Trade Suggestion: Fox for Simmons + #28

If Fox showed up tomorrow and demanded to be traded to an east coast team would we trade him to the Wiz for a Corey Kispert and Kyle Kuzma? That’s the equivalent of what a lot of Kings fans are expecting Morey to do.

Morey was never going to get an all star and multiple firsts but I think he has to try to do better then Bagley and Buddy.

As much as I dislike how Ben handled this situation, I would love to trade Buddy, Bags and a first for the bet on talent.
Of course he should try to get more than Buddy/Bags/1st. He should try to get as much as he can. But what he did was stupidly, predictably, torpedo his own bargaining position. According to The Athletic Morey "asked for a package of Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, the seventh and 14th picks and two future first-rounders. There was never bargaining."

You think maybe some teams that might have offered a better package than the Kings' just bowed out at that point? By all accounts, the market for Simmons is bone-dry right now (though I read one report that a "small-market team" has an offer on the table). If you're Morey, your bargaining strategy should also account for the fact that, just as with fans, a LOT of GMs really, truly don't hold Simmons in the esteem that his "25 years old, All-NBA Defense, 3-time All-Star" resume would otherwise suggest.

Plus, as others have said, it's not at all clear that Morey's whole all-star-for-an-all-star logic makes substantive sense. Just like it's not at all clear that the Lakers are better w/Westbrook than they would have been with Buddy. Westbrook is the better overall player, but Buddy is what that team most needs. Buddy in Philly or LA could revert to 43% 3-pt shooting form on ~8 attempts/game.

Look, it could still work out well enough for the Sixers. *Maybe* Simmons pulls his head out, plays well, and either gets traded for a decent package - or stays w/Philly thru the season and redeems himself in the postseason. OR not. I personally think they'd be sitting pretty w/Malcolm Brogdon and, say, Chris Duarte right now (who could have been picked w/the 1st that was also rumored to be part of Indy's trade offer).

Ugly.

No, it's not even close. It's like if we publicly blamed the last 5 years of not making the playoffs on Fox, saying our team would be there if only our star player was better, fans berating Fox on social media for "not getting better", ignoring Fox's trade request, Hali talking to the media about "how I don't care about that dude, we aren't babysitting him" and then expecting teams to give us full value for him.
Didn't we already see this scenario with Cousins? Minus the trade demands of course.

What if we get him and the first time he faces a little adversity or someone says something mean to him? He'll automatically revert to this behavior...

loving the butthurt Sixer fans somehow blaming the Kings for not wanting to trade our stud guard who would be perfect playing off of an Embiid for the ‘potential superstar’ they desperately want off their team.
One bit of warning however. Already in the preseason one Maurice Harkless seems to be getting minutes that directly impact said stud guard. Maybe both franchises end up letting their coaches diminish opposing values enough to make the trade viable in a month or so, lol.

The longer this drags out, the worse it is for Simmons (especially financially) and the worse it is for the Sixers franchise. I’m sure the fans are fed up and the team is already distracted and annoyed. Not sure what the Sixers are hoping to get in return here, but even I can see this needs to end very soon if they want to have a chance of competing for a championship this year.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
One bit of warning however. Already in the preseason one Maurice Harkless seems to be getting minutes that directly impact said stud guard. Maybe both franchises end up letting their coaches diminish opposing values enough to make the trade viable in a month or so, lol.
Bagley getting kicked out of the rotation kind of helps here though. Mo and Barnes are are pretty much our only two 3/4s at this point so it feels like Walton got the message and is going to actually play small unless he’s planning on playing Thompson at the 4 or use Woodard and King or something.

Bagley getting kicked out of the rotation kind of helps here though. Mo and Barnes are are pretty much our only two 3/4s at this point so it feels like Walton got the message and is going to actually play small unless he’s planning on playing Thompson at the 4 or use Woodard and King or something.
Personally, I think this is a strange take from his agent. Even the agent claimed he was told he wouldn't be in the rotation on opening night. That is a far cry from saying he is out of the rotation for the foreseeable future. Trying to make a public stink right now is worst thing he could do for both the Kings and for Bagley. He accomplishes nothing positive for anyone involved.

Personally, I think this is a strange take from his agent. Even the agent claimed he was told he wouldn't be in the rotation on opening night. That is a far cry from saying he is out of the rotation for the foreseeable future. Trying to make a public stink right now is worst thing he could do for both the Kings and for Bagley. He accomplishes nothing positive for anyone involved.
meh, we’re the Sacramento Kings not the Golden State Warriors. This is gonna slide under the bus by tonight or tomorrow night at the latest

I wonder if there is a recent trade offer that the Kings have refused, which the agent is trying to get the Kings to budge on

I wonder if there is a recent trade offer that the Kings have refused, which the agent is trying to get the Kings to budge on
It's possible, but this isn't how you go about it. This makes Bagley look like a petulant child who didn't get his way. There is no one left in the league that thinks Bagley deserves anything. He has to go out and earn it. That will be true if he goes to another team as well (probably more so).

The longer this drags out, the worse it is for Simmons (especially financially) and the worse it is for the Sixers franchise. I’m sure the fans are fed up and the team is already distracted and annoyed. Not sure what the Sixers are hoping to get in return here, but even I can see this needs to end very soon if they want to have a chance of competing for a championship this year.
The longer it drags out, the lower his value drops...which gives us a potential shot at buying low.

I'm all for it.

The longer it drags out, the lower his value drops...which gives us a potential shot at buying low.

I'm all for it.
Oh I’m not disagreeing. I’m just at a loss at how the Sixers are handling it. Clearly it’s getting worse almost daily.. at this point you have to trade him and the sooner the better. But whatever it’s nice that it’s not us for once.

Plus it’s not like the national narrative surrounding Bagley wasn’t already about him being the bust taken ahead of Luka.
This is maybe the one time where the Kings' ineptitude was already factored into selecting the worst player out of the next 4 picks so nobody is going to turn back around and say "Vlade made a great pick here but everything else"... Hell, even if it were true, it's going to take years for Bagley to get out from the hole he's dug for himself.

Simmons on the other hand I think there is a pretty legit argument that even as petulant as he is behaving, puts up all NBA defense and ultimately outside of Philly, Boston, NY and maybe LA and GS he'd get showered with adulation from adoring fans instead of being blamed for the reason the team which has horribly mismanaged the assets from the process has failed to get past the 2nd round.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not with morey in charge. He’s more of the “I will have a better offer 2 days from now” camp.
As the guy who traded for both end-of-Clippers-run CP3 and Russ, Morey is an expert when it comes to franchises throwing the kitchen sink into deals to acquire star guards who generally just don't seem like they want to be around anymore.

Not with morey in charge. He’s more of the “I will have a better offer 2 days from now” camp.
haha. And he very well might. Unless the rumors of some of these demands were true. If he's not delusional he was always just setting up the bar impossibly high to play the waiting game that a team somewhere in the middle of the pack will disappoint and will be willing to send off the best win now package once reality hits.

Morey isn't about to fold like a lawn chair I respect it.
As someone who hates Philly and the Process I am grateful that he is willing to die on this hill. Maybe it will spare other teams the indignity of their star players going Simmons. Maybe it won't. But it sure isn't going to help Philly win any championships if he refuses all reasonable offers.