holmes for the last part of the season. I'm not sure how much more of a tank job they can do. You can't actually tell players to throw games.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At least they understood that when playoff hopes was lost, they made sure they got as high draft pick as possible. We didnt do that and there is zero reason that we couldnt be ahead of them pre lottery. No one remembers a team doing an extreme tank for the last 30 games of the season. No one remembers a team bravely trying to win with playing Barnes 38min/game. What people remember is being the worst franchise in the league for the past 10+ years without any competiton.

Actually, if there was one thing Vlade was actually good at as a GM, it was acquiring extra first round picks

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I liked the post, but had to laugh at the last sentence. Was that supposed to be a double entendre?:D

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Okay, I know what one account on Kings Twitter is saying, but surely Vivek isn't tone deaf enough to hire a known homophobe to coach this team. Surely Monte has enough backbone to stand up for something here? Never thought I'd be rooting for Mike Brown as a Sac coach, but here we are.
Portland hired an accused rapist while the beloved soccer teams are burning in the wake of sexual harassment and DV scandals so never put anything past them.

I think with Jackson it would come down to whether or not he convinces the owners that he isn't going to shove his religion down everyone's throats the way he apparently did in Golden State. He's hardly the one and only evangelical Christian in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.